Code of Conduct

Default Thinking about fragrance bans...

Hey guys, I was driving around this morning and for some reason I started thinking about all the places that are banning fragrances. It sucks. But maybe some people are ruining it for the rest of us.

Last night at work, this woman came into the bar reeking of this heavy oriental perfume. It wouldn't have been too bad if she had only worn a tiny bit, but it was loud as all f*ck--and it was annoying to several people. That's when it hit me-- it's obnoxious people like this that are going to ruin it for the rest of us.

I've noticed that almost any time someone comes into the bar wearing a fragrance with what anybody on here would deem "desirable sillage", most of my coworkers scrunch up their faces and quietly say things like "Oh, that perfume/cologne is too strong." And not that my coworkers don't wear fragrances. All of the women I work with wear stuff like Escada, SJP's Lovely, Chanels, and other stuff-- but they put on just the proper amount so that you only smell it when they're right up close to you. And it's pleasant and attractive.

And I do recall the time I put too much Aramis Surface on and made my coworkers gag. And I never did it again. I still wear fragrances everyday, but I do it in a way that subtly enhances my presence--not in a way that screams.

I mean, if you like a nice Armani suit, do you buy it three sizes too big so that it drapes off of you and flaps around in your wake, because more is better? No, you buy it so that it sleekly skirts your frame and gives you a crisp look.

But I really, really don't want businesses and government institutions to ban fragrances-- it would be the end of the world. Reckless spritzers like that woman in the bar need to think of the consequences their narcissistic actions may have on the rest of us who enjoy in moderation. They're giving everyone else a black eye.

Just something I was thinking about.

Default Re: Thinking about fragrance bans...

Yeah, I swear some people have just burned out their own sense of smell. I had a patient fairly recently, baby of two-three months old (I don't specifically remember, but it was a little tyke) in with reactive airway disease/bronchiolitis. Came in the ER wheezing and squeaking with inflammed airways.

I get to the patient room and it takes me less than a second to figure out what the baby's problem is. Dad has just gotten out of the shower and apparently splashed around in some sort of fragrance... too strong to even take a guess or figure out what it smelled -like- there in the little closed-ventilation (Isolation for potential RSV pending some labs) room. Dear GAWD, it basically just burned down the back of my throat... that kind of application that you can literally TASTE the crap halfway across the room. It's shutting down MY airways, and this dude's there with a teeny baby that can't breathe with zero clue why that might be.

We're talking 'chemical pneumonitis' levels of corrosive fragrance clogging up the ole lungs. I flat-out TELL the guy what's what and the response is more of an irritated 'I can do what I want, what I wear is not any of your business, blah blah' response than concern for his own kid.

In light of THAT, it's pretty easy to see how these sorts of people don't give a damn about random strangers in the public venue if you can't get 'em to back off a bit to keep their own offspring from choking out.
    --------------------------------------
    "...narcissistic actions may have on the rest of us who enjoy in moderation..."

Oh, and by the way, THIS little bit of phrase covers a -lot- of ground outside the realm of fragrances. Primo point in general.
    Last edited by Travtex; 12th April 2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

seems to be part of the "time" we are living in....
    # no eating certain foods
    # no wearing certain clothes/fragrances
    # no support for certain social issues
    # no making more income than you need
    # no ingesting/ smoking substances in designated places
    # no driving certain vehicles

the list goes on ...a bit too close to 1984
    wolf

well,.. dont worry at all, in future everybody will wear fragance in a right way, and we wont have any problem...or wear it so loud, and we ll be in jail haha

It's too bad, but many people do have a legitimate allergy to certain fragrance components. It's mostly an allergy to heavily synthetic colognes/perfumes (Calvin Klein, Boss, etc... mostly American mainstream perfume brands)
    Unfortunately, most people associate the word "cologne" with those more ubiquitous fragrances, and then everyone who wears fragrance has to bear the blow, like you said.

