Code of Conduct

Smile Which fragrance started your idée fixe?

For me it was SL Arabie. It was as if a whole new world had opened up. I've always enjoyed wearing different fragrances - In the early 80's my signature scent was Van Cleef & Arpels - but about 1 year ago, Arabie ignited something in me..........

Default Re: Which fragrance started your idée fixe?

Cuiron without a doubt.

I am dreaming about Borneo 1834
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Institution

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermes - I smelled it, researched it and it was no turning back...

For me it has to be Chanel EGOISTE.

I think there have been several for me. The first time I got the magic it was Lagerfeld Classic. A few years later, after a lapse of scent interest, Guerlain's Habit Rouge and Vetiver brought it back. Fifteen years after that is when I guess it really became and idée fixe and put me here at Basenotes. It was then that I discovered Philosykos, Mure et Musc, Voleur de Roses, and L'Artisan Santal in bottles right next to each other. They make for an idée fixe all right.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Signoricci 2 (original 1976 formulation)

Obsession, way back in the late 80s. I swear, though, the formula has changed since then, and it's not nearly as good as it used to be.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

I did a google, looking for the description of "vetiver" after seeing it mentioned in a novel I was reading. The search gave me answers, one of which was found in BN's BB. After reading more here, I ordered blindly, a bottle of Creed's OV!

Btw, I also discovered Boucheron's PH in another novel.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Probably Polo (green). Arguments could be made for Aramis, Kouros, Avon Black Suede, Drakkar...those were the scents of my youth (1983 through 1989, my high school and undergrad days). My collection began to grow as my income did.

Like DustB, for me it was also Lagerfeld Classic. It was circa 1986 and while shopping at Filenes with some college friends I picked up a bottle , instantly fell in love and bought it on the spot. Quite an investment for a poor college student, I might add. I didn't care if I had to eat Top Ramen for the next 2 months. I had to have it. I'd been wearing fragrance since the age of 12 or so...but none prior to this had ignited my passion in the way LC did. And so it began....

My tastes have changed a bit since then....but Lagerfeld Classic will always hold a special place in my heart. I know it gets a lot of bad press around here, but I believe it is an original, well crafted, beauty.

A little over a year ago I picked up a bottle of Cumming by Alan Cumming. I got it mainly as a joke because I saw it on "The Daily Show". John Stewart had Alan Cumming as a guest talking about it. In my search to find out more about it in ran across Basenotes. Before I got Cumming I really didn't use much in the way of fragrance, now I'm a few hundred dollars poorer and use fragrance almost every day.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

I was looking for a scent for a friend. I loved Lagerfeld Jako, I thought it was different from everything else, plus the brand was not so well known as others. I liked it so much that later had to buy it for myself. But while looking ffor a gift I got a chance to try so manym that I could not get them out of my head and had to have more than one scent. I also got me Paco, and Xerius Rouge, and Gurilain Vetiver. Then started reading rviews in the Internet, and sniffing at every corner.

Herrera for Men. It's still a favorite after all these years.

Alain Delon Iquitos. At the peaceful revolution from communism to the free world in 1989 it was MY true sign of something totally new.

High school period : Polo Green,

then I laid off perfumes for a while, and just when I thought I was out

Basenotes era: Millesime Imperial drew me in.
    -

Green Irish Tweed
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Mine was Bvlgari pour Homme (Bvlgari). I remember exactly the first time I smelled it (and bought it instantly - 35 € for 30ml was expensive back then). I thought: Yes, that's one Mercedes of a fragrance. Sophistication, class, elitism. Two years have passed, and although my wardrobe has grown into a considerable size I always get a bit of "Mercedes-feeling" when sniffing Bvlgari after a long period of putting on niches or other crazy unwearable stuff. Ahoi!

For me, Mugler Cologne was the spark that ignited the fragrant fire (thanks to the recommendations of several Basenoters).

I remember getting that first bottle back in 2004. I had just graduated from high school in Valparaiso, so we drove down to Merrillville, where I told my dad to wait inside Waldenbooks so I could do some sniffing over at the L.S. Ayres at Southlake Mall (which, not surprisingly, is now Macy's). I tested countless smellies, and chose that one. About 30 minutes after I told him to wait, I went back home with my new smelly friend.

