Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default what is a perfume for dandy?

name if u can some scents that for your opinion are perfumes for todays dandies

Default Re: what is a perfume for dandy?

How about Le Dandy by D'Orsay
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Dior Homme(most women that I know of think that it's too feminine)
    BlackXS
    Sybaris by Puig
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Taken into consideration that "dandy-style" belongs to a world that does not longer exist - except in the minds of some people - I would suggest something very "retro". More precisely: It had to be a scent looking into the past, old-fashioned, hard to get. A compliment getter would be inappropriate. One need something rough, regardless of public opinion, distinguishing from the plebeian crowd. Well...

My newest fragrance, Hammam Bouquet (Penhaligon's) seems to bring these characteristics together. I could think of some Serge Lutens, too, e.g. Ambre Sultan. Jicky EdP(Guerlain) might be worth a consideration. If you're young, Habit Rouge (Guerlain) could do the same, as it smells not very contemporary.

There are certainly more to name! Interesting topic, by the way.

Forgive my ignorance....

What is a Dandy?

Here are a couple of oldish threads from dandyism.net that might answer your question.

http://www.dandyism.net/forum/viewto...=78&highlight=

http://www.dandyism.net/forum/viewto...262&highlight=

Barry

Dependent

I like to think the Penhaligon's bottles with those lil bowties or whatever they are look quite dandy. I also think it might not be the fragrance but the amount. A dandy would be swimming in it. who did you have in mind when asking about a dandy?

Beau Brummel?
    "Every day, his toilette would take more than two hours and would involve brushing his teeth, shaving, a thorough wash and scrub; followed by brushing his body all over with a stiff brush and finally pursuing any errant remaining hairs with a pair of tweezers. He prided himself on never needing scent because he was so clean."
    from the " Beau Brummell and the Birth of Regency Fashion" website
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 12th April 2007 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I like to think the Penhaligon's bottles with those lil bowties or whatever they are look quite dandy. I also think it might not be the fragrance but the amount. A dandy would be swimming in it. who did you have in mind when asking about a dandy? Beau Brummel?
    I agree with Penhaligon's, I have worn their scents for years.

Beau Brummel was actually known to have detested fragrance of any kind.

Barry

Indeed it should be commonly agreed that Dior Homme is the modern dandy's fragrance "par excellence" !

But I also agree something more dated should be considered : I received a vintage bottle of Derby by Guerlain this very day and I think it very much incarnates what a dandy fragrance must be.

Another Guerlain would be Vol de Nuit, and Rive Gauche (the women's version) by Yves Saint Laurent could also work.

Nothing by Hermčs I am afraid, except perhaps Rocabar ? (although I have yet to find someone who actually wears it and makes it work...)

And Datura Noir by Serge Lutens... this is the true stuff !

These are my suggestions !

Also taken from dandyism.net (the reference website for dandy-wannabes :-), this graph shows that there are quite a lot of dandy types, so maybe the question should be reformulated:

http://www.dandyism.net/Resources/Dandy%20Genealogy.pdf

My opinion is that a dandy's scent should be something shocking, and that would place it most probably on the femenine side, since a dandy's compromise with beauty doesn't allow him to stop at gender barriers. Myself, the days I feel dandy enough, I wear Mitsouko.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Cool Re: what is a perfume for dandy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Also taken from dandyism.net (the reference website for dandy-wannabes :-), this graph shows that there are quite a lot of dandy types, so maybe the question should be reformulated:

LOL! That's a very funny chart.

Annuci PH gets my vote, as does The Baron, and Habit Rouge.

They do tend to make me feel like shooting my cuffs from under my suit, while stifling a yawn as I reach for my Walther PPK and quip something witty.-- Or buy new cufflinks.

Can't agree about most of SL, though.

I don't think his scents are so much for a dandy, as for a perverted member of Weight Watchers, who fell off the wagon eating candied fruitcake with honey.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" I had hoped to be amusing. Have I failed? "

-----Tyrone Power in 'The Mark of Zorro'

Cheers,

Mario.
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 13th April 2007 at 07:52 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post
    Forgive my ignorance....

What is a Dandy?
    A dandy is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and the cultivation of leisurely hobbies. Historically, especially in late eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century Britain, a dandy often strove to imitate an aristocratic style of life despite being of middle-class background.

