Code of Conduct

Default what is an aquatic?

Sorry if this has been asked numerous times but what exactly is an aquatic? Can a citrus scent like Clinique Happy be an aquatic? I was always under the impression they were different but now I have no idea. Thanks

Default Re: what is an aquatic?

In my book:
    Aquatic: fresh fragrances like Lacoste Essential, Lacoste Cool Play, Acqua di Gio, and I guess most of the male Jil Sander scents.

Citrus: fragrances smelling foremost of citrus fruits, or similar notes that are not extracted from citrus fruits in a strict biological/botanical sense. Examples would be M7 Fresh, Concentree d'Orange Verte, Eau d'Hadrien, and to some extent Guerlain Vetiver and Terre d'Hermes.

Of course there may be hybrids, and Happy may be one of them.
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 11th April 2007 at 03:18 PM.

Aquatics have a note which gives an impression of water (ozonic, fresh) as if from a rolling river or the sea which is from entirely synthetic aroma chemicals. It often has a similar smell to watermelon. It is frequently blended with citrus, which is also a "fresh" smell and so can sometimes get confused with this but they are separate ingredients. Citrus notes are derived from citrus fruits or their parent plants or are synthesised recreations of these oils. Aquatics are a fairly recent development, citrus has been around forever (tell me that caveman didn't rub the orange peel on himself.....)
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The chemical added to scents to make the aquatic notes is calone. It is a synthetic, and it's supposed to smell like the sea. Ozone notes, I think, are different.

Aquatics are often used in conjunction with citrus notes, because the aquatic by itself would be too harsh. I personally feel that aquatics are better in the top when used without too much citrus, because even that combination is a little harsh to my nose. Calone may do better with green top notes rather than pure citrus/calone combinations.

It's all a question of taste after all...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    The chemical added to scents to make the aquatic notes is calone. It is a synthetic, and it's supposed to smell like the sea. Ozone notes, I think, are different.
    not only calone...here's a list of some of the chemicals used as "marine chemicals" (sometimes some of these even overlap with fresh air or ozone notes):

Aphermate
    Cyclemone A
    Decyl Mehtyl Ether
    Dimyrcethol
    Fleuranil
    Helional
    Intreleven Aldehyde
    Maritima
    Melafleur
    muguet aldehyde 50
    Myrac Aldehyde
    Octacetal
    Ozofleur
    Precyclemone B

notes: some of these also fall under other categories, that is, there is not one chemical that functions as a sole note in a fragrance, most of the ones mentioned also have floral,citrus,ozonic etc qualities, not only oceanic or marine "aquatic" qualities.

cheers!

Aquatic

Entirely synthetic and quirky modern sub-group which uses a variety of chemicals (e.g. calene) to introduce a suggestion of the sea, lakes, rivers and streams to the top and middle notes of a perfume. As innovative and ingenious as the introduction of aldehydes in the early 1920’s

http://shop.lessenteurs.com/index.ht...eN+EKDj2LZhvY=
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Sometimes the aquatic accord is simulated via the use of a sea salt note instead of the chemical calone.
    -