Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Discontinued or not ???

To me there´s a certain appeal the moment a fragrance is discontinued. It may even be one I didn´t particularly like. At the moment the production has stopped and it becomes ever more rare, I have to have it for my collection........... it becomes very special !
    I am sure there are many other basenoters who feel this way.
    The problem is finding out if a perfume is discontinued or not.
    I recently bought from a shop Poupée, (not a whoopee cushion, but the rather unfortunate name for an exquisite perfume from Rochas) along with Extravagance, (Givenchy) and
    Nino Cerruti pour homme.
    The shop owner insisted that all the fragrances were discontinued, but according to the basenotes directory they are all still in production.
    I love basenotes and really appreciate all the hard work and effort that goes into this club and I realise that it is an enormous and ever changing task to list when a perfume goes out of production, but surely such a list exists ???
    Can anyone help me on this issue ?

Default Re: Discontinued or not ???

Well to me, there is a certain attraction for all discontinued fragrances but only for research purposes, and only slightly if it'll catch my eye to be in my personal collection, unless it's either very very rare or if it's from a house i find particularly exciting.

But in general, if i get my hands on a fragrance that's been discontinued and that i do not know how it smells like, and then smell it and it basically doesn't particularly lure my senses, then that attraction might die -instantly.

About some of the scents that seem to be discontinued, when a house decides that it's not going to ship or distribute a certain scent in a certain country (or continent) then it can be said of that scent that, for all practical purposes that it's discontinued.

But that's not always the case: a certain scent that it's not shipped to the USA for example, might still be in production in, say, a very small city, or only in a certain country (like for example fendi's Theorema for women). And then some vendors might consider that certain scent as discontinued, when in reality, it's not.

It's all relative.
    cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    To me there´s a certain appeal the moment a fragrance is discontinued. It may even be one I didn´t particularly like. At the moment the production has stopped and it becomes ever more rare, I have to have it for my collection........... it becomes very special !
    I am sure there are many other basenoters who feel this way.
    The problem is finding out if a perfume is discontinued or not.
    I recently bought from a shop Poupée, (not a whoopee cushion, but the rather unfortunate name for an exquisite perfume from Rochas) along with Extravagance, (Givenchy) and
    Nino Cerruti pour homme.
    The shop owner insisted that all the fragrances were discontinued, but according to the basenotes directory they are all still in production.
    I love basenotes and really appreciate all the hard work and effort that goes into this club and I realise that it is an enormous and ever changing task to list when a perfume goes out of production, but surely such a list exists ???
    Can anyone help me on this issue ?
    The directory is of course constantly changing, as you say, and fragrances do slip through the net - as is the case with Extravagance. This is indeed discontinued and the directory will be updated in due course.

The other two fragrances that you mention however are still in production at this moment. Although Cerruti are releasing "Cerruti Pour Homme" this year and this may replace "Nino Cerruti Pour Homme" but at present NCPH is still in production. Hope this helps.

Dani

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.

There is also a certain mild sadness I feel when wearing and enjoying a scent that is on it's way to being gone for good e.g. Good Life and Gucci Nobile.

It's also good when they make an unexpected ressurection e.g Aramis New West.

However, some deserve to stay dead e.g. What About Adam?
    Renato