Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default >>>> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, April 14 >>>>FLORALS

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or otherwise, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment. It's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within the themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    January ~ Oriental
    February ~ Animalic (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)
    March ~ Chypre
    April ~ Floral
    May ~ Fruity
    June ~ Citrus
    July ~ Green (2007: emphasis on vetiver)
    August ~ Fresh or aquatic
    September ~ Fougere or men's fragrances
    October ~ Ambery
    November ~ Spicy
    December ~ Gourmand
    Last edited by tigrushka; 12th April 2007 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Changed the date, S'n'S is usually the 1st Sat of the month but this time the 2nd
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: >>>> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, April 7 >>>>FLORALS

It is already 1:30am here... I am scratching my head and wonder what to wear for this Floral SnS. Floral is such a huge olfactory with so many choices and subdivided into many branches.
    I have an idea... would my nose die if I try all the floral subgroups within the same day? According to OsMoz, there are 10 different subgroups under floral namely:
    Aldehyde, Aquatic, Carnation, Fruity, Green, Jasmine, Muguet, Orange Tuberose Rose Violet, Woody Musk
    Now, I am going to start this from midnight and randomly pick something from my drobe for each floral sub-category:
    Aldehyde: Yves Saint Laurent - Rive Gauche
    Aquatic: Davidoff - Coolwater
    Carnation: MPG - Soie Rouge
    Fruity:Annick Goutal - Folavril
    Green: Hermes - Hiris
    Jasmine: Dior - Pure Poison
    Muguet: Estee Lauder - Pleasures
    Orange Tuberrose: Chloe
    Rose Violet: Lancome - Tresor
    Woody: Armani - Mania (New)

I am having hesitation now...

Blog Entries

Hiya Gorgeous ladies!! ::waves to Quarry & Coconut::

I am pretty forlorn at the moment because, even though spring has sprung, it has obviously forgotten to turn up the thermostat. I tend not to reach for florals in warmer or cooler months. So even though spring is my traditional season for indulging / submerging myself in the bounteous wonders of florals - the weather is just too cold for them.

I want to still remain faithful to the Sniff 'n' Speak cause so I shall rustle up a few 'Warm Florals' so that I can participate.

I shall probably pick one or two of the following:

Givenchy Amarige
    Chloe Narcisse
    Rasa Xtreme
    Lagerfeld Chloe
    Lagerfeld Sun Moon Stars
    Caron Bellodgia
    Caron Coup de Fouet
    Nemat Narcissus
    Nemat Sweet Jasmine
    Montale Black Aoud
    Caron Nuit de Noel
    Lanvin Arpege EDP
    Guerlain Samsara
    Serge Lutens Cedre
    Guerlain Mahora
    Bijan Woman
    Cacharel Loulou
    Caron Farnesiana
    Dior Dior Addict Eau Fraiche
    Guerlain Ylang et Vanille
    Dior Dioressence
    Dior Poison EdP
    Dana Raffinee
    Dana Tabu Red Heels
    Crabtree & Evelyn Nadira
    Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue
    Givenchy Hot Couture
    Givenchy Ysatis
    Gucci Accenti
    Guerlain Nahema
    Hermes 24 Faubourg
    Jean Patou 1000 / Mille
    Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDP or Parfum
    Jo Malone Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom and Myrrh
    Joop! Femme
    Lancome Tresor
    Lancome Poeme
    LUSH Ginger
    Moschino by Moschino
    Vivienne Westwood Boudoir
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Given the technological delays, let's address florals on Saturday, April 14.

Maybe the weather will get more spring-like in the meantime.
    I'll start a new SnS thread later this week.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Great plan, Quarry. I'd hate to think we were giving the florals a pass.

Here is what I ended up wearing for the SnS Floral 7 Apr 07, but I think we should grant an extention as this will give me another chance to examine the other subgroups for the coming Saturday.

