Code of Conduct

Arrow Orange/Mandarin/Tangerine scents

I'm looking to buy an "orangey" frag for the summer, and would like some advice on my options.

I was thinking about Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes, but I heard it has poor longevity. I want something with some staying power. Any suggestions?

PS - just recieved a free 12 pack of Creed samples with my order from Parfumsraffy - so I'll have plenty to do testing those over the next week or so!!

Chris
    Last edited by calexs; 13th April 2007 at 08:57 AM.

Cool Re: Orange/Mandarin/Tangerine scents

For starters, check out this thread:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ght=Signoricci

And yes, Eau d'Orange Verte is quite short-lived.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: Orange/Mandarin/Tangerine scents

Hmmm.... Might want to check out Minotaure from Paloma Picasso or Fresh Index Tangerine Lychee. The tangerine lychee might be a little to feminine, though both seem to have great longevity on me. Hermes Concentree D'Orange Verte has decent longevity on me as well, but I'd still pick Minotaure over it any day.

The Hermes Oranges are nice, but they're not plain straight up orange/tangerine scents. They have a bitter leafy side to them, though they're great.

Check out Aqua di Parma's Arancia - it's excellent and it smells exactly like fresh, natural tangerine, and it actually have remarkable longevity, not only for a citrus fragrance but compared to many other frangrances as well.

It gets compliments for sure and never offends. I find it mixes well with SIlver Mountain Water too.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Also try Moschino Friends Men..

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125029.html

Live Your Life

Otto

I think by their very nature orange/citrus scents are short-lived, probably for scientific reasons that someone more knowledgeable than me can describe

that being said, I love the orangey topnotes of Neroli Sauvage, as well as the wonderful crisp green oranges of Eau d'Orange Verte (I don't much care for the concentree version though, it loses something in the translation)
    Last edited by rentboy; 13th April 2007 at 01:35 PM.

Actually you might want to try "Musgo Real" No. 1. It contains Orange/Amber and a little musk. The musk is very light and the Orange really stands out.

Try Royall Mandarin. It has the citrus notes of Happy for Men, but with a lot more siliage, strength and durability. On the down side it isn't quite as fresh and has a harsh note in it. Apply with a light hand.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Basenotes Institution

An orange/gourmand treat can be found in Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes - but its a candied orange peel note, not a wet crisp orange/citrus

For that, get the Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte...I love the Concentree version (Mr. JC Ellena, Terre d'Hermes creator, did it)

Guerlain Orange Magnifica has better lasting power.

Cool Re: Orange/Mandarin/Tangerine scents

Minotaure and Roma are two of my favorites, but if someone asked me about an 'orange' fragrance, neither would come to mind. Ladykiller, cutecake crumbler or Over The Top Italian scents---but not 'orange'

That's rather like asking for a lemon/citrus and recommending Habit Rouge, imho

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Calypso Tangerine & ll Profumo Mandarine might be worth a sampling. Luckyscent just sent me those samples and they are pretty pure scents. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    Calypso Tangerine & ll Profumo Mandarine might be worth a sampling. Luckyscent just sent me those samples and they are pretty pure scents. Good luck.

I never tried the Profumo one, but I own Calypso Tangerine Homme and I have to say ... it's my favorite "orangey" scent after Hermes D'Orange Verte Concentree. I just don't wear the latter anymore because the longevity is just so insanely poor.

Calypso is much better on the longevity, but still not a "long lasting" scent as that's very rare for any citrus.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    it's my favorite "orangey" scent after Hermes D'Orange Verte Concentree. I just don't wear the latter anymore because the longevity is just so insanely poor.

Calypso is much better on the longevity, but still not a "long lasting" scent as that's very rare for any citrus.
    Again I say with firmness - Acqua di Parma's Blu Mediterraneo Arancia, smells just like tangerine, and it is actually a long lasting scent as well! It's the longest lasting citrus I've ever encountered, and it's pure citrus at that (at least in effect, if not in composition)

Head straight for the Aqcua di Parma section!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Again I say with firmness - Acqua di Parma's Blu Mediterraneo Arancia, smells just like tangerine, and it is actually a long lasting scent as well! It's the longest lasting citrus I've ever encountered, and it's pure citrus at that (at least in effect, if not in composition)

I definitely agree with the longevity part of the AdP Arancia ... but I did own that some time back but wound up "ebaying" it away. The problem I had with it is exactly what you said. It IS pure citrus which I found kinda boring. Almost like opening a carton of Tropicana orange juice. I had the same problem with the lemon in Monsieur Balmain. It smells like just straight lemons ... and nothing else.

