Code of Conduct

Default for a down-to-earth 64 year old mom

I’m planning to buy my mother a fragrance for mother’s day. Despite the fact that she's such a sweetheart that she would probably love anything anybody gave her, I'd appreciate your suggestions. She’s 64, and just retired this year. She’s the kind of person everyone likes and gets along with: friendly, outgoing, and sweet. What she is not is loud, aggressive, or seductive. Even in her younger days - she was that average-in-the-best-way, likable, sweet young woman.

My mom likes going out, and since my dad is such a homebody, my mom often goes out with friends from her sorority (who are older than her). When she goes out, it’s to meetings or museums - rarely anything resembling a “night on the town,” unless you count going to a modestly-priced restaurant with my dad. So casual would work. On the other hand, she would also love the idea of something with a touch of luxury or decadence - it might be pleasantly unusual for her. Nothing too aggressive or peculiar, though.

I am a starving adjunct professor at community colleges, so I don’t have a ton of money for niche - designer might be better. She'd be seriously impressed by anything above drug-store level. Thanks.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: for a down-to-earth 64 year old mom

Go online to luckyscent.com or aedes.com for niche scent samples or scentmonkey.com for mainstream scent samples, which run about $3 each. (You can find better prices amongst Basenotes members who decant from their own stocks, but new rules effective this weekend are going to make the posting process more complicated.)

I promise you, Mom will be infinitely delighted with a "bouquet" of samples presented in a lovely box or basket. When you buy only one frag, you've got only one shot at happiness. When you order 10, 15 or 20 samples, you're bound to strike success and guaranteed to give Mom something fun to try with every outing. She will be the talk of the town with her friends. And she can share the samples with them, if she likes.

As a 51-year-old German/English American with a taste for mild scents, I recommend L'Artisan's La Chasse aux Papillons and Nanadebary Green.

You know, we get asked this sort of question all the time, but nobody bothers to come back and report what happens. Can I give you that assignment, dear adjunct professor?
    Last edited by Quarry; 13th April 2007 at 12:48 AM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Hi, Tinfoiled--First I just want to say I think it's sweet you seem to really like and respect your Mom. There's not enough of that anymore. I hope you'd enjoy a few of my favorites for my mother. I used to like to give her an extravagant (for her) perfume for birthdays or Christmas. It was one thing she would never buy herself and she always used it and liked it. I lost her to cancer 7 years ago unfourtunately, so I hope you find something you both like and have a good Mother's Day for those of us who can't. (I don't want to lay a heavy trip on you!) I just thought your letter was so nice.

I hope you will try these at dept. stores and find something you like first. It really won't smell all that different on her. I think some of the best Dept store frags are Este Lauder and there are lots.

She might like 'Estee' (herbal) or 'Knowing' (Amber-Oriental) or fresh and modern 'White Linen'. I like Cacherel's 'Anais Anais', it's very heady floral and it's an unusual lily called 'Madonna' I think it is best on older women. It can be overpowering on a young girl but it is like a breath of frozen springtime if you can pull it off. I always get compliments on it. It is kind of love it or hate it.

Also try, Chanel #19 it's very different from the others being a mossy green chypre. I only recently discovered it. Very chic.You might have access to some of the other niche Chanels. There are some new 'Les Exclusifs' and if you can afford Bois Des Iles it would be my all-time pick of Chanel.

If she is kind of daring she might like EL 'Youth Dew'. I only recently felt old enough to pull that off. It has great sillage and 'body'. Patchouli is the featured note but it is pretty tame compared to Serge Lutens and most of what I have discovered since being on this website. It's wonderfully affordable and complex enough to amuse me for hours. A lot of bang for the buck. 'Youth Dew Nude' is a pretty amber. Not as strong as original, pretty different actually. Also 'Pleasures' is a pretty lilac inspired fragrance.

I think one of the best new dept store frags out there is 'Armani Black Code'. 'Prada for Her' is beautiful and very accessible, too. 'Samsara' is a beautiful Oriental if a bit sweet after a while. If something everyday fresh is required, I just discovered O' D'Lancome. I can't believe I went all this time not knowing about it. For $45 you can get a huge bottle and it is a great fresh green/lt musk you should try. Leave it on for a few hours and check its development. It's really a sleeper. Have fun!

Welcomewelcome Tinfoiled!! As a 77-year old Mom who loves outrageous scents I would recommend Quarry's suggestion. And would add a festive luncheon at her favorite restaurant with a surprise birthday cupcake from the staff.