The above is from wikopedia. But really, a dandy is just an old-fashioned way of saying "gay!"

for what i am concerned i am not gay. i consider dandisme as a movement searching the eternal beauty in body and soul.

Quote Originally Posted by flashpoint321 View Post
    But really, a dandy is just an old-fashioned way of saying "gay!"
    Oh dear! I presume that when you say 'gay', you mean it in the original meaning of the word and not the modern understanding of it.

Barry

Personally I think that metrosexuals represent a new breed of dandyism. Athough these two social groups are not exactly the same, we have to take into account the inevitable concept of evolution.

Rance's le Vainqeur might be a good one, as well as Vetiver - Guerlain..
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

Hmmmm..Lagerfeld Classic.....

Live Your Life,

Otto

OK!

I'll weigh in now with......

The new 212 Sexy Men

might seem strange, but i'll go with MPG secret melange, and LV Garofano.

and while metrosexual might be the evolved dandy, i would not conflate the two, nor the fragrances that come to mind for each.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

I was something of a dandy when I was a teenager - reading GQ at twelve and wearing suits to high school when my classmates wore jeans, so I know something of the mentality. It is fashion and style as a way of life. If I still lived that way I would be wearing frags like:

Prada PH
    Viktor & Rolf Antidote

As Prince Barry points out the archetype of dandyism, Beau Brummel, was actually a relatively austere dresser. He favoured the elegance of a simple cuff over a silhouette of a horse pasted to the powdered face that Georgian decadence had decended to. The modern cyphers of Brummel were the Mods. The word cannot simply mean a well-dressed man or a fashion-obsessed man.

Hammam Bouquet is the best recommendation for the Victorian incarnation. There are so few modern dandies; as Morrissey stands above the crowd, his preferred scent (Czech & Speake No.88) does.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39 View Post
    Hammam Bouquet is the best recommendation for the Victorian incarnation. There are so few modern dandies; as Morrissey stands above the crowd, his preferred scent (Czech & Speake No.88) does.
    Morrissey??!!! But he's simply gay! Period. James Dean, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by baaald
    and while metrosexual might be the evolved dandy, i would not conflate the two, nor the fragrances that come to mind for each.
    Obviously not but no-one ever mentioned them being a 'conflation' of each other...

Last edited by pluran; 14th October 2011 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Personally I think that metrosexuals represent a new breed of dandyism. Athough these two social groups are not exactly the same, we have to take into account the inevitable concept of evolution.
    I absolutely agree.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Mmmh... maybe Metrosexuals could be viewed as a cheap side of dandy culture. Same difference you can see between Adidas Sport musk fragrances and Muscs Koublai Khan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Morrissey??!!! But he's simply gay! Period. James Dean, anyone?
    Errr? Has nobody told you ... James Dean was gay.

Completely irrelevant, of course, to whether or not he was dandy. (He wasn't).
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Dependent

James Dean was gay the man says. could you point me to more info that backs that up? Montgomery Clift was gay according to his biographer and his mom was constantly trying to ungay him.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 16th April 2007 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39 View Post
    Errr? Has nobody told you ... James Dean was gay.

Completely irrelevant, of course, to whether or not he was dandy. (He wasn't).
    Isn't it amazing that we live in the same country but seem to speaking a completely different language, here...

I was referring to one of Morrisey's many (and obvious) influences but you should have already gathered that by now...

sexual preferences aside, I believe a Dandy can be identified by their dress and behaviors. I once knew an older gentleman, a lawyer, who always spoke and dressed with elegance and style. Not flamboyant - but close to the edge. He was always well appointed in his dress - opting to wear a suit while others went casual. He spoke and carried himself with dignity. I once described him to another colleague as a "Jim Dandy" and I believe I was correct, since my colleague knew exactly who I was talking about.
    In this regard, I believe a "dandy" would wear a cologne perceived as beyond the usual. Something that would suggest a sense of style, class and elegance.