I'm not knocking Arancia at all, I love orange scents and I've tried them all. I just think Calypso Homme has the best combination of longevity, sillage, and something more than just straight orange. It just works the best for ME.

Try l' artisan's Mandarine Tout Simplamente ... it's the closest to an orange I've smelled. It doesn't smell like a musty citrus; it's really juicy and fresh, with some green notes and ginger. It was a limited edition but there may be bottles on ebay somewhere, or I have decants if you want.

Miller Harris Tangerine Verte is tangerine in a bottle.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Off-Scenter

Eau du Sud from Annick Goutal is a truly great citrus scent that actually has pretty decent lasting power. Tuscany per Uomo has a lot going on besides citrus, but it does have a persisitent orange note.

Eau d'Orange Verte is glorious but it has shocking longevity.

I find 4711 slightly longer lasting!

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Miller Harris Tangerine Verte is tangerine in a bottle.

TNMA
    I second this one. Great stuff though the lasting power isn't long. No orange scents seem to last long on me though.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I cant believe no one has mentioned Little Italy... pricey, I know. It's a peeled orange, plain and simple, with somewhat of a jasmine note in the heart. I'll second Tangerine Vert and Moschino Friends (which I consider the latter to be Orange Juice bottled).
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Clinique Happy for men also has a sweet orangey smell. Otherwise I'd also go for the Hermes Oranges.

I love mandarine perfumes and my favourite is Mandarino Absolue from the italian firm
    Il Profumo. It is very expensive, but the absolue version is in effect a pure perfume, so you need very little and it lasts for ages.

I once smelled a Jo Malone cologne in Lafayette Galeries, I think Orange Blossom. Btw, it smelled as a Fanta, but orange lovers could enjoy it

Try Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal, or even better, Nuits d'Hadrien from the same range. Sometimes I combine that with Orange Blossom by Jo Malone, or use the Eau d'Hadrien body lotion.

This thread wouldn't be complete without a mention of Zesty Mandarine Pampelmousse!

I'm actually thinking of going to pick some up right now!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Two other possibilities: Signoricci by Nina Ricci, and Royal English Leather by Creed.

I like Signoricci because of its pronounced mandarin note (it also has some petitgrain). But this is also countered slightly by sage and wood. They lift and aerate the citrus.

Royal English Leather is, in my view, first and foremost a mandarin scent! It also has a slight leathery aspect, and a powdery note or aspect.

BOND NO. 9 (LITTLE ITALY)
    NOTES: Clementine, Grapefruit, Mandarin

Basenotes Institution

Check out Aqua di Parma's Arancia - it's excellent and it smells exactly like fresh, natural tangerine, and it actually have remarkable longevity, not only for a citrus fragrance but compared to many other frangrances as well.
    OK, so last night I went to Neimans and headed straight for the Acqua di Parma counter to sniff the Arancia. One spray to the wrist - lovely tangerine notes (tangerine fruit, tangerine pith, peel) - quite bright, sunny and it brought a smile to my face. I immediately wanted to purchase it. But I waited for about 30 minutes and chatted with my friendly SA. In that amount of time, the Arancia disappeared very quickly.

WTF?

Did I not spray enough of it, to get the longevity that you mentioned Caesar?

I did NOT buy it.

Blog Entries

What about Miller Harris 'Citron Citron' ? 'Tangerin Vert' is good but kind of a mild citrus.
    I have L'Artisan 'Tout Simplement' and it has no longevity at all. I haven't tried 'Citron Citron ' but according to the notes it looks promising.

Blog Entries

Sheesh, why has it taken me so long to post on this thread?

Clinique Happy, for sure. It's orange & lime w/ a hint of clean musk.

