Code of Conduct

Default Hi, just want to introduce myself and ask for a few suggestions

Hello,
    I just found basenotes about two weeks ago and I really love it. I'm 27 from Chicago and have had a fascination with cologne since junior high. I'm, of course, looking for that "perfect" scent(s) for me so I figured I would ask the experts.

I'm looking for something warm and exotic, but somewhat dark and mysterious (if that makes sense), so if anyone could give me any suggestions I would be grateful.

Here's my small but growing collection
    A*Men - I really like it
    Le Male - One of my favorites, though a bit too common
    D&G pour homme - Doesn't last on me, but a nice, classical scent
    L'eau D'Issey - Nice and clean but I swear it's longevity on my skin is 1 - 2 hours
    Silver Mountain Water - A blind buy that I'm waiting for, got a good deal on ebay
    Rive Guache - Another blind buy, still waiting

Default Re: Hi, just want to introduce myself and ask for a few suggestions

if L'eau D'issey and D&G get lousy longevity, I would say read some posts on olfactory fatigue.

Also, I remember one time (i made a post) I worse Platinum Egoiste and I smelled myself..couldn't detect anything. yet, and hour later (total of 9 hours after i applied) TWO people sitting about 4-6 feet from me asked if i was wearing cologne and said it smelt nice. i got closer and they said "yeah its you".

So...it's very odd how you can't smell it ON the skin, but form time to time catch whiffs of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Monkey View Post
    I'm looking for something warm and exotic, but somewhat dark and mysterious (if that makes sense), so if anyone could give me any suggestions I would be grateful.
    I offer you a warm, exotic, dark and mysterious welcome.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Monkey View Post
    I'll chime in & suggest Bvlgari Black. Welcome to basenotes!!!

Oh! Edited to add Musc Ravageur!
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 16th April 2007 at 01:31 AM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Basenotes Institution

Welcome

My recommendation: It's pricey, but its a Basenotes favorite and one of my favorite too: Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th April 2007 at 11:58 PM.

Welcome to basenotes!

I would like to add another Serge Lutens suggestion. Chergui sound just like what you are looking for. Something a little more mysterious would be Fumerie Turque. Both are by the same house and are pretty similar to each other and just what you are looking for, IMO.

Thanks for your help, I've got sample decants of all your recommendations on the way now. Thanks again.

I would second the suggestions of Ambre Sultana and Fumerie Turque, and commend you on your purchase of Silver Mountain Water...that is an incredible fragrance, though I would not classify it as warm and exotic, you will hopefully love it.

Bois du Portugal is another Creed that has an exotic note , at least to my nose. I love this one and Himalaya on my man these days.

You might give Antaeus by Chanel a sample at your local dept store...it is a very complex fragrance and may fit the bill for mysterious for you.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I offer you a warm, exotic, dark and mysterious welcome.....
    I enthusiastically second Idole. It's simply superb. Fumerie Turque and Ambre Sultan may also fit the bill, though they will be more expensive.

Others that meet the "warm and exotic, but also somewhat dark and mysterious" criteria include:

Noir Epices
    Mechant Loup
    Ungaro III
    Black Aoud
    Habanita (not just for the girls)
    Cuir Ottoman

Be sure to sample before splurging on anything, and good luck!

Hi, and Welcome!
    The folks above have great taste... aka mine.

Seriously, along with all those superb Lutens fragrances, maybe you might want something not quite so hard on the wallet. How about M7? To me, it fits that description, is utterly unique, intoxicating, and best of all, it's quite cheap now, with inconclusive rumblings that it might be discontinued. When wearing it, I've nearly been de-clothed by certain female individuals!! [try it first, it's strong]

Have fun here!
    Dave
    PS: a note of caution... I hope your Silver Mountain Water is excellent... but the fake Creeds and Chanels floating around are legion! Do some forum searches on "fake Creed" or the like.
    Last edited by Cognoscento; 18th April 2007 at 03:14 AM.