1:30am - Armani Mania (Floral Woody )
    This one was created in 2004. It is a fresher, younger bubbly version. I think the pepper made it sharp and spicy but I felt asleep when it got down to the middle notes which is probably the essence of this scent. I was trying a mini and definitely not bottle worthy in my opinion as I still prefer the older version which leans towards a spicy oriental accord.
    Top notes : Moroccan bay leaf, Green Mandarin Orange, Black Currant, Pink Pepper
    Middle notes : Magnolia, Peony, Lily-of-the-Valley, Provençal Iris
    Base notes : White Sandalwood, Virginia Cedar, Amber, Vanilla, Musk

11:00am – Chloe (Floral Orange Tuberose)
    Created in 1975, one of the best value drug store fragrance which I could not live without. This one has a few of my favourite ingredients captured (coconut, tuberose, orris, musk, ceder and sandal). This is a tuberose powerhouse scent which can only be worn sparingly. This also reminds me one of my aunt who used to stock up a few bottles when it is on sale.
    Top notes: Coconut, Bergamot, Aldehydes, Peach
    Middle notes: Tuberose, Ylang-Ylang, Hyacinth, Orris
    Base notes: Musk, Sandal, Cedar, Benzoin

Late Afternoon – Polo Ralph Lauren Blue (Floral Jasmine)
    This is one of my work scent for summer. It is very refreshing and not so feminine given that it seems like a colourful bouquet by looking at its composition. It is not a loud jasmine scent if you compare this with A la Nuit or Diorissimo. I have sent this to a male friend in the past and he enjoys it too. Perfect to go with my crisp pinstripe shirt and tailored pants.
    Top notes : Lotus Flower, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-Valley, Pink Peony, Gardenia
    Middle notes : May Rose, Nantucket, Tuberose, Orange Blossom
    Base notes : Sandalwood, Musk, Ambrette, Moss, Vetiver

10:00pm – Calvin Klein Eternity Rose Blush (Floral Rose Violet)
    I am not a rose girl but this is a keeper because it was a Valentine’s Day gift a few years ago. This is a fruity rose and a very playful one. It smells more like a raspberry scent rose to me. It is perfect those we love berries desserts (raspberries sorbet in particular).
    Top notes : Apricot, Pear
    Middle notes : Rose, Water Lily, Freesia
    Base notes : Musk, Sandalwood, Ambery notes

And I wore Stella, a floral-rose violet for the flowerday the 7th, a truly beautiful rose-frag!

For the eve of flowerday the 7th I wore Infiniment Chopard, a floral woody musk. I have never seen anyone else mention this frag here on the board, and it hasn´t even been reviewed in the Directory. Why? It is - IMHO - really, really beautiful. Is it hard to find, or do you others find it a bore?

I have more florals, to wear the 14th!
    Last edited by Margareta; 11th April 2007 at 06:13 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Thanks for the suggestion, Joy - seems like a good idea to me! :bounce:

Must report that I had started to carry out the assignment on Saturday before I realized BN was undergoing updates. Had it all planned - like Coco- with a wardrobe of floras for the day. Never got any further than the first one - Mimosa Pour Moi - (thank you Shycat!! :wave: - a drop dead juice that is a truly fresh powdery mimosa/acacia and lasted so well I didn't want to carry out my original plan but just drift in its beauty all day.

So I did.

New plan for the 14th!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Default Re: >>>> Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, April 14 >>>>FLORALS

Good to see I didn't miss the Floral S'n'S after all!

Will probably wear CdG Red Series Rose or Carnation since I'm revisiting my numerous CdG scents...

Changed the correct date to the title, too.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Thanks Quarry for re-scheduling our s-n-s day. I am planning to wear I Profumi di Firenze Gelsomino del Deserto (Desert Jasmine) and Pierre Guillaume Tubéreuse Couture, but I am open to suggestions!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I wore Cadolle No9 on 7th and was ready to go. Then realized the board was down!!!!

So I will go for Cadolle No9 again on the 14th!
    DONNA

Oh great! The 14th works better.
    I'm going to do Guerlain Nahema.
    My Return to Guerlain Week got shut down. Oh well c'est la vie.
    There's a lot to say about Nahema, though.Wow, what a peach of a rose.

oh, i'm glad we're not going to be missing out on our floral s-n-s day!! thanks for rescheduling

I have a few to choose from, thanks to a fantastic Basenoter (whose name I will keep anonymous) who sent me a lil present when I was feeling blue last month...what will I try?? Only time will tell Can't wait!!!!

CdG Carnation is my choice of Floral for this Sniff'n'Speak Saturday.

In Finnish carnation the flower and clove the spice are both called "neilikka", and Carnation has both among its notes. There's also red pepper making this spicy little number even more red hot and sultry jasmine and rose.

I think even those who generally find CdG scents a bit too "adventurous" might enjoy Carnation.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Nothing niche but still a fragrance I have loved and worn for many years now

First extrait by Van Cleef & Arpels.

A lovely floral aldehyde and although it is not listed, I am sure there is tuberose in here.
    An elegant fragrance with 'class' written all over it.
    If possible, try the extrait. It is really a world apart from the EDT.

Notes from OzMoz:
    Top note : Bergamot, Mandarin, Blackcurrant, Aldehydes
    Middle note : Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Hyacinth
    Base note : Vetiver, Vanilla, Amber, Civet

A perfume laden with memories.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

For secound floral-sniff-and-speak-day I am ewaring J del Pozo In Black EdT and bodylotion. In Black is a "black" floral fruity. The notes are:

Top: Black Cherry, Black Pepper, Pink Grapefruit, "Top Rose".
    Heart: Black Lily, Jasmine, Violet.
    Base: Licore Wood, Madagascan Vanilla, Moroccan Cedar, Indonesian Patchouli.

Not expensive, yet one of my most charming perfumes! I have to place it in my avatar for a while, as I am so fond of it!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Frederic Malles Lipstick Rose for this sniff and speak. ( Thanks Musse )
    Rose, violets and raspberry and amber, vanilla and vetiver..some musk?

I'm not so sure that this reminds me of old-fashioned lipsticks; my first impression is that this is a gourmand scent; like rosescented raspberry jam cooked with vanilla and MUCH sugar!
    Maybe it's the sweetness that makes it feel edible to me.

I like it; and would certainly wear it if someone gave it to me; but I don't feel that it is so special that I would buy it at that price.
    I have sprayed Ombre Rose; the only rose scent I own; on my other wrist. and I prefer that one; happily for my wallet!
    Last edited by kanutta; 14th April 2007 at 09:06 AM.

Good morning, dears!
    Parfumerie Générale Tubéreuse Couture is the perfect scent to greet the warm spring (almost summery!) sunshine today. Wow, it is mesmerising! Ylang-ylang adds an exotic touch to the gloriously creamy smell of tuberose blossoms. It is definitely sweet. I also smell a coconut-ty note similar to the one I adore in Datura Noir, but there’s no coconut among the notes – it could be the tub-sugar cane accord. This scent has also a gourmand touch so typical for PG. Pierre Guillaume's hommage to an exploding, cheerful femininity.

The notes in this beauty are kalamanzi oil, green jasmine shoots, ylang-ylang, sugar cane, Indian tuberose, Sumatra benzoin and papyrus.

I wonder why we don't discuss PG scents more often?
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 14th April 2007 at 10:09 AM.

So many choices, oh my! It is Gucci Envy today, spring in the bottle, launched in 1997 and blended by Maurice Roucel while Tom Ford was the Creative Designer (or, was it Director?) for Gucci.

When it was first released, I was playing the part: assertive and slightly b..chy office worker, wearing high heels, pin-stripe suits, glasses and my blond hair in a bun. Unapproachable, finicky, meticulous, cold, probably giving out more cold then the office air-conditioner , a relatively new fling back then where I lived. Envy was a huge part of my image, and its bottle came encased in white leather.

Fast forward 10 years to right here and now: I have changed, my tastes and perception of Envy did too! Lily of the valley, hyacinth and jasmine are still there, making it delicately sunsuous and girly. I know a lot of people can't stand the smell of the lilies of the valley, especially the way it is being recreated in a fragrance: headache inducing, cloying and growing in a chemically treated forest. Not in the case with Envy -- still cool and damp, indispensable in hot climates, tender and green, dew-drenched. There is some certain fruitiness about the top, and different sites refer to it as being fresia, magnolia, honeysuckle, even peach and pineapple; I tend to think of it as floral though, much alike to that in AG Eau de Camille. There is a little bitterness about the middle notes: leafy white hyacinth, with sap and all, even the freshly broken twig of the lilac bush, crystal clear and not powdery iris. The drydown is still floral, with less musk and woods than all other Guccis before or after Envy.

Right now I think of Envy as a 13-year-old girl, left all by herself to play with her dolls and read in the garden, while her older sisters went to the ball thrown in honor of the new noble male neighbor (and potential husband!). She is envious, still being innocent, dreamy and sweet herself, she is making nosegays (what a silly word!) for her sisters. (The Italian word "invidia" (="envy") is ugly as a sin itself, I associate it with both "invisible" and "un-diva-like", so I was not surprised that they ended up with the English name.)

