Code of Conduct

Default I don't want to smell "fresh."

I find I am going to have to recant my last thread requesting fresh frag suggestions. I re-sampled a few things today, Vetivers by Lanvin and Guerlain and Eau Sauvage. They are all nice fragrances, but nothing that I want to smell like. These are some of the best composed classically fresh fragrances available, but the sharp, bright pungency of citrus, and of vetiver is simply not for me. Having no criticism of the fragrances themselves - they weren't sickeningly sweet or synthetic like so many "fresh" frags, that I finally started to realize that I may just not want to smell like a fresh fragrance. Not the high-quality ones, not the common ones, nor the aquatic subset.

It seems like a strange thing to say, given the American obsession with smelling fresh. It is advertised at us all the time, "Don't you want to smell fresh too?" In truth it does a disservice to the above mentioned frags to just classify them as fresh, since they aren't a product of our current hygeine neurosis. I know it is not a big deal really, but it is oddly liberating to say that I don't want to smell fresh. Has anyone else opted out of fresh frags altogether?

As far as fragrance for summer days, I found that Equipage held up really well today in a very hot and stuffy context and at no time did it become cloying or overpowering. I think it a combination of the lack of sweetness, combined with a light hand at application time. We'll see what happens when when summer peak temps arrive...

As an aside, what happened to Rive Gauche? I was looking for it to sample it today, but there was no trace at Perfumania today, and I don't think Sephora had it when I went there last week. Is it discontinued?

Default Re: I don't want to smell "fresh."

I don't think Rive Gauche is discontinued, but it seems like YSL is making it less and less available. Most Brick and Mortar stores don't carry M7 or Rive Gauche pour homme anymore, except the YSL Boutiques (so I hear). Your best bet is to purchase it online.

Your recent experiences certainly sound useful. It may be the vetiver that you're not finding suitable for yourself, along with citrus elements. At any rate, that still leaves the majority of the scent universe to explore! Equipage is a superb scent, in my top-10, and surprisingly versatile. You could do worse than to wear this most of the time or even as a signature scent, and it would save on your finances!

Given that you really like Equipage, I highly suggest that you make an effort to sample Romeo Gigli per Uomo and Sud Est (both are getting hard to find), Balenciaga's Ho Hang, and Ricci Club. Escada Pour Homme is also in the same neighborhood as Equipage and is easy to find, but is less spicy and may be cloying in hot weather. Finally, Monsieur Carven and Patou Pour Homme are also superb spicy-woodsy orientals like Equipage, but they are very difficult to find. Good luck!

Basenotes Institution

Welcome to the 'I dont want to smell fresh' fan club - glad to have you as a member!

Yes, will agree with you - perhaps we all own and wear so many 'fresh' smelling frags, simply because the industry just keeps churning them out.

I recently embraced my inner 'dirt' side and have found myself enamored of many non/fresh frags, including those bordering on downright 'dirty' (Voleur de Roses, Black Orchid and Cumming to name a few...).

Carlos,
    Another interesting post. I do have some fairly fresh scents, but my favorites are what I would call more sensual scents, bordering on slutty. That's what I'm talkin' about.

My mini-decant of Vetiver Extraordinaire just sits here in front of my keyboard, and its main purpose is to remind me of the beautiful Brazilian waitress at that nice cafe in the North End of Boston from my trip.

I just traded my Rive to Ruggles (ironically, for a fresh frag, Capucci PH), otherwise I'd deal it to ya. I think there are folks here who would trade it.

Wico's suggestions sound very intriguing... I have and enjoy Carven Homme, but that older one sounds very interesting. BTW, Romeo Gigli is frequently available pretty cheap on Ebay. I just "fired up" Escada PH today, and I'm liking it!

Ciao, Dave

I used to love Romeo Gigli Uomo as an evening comfort scent, but it is just too sweet for me these days. I used to be drawn primarily to orientals but these days someone can just walk past me wearing one and it will be too cloying. Mostly I seem to looking at dry spicy/aromatic fragances.

Wear Yatagan for a day and you'll want to smell fresh.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I agree, I don't want to smell "fresh" either. I don't like this trend of fresh, transparent light scents. In fact, I hate it.

When I use the word 'fresh' to describe what I'm wearing, I mean it makes me feel the way I do after a brisk shower. Not after a bath, that is quite different, but a quick shower wakens me up and I feel upbeat. That is what some so-called fresh scents do for me, but with a light touch. It doesn't have to be citrus, either. It has nothing much to do with feeling clean (I don't know a perfume that does that) but rather with feeling renewed.

I would never use an aquatic. They are usually synthetic and sickly.

I could walk into Boots the chemist tomorrow and buy Rive Gauche. It is still widely available in the UK. I don't think it the quite same composition I used to know and love in the 1980s, though. Has it been reconstructed? Please tell me they have not tampered with Rive Gauche.