I know some people who get an instant migraine from almost any mainstream American designer perfume, but they're completely fine with European fragrances. It probably has something to do with the amount of synthetics used in American perfume, or the chemical stabilizers. Strange, eh?

I learned that I'm really sensitive to the synthetic Calone which is in most "Aquatics" like Aqua di Gio etc. I have a bottle of calone in my perfumers' organ, and every time I've put in on testing strips, It makes my nose runny/stuffy. It's really the only chemical that I know of that bothers me like this. Even if I go away for a few days and come back to a room that has testing strips still sitting there, it causes my nose to go crazy.

I've been able to use calone but only at trace levels without it bothering me.

Probably one reason why I really HATE Aqua di Gio. Not only is it annoyingly popular, but it makes me a mouthbreather if I don't have nasal spray handy.

One thing we have to keep in mind: the "oversprayers" are a minority. That's why some of us really feel bothered when we met someone with tons of annoying (subjective perception)stuff. It's not that usual...
    So, the question is: Why ban fragrances just because of a few? Better off inviting them to go out of the establishment (in this particular case).

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    ...Probably one reason why I really HATE Aqua di Gio. Not only is it annoyingly popular, but it makes me a mouthbreather if I don't have nasal spray handy.
    rofl about the mouth breather comment. I can't stand mouth breathers. So annoying!

The only people I've come across that make me gag aren't wearing any scent - they just have that unwashed-for-four-days-underarm smell which is overpowering from three paces.

I wish some government would ban them.
    Renato

"So, the question is: Why ban fragrances just because of a few? Better off inviting them to go out of the establishment (in this particular case)."

See, that would be the voice of reason. In the modern USA system, at least, the way it works is that laws banning things are immediately passed the moment there's a whiny-a$$ed minority. The $$ part probably being key.

Lately, it seems that in a room of 1000 people:

1 person plays with his toys.
    2 people become offended and gripe about it.
    997 people pretty much don't care.
    Congress swooops in, banning all toys remotely similar to the original Horribly Offensive models.

The correct answer here is to single out those who wear choking quantities of perfume and deal with them individually. The problem is that people lack the courage, conviction, and drive to deal with such issues directly and accept responsibility for their actions.. so they leave such things to the authorities, which can only act by restricting freedom.

Sadly, the more this happens, the more we teach ourselves that those authorities should handle our problems for us, and the more we expect and empower those authorities to punish anyone who acts out of line. We're creating a society of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
    The correct answer here is to single out those who wear choking quantities of perfume and deal with them individually. The problem is that people lack the courage, conviction, and drive to deal with such issues directly and accept responsibility for their actions.. so they leave such things to the authorities, which can only act by restricting freedom.

Sadly, the more this happens, the more we teach ourselves that those authorities should handle our problems for us, and the more we expect and empower those authorities to punish anyone who acts out of line. We're creating a society of sheep.
    That's totally true. With regards to everything. In the old days I remember if my mom or dad didn't like the way someone was treating their kid in public, they'd say something to them about it. These days, people don't get involved. And nowadays if you told some welfare mom to stop beating her child in the checkout line, you'd probably get shot or sued by Al Sharpton anyway.

With all of the modern shapings of "correctness" and "tolerance" we feel that WE are the transgressors if we want to have a word with somebody about their incivility.

And it is sad that they would want to ban fragrances because of the actions of a few. There is no reason to put that many sprays of a fragrance on and walk into a crowded room. Because most of the people there want to just breathe and do their own thing without having to have a mandatory confrontation with someone's "Holy Grail"--Someone who is standing maybe thirty feet away, chomping on a cocktail weenie and picking their nose.

And since most people are mildly annoyed and easily led sheep, they will put up little resistance when the fragrance ban is put into effect like the smoking ban. (I'm FOR the smoking ban). It's going to be one of those slippery slope things that comes to fruition just because the slope has been coated with K-Y for years. Still, it could be staved off if people would exercise good judgment and not piss off the people whom they have to share oxygen with.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    The only people I've come across that make me gag aren't wearing any scent - they just have that unwashed-for-four-days-underarm smell which is overpowering from three paces.

