Code of Conduct

Default Chamade perfume bottles

Do any of the heart shaped Chamade perfume bottles come with a ground glass stopper or are they all with the plastic tip?

I'll be sleepless until I find out.

Default Re: Chamade perfume bottles

I did own the heart shaped bottle and the stopper was glass.
    I discovered that it that actually splittered and bits of glass where in the parfum. It had to go back and I was given the spray instead. So they could have changed the stopper since then as it was about 4 years ago.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by Zosia View Post
    Do any of the heart shaped Chamade perfume bottles come with a ground glass stopper or are they all with the plastic tip?

I'll be sleepless until I find out.
    Welcomewelcome Zosia!! Mine's vintage and has the ground glass stopper. I think the only way you're going to get any sleep is to contact the manufacturer!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Thanks for the welcome....and the news! I was recently told by an eBay seller that Chamade is not made with a glass stopper! I couldn't believe that such a beautiful classic would lack that elegant touch. Anyways, the bottle I bought was advertised as with glass stopper and it has the plastic sleeve - so I'm returning it! Am I being too...too...picky?

Quote Originally Posted by Zosia View Post
    Thanks for the welcome....and the news! I was recently told by an eBay seller that Chamade is not made with a glass stopper! I couldn't believe that such a beautiful classic would lack that elegant touch. Anyways, the bottle I bought was advertised as with glass stopper and it has the plastic sleeve - so I'm returning it! Am I being too...too...picky?
    Welcome from me as well, Zosia.

Maybe we will have to look at the meaning of the word 'stopper' first
    You have the part that goes into the bottle and the part you can see, part of the beauty of the bottle.
    For instance the stoppers of (also recent) Lalique bottles. The beauty of the stopper is often more important than the bottle itself.

But your concern is about the part of the stopper that fits into the bottle.

I just checked my oldest Guerlain extrait bottles. Shalimar (20+ years old) has a partially grounded stopper with a little band of soft material (I don't think it is the usual kind of cheap plastic). I must say that it is a good solution as I had the experience of a Lalique bottle with grounded stopper that splintered a bit.
    The 60 ml Jicky extrait bottle is pré LVMH. I am not sure of the age but I have had it for many years. This size is even discontinued for quite some time.
    The stopper of the Jicky is covered with a 'plastic sleeve'.

So it is logical to assume that Chamade is also made with a stopper covered in plastic. Certainly because the Chamade stopper is much more fragile than the one for Jicky.

As an admirer of beautiful bottles I agree with you that the grounded glass stopper is more appealing, but when you are planning to use the scent, then a 'plastic' protection of the stopper is absolutely more sensible.

Since your bottle was advertised as "having a glass stopper", well, most of the stopper is glass, only the part that closes the bottle has a coating.
    The seller may have been completely unaware of the 'importance' of having a stopper, completely made of glass.

Do you want the bottle for display and is the plastic bothering you? Then I would try to return it.
    But when you plan to use the Chamade, I would keep it and be happy that there would be no danger from splinters.

Don't lose sleep over it. Just enjoy this beautiful scent.

Whatever you decide: good luck!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Glass stopper is a general description. To be more precise, you should ask if it is a ground stopper. Vintage bottles have ground stopper (entirely in glass). Sometimes it is difficult to open the bottle and the dauber (the part that goes into the bottle neck) may break and stay there. Also, it is possible to get cut by the dauber. Nowadays, they put a plastic cap around the dauber. So it is not a ground stopper. Houses like Chanel, Guerlain use this new version today.

I just received a bottle of Chamade EdT off ebay http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/bd/65/ecb1_1.JPG

The label design indicates that it's from the early Seventies. What is remarkable about it is that the juice smells as made yesterday with sparkling top notes. It's not the first time I buy an old Guerlain and find that it smells so fresh. I don't know what they do to make them smell so fresh even after 30 years...