Here is my contribution:

Sandringham by Crown Perfumery
    #88 by Czech & Speake
    Dior Homme
    Boucheron pour homme
    Eau de Royale by Rance
    L'homme Sage by Divine
    Bois du portugal by Creed
    Richard James Savile Row

I totally agree with Santos, Hammam Bouquet, Rive Gauche, Rocabar, Le Vainqeur, Bois du Portugal, Czech & Speake No. 88. Apart from that, I might add Royal English Leather, Royal Scottish Lavender, Vintage Tabarome, Cuir de Russie and Cypres- Musc by Creed, Joint by Roccobarocco, Eau Sauvage by Dior, Armani Eau pour Homme, Chanel pour Monsieur and Chanel Antaeus, Monsieur de Givenchy and Givenchy Gentleman, Grey Flannel, Hugh Parsons Yellow, Knize Ten, Echt Kölnisch Wasser by Farina Gegenüber, Vetiver and Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain, Versace L´Homme, Floris No. 89 and No. 127, Acqua di Parma (including Colonia Assoluta), Blenheim Bouquet, Opus 1870 and Endymion by Penhaligon's, almost anything by Taylor's of Old Bond Street, Truefitt & Hill and Geo F. Trumper, Sandalwood and West Indian Limes by Crabtree & Evelyn, Cuiron by Helmut Lang, Loewe para Hombre and Esencia Loewe, La Martina Hombre, Francesco Smalto pour Homme.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 15th October 2009 at 10:02 PM.

Max Fisher; modern dandy?

If so, I think he'd go with Fleur du Male.

Blog Entries

I think that perhaps Kenzo Power is also a dandy scent - but more from the smell than from the name. A men's floral EDTF that could have been marketed unisex but seems specifically designated to men. A bit like Fleur du Male, but less brazenly, in a Kenzo sort of way. As a dandified ruffian myself, Kenzo appeals to me that way.

I think Chevalier D'Orsay and. as mentioned above, Le Dandy both qualify.
    To me being a dandy involves giving over a very central place in one's life to an aesthetic ideal. This does require great discipline in many areas --especially dress and appearance. In the process, many real life dandies seem to have lacked discipline when it came to financial matters and some of the more dreary realities of existence. Almost all of the above-mentioned dandies of earlier centuries managed to squander huge sums of money in the process of following their ideals. In giving such primacy to aesthetics, it seems to me that a true dandy cannot be a regular person with a regular 9 to 5 job. I think that it probably takes a lot of guts and dedication to be a real dandy in today's world.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    I think Chevalier D'Orsay and. as mentioned above, Le Dandy both qualify.
    To me being a dandy involves giving over a very central place in one's life to an aesthetic ideal. This does require great discipline in many areas --especially dress and appearance. In the process, many real life dandies seem to have lacked discipline when it came to financial matters and some of the more dreary realities of existence. Almost all of the above-mentioned dandies of earlier centuries managed to squander huge sums of money in the process of following their ideals. In giving such primacy to aesthetics, it seems to me that a true dandy cannot be a regular person with a regular 9 to 5 job. I think that it probably takes a lot of guts and dedication to be a real dandy in today's world.
    I agree completely - I think the people like us (who spend too much on fragrance, but who for the most part don't live for fashion) are the admirers of the true dandies. I look to such people for inspiration. I find them fascinating, because they take the sin of vanity so far that it becomes something pure and good again, with a strange kind of innocence, like beauty for its own sake.

As someone who is not a dandy but finds them fun to look at I weigh in with: Eau Lente. Runner up: Eau Noire.

I'd like to revive this rather old thread!

The dandy wears whatever fragance he wants, whenever and wherever he wants.

Flouting convention and trendsetting by stepping outside the expected norms typifies the true dandy. It helps to have the nonchalant attitude to go along with it--and the devil with what anyone else thinks! Summer, citrusy scents in the middle of winter, heavy fragrances in the middle of summer when wearing surfing shorts, grooming the garden and installing a new water fountain when no one else is around. Putting on fragrance because you are going out to walk the dog.

That's the dandy attitude. Most of all, a dandy dresses for himself and wears fragrance to please himself. His clothing, grooming and scent are not worn to please others.

Wearing "a dandy fragrance" would be the last thing a real dandy would be expected to do. On the contrary, the dandy would wear an unexpected fragrance and revel in it.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

As I read through this thread, I learned the meaning of the word "Dandy" and started thinking to myself, why did the OP not just use the word "metrosexual". Would that not be the modern dandy?

The more I thought about the definition of Dandy, the more I realized that I'M A DANDY!