I still love the stuff to this day, and as long as it's produced, I will always have a bottle of it in my collection.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

First Burberry Brit. Liked it at the airport store, but too expensive. Found it on ebay, and in the process, found BN. Got interested in other frags. Bought Royal English Leather. It went downhill from there .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

those first impressions..

old spice
    english leather
    kanon
    canoe

then the 60's happened...and it seemed to last quite awhile too...

then chanel...and the journey began
    Last edited by wolf; 12th April 2007 at 11:40 PM.
    wolf

While seaching for a perfume for my at the time fiancée, I came across Basenotes. It was interesting reading and drew me to Guerlain Vetiver. I tried it and discovered there was a whole new world of fragrances out there.

Burberry Touch. Boght it at Duty Free on my way to Mexico, came back and started looking for some info on it ( notes description etc. ) , and then discovered Basenotes. It happened in 2001...

Gendarme did it for me. I was in Washington and had a couple of hours to kill so I went to Britches mens' store in Georgetown. I loved that store, now RIP, and they had Gendarme in a feature dispaly back around 1991-2 when it first came out. I tried it and left, I couldn't believe my wrist. It was incredible, like the smell of summer and fresh grass and cotton and something else ethereal. I had to buy it, but couldn't get back to Britches so I looked for it unsuccessfully in NYC. Finally I found it. Can't recall where. I wore out the bottled. I thought I would never find anything else that I could relate to so perfectly by way of scents. HAH! Was I wrong. From there the journey continued....

I can't even remember wich one it was, i think it was a Godforsaken old bottle that i found at some Antiquary.
    yep, a bout one millenium ago.

I had Aramis and Azzaro back in high school [early 80s]. Both were Christamas gifts from my grandmother, she was a big fan of those two. I never wore them much though. A little too strong for me at that time. If only she had given me Antaeus.

Back in 93, I decided to explore my personal taste in fragrance to see which fragrances on the market fit me. Found Mackie for Men at a local Perfurmania and liked it enough to buy a second 100 ml bottle. Halfway through the second bottle I started to find it boring.

Now, I prefer Oriental fragrances to the fresh/clean scents, such as Mackie.
    Last edited by Sloan; 13th April 2007 at 03:41 AM.

I never used to wear colognes. Then I happened to receive a bottle of Truefitt & Hill's 1805. (That one's a nice, light scent on me that lasts all day.) That piqued my curiosity, and I started tracking down samples to try. I've been through a fair number of Floris, Penhaligon's, Creed, and so on...

The two that have really grabbed me thus far are Creed's Bois du Portugal and Czech & Speake's No. 88. Especially the No. 88. Talk about a scent with some charisma.
    - E.J.

Two CDGs - Lily and Palisander - set off the avalanche for me...

Age 15:

Family bought me Habit Rouge, Vetiver, and Eau Sauvage. Liked them but rarely wore them. Preferred Azzaro Pour Homme, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Drakkar Noir, Polo (wore it mainly at a private school I briefly attended). Azzaro PH, Paco PH, and Drakkar Noir fit my insane lifestyle - the enlivening fougères kept me awake and alert.

Early 20's:

Bought Bijan for Men (woman at store told me it drove her wild), Bel Ami (same as previous). Loved both fragrances. Wore 'em a lot. Wore Habit Rouge, Vetiver, and Eau Sauvage occasionally.

Late 20's:

Bought Armani Eau Pour Homme. Moved to the desert. Wore it all the time. Wore Bijan for Men as well. Also wore some Eau d'Hadrien.

Several years later:

Smelled some Creeds. Bought Vintage Tabarome, Bois du Portugal. Liked them. Began to seek. Found Basenotes.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th April 2007 at 10:39 AM.

Mitsouko was around me for quite a while, but one day at around 20 I discovered something in it that was me! I kept that as a secret though.
    Lanvin for Men was something I received as a gift - and I adopted that one immediately as my very own, together with Monsieur Lanvin (both discontinued). However - not all me yet but in a magic different world are :
    Oudhs, Tabac Blond, Cuir d'Espagne (SMN) and Arabie.

I do not know why this is, but I get the real kicks more from 'odd scents' and difficult ones than form those immensely beautiful perfumes like Bois du Portugal or Bois d'Argent.

