Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ebay to shut down all decant sales

I don't really know where to post this but....Just a heads up incase you haven't already heard , starting next week Ebay will no longer allow the sale of perfume decants on their site. I read it on both MUA & POL. I guess they have been having a lot of problems with certain manufacturers complaining or some such thing. I'm just disgusted by this...especially because I have been able to sample so many wonderful fragrances I normally wouldn't have access to.

I'm sad.

Default Re: Ebay to shut down all decant sales

This is the end of life as I know it.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Blog Entries

This does suck, I do get decants from ebay a lot...but at least we still have the basenotes sell/swap board, right?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

The end of civilization as we know it...

Before we start getting depressed and sink into perfume gloom, has there been an official announcement made regarding this ?
    -

it's been coming for a long time. decants/samples will still be sold directly/indirectly via ebay or somewhere else. people will often just have to go about it more circuitously.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Before we start getting depressed and sink into perfume gloom, has there been an official announcement made regarding this ?
    Well, I've read several threads on MUA and a few people have spoken with some of the larger decant sellers, one of which was Nancy from Fishbone and they have confirmed that this is true. I however have yet to hear it from the horses mouth so I am hoping this is all one huge ghastly rumor. Not looking good though.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    This does suck, I do get decants from ebay a lot...but at least we still have the basenotes sell/swap board, right?

Yes...thank God we have this wonderful community. I love me some Basenotes.
    Last edited by GraySwan; 12th April 2007 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hmmmm, what's the big deal? With BN and MUA, you can still get decants...I'm not getting the dilemna.

I concur with Pluran, it has been a long time coming.

Furthermore, have you ever considered that BN and MUA may be sued for selling decants?...this is also coming.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Just as long as I can get my Green Frch Tweed. Thank you ebay, for always thinking of the buyer first.

Not a laywer here, but I don't see the legal basis for prohibiting the sale of used goods. Random House can't sue me for selling used books of theirs, or selling five pages from a used book. Well, I guess the market is only free if you're a big enough player.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Selling a used bottle is one thing, selling decants of something under a label, for personal profit...is another.

TNMA

Just a suggestion from me:
    Get in contact with the ebay sellers and tell them that because of this problem you would like to deal with them direct, (as a private sale). You will probably have to organise an alternative method of payment to paypal.
    The seller has the distinct advantage of not having to pay a percentage of the sale to ebay.
    Also, you can push the seller for a slight price reduction becuase of their new advantagous financial situation. !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin View Post
    Damn!

can we still list decantable bottles in our wardrobe?
    Last edited by zztopp; 12th April 2007 at 10:14 AM.
    -

Dependent

acording to an ebay decanter I buy from, Friday is her last day. She closes her ebay store Friday night. This is rather sudden since I just purchased from her Tues. and Thurs. I get news that Fri. it's all over.
    Basenotes gives short notice to decant sellers? What's going on?
    Manufacturers don't think this is going to help their sales do they?
    were decants such a tiny fraction of niche sellers sales that they can afford to swat it away?

I don't get it! If you buy a bottle of perfume that means that its content becomes your property, you own it and as such you have the right to do whatever you want with that content. If you want to put that content into smaller bottles and then sell it then it should be your right to do so. Its not like software, making illegal copies and selling them...

Soon we'll see some kind of EULA for perfumes.

good point luca!

I edited this post cause I was kind of poking fun at some ebay merchants who ... are going to suffer enough with what's just being yanked out from under them.

Anyway, all you have to do is what's done on MUA, offer stuff for swap, and if decants aren't swappable, just list bottles for swap, work everything else out privately. Of course maybe it will be like Napster when these little old ladies and high school girls were busted . . .
    Last edited by supermarky; 12th April 2007 at 12:16 PM.

Dependent

Corporations have rights in this country. We have rights. Corporations are bigger than any one of us so they have bigger rights.

Does anyone else miss habeas corpus?

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Selling a used bottle is one thing, selling decants of something under a label, for personal profit...is another.