Concerned about dress and appearance: Check
    Refined Language: I was a Philosophy Major, check
    Cultivates Leisurely Hobbies: Everybody in this forum could put a check here

So to answer your question, check out everybody's wardrobe, that's what a modern day dandy would wear

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    As I read through this thread, I learned the meaning of the word "Dandy" and started thinking to myself, why did the OP not just use the word "metrosexual". Would that not be the modern dandy?

The more I thought about the definition of Dandy, the more I realized that I'M A DANDY!

Congratulations on embracing your dandyism!

Dandyism is not simply an aspect of grooming and dressing, or metrosexuality. It's an entire lifestyle and attitude that goes along with it. It really depends on *which* definition or dandy you choose to look at. (Examples below.)

All too often, the soi-disant modern dandy is all about buying brand names of this and that from fragrance to clothing. The true dandy does not care about labels. He will happily wear his bespoke shoes along with his Marks-and-Sparks underwear.

Brummell: Severe cut and sober line. Sober and simple colours. He could pose as a model for a classical statue. Bathing and shaving obsession; no perfume of any kind. Snobbery and cutting remarks for everyone, including the future king of England. Obsessive/compulsive attitude towards neckcloths. Bougeois insecurity. Burning through your father's inheritance. In the end, flight from one's debts to France, dying in the midst of insanity in a charity hospital.

D'Orsay: Curves, curves, curves--in the clothes and one's physique. Pretty colours and textures until you hit your late 30s. More personal magnetism than you can stuff into a corset. A great toilette but not an obsession. Jewellery and scent (eau de Cologne or eau de jasmin). Kindness to all and a happy joie de vivre. (Although one has one's limits, to be sure, and there is a threshold for impertinence.) Picking up a paintbrush loaded with paint and linseed oil in one's kid gloves; no OCD. No insecurity because you're an aristocrat and you know it and you're burning through your wife's inheritance at an appalling rate--that is, until the legal separation goes through and your fun is curtailed! In the end, flight from one's debts to France--only your sister, a duchess and a princess--lives there!

There are other fin-de siecle examples, but these two polar opposites show the range of attitudes toward dress and behaviour.

Again, a dandy is not defined by simply his clothes.
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th November 2010 at 04:50 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

To me, The Third Man is pure dandy with it's light floral touch.

I've always thought of a "dandy" purely as a term of the past - an uptight, narcissistic fop. Pure vanity is key. It's a term from the Victorian era. I've always considered it to be a sarcastic, derogatory term, not complimentary at all. I wouldn't want to be referred to as a dandy.

As for fragrances, traditionally "dandified" fragrances are typically those that are flowery, powdery, sweet and musky. Typical dandified fragrances, in my mind, would be: Floris #89 (actually, just about anything by Floris), Jaipur Homme, Pasha, Bois du Portugal, Royal Copenhagen, Troisieme Homme, Amouage Gold.

The diametric opposite of dandified fragrances would be: Equipage, Yatagan, Envy Men, Gucci Pour Homme, Mazzolari Lui, Muscs Koublai Khan, Invasion Barbare

Truthfully, it's not the fragrance a man wears that determines if he's a dandy - just because you wear Habit Rouge, it doesn't make you a dandy. It's the man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I've always thought of a "dandy" purely as a term of the past - an uptight, narcissistic fop. Pure vanity is key. It's a term from the Victorian era. I've always considered it to be a sarcastic, derogatory term, not complimentary at all. I wouldn't want to be referred to as a dandy.

Truthfully, it's not the fragrance a man wears that determines if he's a dandy - just because you wear Habit Rouge, it doesn't make you a dandy. It's the man himself.
    The derogatory connotation of the term dates from the end of the 19th century. In the 1830s and 1840s, "beau" became the proper term. People associate grooming (which almost always implies the use of scent nowadays) and shaving with dandies as an essential part of their toilette.

As for "uptight," history has some dandies who were everything but uptight. Their lives were devil-may-care ease, laughter and amusement. I think the OCD of George Brummell is what you have in mind. Beau Brummell was very uptight and neurotic.

Many modern fragrances refer to the 19th century dandy: Le Dandy (obviously), Equipage (a carriage harness, Hermes started out making high-end leather items in the 1830s, and a man of fashion had to have his fast wheels--look at the Hermes logo: a fashionable carriage and a small boy-groom called a "tiger" ), Habit Rouge (the red riding habit of the country sportsman), and Mouchoir de Monsieur (a man's handkerchief, which might function as a love token or a prop for flirtation, as one might use a cane or a woman uses a fan).

The idea of the 19th century man of fashion--with his efforless savoir vivre--is still with us, even if the terminology changes. Often fragrance is marketed by product image and a romantic impiration--the advertising imagery and name bear this out.

Yes, it's the man who wears the fragrance. All said, my credo is "wear what you like--the heck with convention."

A Dandy is a British thing; a swishy hetero male. It doesn't exist in the US as we only have either/or here. We get very uncomfortable when things aren't in absolutes here. It'll change eventually.

I think it would have to be as others have suggested, Hammam Bouquet.

It is totally unique, nothing smells like it, 137 years old, expensive smelling, high floral content and highly distinctive.

Winner hands down if you ask me.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I think it would have to be as others have suggested, Hammam Bouquet.

It is totally unique, nothing smells like it, 137 years old, expensive smelling, high floral content and highly distinctive.

Winner hands down if you ask me.
    Good suggestion. This must have very trendy in the 19th century. This was named after a "hammam," or Turkish bath house. There was a rage for things Oriental (i.e. Middle Eastern) in the 19th century and people started going to bath houses much like the ancient Romans did. Hence, Hammam Bouquet. (The sauna, or vapor stream bath, in England was appearing as early as the 1830s.)

I tend to prefer the florals in Le Vainqueur--very fresh and androgynous. That being said, I also like the citrus-y freshness of Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    A Dandy is a British thing; a swishy hetero male. It doesn't exist in the US as we only have either/or here. We get very uncomfortable when things aren't in absolutes here. It'll change eventually.
    Fragrance, like clothing, is inevitably tied to gender--all one has to do is shop for fragrance and there are two separate departments--sometimes located in the apparel sections for each gender.

Are Americans that uncomfortable with androgyny? I'd agree. All one has to do is look at British or Japanese television. Some show hosts and the like are very much gender neutral. An American finds discomfort with this. (Could it be that the UK and Japan have a longer history of gender manipulation and crossdressing, as seen in the Shakespearean stage and kabuki theatre? Just look at the all-female acting troupe Takarazuka.)

Other cultures do not put sharp lines in what is female or male when it comes to fragrance. In my univeristy days, I knew of one woman from the Middle East who wore Brut cologne, which was made for men. (Do they still sell Brut in drug stores?)
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th November 2010 at 04:51 AM.

I feel I do not entirely agree with everyone's assertion of what constitutes a dandy. Fundamentally, I don't believe you can define what a dandy really is, but if pressed I'd say it is a person (not necessarily a man but a person) that purposefully deviates from socially accepted aesthetic practices, while, and I think this is very important, all the while being to some extent admired by society.

I'd say Marilyn Manson is an example of a modern day dandy: his dressing style doesn't compute with social standards and he's got a lot of admirers though I'm not one of them.
    EDIT: since I indicated I don't believe a dandy to necessarily be a man I might as well give an example of a woman I'd consider a dandy too: Marlčne Dietrich.

As far as fragrances go, I think we're all a bit dandy-ish since for the most part we deviate from what most of society wears.
    Last edited by Merlino; 28th May 2009 at 04:13 PM.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Ręve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I don't believe a dandy to necessarily be a man I might as well give an example of a woman I'd consider a dandy too: Marlčne Dietrich.

As far as fragrances go, I think we're all a bit dandy-ish since for the most part we deviate from what most of society wears.
    Yes, Dietrich created a scandal by wearing trousers in public, just as George Sand did in the 19th century--in addition to smoking cigars! Adding the masculine to the feminine, and the feminine to the masculine adds a dash of contrast. Sometimes this can be dramatic. Fashion designers/parfumeurs know this well.

Coco Chanel was called "a female Beau Brummell." She was very cutting edge, doing things that no other woman of her time was doing. She also "gender appropriated" some of her own clothing from the wardrobes of the lovers: jumpers, straw hats and waistcoats. The latest movie poster shows actress Audrey Tatou in the signature "mannish" attire that made Gabrielle Chanel famous--a shirt with a tie.

In the end, she was an individual. Her tomboyish looks (slender and flat-chested, the ideal of the androgynous 1920s) and behavior did not dissuade male attention or companionship. She had many notable lovers, many of whom were wealthy playboys (dandies?) themselves.

