Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry employee in perfumery treating me bad

hi all together,

yesterday i went to a branch office of my favourite perfumery in my hometown and encountered the worse treatment ever!

since i got just done studying a couple of weeks ago i spent a lot of time in my favourite perfumery. i went there almost every day and tried and tried and tried.
    i did not get the chance to to this in the past year, since the preparation for my exam took me too much time and therefore i had not been able to focus on my scent collection.

the ladies in my favourite perfumery already knew me and meanwhile left me unattended, so i never got that uncomfortable feeling, that you have, when the employees stand right next to you, trying to sell you something.

when i frequented the branch office yesterday i had to learn how nice and pleasant it is, to have a perfumery, where the employees know you and leave you alone, as long as you want to.

she was watching me hawk-eyed from the moment i entered and every attempt of mine to smooth the situation failed.

i got the impression as if she thougt, that i was going to steal something or so, so i put down my bag right next to where she was standing and went on looking around without carrying my bag.
    but no chance! she did not took her eyes of me!

i finally decided to talk to her and told her that i am a regular customer in the main parfumery and asked her not to worry about me stealing something.
    her reaction on this last attempt of making peace with her was scornful look.
    She said "yes" but she spitted it out while she looked at me with the most despite!

Man, i was so angry. so i took my sample cards and left.

has anyone made similar experiences?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: employee in perfumery treating me bad

Wow, that sounds absolutely terrible! You should mention something about it the next time you see the regular employees, because as a valued customer, it's unfair that you should be treated so poorly. Unfortunately, many of the perfume-counter ladies I've met just have a general... haughty quality, though I can't say I've ever been in your situation =/ But many of them are very helpful and kind as well, so perhaps it's better to ally yourself with those people?

Anyways, perhaps the woman was simply having a bad day - perhaps she had past experiences with shoplifting? At any rate, she shouldn't take it out on you, but I hope her attitude improves if you have another encounter with her. It was really mature of you to confront her about it and attempt to sooth the situation, but some people just don't seem to be very willing to cooperate.

Hopefully, it doesn't happen again, but definitely bring it up to somebody else at the store if it does. Sorry you had such a bad experience!
    If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly what I'd do...tell the regular employees.

My city has several different perfume boutiques, from the local department store to a beautiful little florist's shop with many niche lines. I find that the perfume sales associates at the department stores are by far the most pushy, most impatient, and most likely to lie to you to get a sale...which is sad, really. They're also the hardest to get samples from.

I know what it's like to sniff in a hostile environment! *hugs kiddo*

Post Thanks / Like

In fact, thatīs exactely what i did.

i wrote an e-mail to the shop owner, but he did not bother to answer me yet.

well, i calmed down by now and maybe it was her time of the month, so i will forgive her

*hugs Arhianrad*
    Last edited by kiddo; 13th April 2007 at 05:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Kiddo.

Whenever I encounter the attitudes from ladies at counters, which sometimes happens when they underestimate either my age, my income, or my infatuation with fragrance, I usually show them that I know more than they do about perfume in some way (especially if they try to sell me on some common fragrance) so that they'll leave me alone. Hasn't failed yet. Embarrass them a bit. At least you might feel better!
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Post Thanks / Like

ah, kotori...I feel a bit guilty about it, but I've done that too...

Post Thanks / Like

nice idea you two..............

but

but

but

the problem IS...................
    i probably DONīT know more than they do YET

but i am working on it, hihihi

Post Thanks / Like

That's what all of us Basenoters are here for!

BTW, I usually don't do it as revenge. I usually only do it when those ladies try to spray me with something. Then I go off on a flurry of my fragrance note allergies and ask some question they can't answer in order to get them off my wrists!

I guess I feel a leetle bit guilty. However, guilt does not happen to be my forte. Hmmm... Maybe I should feel guiltier! (Is that a word?) (Sigh)

One thing is, I usually get offered a job by someone when I pull that trick. It happened at the Guerlain counter in Las Vegas.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing is, I usually get offered a job by someone when I pull that trick. It happened at the Guerlain counter in Las Vegas.
    Thatīs exactely what i need.

I need a job (i will have to wait for the results of my exam at least half a year) and i needed a trick to get my foot in the door.

There is this perfume store in cologne i would love to work at so badly.

I will try the "i-know-better-than-you-do" thing

And I will tell you then.

THX a lot

P.S. Kotori, are you a dancer?
    Last edited by kiddo; 16th April 2007 at 05:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's awful.

If possible, I'd love to send Vicky Pollard to stand by your side when you encountered her.

"Don't go give me evil, you .....," and in a short moment you'd be free from her unfriendly gaze.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiddo View Post
    P.S. Kotori, are you a dancer?
    Actually, I used to dance in college. I'm actually more of a Renaissance girl. I like to write poetry, I like modern dance, I paint occasionally, I studied classical singing, I had my scholarship in acting... Now I am an English teacher and part-time make-up artist.

Post Thanks / Like

I sympathise with you. The only thing good about being middle-aged is you don't get those evil eyes from the salespeople. I remember it well...
    On a similar note, the last time I went to Sephora two saleswomen had their butts parked right over the La Maison de Vanille products, and I wanted to sample all of them, and probably buy one. They were standing there gossiping (maybe because the location was near the door) and made very little effort to move when I approached. So I didn't buy anything that day. I should have mentioned it to the manager when it happened.