Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default what is a perfume for dandy?

name if u can some scents that for your opinion are perfumes for todays dandies

Default Re: what is a perfume for dandy?

How about Le Dandy by D'Orsay
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Dior Homme(most women that I know of think that it's too feminine)
    BlackXS
    Sybaris by Puig
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Banned

Taken into consideration that "dandy-style" belongs to a world that does not longer exist - except in the minds of some people - I would suggest something very "retro". More precisely: It had to be a scent looking into the past, old-fashioned, hard to get. A compliment getter would be inappropriate. One need something rough, regardless of public opinion, distinguishing from the plebeian crowd. Well...

My newest fragrance, Hammam Bouquet (Penhaligon's) seems to bring these characteristics together. I could think of some Serge Lutens, too, e.g. Ambre Sultan. Jicky EdP(Guerlain) might be worth a consideration. If you're young, Habit Rouge (Guerlain) could do the same, as it smells not very contemporary.

There are certainly more to name! Interesting topic, by the way.

Forgive my ignorance....

What is a Dandy?

Here are a couple of oldish threads from dandyism.net that might answer your question.

http://www.dandyism.net/forum/viewto...=78&highlight=

http://www.dandyism.net/forum/viewto...262&highlight=

Barry

Basenotes Plus

I like to think the Penhaligon's bottles with those lil bowties or whatever they are look quite dandy. I also think it might not be the fragrance but the amount. A dandy would be swimming in it. who did you have in mind when asking about a dandy?

Beau Brummel?
    "Every day, his toilette would take more than two hours and would involve brushing his teeth, shaving, a thorough wash and scrub; followed by brushing his body all over with a stiff brush and finally pursuing any errant remaining hairs with a pair of tweezers. He prided himself on never needing scent because he was so clean."
    from the " Beau Brummell and the Birth of Regency Fashion" website
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 12th April 2007 at 05:59 PM.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I like to think the Penhaligon's bottles with those lil bowties or whatever they are look quite dandy. I also think it might not be the fragrance but the amount. A dandy would be swimming in it. who did you have in mind when asking about a dandy? Beau Brummel?
    I agree with Penhaligon's, I have worn their scents for years.

Beau Brummel was actually known to have detested fragrance of any kind.

Barry

Indeed it should be commonly agreed that Dior Homme is the modern dandy's fragrance "par excellence" !

But I also agree something more dated should be considered : I received a vintage bottle of Derby by Guerlain this very day and I think it very much incarnates what a dandy fragrance must be.

Another Guerlain would be Vol de Nuit, and Rive Gauche (the women's version) by Yves Saint Laurent could also work.

Nothing by Hermès I am afraid, except perhaps Rocabar ? (although I have yet to find someone who actually wears it and makes it work...)

And Datura Noir by Serge Lutens... this is the true stuff !

These are my suggestions !

Also taken from dandyism.net (the reference website for dandy-wannabes :-), this graph shows that there are quite a lot of dandy types, so maybe the question should be reformulated:

http://www.dandyism.net/Resources/Dandy%20Genealogy.pdf

My opinion is that a dandy's scent should be something shocking, and that would place it most probably on the femenine side, since a dandy's compromise with beauty doesn't allow him to stop at gender barriers. Myself, the days I feel dandy enough, I wear Mitsouko.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Cool Re: what is a perfume for dandy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Also taken from dandyism.net (the reference website for dandy-wannabes :-), this graph shows that there are quite a lot of dandy types, so maybe the question should be reformulated:

http://www.dandyism.net/Resources/Dandy%20Genealogy.pdf

LOL! That's a very funny chart.

Annuci PH gets my vote, as does The Baron, and Habit Rouge.

They do tend to make me feel like shooting my cuffs from under my suit, while stifling a yawn as I reach for my Walther PPK and quip something witty.-- Or buy new cufflinks.

Can't agree about most of SL, though.

I don't think his scents are so much for a dandy, as for a perverted member of Weight Watchers, who fell off the wagon eating candied fruitcake with honey.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" I had hoped to be amusing. Have I failed? "

-----Tyrone Power in 'The Mark of Zorro'

Cheers,

Mario.
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 13th April 2007 at 07:52 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post
    Forgive my ignorance....

