Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Trip to Aedes...fragrant heaven!

A friend and myself were fortunate enough to have an afternoon in NYC and hoofed it on down to Aedes in the West Village..our trip to the velvet draped haven became the highlight of our weekend.

Upon entrance, we both thought and said the same thing...we wanted whatever that bewitching fragrance was that was wafting in the air, but of course it is a melange of all the delightful scents that surrounded us.

I must say that the owners and creators of Aedes de Venustas, Robert and Karl were truly remarkable hosts, friendly, attentive and knowledgable, sharing suggestions and histories of specific fragrances. I gave Karl my top five list and he managed to find a scent that I have fallen in love with : Annick Goutal's Songes. Some of the notes are: ylang ylang, vanilla, sandalwood, frangipani, frankincense and jasmine. Karl slipped this in my sample bag and I discovered it that evening back at the hotel. He either has amazing intuition or he is a mind reader.

I have also found my official Holy Grail fragrance: Jalaine's Patchouli. It is opulent, divine, and earthy. I feel somehow transcendent wearing my sample of it, as if I should either be in the act of worship or being worshipped myself, while wearing it.

I also found a Creed frag for my man: Himalaya, with Bois du Portugal coming in at a close second for him. My friend fell HARD for Silver Mountain Water. We were at a conference and kept sniffing one another all day today! I wonder what those around us thought?

I highly recommend a visit to Aedes du Venustas. What a wonderful, wonderful experience.And when I mentioned basenotes, I felt as if we had an immediate common base which was really nice.
    Almost forgot, I also sampled People of the Labyrinth's Luctor et Emergo. This is an absolute must try for incense lovers. Very earthy, grounding and the drydown on me made me feel as if I were in a church.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Trip to Aedes...fragrant heaven!

So jealous!

My man got me my birthday gift from Aedes last year & the little booklet they mailed with the package showcased all of their fragrances so nicely I immediately wanted to fly up there & check it out. It's one of the few places where so many of my favorite fragrance houses are all under 1 roof.

Did you get a chance to sniff that 'exclusive' candle they have, with L'Artisan Parfumeur? Interested to hear your thoughts, if you did...

p.s. - I really wanted to like Songes when I spritzed it on me at Neimans about a month ago, but I kind of felt a little overwhelmed with the florals upon application and almost came close to scrubbing it...perhaps I should re-test. Was it the EDT that you sampled?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Wow, you found a holy grail. Praise be!

Yes, that "melange du boutique" needs to be bottled. There never seems to be a bad note in it. Thanks for sharing. (You didn't take pictures???)
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Sounds like you had a marvy time and I am trying very hard not to be envious. :bounce: Very hard.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Sounds like you had a marvy time and I am trying very hard not to be envious. :bounce: Very hard.
    well, come on up here, y'all! I mean, really! Come on up!

Mike , yes, it was the edt, maybe the edp is headier, all I know is that the edt is DIVINE and a gorgeous veil which is bringing to mind for me a mix of Samsara and Nirmala... the ylang ylang and jasmine really come forth in this.

Quarry, no pics, sorry, but it will not be the last time I go, next time I must remember to bring a camera.

And I must confess that I LAYERED the Songes with dabs of the Patchouli which is, as I mentioned, OPULENT and luxurious. The softness of Songes is a perfect backdrop for the richness of the Patchouly. There is a sweetness to this that makes it very velvety.
    I wish you all could have been there, I could see a handful of basenoters making a glorious day in the village there. Aedes had an intimate atmosphere, rich, but not intimidating. I really enjoyed myself.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Love Aedes! They understand how to make fragrance exploration relaxed and fun. Karl is great to talk with and so nice. It's been awhile since I've been there. I didn't know they carried POTL. I've been curious about that one. I'm also eager to try the Escentric Molecules line. Enjoyed reading your report.

Great report! Also very curious about the Escentric Molecules line. Might be time for a visit...
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Aedes is the best customer service in town! and it 's so nicer to be shopping downtown than in the upper east side at big crowded department stores.
    have you tested Rousse by Serge Lutens? I bought a bottle of it last week, I m so crazy about it, it 's really one of the best Lutens, a revelation for me.
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by pierre obsidienne View Post
    Aedes is the best customer service in town! and it 's so nicer to be shopping downtown than in the upper east side at big crowded department stores.
    have you tested Rousse by Serge Lutens? I bought a bottle of it last week, I m so crazy about it, it 's really one of the best Lutens, a revelation for me.
    Karl gave me some Lutens testers, the one I am wearing today is Cedre, " a woody musk with tuberose..." and I am really enjoying it. It has an incense like drydown, the tuberose seems to be primarily in the topnote for me. For me, it fits in the same family as Feminite du Bois and Ambre Sultan but rather more understated. I have a sample of Rousse from a fellow basenoter, and have only given it a brief taste. Nearly all of the Serge Lutens line resonates with me...isn't it wonderful to find a fragrance you can be crazy about?
    love, love, love, love....

did not specifically sniff any candles...I was reflecting today how I need to go back there soon and be very leisurely .... such a wide array. They definitely have more of a selection than is represented on the website. More Creeds, more Serge Lutens.