Surprisingly unpolular on the forums in general, Envy will always be with me. Somehow, I think there are more admirers of this Floral among us than we care to admit!

Total change.
    Caron Nocturnes it is today.

Pretty,girlie for women of any age but young at heart.

Nocturnes has a sweetness which is green so never tries to knock you over the head or give you toothache.

The myth still goes round that Nocturnes is based on Nuit de Noel. NO, only the bottle design was used as a template for Nocturnes not the fragrance.
    DONNA

Oh Wolfie - you make me want to go right out and blind-buy Envy!! Thanks for the Italian source - (The Italian word "invidia" ="envy") - makes me think of the English "invidious" which means to inspire ill will, not so much "covetousness" - "I want what you got". Who cares!! Give me the three gallon size!!

Moving right along.

First off, Asquith & Somerset English Rose shower gel, followed by Heathcote & Ivory Magnolia and Peony Luxury Body Lotion in preparation for.....(drum roll)...Fleurs de Bulgarie!!! (A very Brit morning)

This was the first Creed I bought for myself (been giving variations to my guys for years) and I bought it blind because in some perfume column somewhere some man said he bought if for himself. (Don't ask me who.) Nothing if not impulsive.

Turned out to be a great buy - I just adore the full bloom of heavy-headed rose-ness that comes right out of the bottle. The musky amber base is so well handled that it supports rather than intrudes in the dry-down. On my bod there is none of the sickly sweet sometimes mentioned in connection with this frag - one of the many benefits, I feel, of age. My chemistry tames outrageousness. :bounce: And this is one Creed that has longevity and sillage for me.

A joyous day!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Twolf, that was a gorgeous review on Gucci Envy.
    Positively nailed it right on the head. I couldn't have said it better.

A Rose Is a Rose
    ...but a rose by any other name—would not be Guerlain.

Nahema took me by surprise. It was described as a “big” rose, so I automatically expected a big, sweet, wet rose. I expected a rose dripping with honey and fruitiness, opulent like Yves Rocher Rose Absolu with its big, creamy vanilla and patchouli, or the very-berry Givenchy Very Irresistible with its anise note, or even something like Les Parfums de Rosine plummy violet La Rose de Rosine or the dried fruit, cinnamon, and powder of Poussierre de Rose.

Indeed it is powdery. (This is Guerlain, after all.) But sweet? Not immediately. To be sure, there are vanilla and tonka lurking in the base, waiting to sweeten the fragrance as time goes by, but these are usually clear notes, and the overall effect of Nahema is of a “gauzy” rose, out of focus, covered under a veil of semi-transperancy.

For quite some time, Nahema is surprisingly woody. Imagine that! A woody, powdery peach; a dusty rose. The rose never presents itself apart form the peach, it is a constantly peachy rose. My daughter commented that it reminds her of peach incense. This is the dry aspect of Nahema. (It it is not the least bit smoky.)

And it is persistent. Here is where Nahema earns its “big” rose reputation. Once the powdery, peachy rose establishes itself, there is no turning back. No other notes overtake this accord. It remains strong and true to itself until the last petals fall away.

(I especially want to mention the "green" sweetness provided by the hyacinth. I love Guerlain’s hyacinth note. I smell this next to a live hyacinth in bloom, and it captures that wild, springlike freshness in both Chamade and Nahema. I cannot speak more highly of the effect it has on me.)

Nahema is like an old-fashioned box of ladies’ face powder—the loose, peach/flesh colored powder with the aroma of cosmetics. Imagine a well-dressed woman standing at a department store cosmetics counter, surrounded by mirrors. She opens a box and applies her powder, using a fluffy powder puff. A little haze of dust arises around her face. Then she shuts the box too quickly and, “poof!” A small cloud of powder explodes and settles slowly. That is Nahema to me.

When the powder is gone, there remains the most tender, peach gummy bear candy—or a soft little piece of rose flavored loukoum. Oh! Guerlain peach. Oh!
    Last edited by purplebird7; 14th April 2007 at 02:08 PM.

Due to my allergy I'm being very careful and have applied a little dab of Penhaligon's Bluebell to my top. It's a beautiful, fresh yet quintessentially English floral. Not too sweet but pretty nonetheless. One day I will invest in a bottle.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

:bounce: Bouncing into Basenotes, high on caffeine and love of fragrance and my BN sweethearts ... drenched in nectar myself. We smell F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!