Renato
    True, and the unwashed-for-four-days quick draw from 3 paces is only the beginning. It's the unwashed-for-four-months crowd that's lethal at 10 paces.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

Renato
    LOL!!! LOL!!! Great Idea!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Travtex View Post
    We're talking 'chemical pneumonitis' levels of corrosive fragrance clogging up the ole lungs. I flat-out TELL the guy what's what and the response is more of an irritated 'I can do what I want, what I wear is not any of your business, blah blah' response than concern for his own kid.

In light of THAT, it's pretty easy to see how these sorts of people don't give a damn about random strangers in the public venue if you can't get 'em to back off a bit to keep their own offspring from choking out.
    --------------------------------------
    "...narcissistic actions may have on the rest of us who enjoy in moderation..."

Oh, and by the way, THIS little bit of phrase covers a -lot- of ground outside the realm of fragrances. Primo point in general.
    I'm amazed that no one else is horrified/disgusted/outraged at this guys reaction on being told he has almost killed his own child.

I just keep thinking: what the f*ck has happened to the human race in the last fifty years?
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    I'm amazed that no one else is horrified/disgusted/outraged at this guys reaction on being told he has almost killed his own child.

I just keep thinking: what the f*ck has happened to the human race in the last fifty years?
    I know what you mean, but I also think people like that guy with his child have always been around, only now we have electronic media outlets to widely report incidents.

I was disgusted when I read the post, I just didn't post anything at the time.

(I love the quote you have in your signature, by the way)

Could anyone tell me what kind of places (and where) that are banning cologne and perfume? I'm from Chicago and I've never heard anything like this. So because something, anything (a scent, a word, etc,), offends a few people it should be banned? Or, it could work to your advantage, because a place that bans people from wearing scents is probally a place I would never want to be in.

I feel like I'm not in the loop on this one...what places have banned fragrances?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I feel like I'm not in the loop on this one...what places have banned fragrances?

TNMA
    Certain work places, particularly corporate offices, have banned them. Some restaurants have done it as well, but it's less common.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Certain work places, particularly corporate offices, have banned them. Some restaurants have done it as well, but it's less common.

This is the most bizarre thing I've heard in awhile...are there any articles to reference?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Thinking about fragrance bans...

I am sort of on the fence with this one.

On the one hand, I mostly enjoy the scents I detect others wearing. The key word there is 'detect'. On the other hand, when it becomes an 'assult', then I get pissed. And I am not just referring to some perfume that I happen not to like either. Nor am I talking about just a bit too much (subjective as hell, I know, I know) What gets my goat is the gross over-application of powerful sillage items, no matter whether nice or not. You can liken that to someone playing patently over loud (to you) music right next to you, so much so that it is difficult for you to hear normal conversation. Gross over application of high powered sillage can do that to your olfactory sense..in a sense.

I recall having been in a restaurant where a woman at a nearby table was wearing so much of something really nasty IMO (probably one of the imitations of a designer perfume but I couldn't place it) that about 1/3 of the 50 or so patrons became agitated over it for the next 40 minutes she was there. The nice German Auslese wine I was drinking took on some of the aroma and some of the taste (I would imagine) of the Godawrful Godzilla Sillage this woman was broadcasting to most of the restaurant. That was an unacceptable invasion of others' personal space and really something the management should have handled quietly and nicely, as the waitpersons, greeting staff and probably management all seemed to notice too, with rolling of eyes and muffled laughter to each other out of her hearing and view. If it were a radio or CD players someone was using inside the restaurant in a generally recognized too-loud manner, then I am positive they would have done something about it immediately.

OK, Perhaps she didn't realize, realized after application but too late to do anything about it before dinner, or just didn't give a damn about anyone else. Who knows...