What is a Dandy?
    A dandy is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and the cultivation of leisurely hobbies. Historically, especially in late eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century Britain, a dandy often strove to imitate an aristocratic style of life despite being of middle-class background.

The above is from wikopedia. But really, a dandy is just an old-fashioned way of saying "gay!"

for what i am concerned i am not gay. i consider dandisme as a movement searching the eternal beauty in body and soul.

Quote Originally Posted by flashpoint321 View Post
    But really, a dandy is just an old-fashioned way of saying "gay!"
    Oh dear! I presume that when you say 'gay', you mean it in the original meaning of the word and not the modern understanding of it.

Barry

Personally I think that metrosexuals represent a new breed of dandyism. Athough these two social groups are not exactly the same, we have to take into account the inevitable concept of evolution.

Rance's le Vainqeur might be a good one, as well as Vetiver - Guerlain..
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

Hmmmm..Lagerfeld Classic.....

Live Your Life,

Otto

OK!

I'll weigh in now with......

The new 212 Sexy Men

might seem strange, but i'll go with MPG secret melange, and LV Garofano.

and while metrosexual might be the evolved dandy, i would not conflate the two, nor the fragrances that come to mind for each.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

I was something of a dandy when I was a teenager - reading GQ at twelve and wearing suits to high school when my classmates wore jeans, so I know something of the mentality. It is fashion and style as a way of life. If I still lived that way I would be wearing frags like:

Prada PH
    Viktor & Rolf Antidote

As Prince Barry points out the archetype of dandyism, Beau Brummel, was actually a relatively austere dresser. He favoured the elegance of a simple cuff over a silhouette of a horse pasted to the powdered face that Georgian decadence had decended to. The modern cyphers of Brummel were the Mods. The word cannot simply mean a well-dressed man or a fashion-obsessed man.

Hammam Bouquet is the best recommendation for the Victorian incarnation. There are so few modern dandies; as Morrissey stands above the crowd, his preferred scent (Czech & Speake No.88) does.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39 View Post
    Hammam Bouquet is the best recommendation for the Victorian incarnation. There are so few modern dandies; as Morrissey stands above the crowd, his preferred scent (Czech & Speake No.88) does.
    Morrissey??!!! But he's simply gay! Period. James Dean, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by baaald
    and while metrosexual might be the evolved dandy, i would not conflate the two, nor the fragrances that come to mind for each.
    Obviously not but no-one ever mentioned them being a 'conflation' of each other...

Last edited by pluran; 14th October 2011 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Personally I think that metrosexuals represent a new breed of dandyism. Athough these two social groups are not exactly the same, we have to take into account the inevitable concept of evolution.
    I absolutely agree.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Mmmh... maybe Metrosexuals could be viewed as a cheap side of dandy culture. Same difference you can see between Adidas Sport musk fragrances and Muscs Koublai Khan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Morrissey??!!! But he's simply gay! Period. James Dean, anyone?
    Errr? Has nobody told you ... James Dean was gay.

Completely irrelevant, of course, to whether or not he was dandy. (He wasn't).
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Basenotes Plus

James Dean was gay the man says. could you point me to more info that backs that up? Montgomery Clift was gay according to his biographer and his mom was constantly trying to ungay him.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 16th April 2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39 View Post
    Errr? Has nobody told you ... James Dean was gay.

Completely irrelevant, of course, to whether or not he was dandy. (He wasn't).
    Isn't it amazing that we live in the same country but seem to speaking a completely different language, here...

I was referring to one of Morrisey's many (and obvious) influences but you should have already gathered that by now...

sexual preferences aside, I believe a Dandy can be identified by their dress and behaviors. I once knew an older gentleman, a lawyer, who always spoke and dressed with elegance and style. Not flamboyant - but close to the edge. He was always well appointed in his dress - opting to wear a suit while others went casual. He spoke and carried himself with dignity. I once described him to another colleague as a "Jim Dandy" and I believe I was correct, since my colleague knew exactly who I was talking about.
    In this regard, I believe a "dandy" would wear a cologne perceived as beyond the usual. Something that would suggest a sense of style, class and elegance.

Here is my contribution:

Sandringham by Crown Perfumery
    #88 by Czech & Speake
    Dior Homme
    Boucheron pour homme
    Eau de Royale by Rance
    L'homme Sage by Divine
    Bois du portugal by Creed
    Richard James Savile Row