And please - let us know how it comes out!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Welcome!
    You haven't told us what scents has she liked before but still...
    i know a lovely woman just like your mom and she loves chanel's Coco Mademoiselle, maybe she might like it too.
    Wish her a happy mom's day from me!
    cheers

Hi there... here's my tuppence worth:

"Youth Dew" by Estée Lauder
    "Caleche" - by Hermés
    "L'air du Temps" by Nina Ricci

All are modern classics, and well suited to a lively and vivacious mum in her 60's (I should know, I have one of those too!).

Please let us know what you decide on. Good luck!

How about the Lovely Silk & Satin from Sarah Jessica Parker? I know it probably pales to most of the great recommendations people have already given you, but it's a wonderful scent - less heady than the original, alcohol-free, and it sounds like it would suit your Mother very well. There's a certain uniqueness to it and it's suitable for both somebody in their sixties as well as in their twenties, and I think it's a friendly and sweet fragrance without being too generic.

I also second "L'air du Temps" - that one sounds great, too!
    If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.

the perfume that 's worked best for my mom and my girlfriends moms is L 'Instant de Guerlain. It 's exactly what you re looking for, it 's luxurious, well balanced and it 's a perfume that feels ladylike, modern and sexy for a woman her age group.
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

Armani Code for Woman is very likeable and affordable.
    I would also recommend Diorissimo and Diorella.

Second and third the idea of Samples and lunch, or, a Trip to the mall and lunch. Here is what to pay attention to while sampling:

Lancome Tresor -- my mama (66) adores it;
    Guy Laroche Fidji -- I adore it on her and will always think about her while wearing it;
    Boucheron Boucheron -- nice balance of modern and classy notes;
    Dolce & Gabbana (red velvet box) -- must sniff for a year-round scent;
    Christian Dior Dune -- indispensable for summer;
    Chopard Casmir/ Hanae Mori (butterfly) -- cosy;
    Chanel # 5, 19 and 22 -- on the pricier side, but very much worth it on the right skin.

Please report back!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Boucheron Boucheron -- nice balance of modern and classy notes;
    Yes, yes, yes. Classic, easy to wear.

Stella McCartney's various incarnations of Stella remain almost universally popular for a modern rose-based scent.

I just checked, and you can get samples of these two and many others from Scent Monkey by going here: http://www.scentmonkey.com/trybeforeyoubuy.php

Get a few samples for yourself, while your at it--right?
    Last edited by Quarry; 13th April 2007 at 12:23 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Thank you for all the suggestions. They will help me, because I'm not sure what fragrances she has liked in the past. I wish it were easier to take my mom to lunch or the mall (or to sneak a peek at any fragrances she's using now) - unfortunately, she's in Cleveland, Ohio - 2400 miles away from me!

Chanel #22 is the first one that came to mind. I think Bulgari pour Femme or Rose Essentielle would also be beautiful choices.

Good luck with your search

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoiled View Post
    Thank you for all the suggestions. They will help me, because I'm not sure what fragrances she has liked in the past. I wish it were easier to take my mom to lunch or the mall (or to sneak a peek at any fragrances she's using now) - unfortunately, she's in Cleveland, Ohio - 2400 miles away from me!
    That is a bit of a way to go for a meal!! Got any spies there? An obliging neighbor? Perceptive postman?

I am so leery of making recommendations based on my own experience. Case in point: my beloved daughter-in-law adores Tommygirl on me. On her (our birthdays are one day apart - we are very much alike) - to quote one of our Italian members - "pipi de chat". :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

OK, I ended up taking Quarry's advice and went to Scented Monkey this time - they had tons to choose from and everything I hoped to get except the Chanels. Maybe I'll take my mom to try out Chanels when we're in town together. I ordered:

- L'Air du Temps
    - Boucheron
    - Armani Code
    - Youth Dew
    - L'Instant de Guerlain, and
    - Stella

I'm sending the package to my dad, who I'm asking to put the samples in a nice box or basket for my mom. (When he opens the package, he'll find a surprise sample of Gucci Pour Homme for himself there.) I'll let you know what happens next month - thanks again.
    Last edited by tinfoiled; 14th April 2007 at 09:23 PM.

Oh Good Show!! :bounce:

Thanks so much for letting us know how you solved the dilemma - rully look forward to the next update!!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Oh Good Show!! :bounce:
    Ditto that!