I'd also recommend Banana Republic M. This stuff is VERY orangey!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Both Obsession & Lanvin Arpege have a nice mandarin/neroli top note. Obsession is more subtle but still very present.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Uh oh ... Caesar in the spotlight! It's all a lie Mike! I just want to make people buy things .. anything! Ha..

But seriously folks... as someone on whom fragrance tends to evaporate rather quickly, this one does have decent longevity on me, as good as most of my EDT's, better than some. I've never put it on my wrist, and I notice that in general things disappear from my wrist much faster than on the neck.

That said, I do use several sprays of it, 5, 6, 7, more all on the neck and face, as it isn't very powerful, and also since the smell is so pleasant and inoffensive that this is a rare exception among EDT's and fragrances in general in that you literally can't put on too much.

I suggest you try some on your neck and throat, and be generous, and it should definitely last a few hours without having to re-apply.

Hope it works, cause it's a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    OK, so last night I went to Neimans and headed straight for the Acqua di Parma counter to sniff the Arancia. One spray to the wrist - lovely tangerine notes (tangerine fruit, tangerine pith, peel) - quite bright, sunny and it brought a smile to my face. I immediately wanted to purchase it. But I waited for about 30 minutes and chatted with my friendly SA. In that amount of time, the Arancia disappeared very quickly.

WTF?

Did I not spray enough of it, to get the longevity that you mentioned Caesar?

I did NOT buy it.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 18th April 2007 at 06:34 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Diptyque Eau d'Elide

Basenotes Institution

Ok, will do the whole chest, face, neck upper body full on spray next time - I liked it and maybe the Pomegranate Noir (on my other wrist) was shifting my attention too much at the time?

Or maybe you're an Acqua di Parma rep in a clever disguise - gotcha!

Will report back to the Tangerine Fan Club very soon!

Uh oh ... Caesar in the spotlight! It's all a lie Mike! I just want to make people buy things .. anything! Ha..

But seriously folks... as someone on whom fragrance tends to evaporate rather quickly, this one does have decent longevity on me, as good as most of my EDT's, better than some. I've never put it on my wrist, and I notice that in general things disappear from my wrist much faster than on the neck.

That said, I do use several sprays of it, 5, 6, 7, more all on the neck and face, as it isn't very powerful, and also since the smell is so pleasant and inoffensive that this is a rare exception among EDT's and fragrances in general in that you literally can't put on too much.

I suggest you try some on your neck and throat, and be generous, and it should definitely last a few hours without having to re-apply.

Hope it works, cause it's a good one!

I tried the new guerlain Mandarine Basil (from the Aqua Allegoria line) and find it quite good - a very nice citrus with a fresh green edge.

And count me to the Calypso Tangerine and Acqua di Parma's Arancia fan club: both are superb. Arancia has a great bodycare range, too (shower gel and lotion etc), so you can prolong its staying power.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    What about Miller Harris 'Citron Citron' ? 'Tangerin Vert' is good but kind of a mild citrus.
    I have L'Artisan 'Tout Simplement' and it has no longevity at all. I haven't tried 'Citron Citron ' but according to the notes it looks promising.
    Yeah, you could say Citron Citron qualifies, but I'd say it's more of an orange than a mandarin or tangerine. I have it and wear it often. It's definitely a citrus-based scent through and through, orange with some lemon. There's also the slightest hint of moss...maybe that, combined with the citrus, gives off the very slight marshmallow-type note that I detect. A very enjoyable scent, perfect for summer, though I wear it year-round, and I can afford to here in California. A quality, natural scent, yet it lasts really well for a citrus on me, which is to say, not quite as long as non-citrusy scents, but it lasts just as well as other citrus scents, if not longer, perhaps owing to its high quality.

Smile Re: Orange/Mandarin/Tangerine scents

Thanks for all the help guys.

I've just ordered Concentrée D'Orange Verte (and Mugler cologne for the summer) from Fragrancenet - the price was very low, so I'll see what I think. I've never made a purchase from Fragrancenet before, but the reputation seems to be good - are they ok?

It does seem to be in the nature of orange/citrus scents to have poor longevity, and that's what made me go with the Concentrée.

I now have loads of suggestions for future purchases, so thanks again!