Floral Saturday gives me the opportunity to perform my three-layer act.

In circus ring #1: Wet Garden: sprayed on my t-shirted torso, it gives off that florist's fridge scent of carnations and wet stems.

In ring #2: La Chasse aux Papillons: sprayed across my long sleeves, its many sweet, white blossoms make me envy the bee who can dive headlong into their fresh petals.

In ring #3: DSH Nouveau Gardenia: spritzed lightly over La Chasse. I'd never have tried this scent if not for Shycat since other gardenia scents didn't thrill me, but this one's different and carries a musky base. It manages the La Chasse so it isn't so sweet.

I'm covered in spring! Well, my long-sleeved t-shirt is. I find only Guerlain scents work really well on my skin. Others are generally better on my clothing.
    Last edited by Quarry; 14th April 2007 at 03:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Due to a fortuitous change in weather I began my floral festivities a bit early. Spring is my season for enjoying florals and since UK weather / seasons can be so temperamental I thought I'd better take advantage of the improved conditions.

Yesterday I craved a perfume that smelled like champagne, or at least created the impression of it. My beloved YSL Champagne / Yvresse was too 'yeasty' / heavy but I found the perfect scent: Houbigant Demi-Jour!

Houbigant Demi-Jour - Aldehydic Floral - 1988
    Top: Aldehyde, Bergamot oil, Green Note, Violet
    Heart: Heliotrope, Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Rose, Ylang-Ylang
    Base: Cedarwood, Moss, Musk, Sandalwood

Although very similar to Yvresse, Demi-Jour is a tarter, more acidic interpretation of the Champagne feel. Demi-Jour is extra-dry to Yvresse's sweeter demi-sec.

This is commonly catergorised as a classic aldehydic floral, and likened to Chanel No.5, Revillion Detchema and Dolce & Gabbana Woman. But Demi-Jour has a much more youthful, modern feel on my skin with non of the cold aloofness that is a major aspect of this family. Though I must stress it isn't 'girly' either. I imagine that Audrey Hepburn's eponymous heroine in Sabrina would have worn something like this of an evening, after her sojourn in Paris.

I am sad that this beauty has been discontinued but also happy that I have had the good fortune to discover and enjoy such a beauty before it disappeared altogether.

The funny thing is, even though I love Houbigant perfumes and trust their inherent craftmanship and class, I purchased Demi-Jour first and foremost for the gorgeous cut glass Victoriana style bottle! It was one of the very rare times when the bottle / packaging influenced my purchase more than the jus inside. Luckily for me the perfume is just as delightful as the bottle it comes in. Now that's something that's worth a (Champagne) toast... Cheers!

This morning I awoke with my spring head firmly in place and went sniffing for a fresh, feminine floral to wear today. It is very warm so I am craving a sense of 'cleanness' to my perfume.

Although, my beloved spring regular, Guerlain Champs-Elysees EDT was smelling delicious again (after smelling like bleach to me in the cold weather a few weeks ago), I found myself reaching for a long neglected favourite: Cerruti 1881 Eau d'Ete (2003).

Cerruti 1881 pour Femme Eau d'Ete - Floral Floral - 2003
    Top Notes: Bergamot, Freesia, Mimosa, Violet, Blond Woods
    Middle Notes: Rosewood, Chamomile, Coriander, Jasmine, Geranium, Orange Flower
    Base Notes: Sandalwood, Ambrette, Musk

Sadly, I cannot find an individual listing of notes for this scent so have used those listed for the original upon which this summer version is based. This was the first summer version of this perfume launched and was such a great success that Cerruti have released a new contemporary interpretation every year since. A brief marketing description states: "Cerruti 1881 Eau d'ete summer fragrance is described as a soft, feminine scent that captures the freshness of nature in the summer. It features top notes of pink hyacinth and green grass, mid notes of mirabelle..."

I believe the original summer version was / is the best so far! It opens much fresher, greener than the original but has lost much of the starched crisp linen coolness. Where the original evoked a pristine, crisp, starched linen summer suit in the office, the first Eau d'Ete version evokes softly creased, worn linen (like a long skirt) worn whilst playing and lying back enjoying the sun in the park on a summer's day. Still elegant and classic, with that unique linen accord but much softer, warmer and more gently feminine throughout.