TNMA
    Take a look at the ebay prohibited and restricted items list. Any used cosmetic is prohibited, it doesnt matter if it's the original bottle.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/used-cosmetics.html

Dependent

from ebay:

Stacy opened and used lipstick and listed it on eBay. She has violated eBay policy.

Heidi opened an eye liner but did not use it. She listed the opened but unused eye liner on eBay. Since she did not use the item, she is allowed to sell it on eBay but must disclose the item has been opened.
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    there's nothing about pouring liquid from a large bottle to a smaller bottle. Nothing about sharing. I can see the opposition to selling used cosmetics. I wouldn't buy my wife used lipstick. that's common sense. Decants are no different than a set of toys, if I break up the set and sell the pieces individually. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it impossible to sell used perfume?

So I take it that it is not a coincidence that Ebay and Basenotes have adopted these policies at the same time.

Does this have anything to do with this case?
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/03/...ss/pricing.php

Or is this simply a matter of one or more large companies are promising legal action and this is summary compliance?

Things like this are going to lead to new peer-to-peer models in online transactions that will be similar to fileshare networks in their decentralization and efficiency.

I am disappointed. No I am ANGRY .

No explanation? No apology? Very little warning?

What is up Grant?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Perhaps decanting will just expand after being driven underground.
    Last edited by pluran; 12th April 2007 at 01:12 PM.

PARIS (AFX) - The French competition regulator has fined LVMH, L'Oreal, PPR and other luxury perfume producers and retailers a total of 46.2 mln eur for collusion in fixing sales prices between 1997 and 2000, a move that LVMH said it would appeal.

LVMH was fined a total of 14.4 mln eur, of which 9.4 mln was for its perfume retailer Sephora, 2.2 mln eur for Dior, 1.7 mln for Guerlain and 1.1 mln for its Kenzo and Givenchy perfume brands.

In comments regarding its planned appeal, LVMH said the regulator 'has refused to take the demands and specifics of luxury goods distribution into consideration'.

L'Oreal was fined 4.1 mln eur and PPR brand Yves Saint Laurent was fined 1.8 mln eur.

L'Oreal declined to comment, and no one at PPR was available for comment.

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx...fx2592193.html

According to the Commission, each of the brands entered into an agreement with its distributors, ensuring that every product was retailed at a single price, eliminating any possibility of competition amongst retailers. The biggest fines went to the three distribuotors: Marionnaud, which was fined 12.8m; Sephora, which was fined 9.4m and Nocibe, which was fined 6.2m. The Commission said that the fines reflected the gravity of the individual businesses' involvement in the cartel.
    Amongst the fragrance brands, the biggest fine went to L'Oreal, which was ordered to pay 4.2m, while Chanel and Christian Dior were ordered to pay 4.1m and 2.2m respectively, Yves Saint-Laurent 1.8m, Guerlain 1.7m and ELCO, which represents Clinique and Estee Lauder, 1.6m.
    Other leading fragrance brands that were fined included Shiseido France, Givench, Beaute Prestige, which represents Jean-Paul Gaultier and Issey Miyake, together with Kenzo Parfums.
    The Commission said that it found the fragrance companies had all entered into agreements with the national retail chains between 1997 and 2000 with the express purpose of putting a stop to any competition between retailers for each of the brands products.
    Luxury brand owner giant LVMH was hit hardest, as it owns both the Sephora retail chains, together with the four brands, Guerlain, Kenzo, Christian Dior and Givenchy.
    Although the fragrance brands have remained silent over the fines, both for legal reasons and to protect their positions, a number of vendors have spoken out against pressure to keep fragrance prices high.
    A shop in Lyons was quoted as saying of Christian Dior, the threats were clear. If we sold for more than 10 per cent under the recommended price, Dior would cut the brand out.
    The Commission referred to the price-fixing as a pricing control system that involved "checks on the prices practised, and pressure and threats of commercial retaliation against any distributor who refused to apply the prices imposed by the brand, preferring to let competition play by selling at lower prices."
    It also pointed out that although luxury brands are permitted to exercise a certain amount of control over the distribution of their products at retail outlets, the case in question had made it clear that selected distributors were not able to fix the margins, and therefore its own retail price.

http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.co...n-price-fixing
    Last edited by Luca; 12th April 2007 at 12:01 PM.

