Code of Conduct

Thread: Amouage

Default Amouage

Has anyone experienced any Amouage fragrances?
    Last edited by thebeck; 29th March 2007 at 12:17 AM.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Amouage

The two I know are polar opposites in terms of their appeal:

Amouage Gold features a strong central civet note, wrapped in honeyed florals that leave the whole thing smelling like syrupy urine on my skin. Why would I pay $200 for this when I could pee in my pants? (I have no problem with civet in general, but I think it's handled very clumsily here.)

Others have experienced Gold quite differently, I must admit.

Then there's Dia - one of the most enchanting fragrances I've ever worn, and worth every single dollar I paid for it. Floral notes ensconced in frankincense and Cistus ladanifera, underscored by precious woods, spices, and the softest leather you can imagine. It transforms and develops continuously as I wear it, and to my nose it's beautiful at every stage.

I've never bothered trying Ciel, Silver, or Arcus, having decided to leave well enough alone after discovering Dia.

Most of the Amouage scents, especially Gold and Dia, are reviewed in depth here on Basenotes, and I'd suggest some browsing and some testing before making any decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Amouage Gold features a strong central civet note, wrapped in honeyed florals that leave the whole thing smelling like syrupy urine on my skin. Why would I pay $200 for this when I could pee in my pants?
    Hence the name, Gold.

I have a samples of Gold, Dia, Ciel, Arcus, and Silver and none are remotely bottleworthy.

^^ you forgot "imo."

I have Silver Crystal, Silver Cologne, Gold Cologne and Ciel BOTTLES. Oddly enough, I didn't think DIA was bottleworthy! I do have the spray sample, but again. not for me.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    ^^ you forgot "imo."

I have Silver Crystal, Silver Cologne, Gold Cologne and Ciel BOTTLES. Oddly enough, I didn't think DIA was bottleworthy! I do have the spray sample, but again. not for me.
    This is what makes fragrances interesting!

;-)

Arcus is a very nice (fresh and clean) scent. It is worth it for the summer.

I have tried Arcus: citrus notes with a salty herbal accord. I like it more than Bulgari Aqua, but am not sure whether its worth the hefty price.
    -

I also have a few samples of Arcus, a very pleasant smell of rain and flowers. It is very similar to the opening of Bulgari Aqua, but then Aqua turns salty. The price is the only thing keeping me from buying a big bottle. I'll just have to ration my samples carefully :\

I think many of the amouage fragrances are brilliant. I think they receive less attention than they deserve because they are expensive, and even some derision for this reason. If we leave aside the question of whether they are worth the price (which depends on how much you like them and your budget) and focus on whether they are interesting scents my answer is a resounding yes:

Dia is one of my all time favourites. Outstanding longevity, good sillage and fascinating development. Many classic masculine notes super-blended into complex accords which evolve constantly. This is one of the few long lasting frags which really holds my interest over an extended period.

Gold is also good for me. It is potent stuff, a single spray is often enough, never more than two. If you put your nose to it, it can smell messy with civet and aldehydic florals hitting hard but it has a different impact from sillage, away from the body. The way it evapourates from the skin is quite outstanding with a strong classical presence like a guerlain from 100 years ago on serious steroids. I like it, but not for frequent use.

Ciel is a really uplifting floral for fresh daytime wear. It is also strong in aldehydes and has a highly blended approach rather than single, detectable notes. I really enjoy it but find the longevity to be a little lacking.

A
    rcus is an aquatic with pathos. It captures the feel of building into a storm fairly well for me. The geranium is unusual and quite pleasing. I have difficulty with the whole aquatic/watermelon thing in general but I find this as its most acceptable incarnation.

Silver is a really fine daytime cologne. It puts me in mind of a toned down Dia somewhat, aimed at a younger buyer. The plumby notes in Dia's heart are ramped up here. It sparkles too.

The frankincense note in all of these is outstanding; really exceptional. It is apparent in different quantities in each

Cirrus tries to capture the ozonic accord with a fresh apple note which to me just veers off into "too synthetic" territory. The heart has a geranium note reminiscent of arcus with a light lavender in the background and a touch of bright wood. The notes are distinct if well blended, in contrast to other amouage scents where the blend overrides the individual notes. There is also a berry note, a little like silver mountain water.

I haven't tested the new one.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 29th March 2007 at 11:34 PM.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Off-Scenter

Thumbs up Re: Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I think many of the amouage fragrances are brilliant. I think they receive less attention than they deserve because they are expensive, and even some derision for this reason.
    What a marvelous analysis, hirch!

I think another non-scent factor that diminishes acceptance of Amouage products is the company's poorly conceived marketing campaign, which panders to gross ostentation and status mongering. I sometimes wonder whether their sales would improve if they dropped the utterly crass "most valuable perfume in the world" nonsense.

I believe that the controversy surrounding the Amouage line suggests that there is something to their scents. In order to breed such debate, a fragrance house needs to release products of distinct character. Whether you perceive them as cat pee or divine nectar, you have to admit that they are distinctive!

I own Dia and love it! Well worth the $

Ciel is also quite good and my warrant a purchase in the future.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I guess I am a 'Philistine':
    1. A member of an Aegean people who settled ancient Philistia around the 12th century b.c. 2a. A smug, ignorant, especially middle-class person who is regarded as being indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values. b. One who lacks knowledge in a specific area.
    I bought a bottle of Dia, tried it several times, and ended up swapping it out. I can't describe "why", just that it seemed so over-rated and so expensive. It was not for me and no other Amouges will cross my threshold after that experience.

I can understand why others would find them worthy though.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Following this thread I have been re-testing ciel. Here is the review I posted in the directory:

It has been a while since a fragrance has moved me this much. This is a beautiful uplifting positive fragrance which works for me in fine spring weather when I am feeling the joys of being alive. The initial blast of light flowers and sparkling citrus with an aldehydic roundness drops off into frankincense (the best I have ever smelled) and mixed florals with a slight fruity sweetness surrounding a fantastic rose. This accord persists for some hours, the bitter edge of the pure smelling frankincense is mellowed with great craft and skill by the other notes, particularly the rose. This is the standout feature for me, an innovative and very successful handling of a note that is difficult to blend and can be dominant in an unpleasant way. The drydown also is very pleasing with all the notes still detectible, a slight powder and an accord which reminds me of the floral aspects of guerlain's famous base with some bitterness from the incense remaining; blended with the other notes this puts me in mind of a bigarrade note, though this late in the development it cannot be that. No vanilla here though.

Overall, an underated and quietly arresting fragrance which actually delivers, to me at least, though it is true that there may be limited days which are approprite for its wear.

Anyone have any thoughts or tested ciel this spring?
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution

I think Supermarky is selling samples/decants of some Amouage's - in the Items for Sale discussion groups. Perhaps he could share his thoughts...if he's reading this thread?

(yelling out loud: Supermarky......! Where are you................!?)

I owned Arcus until I sold it last year. Read the Arcus ads...its a dead ringer description for the scent. Bottle was beautiful. Longevity was an issue with me, though I know on others it lasted longer.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)