I was completely smitten when I first smelled this in the summer / autumn of 2003 and immediately bought two huge 100ml bottles. I am still only a third way through my first bottle, due to unforeseen illness and chemistry changes, but will never relinquish my stash. Today, I am reminded again of why I fell in love with this in the first place and the love affair begins anew!

For those rare ladies that adore the original Cerruti 1881 pour Femme but find it a little too staid and demanding, or just want a softer, more casually feminine version this one may be for you.
    Last edited by moondeva; 14th April 2007 at 04:03 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Hello, fellow Sniff & Speakers!!!

Last week (and again today), I decided to try out two brand new floral scents... And although they are wildly different, I am head-over-heels in love with BOTH of them.

First, on one side, our own Annette Neuffer's (http://www.naturparfum.net) Narcissus Poeticus. I need to say up front that Annette has achieved something here that I thought completely impossible: she's created a predominantly white flower scent that not only holds its floral freshness on my skin, but that I love so much I must own a full container of the stuff!

Head notes: Bergamot, Clementine, Tunisian Neroli, Violet Leaf
    Heart: French Narcissus Absolute, Tunisian Orange Flower Absolute, Indian Tuberose, Egyptian Jasmine, Bulgarian Rose Otto
    Base: Vanilla Absolute, Mysore Sandalwood, Musk

I suspect that it's the sweet and spicy base that's keeping the fragrance so lovely for me, but whatever it is, I am finding it makes me exceedingly happy. I am redolant early spring in this scent...

And full-blown springtime in Neil Morris Fragrances (www.neilmorrisfragrances.com) Storm. (Some background: I've heard about NMF as a Boston-area custom perfumer for years, but haven't been able to justify a pricey custom fragrance, and couldn't find his perfumes commercially. Recently NMF decided to open a retail line. I promptly dropped my $18 to test all six frags available. They very nicely also sent me two additional fragrance samples they plan to add to the line soon, including Storm. I must say I think the fragrances are wonderful, though not all to my taste.) But Storm really blew me away.

At first I got what I can only describe as watery notes. Then... there are flowers! Everywhere. It's late May or early June, and my skin has transformed into the middle of somebody's flower garden immediately after it's rained, and you can tell that those flowers are wet.

I would describe it as 'antique flower garden' flowers -- hyacinth and delphinium, maybe some mimosa. Also, a particularly delicious cinnamony patchouli that ends up bringing in a very subtle wet soil base with the occasional civet note. Definitely full-bottle worthy.

Happy S&S to all! :bounce:
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Ah, ComDiva, enabler extraordinaire...you make my mouth water and my nose buds cry out in expectation
    After my happy wearing of Tub Couture, I changed into Gelsomino del Deserto (Desert Jasmine), allegedly a Florence exclusive from the I Profumi di Firenze line. This morning, the very first jasmine flower of the season bloomed on my balcony, so I can easily compare and this scent is all about jasmine, a soliflore very true to the real thing. Slightly smoky and rubbery if sniffed close to the skin, otherwise I am feeling like Botticelli's Spring Goddess.

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Recently NMF decided to open a retail line. I promptly dropped my $18 to test all six frags available.
    Well, thanks a bunch. Just dropped nine bucks to try three out of the six. :bounce: Thanks a bunch!! (Background sobbing is Amex card.)

[QUOTE=purplebird7;1011127]... or the very-berry Givenchy Very Irresistible with its anise note, /QUOTE]
    I guess the anise is the culprit of the bubblegum/mouthwater smell I get from Very Irresistible; my skin bring out nothing but the anise it seems. I learn something new everyday.

I have been smelling of all sorts of flower today; lily of the valley from Jessica McClintock while I was outside gardening; and now I'm off to a film evening wih girlfriends; wearing Champs Elysées.

The Narcissus Poeticus sounds lovely Comdiva; my favorite from Annette so far is Rose Absolue.

Houbigant's glorious Wistaria...a very true soliflore.
    --------------------------------------
    Was going to finish out the evening in Dark Brilliance and savor the carnations, but ended up doing a side by side of ET Gardenia and YR Gardenia. ET had a nice gardenia "from a distance" bouquet feel, while the YR was a "I stuck my nose in the gardenia and I can't get out"...so I washed them off and am ending Saturday with Secret Datura.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 15th April 2007 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I used today as an excuse to catch up on a few of my floral samples.