Do I want government intervention? No. What I want is personal responsiblilty by the wearer or intervention by the private property owner to moderate things like that. On public land it is a different story. Much harder to enforce something of that nature and I am not sure it should be enforced there. It is far easer for the offended party to just up and leave.
    Of course, I want to win a big lottery drawing also..
    Last edited by kbe; 15th April 2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    This is the most bizarre thing I've heard in awhile...are there any articles to reference?

TNMA
    Type in "banning fragrance", "banning cologne", etc. in Google and you should come up with a lot of different sites regarding it. I know I read something in my local paper about it once.

It's pretty crazy, but almost makes sense in some cases. Like when you have people spraying themselves 8+ times with raunchy, primarily synthetic fragrances that really do give a lot of people migraines.

But I think, like someone else said, it should be handled on an individual basis. A general ban is ridiculous.

I'll take a tragic failure in an attempt at beauty over a cell phone call in a public place anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I recall having been in a restaurant where a woman at a nearby table was wearing so much of something really nasty IMO (probably one of the imitations of a designer perfume but I couldn't place it) that about 1/3 of the 50 or so patrons became agitated over it for the next 40 minutes she was there.
    I bet even if she was wearing a very high quality scent, people would have been just as annoyed.

I was in a ski lift line just the other week and someone in front of be had doused on waaaay too much Silver Mountain Water. We were on a freaking mountain and the wind was blowing, and it was STILL annoying. Normally I would have compliment that person's good taste, but it was clear that they were just trying to project an image and didn't care an ounce about the actual artistry of the fragrance (these people were the snooty fur-coat-wearing ski-because-i-want-to-be-seen-skiing types).

I say the problem is that people don't appreciate scents for the actual scent. People are not impressed when it's obvious that you're trying to use your scent for something.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I can remember the days of loading on Eternity and the fellas loading up Le Male and THEN entering the car to go out bar hopping. You want to talk about MIGRAINE!! lol

I mean it was an inside the car scent horror show...overpowering as hell. lol

I think to myself..how BAD has it gotten today that at a bar or a club with such HUGE square footage that they want to bann cologne in these premises! Man, if it's this bad how many people are loading up perfume and colognes? lol 4 out of 5 ?? 3 out of 5?

Funny, the younger guys today get the best of the best when it comes to a social gathering at a bar or club! No smoking! They passed that after I settled down and all and stopped club and bar hopping, I was jealous as hell! about 4 years or 5 after I was hopping it passed lol WE HAD to load up on cologne because we were fighting the clouds of ciggarette smoke in these places before the smoking ban.

Now as an outsider looking in I think once you've gotten rid of the smoking..the air is much, much, more cleaner in these establishments. NOW people really smell everything instead of a clouded atmosphere, hence they are sensitive to these perfumes and colognes. At least thats whats the deal in NY out on the island.

Shame though, thats why we should test these out before going out. Do NOT load up on scents and if you do...simple....put it on 2 to 4 hours before you go out..let it drydown and fade somewhat. Go outside in the elements and let the chemistry wear off a bit.

If all else fails....sweat! lol get that scent toned down.
    The search for the perfect cologne is like a composer searching for the ultimate note.

P.S. F' Imus...Stern is King!

I had a terrible embarrassment a couple of weeks ago when I tried some Rance Josephine in a shop, liked the top notes, sprayed some on...and then the drydown happened. It's loud, it absolutely doesn't work on me, it's got enormous sillage, and I felt terribly rude as I got on the tube (in rush hour, all pressed up to people!) and then a train to go home. The guy sitting next to me moved when there was some more room. I'm still wincing with shame and embarrassment just thinking about it.

Well so far in Bermuda this subject has not come up....the only problem I had was working once with a colleague who was allergic to scents..so I sprayed very lightly when I knew I had to work with her...

My nephew is 12 and I just found out that his teachers want to know what he is wearing EVERY DAY....Lol...His arsenal is huge as he has my 'give-aways' over the years...

Live Your Life,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 17th April 2007 at 07:01 PM.