Code of Conduct

Default Clove Fan in Da House

Eau Lente by Diptyque and Versailles by Jean Desprez -- wonderful as both spicy scents are -- don't have quite enough clove for my taste. (My skin LOVES clove and heats it up beautifully.)

Halston Catalyst (an inexpensive favorite for years now) has just about the right amount, but I'm a big boy now and can take even more. Anyone here try Benetton's Paradiso Inferno yet? Have read and heard that it's VERY clove-laden.

Any other clove-riddled frags to recommend?

Someone mentioned Monsieur Morabito and its similarities to Versailles in the drydown. If this is the case, can I count on some clove and/or carnation there? I mention carnation because I read scentemental's comments which noted that carnation's in the same family as clove. Further, I know that carnation scents (e.g., Garofano by Villoresi, Cacharel pour Homme, etc.) tend to work beautifully on me -- much in the same way as clove scents. I'm sure there's an olfactory connection there.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Clove Fan in Da House

Kretek, by Ava-Luxe and Burt's Bees Bay Rum Cologne.

Kretek is utterly spectacular. Smells like clove ciggarettes/tobacco being smoked.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

This kills two birds with one stone, as I've been looking at Ava Luxe for some time now, but wasn't sure which one to go with.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Further, I know that carnation scents (e.g., Garofano by Villoresi, Cacharel pour Homme, etc.) tend to work beautifully on me -- much in the same way as clove scents. I'm sure there's an olfactory connection there.
    Carnation can be simulated as rose + clove. Carnation oil is outrageously expensive and clove is close.

Consider also:
    Equipage
    Jacomo de Jacomo
    L'Anarchiste
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Carons L'Anarchiste.

But the king of clove has to be Penhaligons LP#9....to me its quite unwearable, but if you love the clove note, #9 could be your holy grail.
    -

Herrera for Men has a strong clove note in it.

I tried Trumper's Bay Rum last night, and smelled nothing but clove.

Dior Homme smells like clove. Who knows if it is actually in the fragrance but it opens clovey.

I always thought there was some clove in Number Six by Caswell-Massey, which is actually more of a citrus (a la Eau Sauvage).

There seems to be a lot of clove in Dunhill Edition too. But maybe it's just me.

Trumper's and Dunhill are both VERY clove-y, yes. Thanks for those suggestions -- had forgotten about them.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I've smelled a lot of those mentioned, and can almost guarantee Kretek is "clovier" than all!

I think you just made me talk myself into buying some. My sample is almost gone anyway.

You can get samples of this and others from the ava luxe website. See my "tested" list for ones I've tried. I reccommend just about all of them.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy
    Herrera for Men has a strong clove note in it.
    very much so. Too much, in fact, for my taste.

The very clovey scents I have are Celine Fever, Scannon's Ghost and Trumper's Milk of Flowers.
    Renato

Équipage, Monsieur Galimard, Jaïpur, Caron Third Man, Aramis(?)
    Ce message provient du Québec!

It is marketed to women, but Estee Lauder's SPELLBOUND is all clove, all the time.

Eau Noire's heart notes smell just like a freshly opened pack of clove cigarettes IMO. It has a lot of spice and vanilla in the drydown, though a sour accord may develop depending on your skin.

I gots lots of love for clove!

Van Cleef & Arpels PH
    MPG Secret Melange
    YSL Kouros
    Last edited by knightowl; 22nd November 2006 at 08:27 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Very clove-y scents:

FMalle's Noir Epices
    Loewe's Solo
    Balenciaga's Portos (but after the cognac and rum top)

Basenotes Institution

Rather late to post on this thread...

I just sniffed (for the 2nd time) Carnation by Comme de Garcons (Red Series) and by golly its exactly carnations and clove - what tvlampboy was looking for in this thread he posted last year.

I'm not sure if I've ever smelled carnations like this, my nose detects a more 'lily' note than carnations (you ever stick your nose into a full blooming lily and inhale the scent of the flower, the stamen, the petals..this is what 'Carnation' smells like!)

When I applied it, it was pretty warm outside the shop (82 degrees here in the Miami heat) and the scent just simmered on my skin nicely, bring out the clove gently.

I can't quite figure out if this is I want to wear yet - however I truly do admire its cross pollination of smells.

Caron's Coup de Fouet is also an excellent carnation/clove frag.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

So is Diptyque's first, L'Eau. Comme des Garcons edp too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

How about CdG White? It smells like a spice cabinet...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Check out Penhaligon's Opus 1870. Trust me... You won't be disappointed!

L'Anarchiste: metalic orange, clove, and musk.

Smile Re: Clove Fan in Da House

Hi,

isn't Bellodgia by Caron the most famous spicy clove fragrance?

I've never smelt it but I've read so.

On the other side, I've smelt Dianthus by Etro, which is very light and more flowery than spicy, but quite long lasting.

Cheers. Wald

Say, if you've tried Kretek, would you say it's on the masculine side of unisex, unisex down the middle, or softer & on the feminine side? Lord knows I've been trying to find a good clove fragrance, but I don't think it would work well on me if it's not masculine enough. I realize that such a delineation is still subjective. I guess I could always buy a sample.

Incidentally, my search for a good clove-based fragrance (after trying several mentioned here) led me to start experimenting with blending essential oils myself as a hobby. I've got a few batches of clove-based blends maturing now, but what I found out is, with the essential clove oil (as opposed to the synthetic clove note), there's a warning not to use too much because otherwise it can irritate the skin and membranes. But I don't regret getting into home-blending at all, as it's been a rewarding hobby and has resulted in some good creations.

This may sound critical, and I may BE too critical, but here are my thoughts:
    --L'Anarchiste: I mostly got the mandarin.
    --Eau Lente: yes, some clove, but also medicinal.
    --Equipage: more of a spicy carnation than a clove.
    --LP No. 9: a great spicy scent with some clove (and classy and romantic), but on me the drydown was like a mix of spicy/cinnamon and pink bubblegum! Still, I've thought of buying it again.
    --Third Man: sorry, I don't get any clove there.
    --Secret Melange: this could work; it's been a few years since I tried it, but I think it was like a cross between Eau Lente and L'Anarchiste.
    --L'Eau: spicy, but also perfumey and with a hay note.

Just my opinions...they may be great clove scents on you, but I just can't seem to find a good one for me. Maybe Kretek is it! Or maybe I'll try some others mentioned here.

Also: though my search for the perfect clove scent has been fruitless so far, I do get my spice fix with L'Eau du Gouverneur and Zanzibar.
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 12th April 2007 at 10:59 AM.

L'Occitane - Eau de Badian

Very heavy on the the spices - a lot of star anise and clove.
    - E.J.