Code of Conduct

Thread: Mechant Loup

Default Mechant Loup

Get me to the Gallo Clinic...

I just bought a bottle of L'Artisan's Mechant Loup... Though the process of buying it left a bad taste in my mouth. I am done with all things Neiman Marcus. I was in there the other day to buy Virgin Island Water and I was lamenting the fact that this particular store did not carry L'Artisan fragrances. The SA pointed me to a lonely bottle 3.4 oz bottle of Mechant Loup on the back wall. I asked how much. She said $110. I bought the Virgin Island Water and said I'd probably come back for the Mechant Loup.

Today I came to get the Mechant Loup. The nice SA that dealt with me last week took the bottle over to another counter and had some other woman ring me up (why do they do this?) My total was something like $135. I thought that sounded high but I wasn't paying that much attention. Then, as I was driving home I realised I'd been overcharged by $15. The worst part though--I paid with cash and they DIDN'T GIVE ME A RECEIPT! I got home and called them and the lady on the phone was really cold and didn't really give a shit. She said I'd have to come back in to the store and bring it back and all that jazz... I don't feel like messing with it. This store can't get anything right. Even when I bought my Virgin Island Water, I explicitly asked for the 4oz. Then got to my car and realized they'd given me the 2.5 oz. bottle--and had to go back in and pay more the get the right one. They act like you're a street urchin if you buy something with cash. And why is it the MORE money you spend, the WORSE service you receive? I'm writing a letter.

OK-- I got that out of my system. Onto Mechant Loup.

I'd worn a sample of Mechant Loup a few years ago and loved it. It was always on my to-buy list, but I kept intending to purchase it in the fall and never got around to it. I was going to pass on buying it now, but since this Spring has been rainy and dark so far, I might be able to squeeze a few weeks of use out of it.

This is one of the most bizarre yet comforting scents I've worn. At first it kind of smells like vegetables and spit out chewing tobacco, with the feel of a used coffee mug. Then there's the always dual natured honey/urine phenol notes--is it honey or wolf pee? You decide. A bit of apple juice and stale crackers. The hazelnut is there, but I don't really perceive it as hazelnut unless I think about it.

The overall effect though is very unified, rich, and warming. It's like a snifter of B&B (or more accurately, Frangelico) in the late hours. This scent isn't so much "big bad wolf" as it is "lone wolf"-- like maybe the confirmed bachelor who usually spends his rainy nights alone in a wooden chair, a book in his hands and a single 75 watt lightbulb hanging over his head, as the rain beats on the window. Maybe some Schubert playing. Sure, he'll occasionally ravish any Little Red Riding Hood who crosses his path and begs for it, but he'll always be happiest at home alone with just a book and himself.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 15th April 2007 at 03:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mechant Loup

I sampled Mechant Loup awhile ago, but I spilled like half the sample vial . I have a little bit left, though. Just from sniffing the vial, it smells like something familiar. Or maybe I'm just recalling the time I sampled Mechant Loup, lol. I don't think that's the case, though. I like the smell...but if there's something else that smells similar for less money I'd be more likely to get that. Any ideas of what that could be?

And that SUCKS about your experience @ NM!!! I don't have one near me, so I don't shop there. I friggin' hate rude, difficult, & snobby SA's, though.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    I sampled Mechant Loup awhile ago, but I spilled like half the sample vial . I have a little bit left, though. Just from sniffing the vial, it smells like something familiar. Or maybe I'm just recalling the time I sampled Mechant Loup, lol. I don't think that's the case, though. I like the smell...but if there's something else that smells similar for less money I'd be more likely to get that. Any ideas of what that could be?

And that SUCKS about your experience @ NM!!! I don't have one near me, so I don't shop there. I friggin' hate rude, difficult, & snobby SA's, though.
    Hmmm... I can't think of anything that smells like Mechant Loup. I do recall when I first sampled it, there was this feeling that I'd smelled it before--and I think I remember that I thought it smelled exactly like another fragrance--which I'll never be able to think of. But then after I sampled Mechant Loup properly, I came to realize I don't think there's anything like it. I do wish I could remember what I initially thought it was similar to though...

Yeah, I'm doused in Mechant Loup right now and enjoying it immensely. It takes me away to another time and place like maybe a Dickens novel or something.

NM seems to be the worst place to shop for fragrances based on reports on this forum. I've heard nothing but complaints and horror stories from that place. I can just imagine how they would treat a young guy like me. They're very condescending in most department stores I go to, however I did get exceptional service at Barneys NY when I was sampling some FM.

As far as Mechant Loup is concerned, I delayed buying it in the winter and now I think it's too late. I would probably be way out of place in the summer, no matter what the circumstances I believe.

Great story.

Damn those sales assistants. I didn't even know Niemans sold L'Artisan, even if it was just one bottle. You did indeed get ripped off though. The taxes make the price of L'Artisans all come out to $120 in the 3.4oz size. You got a great fragrance though. I would gladly pay that higher price for such a scent.

Mechant Loup is one of my top L'Artisans and always in my top 5 overall. I have worn it a lot recently and recieved very nice comments about it, especially from the females. Anyway, I love that hazelnutty, woddy oriental smell. It is very new and strange to me but I have have two botttles to get used to it with. I'm happy to hear another is so enthusiastic about this fragrance. You've convinced me to wear it today (it's acutally night but I havn't showered yet so it'll be my SOTE).

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Borky View Post
    ...As far as Mechant Loup is concerned, I delayed buying it in the winter and now I think it's too late. I would probably be way out of place in the summer, no matter what the circumstances I believe.
    True. Mechant Loup is a personal favorite of mine, but I will soon have to put it away until next October. It is a very autumnal fragrance, perfect for cold, wet days.

