Code of Conduct

Cool Fly the Stinky Skies: Start-up airline Skybus to sell fragrances...

Well, I read on airline message board that Skybus Airlines, a new airline based in Columbus, Ohio that will fly domestically within the United States, will sell fragrances on board (among other products ranging from soft drinks to watches). Skybus hasn't released what fragrances they're going to be selling on board, as they haven't started selling tickets or gotten FAA approval to fly yet... but expect the likes of Giorgio Armani, Jean Paul Gaultier, and Kenneth Cole, not Serge Lutens, Creed, or Lorenzo Villoresi.

This isn't a new concept: many airlines, including US ones, have been doing this for years with duty-free on international routes (but not domestic ones). But Skybus is placing a new twist on the concept: the flight attendants will be trained to sell, and will get a 10% commission on all in-flight products sold (split evenly between the 4 flight attendants on each Airbus A319 jet). And yes, TSA rules do allow liquids to be sold on board planes, though I wouldn't be surprised if Skybus only sells smellies smaller than 100 mL/3.4 oz to comply with TSA carry-on requirements (in case someone buys some Acqua di Gio one way and brings it back home).

What do all of you think?
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Fly the Stinky Skies: Start-up airline Skybus to sell fragrances...

I thought the requirement was that liquids had to be 3 ounces or less. Maybe it differs by airline.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

ok i think this is a terrible idea and won't make them money. i don't know why, i just can't imagine people buying perfume while on an airplane. one because the people who are interested in perfume are not necessarily the majority of the customers, two it is such a short flight i doubt they will be so bored they will be willing to do anything, such as throw 50 or so dollars at a bottle of juice. possibly if the flight attendants are really aggressive in selling, such as offering people to sample or what have you, it might work, but it seems silly to me. i know on long haul flights they offer such things for sail but i have never actually seen anyone by anything from them. maybe that's just mynaive opinion. edit: wow two really ridiculous homonym errors in one sentence, i think it is my bedtime . . .
    Last edited by LoneFish; 11th April 2007 at 07:58 PM.

Well, Skybus got approval to fly about two weeks ago, and started flying last week.

And yes, in addition to $10(!) airplane tickets and overpriced food, they are selling smellies. In fact, I saw a shot on another website of Skybus's in-flight catalog and, sure enough, the CK IN2U ad was front and center on the cover.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Basenotes Institution

I can see it now...

Here I am in my small airline seat, struggling to fall asleep just for 15 minutes on my flight home...children in the back of the plane are screaming at the top of their lungs and their parents don't care...guy next to me in the seat has his NY times stretched all over his lap falling over onto my leg...pilot keeps interrupting the flight for an altitude check and the speaker which is right above my head has the volume way too loud...

Just as I finally prop my head against the angled window on the paper-thin pillow and start to fall asleep...the distinct smell of Kouros fills the entire airplane cabin. I look up and see a flight attendant smiling at Mr. NY Times next to me who is holding a tester bottle of Kouros and has doused his wrist in it. The wrist that will be right next to me the entire flight! 'That's CORE-OH'S...sir. Itís French! Nice huh? It's made by a company called Yavez SAYnt LOrint...I think thatís how it's pronounced. Can I take your credit card sir or would you like to sample the new...Gaultier Fleur de Male?

Sounds like a nightmare to me!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I can see it now...

Here I am in my small airline seat, struggling to fall asleep just for 15 minutes on my flight home...children in the back of the plane are screaming at the top of their lungs and their parents don't care...guy next to me in the seat has his NY times stretched all over his lap falling over onto my leg...pilot keeps interrupting the flight for an altitude check and the speaker which is right above my head has the volume way too loud...

Just as I finally prop my head against the angled window on the paper-thin pillow and start to fall asleep...the distinct smell of Kouros fills the entire airplane cabin. I look up and see a flight attendant smiling at Mr. NY Times next to me who is holding a tester bottle of Kouros and has doused his wrist in it. The wrist that will be right next to me the entire flight! 'That's CORE-OH'S...sir. Itís French! Nice huh? It's made by a company called Yavez SAYnt LOrint...I think thatís how it's pronounced. Can I take your credit card sir or would you like to sample the new...Gaultier Fleur de Male?

Sounds like a nightmare to me!
    Not a pretty picture, but very well painted .
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews