Code of Conduct

Default Violet and Anise Go for a Ride

This is a story about two cars and two fragrances by Guerlain.

Après L’Ondée (parfum)

The door opens on a greyish- purple car. Its interior emits a rush of violet and wood aromas, sweet and fresh like rain.
    The anise is exceedingly fine and mellow--nothing syrupy or licorice-like.) The violet is realistic and fruity, natural and cool.
    (Thanks to my recent experience with Parfums Berdoues Violettes de Toulouse, I recognize this violet note immediately.)

These two notes dominate Après L’Ondée throughout its development--one on either side--pulling right and left on the steering wheel.
    The car begins its drive. We pass through tangy, sunny Bergamotville.
    We gaze out the windows as we drive through Flower County toward the city of Vanilla, through its outlying towns of Carnation and Iris.
    We catch a glimpse of the hidden villages of Neroli and Jasmine.
    Violet and Anise drive slowly along the wet streets through showers of rain interspersed with sunshine and floral breezes.
    Too soon, the trip has ended, and we pull into Vanilla. It is a drive that I would gladly take every morning.

L'Heure Bleue (parfum)

The car is dusky blue-violet. Anise takes over the controls.
    Violet is sitting quietly on the passenger's side. Tonka and Vanilla are overflowing from the back seat.
    Anise drives very fast. Wowee! Florals are flying past the windows in a glorious blur of color.

We stop and pick up one of my favorites, Heliotrope, with its elusive PlayDoh note.
    He has been on the road for awhile and hasn't bathed. His aroma is filling the car.
    Violet doesn't approve of picking up hitchhikers, especially big, strong ones.

"I am starting to feel faint, she says."

It is getting dark, and soon nobody can see anything, but the smells are still whizzing by, blowing in the windows as we drive full-strength, full-speed ahead.

L'Heure Bleu is one of the world's most exciting scents. Enigmatic and thought-provoking, it dares you to formulate a strong opinion of it.
    Can anyone say, "Oh, it's O.K. but it's kind of blah," or "I don't remember if I tried that one?”

Meahwhile, back at the car, Anise sees Carnation hitchiking. He pulls over.
    "No," says Violet. "Don't pick him up. There isn't any more room."
    "Aw, come on," argues Anise. "Let's do it."
    Vanilla, Tonka, and Heliotrope agree. They form a unified opinion. Violet is the odd vote, and the odd note.
    "I'm leaving," she declares. "Let me out."
    Carnation piles in. They roar down the road at full throttle, into the dusk, trailing their mingled aroma behind them.
    It is dark; it is too late to walk home. Violet cries by the side of the road.

Default Re: Violet and Anise Go for a Ride

Purplebird7,
    Those are beautiful stories of my most favoured fragrances. I can envision the fragrances unfold and evolve from your descriptions.

:bounce: You do have an enviable way with words :bounce:
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

wow! the car metaphor works beautifully for fragrance! lovely lovely little pieces these are. i hope there are more where these came from!
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Thanks, y'all. Glad you enjoyed them.
    The car analogy came to me as I was struggling to figure out why these two fragrances have similarities but are so different from eachother.
    The best way to communicate ideas is with images.

(Yes, off course, there will be more writing. I always have something to say, but I fear that people are becoming tired of reading it. I'm not digging for compliments here, but the number of hits on this post is down from my previous posts. It might be time to give everybody a break lest they think I have a dire need for attention.)

A very nice post indeed! (Although I dislike Violet and Anise - sorry girls!)

It's a big forum, purplebird7, keep posting them just for me! I loved reading this....L'Heure Bleu and Apree London (!!! remember, Tigs?) were bug-a-boos from my first weeks on basenotes. I love anise, and Apres L' Ondee is well appreciated now even though I still don't know how to place proper marks on my keyboard. L'Heure Bleu, I've said before, will be a fragrance I try every year, fully expecting to fall in love eventually. Speaking of which.....it's 2007! Poor Mitsouko, I just gave up on her.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

D O N ' T
    S T O P
    W R I T I N G
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

The great thing about this piece is how it demonstrates your amazing ability to isolate and identify each note in order.The poetry and charm of your delivery is really entertaining. You've even convinced me to try both of these again. I too have trouble with both of these notes and both of these frags. I have a feeling it's another case of searching for a good source of either French salon issue or vintage stuff. I have a feeling parfum is a must as opposed to a weaker juice.

Oh, Quarry, you're so convincing. How can I resist?

Kumquat, I may confirm your suspicion that European parfum might be the key to your enjoyment of Guerlain; these samples came from London, surreptitously obtained by my nimble-fingered daughter from pure parfum testers.

Your stories are very amusing to read, Purplebird7! I do adore L´Heure Bleu, it is a frag who has everything. Who needs Angel when there is L´Heure Bleu...? (Sorry if I offend someone, this is just my personal oppinion...) I can follow your story of the ride in the dusky blue-violet car, so it is very well written!

And if I ever get the possibility, I will try Aprés L´Ondée - and I bet I will remember your story of the greyish-purple car, and I will find out if I can follow that trip, too!

Please, continue to write!
    Last edited by Margareta; 14th April 2007 at 03:38 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Just reviving this ancient thread...I just read Purplebird's description of L'heure Bleu and Apres L'Ondee and went straightaway to order decants of both! I love iris and anise and like violet but have sat on the fence with Apres for years. This was my inspiration...great writing!

True! Wonderful, inspiring writing! I have always valued her reviews a lot!
    Last edited by Larimar; 13th January 2013 at 05:41 PM.

queen of the universe

Thanks, presch1. We love vintage perfumes, so why not vintage posts. Beautiful writing, purplebird7. I just scored some Parfums Berdoues Violettes de Toulouse myself, and now can find violet in the likes of Volcan d'Amour as well as the Guerlains.

edited for the notorious basenotes double post.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Beautiful writing. But sadly, not valid anymore after the reformulation of both perfumes ...

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Thanks, presch1. We love vintage perfumes, so why not vintage posts. Beautiful writing, purplebird7. I just scored some Parfums Berdoues Violettes de Toulouse myself, and now can find violet in the likes of Volcan d'Amour as well as the Guerlains.

edited for the notorious basenotes double post.
    Happy to oblige! I actually have a small decant of vintage L'heure Bleu parfum. But I've never smelled EDT or EDP...looking forward to the experience. As for Apres L'Ondee, this will be my first sniff altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Beautiful writing. But sadly, not valid anymore after the reformulation of both perfumes ...

cacio
    Well, it will be a bummer if the reform has taken it too far afield. I had read that that Apres L'Ondee is more irisy now. I love iris, so I may still enjoy it. But I have no other experience of the vintage. Do you enjoy the reformulation?

I have not smelled the reformulation of Apres l'Ondee, so I'm just reporting other people's opinions (which claim, as you say, that it is now primarily an iris). I have smelled the reformulation of l'heure bleue, however; and it has lots a lot of its magic. Less carnation, less heliotropin, more spicy, not bad, but the dreamy, gourmandish character is lost.

cacio

Your stories made me chuckle out loud with delight! Please do keep writing lovely stories like these; they are so fun to read!