I can't believe it's come to this. As Luca pointed out, once you have legally paid for a fragrance, it should be nothing but yours. If manufacturers think decant sales are affecting their sales, why aren't they all offering samples or decants at a decent price so customers have a way to sample a scent? It's absolutely absurd.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Maybe there are also some safety regulations that prevent the selling of used (opened) cosmetics... You never know what someone could pour in a bottle or mix with the fragrance.

Ok ebay I can deal with, but Basenotes not allowing decant sales? I'm sadly disappointed as this has been a culture and tradition here on this board. I've sold, bought, swapped decants and it is a lot of fun and lets everyone try out different fragrances. What a sad day. So are used bottles allowed? This will just lead to other boards, like Perfume Isle, etc which people will go to for decants. It's like Napster getting shut down, except I could understand why that was illegel. Did that stop people from downloading free music though?
    This calls for Decantster version 1.0
    Any computer programmers out there?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Can someone suggest a place we can go to "discuss" fragrances we own and may want to share "our experiences" of?

what about a yahoo group?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Can someone suggest a place we can go to "discuss" fragrances we own and may want to share "our experiences" of?

what about a yahoo group?
    Here is a site Perfume Isle that allows decant sales/swaps

http://p075.ezboard.com/bperfumeisle
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    Here is a site Perfume Isle that allows decant sales/swaps

http://p075.ezboard.com/bperfumeisle
    Thanks.

reviews

On ebay UK you can sell used cosmetics.

What I have noticed is, Germany have banned the import of any cosmetic product not in its original packaging and sealed. Quite a few ebay sellers state they can no longer supply items to Germany and this has been the case for awhile now.
    DONNA

Wink Re: Ebay to shut down all decant sales

If basenotes is also stopping club members from selling decants aswell as ebay, then the answer is simple:

Somebody should start up a new perfume website, with a rubric for " Items for Swap".
    Under this rubric members could contact one another and " privately " sell their decants without the words " for sale " or " sell " ever being mentioned.
    Or maybe it could warrant a special new website devoted entirely to swapping, (selling) decants etc.
    It could be called simply the Perfume Swap Club.

edit (see below)
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 12th April 2007 at 01:43 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Well, that's the final straw for me. It's bad enough having to wade through the countless and disappointing new releases, and to tolerate all the lazy and foolish threads that have been cropping up of late, but this?!

I'll be off to Paris, next month, to buy a bell jar of Santal de Mysore (which is only possible to test out VIA A DECANT. Once I've got that, I'm done with fragrances. It was great while it lasted but this is definitely taking the piss.

Screw the corporate arseholes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    Ok ebay I can deal with, but Basenotes not allowing decant sales? I'm sadly disappointed as this has been a culture and tradition here on this board. I've sold, bought, swapped decants and it is a lot of fun and lets everyone try out different fragrances. What a sad day. So are used bottles allowed? This will just lead to other boards, like Perfume Isle, etc which people will go to for decants. It's like Napster getting shut down, except I could understand why that was illegel. Did that stop people from downloading free music though?
    This calls for Decantster version 1.0
    Any computer programmers out there?
    I agree; I'm afraid it will just push the older members who have lots of experience and great collections to other sites... and, most assuredly, what point is there in now paying the subscription? Quite frankly, for the last few months, being able to list/swap my decants was the only reason I kept paying it, because I was already feeling tired of being treated in the general forum like somebody's personal Macy's Sales Associate and/or Creed-authenticator.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Well, that's the final straw for me. It's bad enough having to wade through the countless and disappointing new releases, and to tolerate all the lazy and foolish threads that have been cropping up of late, but this?!