I rather love Mechant Loup. Got a good deal on it from a fellow basenoter.

Don't let your terrible NM experience(s) ruin your lovely fragrances...

I was sent a sample of Merchant Loup (amongst others) with my order for Voleur de Roses. If I ever manage to get rid of the L'Heure Bleue in which I'm currently drenched, I will try a proper test of it. In the meantime I have put a drop on to my index finger, and the topnote smells to me like fennel seeds before I grind them for the curry. I'll have to wait for the hazelnut to come through.

when i first sampled mechant loup,it was ok. ti wasnt till my vial was empty and thats when i fell in love with it. i crave for that mechant loup honey drydown. one of my favs and should be my next purchase.
    come 2 the edge he said,they said we scared,come 2 the edge he said, they came,he pushed them and they flew.

Basenotes Institution

I have a sample, sitting right next to my computer keyboard - what a coincidence...

I think I'll try it tomorrow (I used to LOVE Frangelico, I drank it years ago...)

I've never had bad experiences at Neiman Marcus, but I try not to purchase there
    anyway, since the prices are never discounted.

The annoying thing about Neimans is that [I assume this is still the case]
    they don't accept Visa or MasterCard. Maybe they don't need any more
    business, but this will be a deal breaker for many.

Yeah, Costco doesn't accept Visa or MasterCard either, but at least at Costco
    you are getting the lowest prices around. At Neimans you're getting the highest,
    and they still expect you to use Amex or their own [oh please] credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    I've never had bad experiences at Neiman Marcus, but I try not to purchase there
    anyway, since the prices are never discounted.

The annoying thing about Neimans is that [I assume this is still the case]
    they don't accept Visa or MasterCard. Maybe they don't need any more
    business, but this will be a deal breaker for many.

Yeah, Costco doesn't accept Visa or MasterCard either, but at least at Costco
    you are getting the lowest prices around. At Neimans you're getting the highest,
    and they still expect you to use Amex or their own [oh please] credit card.
    Yeah, this was one of the annoying things about the whole experience-- I had to pay cash because they don't take VISA. I get the impression that they wouldn't even accept cash if they could get away with it.

It's a weird vibe going on there. Botoxed poker faces and a funeral vibe. I can't go in that place without popping a prescription sedative. Bad vibes all around. And they don't care how much money you drop on something YOU WANT-- they only want you to buy what THEY WANT YOU TO BUY!!!

The sad part of the story is a year ago I went there and bought Issey Bleue from a really nice male SA, and the service was excellent-- he even sent me a handwritten thank-you card a few weeks later. Last week I asked if he was still there and they said he was not. They said he went to work at SAKS-- I'd be happy to go to SAKS, but this particular SAKS has a pitiful selection. Maybe it's changed. I'll have to go pay them a visit.

Regardless, I'm thrilled to have a bottle of Mechant Loup-- of course the weather was nice today, so I couldn't wear it to work. And yet it wasn't nice enough for me to wear VIW-- so I wore Hugo Boss Baldessarini. I'd never really worn Baldessarini before, but I really enjoyed wearing it (bought a bottle cheap last year, but never wore it). I want it to rain though, so I can wear Mechant Loup!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Hmmm... I can't think of anything that smells like Mechant Loup.
    Well now there is, Gucci PH II. Not a dead ringer, but Mechant Loup was my only association while sniffing the new Gucci... I'm no fan of either.

I wore my sample of Mechant Loup last night. Like other l'Artisan fragrances it was rather fleeting and needed topping up too quickly. I didn't dislike the scent, but it didn't seem to change from the original fennel seeds I'd briefly smelled earlier in the day when I dabbed a bit on my finger. That's as near as I could get to identifying anything about it. Not unpleasant, but not screaming for another try.

I wore Méchant Loup yesterday once again and this time I was able to detect it the whole day. Maybe because I wore a chemise? Longevity always was a problem with ML (exactly the same bottle), but I always wore a T-Shirt then.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Love this one. I just wish the roasted, sweet hazelnut vibe would stick around a bit longer. The cozy myrrh base is very comforting though. ML has some in common with Passage D'enfer thanks to that anchoring myrrh, but where PdE goes all churchy with the incense, ML is much more rustic and warm - both are great.

MMM

Basenotes Institution

OK - I wore my sample of Mechant Loup for the 1st time today (on a side note: what's up with the name...mean wolf...? WTF?)

Anyway - it lasted about 1 1/2 minutes on my skin...I got absolutely no hazelnut notes, but I did get some fleeting honey notes and a mild clean smell I can really describe (maybe myrhh?)

Maybe my sample (from Luckyscent) was exposed to too much sunlight/time/etc?

I'm willing to retry this, but like so many L'Artisans that I like (Ananas Fizz, L'Passage d'Enfer) I have a feeling this is going to be annoying low in longevity on me.

Off-Scenter

Question Re: Mechant Loup

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    OK - I wore my sample of Mechant Loup for the 1st time today (on a side note: what's up with the name...mean wolf...? WTF?)

Anyway - it lasted about 1 1/2 minutes on my skin...I got absolutely no hazelnut notes, but I did get some fleeting honey notes and a mild clean smell I can really describe (maybe myrhh?)

Maybe my sample (from Luckyscent) was exposed to too much sunlight/time/etc?

I'm willing to retry this, but like so many L'Artisans that I like (Ananas Fizz, L'Passage d'Enfer) I have a feeling this is going to be annoying low in longevity on me.
    Wow. I wonder what accounts for all these constrasting experiences with ML's longevity? This scent holds for at least 12 hours on me!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 16th April 2007 at 06:33 PM.