Chris

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by calexs View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys.

I've just ordered Concentrée D'Orange Verte (and Mugler cologne for the summer) from Fragrancenet - the price was very low, so I'll see what I think. I've never made a purchase from Fragrancenet before, but the reputation seems to be good - are they ok?

It does seem to be in the nature of orange/citrus scents to have poor longevity, and that's what made me go with the Concentrée.

I now have loads of suggestions for future purchases, so thanks again!

Chris
    Chris -

Congrats on the CDoV purchase - one of my favorites. Just feel free to overspray it (10-15 sprays) and you'll get average longevity out of it, for a citrus scent.

Fragrancenet - no haven't purchased from them before...good luck. Feel free to repost your experience with them here on Basenotes (good or bad) so that we all can be informed for future purchases, etc.

Hi guys,

This is my first post in the forum, so please be gentle... :-)

I am using Creed Private Collection - Selection Vertes and I love it. Great mandarine scent and with a hint of mint, makes it an incredible combination!!! Only problem is that its relatively hard to get and packaging starts from 250ml. Considering its quality, rarity and size its quite a good deal imho.

Also today I got myself a bottle of Il Profumo Mandarine. Pure mandarine, very long lasting!!!

Acqua di Parma's Arancia is a great choice too, but also (on my skin) it doesnt really last very long...a great fragrance nevertheless!!!

Best regards,
    Spiros

gotta go with Bond Little Italy here

I'm in the same bandwagon for Orange Verte Concentree, tart and green with a wooded base to keep its longevity as well as Eau/Elixir/Parfum des Merveilles, and L'Occitane Ruban d'Orange is also great, straight up orange, zesty fresh like it was freshly peeled with a fizziness to it--really uplifting with decent longevity.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Thumbs up Re: Orange/Mandarin/Tangerine scents

100% QUOTE 100%
    And excuse me if I allow, the complete name is: Blu Mediterraneo Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma. In the top notes there is the B-E-S-T orange fragrance that I have never smelled! And the M-O-S-T natural orange fragrance! It's very very fresh and the alcoholic percentage is low, in fact it's defined "eau perfumee" and not eau de toilette. Perfect for Summer: Most advised! :wave:Ciao, mr.setter
    http://basenotes.net/wardrobe/8905

"Il profumo dei fiori non puo' andare controvento, ma il profumo delle buone azioni compiute da uomini virtuosi si effonde in tutte le direzioni."[Dhammapada]

Bond no. 9 Little Italy has some good tangerine oranges ..
    -

Basenotes Institution

Just tried Tangerine Verte by Miller Harris today, for the 1st time.

I had high expectations for this - but honestly, the overall affect replicated Eau D'Orange Verte by Hermes so strongly, I can't imagine owning both. I also found the tangerine notes a little less 'tangerine peel' than Arancia by AdP.

I still think Arancia has probably my favorite tangerine top notes, ever. It just lasts horribly short on me, I'm thinking even shorter than other people experience.

Quote Originally Posted by calexs View Post
    I'm looking to buy an "orangey" frag for the summer, and would like some advice on my options.

Any suggestions?
    Well, since you are in England, I would scare up a sample of Serge Lutens Mandarine Mandarin. If you love it they will ship a bell jar of it to you, you lucky sot.

Three good ones:

Orange Spice, Creed.
    Cologne Bigarade, E P Frederic Malle.
    Cuir Oranger, Miller Harris.

How about Creed Neroli Sauvage?

Bond No. 9 (Little Italy)

Although it is somewhat short lived when it comes to sillage, I find it stays close to the skin for a long time.

Parfums de Nicolai - Cologne Sologne

I could only dream they'd make it an EdT or EdP. If only the sillage power lasted a little bit longer. I still think I will purchase a bottle considering it's $55 for 100ml. I don't think I would miss the money as much as I would not getting it.

Don't forget Happy for Men, Le Roy Soleil and (albeit a tad off-topic) Jo Malone's Grapefruit.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

For summer, my personal thumbs up to:

COMPTOIR SUD PACIFIQUE - O'POMELO

Its zesty grapefruit/pomelo notes are both striking and refreshing!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 23rd August 2007 at 04:36 PM.