I'll be off to Paris, next month, to buy a bell jar of Santal de Mysore (which is only possible to test out VIA A DECANT. Once I've got that, I'm done with fragrances. It was great while it lasted but this is definitely taking the piss.

Screw the corporate arseholes!!!
    ...you took the words right out of my mouth, Trebor.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 12th April 2007 at 01:45 PM.

Ok. Just thinking about this, it seems there is nothing stopping people selling and swapping by private arrangement . Basenotes just can't be seen to be advertising/promoting this.

We still have wardrobes, we still have pms.........

reviews

This is bull.

Hopefully we can still pm eachother based on our wardrobe contents. Or a Yahoo group sounds like a good idea.
    --------------------------------------
    Or if only manfacturers standard bottles are permitted...

Just list all bottles as official 5ml, 7ml, 10ml manfacturers standard mini bottles, even if they aren't. The rest can be sorted by pm.
    Last edited by calexs; 12th April 2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It remains to be seen whether this is a health issue (unlikely) or corporate policing (more likely).

On the former, it's hard to imagine that an alcohol-based product like fragrance could pose the kind of potential risk that a cosmetic like, say, lipstick might.

As far as the selling of decants is concerned, one wonders if there's going to be a crackdown on the online fragrance stores that sell small samples of fragrances as a matter of course.

The whole situation - if indeed it is the result of a complaint from perfume companies - is somewhat reminiscent of the onging debate about music and iTunes. Are albums dead, when people are increasingly preferring to skim off the best singles? Not directly comparable to the situation at hand here, obviously, but if the companies see the purchase of decants as cutting into potential retail sales, they're clearly underestimating how many of us will buy full bottles of a fragrance based on a road test - a fragrance we might otherwise have paid little attention to. (To get back to the iTunes parallel, I'm more likely to buy an entire album of an artist I'm not familiar with after being able to listen to the one-minute snippets that are a standard part of the package.) On the other hand, I'm guessing that if any complaint has been made, it's been made by one of the major fashion houses - but how many of us buy decants of CK, Armani, etc. as opposed to either high-end or niche brands?
    Last edited by Morgan Creek; 12th April 2007 at 02:36 PM.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Ok. Just thinking about this, it seems there is nothing stopping people selling and swapping by private arrangement . Basenotes just can't be seen to be advertising/promoting this.

We still have wardrobes, we still have pms.........
    True, Hirch, but it's still a crappy policy, an inconvenience, and rather discourteous to loyal members who've also given a lot to the forum simply to have a blanket pronouncement made as it was with no explanation. I realize that the Administrators have to do what they have to do to keep the site running and in compliance with any laws, but it still is a policy with no benefit to members that I can see.

The wardrobes are there, yes, but they don't have sizes, availability, pricing/swaps etc. And how many times have we Pm'd someone about a decant in their wardrobe and they just never respond? I just think after a while people will stop trying because it isn't worth it and move on to other sites where they can. Outside of items listed in the sales/swap area, I've had ONE transaction that actually went through based on PM'ing via the wardrobe (and that's out of probably forty PMs sent about items, most of which got no responses or couldn't be completed because of mismatched sizes ((somebody wanted to swap me 50ml for 100ml, or I wanted to swap 10ml decants but they only had 15ml bottles, etc))).

Anyway, I've said my piece and so will leave it to the "higher-ups."
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 12th April 2007 at 02:34 PM.

When there's blood on the streets, buy property.

IANAL But I think the fundamental issue is trademark law, i.e. they want to stop people using trademarks in advertisements, when the goods aren't identical to what leaves their own factories. There is nothing to stop people PM'ing requests - unless a warrant for this communication is obtained based on solid evidence that something illegal is happening.

I do struggle to see how they could prosecute this, though... e.g. if I advertise, say, a gearbox taken out of a Dodge Viper, I can't see how anyone could prosecute for trademark infringement . . . since "Dodge Viper gearbox" would be the most common-sense description of what is being offered. There is no real alternative. Could they possibly prosecute classified ads on this basis?
    Last edited by ryanm; 12th April 2007 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Grant.

