Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Exclamation A Replacement for Cher's Uninhibited perfume?

Can anyone suggest a replacement frangrance for someone who's all-time favorite was Cher's Uninhibited perfume (the original)? To me, all else smells like either an old lady's perfume, a cleaning agent, soap or shampoo, a deodorizer, a funeral home, a child's perfume, etc., even the more expensive ones. I always felt comfortable, night or day, wearing this frangrance, and received compliments from strangers constantly. I've been searching endlessly and am hoping that maybe someone here can offer some help. I was out looking again tonight and I'm just about ready to give up on ever finding a frangrance I really enjoy.
    Thanks in advance,
    Linda Franz

direct emails welcome at: [email protected]

Default Re: A Replacement for Cher's Uninhibited perfume?

I have a female friend that wears Gaultier's Le Male. Looking at the reviews for both of those they seem to share a sort of vanilla/musk scent underneath. I've never smelled the Cher perfume so I can't tell you how close they are, but it might be worth a sniff or two for you.
    - E.J.

I appreciate your suggestion and will try to find Gaultier's Le Male and try it. I'm at my wits end... I'm a person who enjoys wearing fragrance, but cannot find anything I really enjoy. Sometimes I "settle" for what I've got, but they really end up nauseating me by the end of the day, and then I end up wearing nothing rather than being disgusted with myself all day.
    I have a few more questions I'd like to add to this thread, I'm new here and hope you don't mind my persistance...

1) I see Uninhibited sold on the internet, but I know it's been out of production for years. Wouldn't it be a waste of money to buy "an old bottle"? It couldn't possibly smell as good after all these years, especially since I've seen it on E-Bay for $700.00 a bottle. I have an old bottle of the EDT I found at a pharmacy a few years after it went out of production - it didn't smell the same then, it lost so much already, but I only paid $35.00 - no big loss.
    2) Basenotes has the ingredients listed as: TN - Lily, Peony, Dried Fruits, MN - Ylang-Ylang, Orris, Magnolia, BN - Vanilla, Heliotrope, Musk. I found the ingredients listed elsewhere as: TN - Bergamot, Orange Oil, Aldehydic Accords, MN - Heliotrope, Ylang-Ylang, Geranium, Jasmin, Rose, Tabac, BN - Cedarwod, Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver. Does anyone know which listing is more accurate? Could the listing on Basenotes be the ingredients of the "remaking" by LLP and not the original? Could a remake be that much different? (Doesn't matter, I guess, they are both out of production!)
    3) What are your thoughts on this perfume? Am I the only one who misses it so much? I don't see it mentioned much here.
    4) Is there anyone out there who could direct me to a fragrance that smells even a little bit similar? It would have to be someone who misses the fragrance as much as I. I would be forever grateful.
    Very sincerely,
    Linda Franz
    [email protected]

I'm afraid I can't help at all, never having sniffed it myself, but I just wanted to add a nod to your intense frustration at having a favourite fragrance disappear. I've lost several over the years, and it's truly horrible. I hope you're able to find a suitable substitute. I'm not sure about getting hold of 'old' bottles either - I recently did that with a bottle of Monsoon, and it doesn't smell anything like as good as the one bottle I've been using sparingly for years now. It has a mustiness to it that mine doesn't have. Having said that, I've bought a lot of perfumes from Ebay recently, and I've done pretty well so far - just not so well with Monsoon. :-(
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I've had really good luck on eBay with discontinued favourites, although there have been a couple of disappointments too. I do remember reading Luca Turin saying somewhere that when buying something discontinued, you should consider not spending any more than you would spend on a brand new perfume, and I try to stick with that (although I did fork over a huge amount for a bottle of Guet Apens recently).

The main problem is that you just don't know how things will have been kept, and a bottle which has been in sunlight or heat for a while will probably have problems. There are a few things you can do - find a seller you trust, try to buy bottles still in sealed boxes, and ask for more photographs if it's not clear whether there's been evaporation.

Good luck - and I'll keep an eye out for a bottle!

Blog Entries

http://www.irmashorell.net/s.nl/sc.7/category.46/.f
    Give this a try. I've had good luck with this company.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonetoday View Post
    What are your thoughts on this perfume? Am I the only one who misses it so much? I don't see it mentioned much here.

Is there anyone out there who could direct me to a fragrance that smells even a little bit similar? It would have to be someone who misses the fragrance as much as I. I would be forever grateful.
    I loved Uninhibited when it came out. I thought it was inherently wearable by either gender. Perhaps it was just a little too abstract for the market at the time.

If you can find a bottle that hasn't been opened before, that might work better. I see unopened bottles of the perfume show up on eBay. As someone else pointed out, they do tend to go for a pretty steep price, but the price seems to fluctuate up and down. Keep looking; you might get lucky and hit it at the right time.