(my hunt for the big unknown, BdP brought me to BN, the one and only men's fragrance board, in October 2004)
    Last edited by narcus; 13th April 2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Herrera for Men. It's still a favorite after all these years.
    The same here. I had it for a while and at first couldn't really smell it on myself. I then smelled an absolutely divine fragrance on someone who came to the restaurant I was working for at the time, and I was bold enough(!) to ask him what it was. It was called Herrera for Men. It was 1997 and the rest is history...

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Cuiron without a doubt.
    Same here! But the addicition didn't really get going until I got my 2nd one after that, Odeur 53 from Comme des Garçons.

Caron Pour un Homme and Lanvin's Vetyver on my dad, followed by my first encounter with Patou PH back in the 80's
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

OV by Creed...
    DAMN that Mens Health Article...DAMN it all to hell

Anarchiste (Caron), Musc Ravageur (Frederic Malle). Beyond paradise (Lauder) and Orange verte (Hermes)

Socalwoman pointed me to basenotes several years ago, and I bought some decants from her, and also from Marlen.

I also bought some sampel sets (Lutens, fig scents, CDG Incens series, etc) from Parallax on eBay. I was quite saddened to hear when he passed away.

I also bought, blind, Mitsouko parfum around the same time. And quickly fell very much in love.

I think it was the combinations of being able to smell all these different and high quality fragrances combined with the magic of Mitsouko that reeled me in. Plus there was so much to learn and experience. Easy to get caught up in the joy and excitement of it. Not to mention the delight of finding a warm and articulate community outside my little academic world.

For me: "Minotaure" by Paloma Picasso opened the world of scent to me!
    Divine!

I picked up a bottle of Tuscany at JCPenny's about ten years ago, mostly because it came with a cool-looking granite-faced watch. That began the stirrings. Then around 2000 I read an article about Creed and procured a quantity of samples upon which I based my first purchase of a niche scent -- Erolfa. That was many moons, many bottles, and thousands of dollars ago.

Good thread... and my 500th post! On Friday the 13th no less! Yes!!!

Fahrenheit

Wink Re: Which fragrance started your idée fixe?

Arabie got me started, but then I went on a retro sidetrack, Trussardi Uomo, Heritage,YSL pour Homme, Givenchy Gentleman. Now it's all about pairing down my collection, but I have been discovering the classic feminine frags like Mitsouko and Shalimar that work on men. I guess there is no end. Swaping on Basenotes is a godsend.
    In less than a year I've educated myself on the notes I like. It's been a fun pursuit, although I can really drive the SA's at Neimans and Bergdorfs up the wall.

Blog Entries

I wore several drug store frags in my high school years. Then I discovered CK one and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Shortly after, I adored CK be.

But it wasn't until about 3 years ago that I discovered Clinique Happy (for men) & it opened the doors to men's frags for me. I guess I'm just better suited for them!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Smile Re: Which fragrance started your idée fixe?

Jean Patou Prive.
    Sadly, its been discontinued... so I looked all over for it online.. which led me to Basenotes..which led me on the road to discovering other great frags and "niche" houses I never knew existed. I'm enjoying the ride so far.

Calvin Klein Obsession.

For a while, I was wearing Axe, until I graduated to Ferrari #1 cologne (I found it at a car show, and I already had a bunch of Ferrari merchandise as I love their cars and F1 team). After I finished the bottle, I ordered another one, and with it came a bunch of samples of fragrances I haven't heard of before. While none of them were really my kind of scent (though I didn't think Ultraviolet was too bad), I found it fascinating that fine fragrances had so much more depth and complexity than body sprays, and it really piqued my interest. I found basenotes, read around a bit, and finally ponied up the cash for a decant of Acier Aluminum. I was blown away at the power, depth, and complexity of this fragrance (and soon ordered a full bottle). Since then, I've made many purchases, and sniffed hundreds of fragrances, but Acier Aluminum still resonates in my mind.

Can't pick just one.

But my collection started to expand uncontrollably when I got interested in Oldies (starting with Guerlains pre Jean-Paul) and more experimental houses (like for example Comme des Garçons and Serge Lutens).
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Wink Re: Which fragrance started your idée fixe?

It seems once you trade up and you train your nose, there is no turning back.

Thumbs up Re: Which cologne started your fragrance obsession?

Eternity for Men, after reading an article on fragrance reviews in (of all places!!) Consumer Reports magazine, back in 1993.
    David and Becca forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Signoricci 2 (original 1976 formulation)

Definitely Signoricci 2.