Divine L’Ame Sœur- notes of aldehydes, rose, jasmine, and ylang-ylang and ambergris
    I’m sure it is well blended of fine quality essences but this just didn’t capture my interest

Caron Narcisse Noir- Do I need to duck and cover before I admit that this classic doesn’t do it for me. I found N. Blanc so overwhelmingly sweet that I may not even give it a 2nd try. But I tried N. Noir for the 2nd time today and it just doesn’t grab me. I expected sultry floral with a lot of animal skank, but on me it was just pleasant flowers with a touch of civet.

Divine by Divine- notes of peach, coriander, gardenia, Indian tuberose, May rose, oak moss, musk, vanilla, spice
    This is my 2nd try of this. The first time I wore it to bed and fell asleep in a billowing opulent floral cloud and thought I had missed the base notes. Today I was awake so I saw that the base on this is not terribly persistent, but I have found my grand floral. Regrettably the sample vial with one good dose left jumped out of my fingers and splattered the carpet, so I’m one step closer to a purchase than I would otherwise be, but it was only a matter of time. I am not generally drawn to gardenia, usually bring out the worst in tuberose, and am often indifferent to rose scents, but I really love this. Luca Turin calls it a floral-animalic, ozMos classifies it as a chypre- fruity, but I’ve seen it reviewed as a white floral .Go figure.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thanks, everybody. I know I've added new "must smells" to my list thanks to your descriptions.

Please feel free to drop petals of thought in this thread as need-be (notice how we didn't have any gentlemen jumping in on florals day?).

See you next month with fruity scents!

would you believe I came down with a migrane on Friday night, and had it all weekend?? So I didn't get to wear a floral on Saturday...but I'll definitely be wearing one today, so I'll post my 2 cents a little later

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gloomy_liv View Post
    would you believe I came down with a migrane on Friday night, and had it all weekend?? So I didn't get to wear a floral on Saturday...but I'll definitely be wearing one today, so I'll post my 2 cents a little later
    Oh! Ouch! That's awful. Hope you didn't have anything more pressing than our SnS you were committed to.

Quote Originally Posted by gloomy_liv View Post
    Ooooohhhh. Poor Badger! Hope you're up and bouncing again. :bounce: (My boss has been using soy to treat her migraines and hasn't had one in the three years she's been doing it. Have you tried?)

Meanwhile we'll sit up with you and await your report.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Oh! Ouch! That's awful. Hope you didn't have anything more pressing than our SnS you were committed to.
    Actually, I had a skit to perform at church on Sunday morning...and even though I wasn't feeling any better, I did it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Ooooohhhh. Poor Badger! Hope you're up and bouncing again. :bounce: (My boss has been using soy to treat her migraines and hasn't had one in the three years she's been doing it. Have you tried?)
    No, I haven't tried soy for my migranes (not really a big soy fan! lol) My "treatment" is basically to sleep it off...it always works.

Anyway, onto my SnS...I decided to try a fragrance that I received a sample of a few weeks ago...Aimez-Moi by Caron

I've read 2 different sources saying 2 different things about this scent - one saying it's a Floriental (OsMoz), the other saying it's a Rich Soft Floral (Michael Edwards Fragrance Directory)...I don't know...I just know it has flowers in it :P

Notes (according to OsMoz)
    Top note : Bergamot, Anise, Mint, Cardamom
    Middle note : Violet, Magnolia, Jasmine, Rose
    Base note : Orris, Heliotrope, Tolu, Vanilla

For the first 5 minutes, nothing really stood out to me...I could tell there was a nice mix of flowers in there, and there was a bit of a green hint to it too.
    After 15 minutes, the mint was really strong, but there was no one flower standing out - they all pretty much blended.
    After half an hour, the floral side was taking over - particularly the violet & magnolia. The mint was still there, but nowhere near as strong as earlier.
    One hour had passed...the violet/magnolia mix had completely taken over - no mint or anything else in sight (or smell...lol)
    Half an hour later, everything had faded a lot!! The flowers were still there, though very faint, and mixed with vanilla - smelling a bit "powdery". It stayed this way until it faded - altogether lasting 3 and a bit hours.

It's not a bad scent - not one of my favourites though. If someone gave me a full bottle, I'd happily accept it, but I don't think it's full-bottle worthy for me.

I'm very grateful to my Basenote friend, who shall remain anonymous, for sending me this and a few other scents that I can't wait to try!!!!