Who knows? Maybe this step will bring about more private swapping of samples and decants, and a greater sense of camaraderie among members, than is the case with purely commercial transactions.
    Renato

Is this a delayed April Fools Day thread or are you guys serious?
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I think we should at least be allowed to swap decants. Here's a website that sells decants. I believe she is a Basenotes member.

http://fragrantfripperies.com/store/

Grant, just a question. I'm sure being the middle party to this isn't very comfortable. If members had links to sites separate from Basenotes, can they still post those? Perhaps a BN advertising section members can use as a resource that lists no prices?
    Visit our perfume blog - Perfume Posse

Here is what I don't get. I see bottles all the time of imposter fragrances. They say stuff like "if you like Drakkar then try this fragrance Dark Star". Why can't we sell decants in the same way? If you like M7 then try my decant of Mr 7

The United States' regulatory agency, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, has banned the sale of used cosmetics. eBay has to comply with safety regulations, therefore they have banned the sale of used cosmetics to comply with federal law.

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms/cos-toc.html

This SUUUUCKS. As a Basenoter who lives in the bush (rural Alaska) I have a hard enough time getting items to sample. I have to get a $900 plane ticket to Anchorage because Alaska Airlines has us over a frickin' barrel, and the Native Alaskans have a stranglehold on the fuel market so no other competitors can come out here. It really blows since I can only afford to get out once a year. There are some decant sellers like Fragrant Fripperies that have non-eBay stores, so maybe I can get my decant or sample fix through them. Sigh. That's what I get for living in the sticks, I guess. Mea culpa.

So now my long-cherished method of getting samples has come to a bitter, screeching halt. I'm not just sad and angry, I'm pissed. (of course, in American slang pissed means "furiously angry" not "drunk").

Yeah, the US Administration and its agencies have A LOT to answer for - twats!

At least half of my full-sized bottles were purchased AFTER giving them a trial run via a decant. Most of these fragrances were niche scents and some of them were, at first, difficult to immediately fall in love with (Serge Lutens, anyone?). Whether or not anyone is profiting from selling decants is besides the point (it only takes basic numeracy and common sense to figure out what you're getting for your money) - decants are the BEST way to sample potential purchases. As for those crappy 1ml samples (if you can even call it that) that LuckyScent sells, now that should definitely be outlawed...
    Last edited by Trebor; 12th April 2007 at 04:32 PM.

I hate being right.

TNMA

You can buy and sell used cosmetics on UK ebay, So I wonder what will happen there?

And bottle collectors as well they usually have a drop or more still left in the bottle.
    DONNA

How are they going to police this anyway? They have a hard enough time with their current policy. I'll say it once and I'll say it again, Ebay is a sham. They claim to have no responsibility as to what goes on between seller and bidder. They just provide the webspace for the deal. So if you buy counterfeit fragrance and the seller refuses to refund, that's your problem and not theirs even though they enabled the seller to commit fraud by providing webspace. Paypal does alleviate some of this, but they can only go so far. I was fortunate to get a refund after buying fake Allure but many people including Bnoters have been burned in the past. And it's a shame that the counterfeiters get away with it as Ebay does nothing to stop them.

Ok, I'm done with my rant against Ebay.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Dependent

will the FDA ban the decanting of booze next?

Bartender! a double Johnny Walker Blue and throw that Patsy Cline cd on
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 12th April 2007 at 06:42 PM.

Well 4 of us large decant sellers on ebay
    Dragonfly00, Fishbone, Fleur-de-Lisa and Fragrant Fripperies are pleased to announce they are creating a joint perfume sample & decant sales site that should be opening hopefully by end of May of 2007. If you would like to be on the mailing list for announcements, please e-mail ThePerfumedCourt@gmail.com

Ebay is an animal unto itself & I am sad to not be selling there....but to hear i can't sell here after 5 years of membership, tons of swapping, selling & posting......well that's just sad!!!