I have tried the copy that Kumquat mentions. It is about as close to the original Uninhibited that you'll get outside of the real stuff. I didn't care for it myself, but you might find you like it just as much as the original.

Good luck,

-- Tim

P.S. Skip the LeMale. It's vile, nasty stuff!
    Last edited by BlueDevilSF; 16th April 2007 at 07:14 PM.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

I got an old newspaper print drawer sold for a shadow box on Ebay, and BTW the old mini collection it housed. Yup, there was Cher Uninhibited in a 10ml EdT mini, along with seventy mini's with juice and thirty empty bottles.

I'm sorry but I just had to try it. I flicked just the tiniest drop on the back of my hand, probably 1/10 of an ml, the size of a pin head.

My hair and cheeks blew back as I was pressed against the wall.

I've never smelled anything so strong. Soooooo, this is what perfume used to be!!!!!! I blink rapidly at the memory. And yet, it's really really really good. I believe the second set of notes supplied by gonetoday-- there is definately some very creamy tobacco with a dark sandalwood and rich vetiver, and probably patchouli with that... well, vanilla just isn't a big enough word. Smooth as molasses.

10ml will give 100 applications.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Just thought I'd mention that I lucked out and got a brand new .25 oz. bottle, sealed and all, for a very good price on eBay. I believe the seller had more for sale under the Buy it Now heading for about $60. I haven't tried mine yet, but it looks OK so far. I'm looking forward to finding out whether it's as good as I remember!
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Wink Re: A Replacement for Cher's Uninhibited perfume?

I remember when Uninhibited came out and I tried to wear it for quite a while because it was so beautiful and different. Unfortunately, I could never apply lightly enough, and usually got a raging headache from it. In short, I loved it, but it didn't love me back!
    The main note I remember was heliotrope - painted large with a really big brush. You might want to start there and sniff your way. I can't imagine what an aged bottle of this might smell like - not sure if I'd bite on the original bottle.
    Good luck!

Uninhibited was my first favorite scent, I was 16 years old when it was released, i remember how $65 for a quarter ounce of parfum was a lot of money for me back then. When it was discontinued i broke the bank & "hoarded" three 1.7oz, one 1oz & a .25oz pure parfums. I still have them, i have kept them in their original boxes & sealed in double ziplock bags in a mini refrigerator that i only store my fragrances in. I just sampled some from one of the opened bottles & to my nose it smells exactly as it did in the 80's. I'd be more than happy to send you some for you to try out, i have some small unused tester spray vials that they offer at Nordstrom for customers to fill from their tester bottles. My email is [email protected] if you're interested email me your mailing address & I'll send ya some :-) -Jeff
    Smell ya later

Perhaps Brindille

I know this is a old question but I just ran across this and wanted to give you some info..
    This is a link to a place that has this, and it's great!
    You can even get sample viles of it for $6 so you know before hand if you will like it.
    But I think this will be just what your looking for..
    Good luck,
    Heather

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...ibitedEDT.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Gonetoday View Post
    Can anyone suggest a replacement frangrance for someone who's all-time favorite was Cher's Uninhibited perfume (the original)? To me, all else smells like either an old lady's perfume, a cleaning agent, soap or shampoo, a deodorizer, a funeral home, a child's perfume, etc., even the more expensive ones. I always felt comfortable, night or day, wearing this frangrance, and received compliments from strangers constantly. I've been searching endlessly and am hoping that maybe someone here can offer some help. I was out looking again tonight and I'm just about ready to give up on ever finding a frangrance I really enjoy.

Thanks in advance,
    Linda Franz

direct emails welcome at: [email protected]

Blog Entries

HNW, welcome to Basenotes. I was going to post the same link, because I was delighted to find it. They have various sizes of this decant. TPC is known for genuine items.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I suggest you find a nice, high quality Vanilla fragrance that you love (Cher herself says she love's L'artisan's Vanilia and Comptoir Sud Pacifique's Vanilla line, I also happen to love those scents) and then get some oriental floral that has enough wood, especially sandalwood, and flowers, especially; lily, peony, orange flower. Aldehyde, rum and tobacco notes are also a big plus. And then you layer those two fragrances whatever they are and Voila... you got your version of Uninhibited, that you can love as much as Cher's version. I think Dior Addict and Uninhibited have very similar dry down and some friends of mine have said that it has similar opening to Chanel no 5. But after all, I hear ya, I wish Cher would bring it back but propably not because she has new perfume coming up later this year or next. I know it will be just as fabulous because Cher is super involved in the making of the perfume and also she's really into perfumes in general and knows a lot about them...