This is a fragrance Web site and the forum is for discussion of fragrances for men or worn by men. I'd appreciate it if members can keep that in mind when considering replies.

Further, national generalizations on the order presented in this thread aren't the forum's subject matter and can (and have) lead to threads being closed.

Thank you, everyone, for attention to these considerations.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Someone who brings their own individual style (whatever that may be), to a high level with the touch of a perfectionist.
    I agree Marilyn Manson could be so considered, David Bowie
    and Max Raabe ?

I think that any suitable fragrance would have to exhibit the same level of refinement and attention to detail. Indeed many people on this board bring that level of attention to their fragrance choices even if they don't choose to extend it to the total lifestyle.

For me it would probably be Heritage or something traditional with a sharp opening and a warm woodsy heart, not too heavy though.

My own quirk in the direction of perfection is that I prefer the bottle to be as beautiful as the contents.

[QUOTE=Gus;1010342]Also taken from dandyism.net (the reference website for dandy-wannabes :-), this graph shows that there are quite a lot of dandy types, so maybe the question should be reformulated:

You can be sure that copies went out to all my young dandies! That being said, lets break down the dandies and their scents by generations to get this started.
    On the chart is Oscar Wilde. His fragrance was Eau de Quinine by Crown Perfumery
    We should study Noel Coward's "Jewels and Perfume" (1928) or "Tea, Sympathy and Perfume" to get some insight. Some said that he emitted great sillage of Eau de Cologne. In one of his plays, Pawncie, an older "delicate" man, reeked of Narcisse Noir.

..oh don't get me started!
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Default Re: what is a perfume for dandy? YSL eau de toilette and cuff-links

Fashion and fragrance are often linked together. (pardon the pun!) Parfums YSL takes advantage of this.

Cuff-links are often associated with dandified, more formal dress, the better to draw attention to those turned-back, starched French cuffs.

The current YSL site has a special limited edition YSL L'Homme EDT with matching cuff-links. The cuff-links are in the signature hexagonal shape echoed on the cap of the fragrance bottle:

http://www.ysl-parfums.com/lhomme-ea...preferedCateg=

L'Homme is a very androgymous, woody scent--very fresh and light.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post

As for fragrances, traditionally "dandified" fragrances are typically those that are flowery, powdery, sweet and musky. Typical dandified fragrances, in my mind, would be: Floris #89 (actually, just about anything by Floris), Jaipur Homme, Pasha, Bois du Portugal, Royal Copenhagen, Troisieme Homme, Amouage Gold.

The diametric opposite of dandified fragrances would be: Equipage, Yatagan, Envy Men, Gucci Pour Homme, Mazzolari Lui, Muscs Koublai Khan, Invasion Barbare

I agree that it's the man and not the scent and also add that the new Guerlain Arsene Lupin Le Dandy is a wonderful violet/leather. (Floral and with a leather/spice. I adore the patchouli.)

I put this on my "to buy" list.

Somehow this one gets overlooked and is one of the dandyist around. I'll let Luca Turin use his short description, since I agree.

1876 (Histoires de Parfums) ★★★★
    masculine rose $$$
    Unquestionably, and by a huge margin, the best
    Victorian dandy fragrance around: citrus, rose,
    benzoin, spices and animalic notes, all of excellent
    quality, soft, restful, discreet, sweetly melancholy.
    What Floris and Penhaligon’s should have been
    doing all along, had they the good fortune of an
    art director as imaginative and skilled as Gérard
    Ghislain. LT

Barón Dandy.

Classic!

Hey mods im
    New to this. I dont have multiple accounts. Sorry BUT ur wrong with me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by electrorock View Post
    Barón Dandy.

Classic!
    Anybody searching for this online: it's Varón Dandy.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I need to add Histories de Parfums 1725 Casanova. This is a fougere with a wonderful use of lavender.

JaimeB, thank you for the tip on Varon Dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Anybody searching for this online: it's Varón Dandy.

wow thank u.
    is it really "varón"? I never imagined it was sucha sexist name...i thought i was more of an aristocratic name..

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I need to add Histories de Parfums 1725 Casanova. This is a fougere with a wonderful use of lavender.

Also, 1876 from Histoires de Parfums is named for "Mata Hari," very much a woman known for her seductive skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

er...ur welcome!