Code of Conduct

Default need advice: Diptyque

I have to choose two 50 ml bottles from Diptyque
    what would you get?

I am thinking about Philosykos and maybe Tam Dao, ofresia and eau de lierre
    Last edited by DreamerII; 13th April 2007 at 08:18 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: need advice: Diptyque

Those are good choices. I think Philosykos is foolproof, but that's because I like it so much. No, not entirely. It's foolproof because it is the most likely winner for men out of the whole line. Very good choice.

Tam Dao is also spectacular, but it took longer for me to understand it and be impressed by it. Now it knocks me out and I won't be without it, but at the same time I can see and understand that it's on the edge and that you or anyone might not like it.

Same can be said about all the scents from Diptyque, I guess, maybe more so than other lines. Opôné is another one I think you should consider. Rose and saffron on some kind of light woody base. One of my super super favorites that sold itself to me at the very first sniff. A scent I exactly, exactly liked. Don't know if you'll feel that way, but it's another of the close to sure winners when I think of the Diptyque line up. Another is L'Ombre dans l'Eau. But since it's also a rose scent, you have to be into the that slice of the scent experience. If woods are more your thing, Tam Dao is one of the stronger bets for sure.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

If you like green, Virgilio is a very unique and herby take on it...

-Ronald

Ronald is right--Virgilio is a good one, and a conservative bet. Eau Trois is a woodiest of woodies too, sort of a drier and more austere Yatagan.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Tam Dao all the way
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

Off-Scenter

Philosykos may just be too good to pass up! I second the suggestion to try either Opone or L'Ombre dans l'Eau, and would encourage you to try out Eau Lente, too. It is a deep and hypnotic opopanax scent that works well on men.

Tam Dao is my #1 Diptyque. I was a little underwhelmed by Virgilio and L'Ombre dans l'Eau, and even Philosykos. Tam Dao, however, is heaven scent (Oh! bad pun...)
    . I've even worn it to bed a few times. Yum.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Tam Dao
    Eau Lente

1st choice - Tam Dao
    2nd choice - Philosykos

Eau Lente
    Ôponé
    Philosykos
    L'Eau Trois
    L'Eau

Tam Dao's an excellent scent but it's sort of like sucking air through a bent straw.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th April 2007 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Tam Dao's an excellent scent but it's sort of like sucking air through a bent straw.
    By that I take it to mean that you find Tam Dao to have weak sillage.
    Is that what you mean?

summer means fireflys

My personal favorites from the line are Tam Dao and Eau Lente.

Tam Dao was recommended by a friend, he described it as "zen-like" and that's very accurate. Eau Lente is deep, spicy opoponax, very rich.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

thanks for your responses

it's strange to me that nobody writes about the other dyptique scents - just half of them are "on the discourse"...
    the same to my mind is with l'artisan...f.e. it's very uncommon to here about bois farine.
    to my mind bois farine - one of the most interesting of l'artisan

does anybody has ofresia or eau de lierre?

or maybe somebody likes l'autre?
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    it's strange to me that nobody writes about the other dyptique scents - just half of them are "on the discourse"
    I can offer my thoughts about a few of the other Diptyque scents.

OFRÉSIA was created by Olivia Giacobetti, the same nose who created Philosykos. The freesia note is a white peppery flower on a woody base. In my opinion, this is a fine example of a white floral that is absolutely not too feminine. It is a cheerful, mentally uplifting fragrance, and it is very long-lasting.

L'EAU is a fragrance that reminds me of Christmas pot pourri, with notes of cinnamon, sandalwood, geranium, rose, and cloves. L'EAU is the first fragrance that was created by Diptyque. L'EAU has very good longevity, and its rose note is expecially attractive. If I had any L'EAU in my possession, I would put it on right now, because I have a craving for it.

OYÉDO is certainly one of the longest lasting citrus fragrances available anywhere. My impression when I wear this fragrance is that I am wearing hard sweet citrus candy. This is a fragrance with a sense of humor, and it is really a blast to wear every once in a while.

EAU D'ÉLIDE has a very unusual and beautiful accord of wild lavender, bitter orange, and musk. Is there any other fragrance that combines lavender, bitter orange, and musk? This fragrance is so attractive that I sometimes can’t stop myself from repeatedly sniffing it on my arm.

Id definitely recomend Tam Dao. Its high on my "to buy" list!

I also have a Diptyque query...
    Years ago when living in Australia, I ran across the one and only Diptyque stockist in my town and was so thrilled, I had to try the entire portfolio of fragrances on the spot; filling up my arms (and to the dismay of my wife, hers as well).
    There was one scent that stood out as both unsettling and enticing, and I recall the SA telling me it had a 'faun' note in it. I was a little horrified at the idea at first, but it was precisely this note that compelled me to keep sniffing. I remember it featuring quite heavily in the mix... are there any basenoters out there that can kindly give me the name of this forgotten fragrance? I wouldnt mind having another look as it has haunted me for ages.

Thanks!

I can answer that one.

Eau D'Elide: bitter orange,wild lavender and aromatic shrubs. A trace of fawn.
    Created in 1988.

And yes I did once sniff it. I was expecting more lavender and didn't get it so put it away.

Oh and though John Gallano(sp) is classed as a room spray many wear it as fragrance with no ill effects.
    DONNA

Donna youre a trooper! Thanks very very much