As for resale it is legal to buy retail & resale in whole or in part.....
    I can buy a can of pepsi at the supermarket & sell dixie cups of it on the street if I like.
    Most perfume has the crimped on tops making it mighty difficult to tamper with.

I hope our new website is a success and brings many perfumistas joy & many years of testing the newest, latest & greatest scents as well as the long forgotten, discontinued, memory ladedned scents of olde to all those who wish to sniff them!!!

hope to hear from you all
    Yours truly Buffalo_Gals aka Dragonfly00on Ebay

You were the first person I thought of when Iheard all this. I looked at your ebay store recently and was shocked to see how high your feedback has gone. That's awesome. I know I've gotten decants from you and been very happy. I think people are doing an awesome service with decants and I don't mind people making a profit off of it because it does take a lot of time and effort to do a lot of decants. Good luck with your business!
    It will be sad and weird to not see decants listed on this board anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gals View Post
    Well 4 of us large decant sellers on ebay
    Dragonfly00, Fishbone, Fleur-de-Lisa and Fragrant Fripperies are pleased to announce they are creating a joint perfume sample & decant sales site that should be opening hopefully by end of May of 2007. If you would like to be on the mailing list for announcements, please e-mail ThePerfumedCourt@gmail.com

Ebay is an animal unto itself & I am sad to not be selling there....but to hear i can't sell here after 5 years of membership, tons of swapping, selling & posting......well that's just sad!!!

As for resale it is legal to buy retail & resale in whole or in part.....
    I can buy a can of pepsi at the supermarket & sell dixie cups of it on the street if I like.
    Most perfume has the crimped on tops making it mighty difficult to tamper with.

I hope our new website is a success and brings many perfumistas joy & many years of testing the newest, latest & greatest scents as well as the long forgotten, discontinued, memory ladedned scents of olde to all those who wish to sniff them!!!

hope to hear from you all
    Yours truly Buffalo_Gals aka Dragonfly00on Ebay

Buffalo Gals -
    So you're Dragonfly00! That's great news about your site, because the four of you are among my favorite ebayers.
    This entire scenario is pretty *crappy*, and as hard as we are struggling to come up with reasons for the shut-down, I think we all know the truth - money. I really don't believe the justification that the perfume houses want to control the integrity of what is sold in their name.
    It's just another industry trying to plug the leaks of the internet phenomenon, like the music industry did, but in this case, with hardly any of the justification.
    It was true during the Napster days, and is true for me now - I bought more CD's after downloading a Napster song than I have since they shut it down, and I've purchased many more bottles of fragrance after being allowed to sample and decant them from sources such as ebay/basenotes. I don't really care for sampling in the department stores, with SA's that know less than you, trying to use snob appeal, or pushing new fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    On ebay UK you can sell used cosmetics.
    Isn't Basenotes based in the UK ? If so, these US regulations might not apply to the site.
    -

Isn't Basenotes based in the UK ? If so, these US regulations might not apply to the site.
    Good point!

Probably not when the majority of the transactions are carried out by American sellers and buyers - just look at the nationalities of most Basenotes members.

I think this will reorganize decanting by bring accountability to sellers. The four ebay sellers whom most of you trust and do business will probably do more business now because the shutdown of many "unregulated" sellers on ebay will be for the organization of small grooups that can be more easily identified. This solves the concerns of both the industry by stamping out those swindlers who are changing user names cheating people and by giving more market share to those who are supported by word of mouth (honest business practice). The effect to basenotes will be minimal because those who wish to have decants will arrange for it discretely or will be funneled to the on of the reputable resellers. Who knows this might even make prices for decants decline because those honest merchants that setup there own business will have more revenue, which may lead to reduce cost of business vis a vis economies of scale.

Decants are _not_ used cosmetics. Prohibitions against the sale of used cosmetics have nothing to do with the sale of decants.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.