I definitely definitely want to go back to Aedes! Such a beautiful store. And it's so intimate, and jam-packed full so much stuff. I could easily spend an entire year's salary in there...

Jealous! That sounds just wonderful - and how brilliant with the samples!

Thanks for the note on Luctor et Emergo. I'm *extremely* intrigued...

What a fabulous experience, and friends like you make getting married much more enjoyable and fun!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I adore your descriptions. Next time do take your camera. I love hearing about fragrance travel experiences.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre obsidienne View Post
    Yay! I bought a bottle of that today for my husband (though I think we'll be fighting over it!). Isn't it gorgeous?
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Aedes is to me a frangrance paradise-a phenomen!!!!!. I have to concur with the previous poster...Their customer service is OUTSTANDING and almost unmatched. I have never been there and not had an uplifting, memorable experience.

No trip is complete to the Big Apple for any fragrance connoisseur, aficionado, appreciator, enthusiast. You just gotta go...you won't be disappointed.

Live Your Life

Otto

Aedes is now on my list of places for my next visit to the Big Apple!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Thanks a lot! it seems like a wonderful place...

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    Karl gave me some Lutens testers, the one I am wearing today is Cedre, " a woody musk with tuberose..." and I am really enjoying it. It has an incense like drydown, the tuberose seems to be primarily in the topnote for me. For me, it fits in the same family as Feminite du Bois and Ambre Sultan but rather more understated. I have a sample of Rousse from a fellow basenoter, and have only given it a brief taste. Nearly all of the Serge Lutens line resonates with me...isn't it wonderful to find a fragrance you can be crazy about?
    love, love, love, love....

did not specifically sniff any candles...I was reflecting today how I need to go back there soon and be very leisurely .... such a wide array. They definitely have more of a selection than is represented on the website. More Creeds, more Serge Lutens.
    I love Cedre, more gourmand and creamier than Rousse, its tuberose is "solar", very different tuberose than Tubereuse Criminelle (enigmatic, lethal).
    Rousse is closer to Feminite du Bois wich I love, Rousse is cinnamon but FdB clove - I find Rousse maybe a little bit richer, just a tiny bit sweeter in the drydown with amber and vanilla.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    Yay! I bought a bottle of that today for my husband (though I think we'll be fighting over it!). Isn't it gorgeous?
    european men! lol
    my boyfriend only wears Cool Water (created by Bourdon who also did Feminite du Bois) and rarely! I bought him Terre d 'Hermes but it was too strong for him.
    it s great you can fight over it because it means you can share your experiences and impressions and discuss it, thats the fun of it, I really cannot do that with an italian-american lol
    anyways thats the great thing about Serge Lutens line, so many scents of his are so borderline, it gives a chance for women to wear scents that are not overtly feminine or girly, and men scents that have more depth than traditional macho-after shaves.
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 18th April 2007 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

This post seals the deal for me. I'm in NYC for a few days next week and I'll add Aedes to the list along with, Le Labo, L'Artisan, Caron, Barney's, Bond...

BTW I always travel with a camera or two.
    Last edited by Sloan; 18th April 2007 at 04:36 AM.

What a fabulous description! Must add Aedes to my list of "must visits" in New York, and I'm now trying to figure out how I can finagle a trip down to NYC and go luxuriate/sniff myself silly while resisting the temptation to max out my credit card...

Yes, sloan_8013, please do take pics of your upcoming scent-tour, and have fun! We expect a full report, including swoons over your samples and purchases.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    This post seals the deal for me. I'm in NYC for a few days next week and I'll add Aedes to the list along with, Le Labo, L'Artisan, Caron, Barney's, Bond...

BTW I always travel with a camera or two.
    Please give us your experience and feedback after your visit.

Peace,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    Please give us your experience and feedback after your visit.

Peace,

Otto
    Just a quick update. I'll chronicle my testing and shopping adventures in my Basenotes blog. I also have a handful of photos from Le Labo and Aedes in my flickr folder and I'll post a link to those folders in the blog entries.