Code of Conduct

Default On Recent Samplings & Anosmia

During the downtime, I got a good batch of decant testing 'n sniffing out of town 'n ordering done. Figured I'd consolidate everything into one easily-ignored thread.

1) I'd been wondering what was going on with frags put on my right wrist for a while -- It seemed like they were almost instantly gone. It actually took a couple of weeks of a vague 'something ain't right here' to pin it down. A bit of more controlled experimentation revealed that I've lost my sense of smell on the left side. (Which, not being a neuro person, I didn't even realize was possible...)

The differential is pretty much long-term and/or aggressive sinusitis v. olfactory groove meningioma, so luckily my history of all nature of sinus problems makes the brain tumor far less likely.

Definitely the wrooong hobby I've picked up to be losing my sense of smell. *smirk* Hopefully what's left sticks around, as I can't seem to find any case studies of burnt-out and/or neurologically damaged chemoreceptors coming back from the grave.

------

In the meantime; I've had some runs with Green Valley, Erolfa, PR's XS, Mare, The Dreamer, Quorum Silver... I think that's it.

Erolfa: I -love- this scent. I'd dash out and immediately buy a bottle if not for a highly suspect longevity on my skin. Some tries it's gone in an hour or two, other times I can catch whiffs 4-6 hours later. I'd be game to test some stuff if anyone might know of some similar scents with a little more duration to 'em.

Green Valley: On the fence. In general, I like it... On some wearings, though, the blackcurrent note just gets a wild hair and runs amok on my skin making it almost overwhelmingly sweet. As with Erolfa, the longevity is twitchy.

XS: I'm going to be repeating myself, here, I think. Enjoy the scent, iffy on the longevity. I suppose it could easily be the loss of 50% of my olfactory sensation. Had a good batch of 'note recognition class' with my girlfriend on this one. Take a good hard sniff of that first-spray XS note, then grab some random bottle of gin. Major juniper rush.

Mare: Good stuff. Like it on me, -love- it on my girlfriend. Stumbled across a bottle for twelve bucks (Yes) and snatched it up. We'll be splitting this one. I don't know about the 'oceanic' portion, as I've never technically been within sniffing distance of an ocean... The lone floral note whistling through the subtle base conjures up a 'Cool breeze' sort of imagery/sensation.

The Dreamer: They can't all be winners. I couldn't stand this stuff. Cloying to my nose, kind of a warmish thick sweetness that I don't find at all appealing. I've usually been fond of tobacco frags, so it was a bit of a surprise that this one did nothing for me.

Quorum Silver: Stumbled upon this at Walgreen's on a trip to Midland. As a big Quorum fan, I had high hopes, but I thought it was just 'Okay'. There seems to be a bit of a disonnance between the top and base notes. I like either in isolation, but there's just not a good olfactory chord struck here to me.

-------

Kouros Revisited Yet Again: I'm right on the edge of getting a decant of this damn stuff to see if some skin wears can win me over, heh. It makes me wince at times, yet it keeps sucking me back for another snort. If I could just find a way around that pinky-sweet floral note and keep all of the rest of it, I'd be set. Tried Kouros Sport -- Kind of similar to what I'd be looking for, but it's definitely a far weenier version than I'd be interested in.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: On Recent Samplings & Anosmia

Erolfa's been getting some 'love' here on Basenotes recently - must sniff it next time I'm at a Creed counter, have never gotten around to it.

Yeah I really like Erolfa, smells like ocean mist, the kinda that lands on your face on a windy day walking on the beach

i know that sounds kinda cheesy and "poetic", but it's really what it makes me think of
    there's something very salty and oceanic about it, without that annoying 'faux fresh marine" thing that all current fragrances seem to be proclaiming

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    Yeah I really like Erolfa, smells like ocean mist, the kinda that lands on your face on a windy day walking on the beach

i know that sounds kinda cheesy and "poetic", but it's really what it makes me think of
    there's something very salty and oceanic about it, without that annoying 'faux fresh marine" thing that all current fragrances seem to be proclaiming
    Erolfa is fantastic. One of my faves. I read somebody's review where they said it was like pulling up to the ocean in a luxury SUV with leather seats and rolling the windows down. (something like that). Very good description. I get great longevity from it. It smells like quiet peaceful solitude out on the sea. ( I also think it's a top notch, dressed-up clubbing scent).