Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Tom Ford Private Blends new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

Has any New York Basenote members ventured over to Madison Avenue, to the new Tom Ford store and sniffed any of the 12 new Tom Ford Private Blends scents yet?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th January 2008 at 02:18 PM.

Default Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

When did they come out?

Live Your Life?

Otto

Basenotes Institution

His store opened up Thursday (last week) and all 12 of them can be sniffed/purchased only at the store

Well, purchase...perhaps but I should be receiving my samples any day from:

http://fragrantfripperies.com/store/index.html

This must have flew below Now Smell This Radar..they usually are on top of what is newly released.....

Live Your Life,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    His store opened up Thursday (last week) and all 12 of them can be sniffed/purchased only at the store

Basenotes Institution

Yeah I ordered samples too but I'm dying to hear from some Basenoters who've already sniffed 'em...

Thumbs up Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

I am heading up to the Madison Avenue shop this afternoon - a full report to follow.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I am heading up to the Madison Avenue shop this afternoon - a full report to follow.
    Cool. The Tom Ford fan club members are waiting.

FYI: it's only open to the public (without an appointment) from 11am - 5pm. The perfume section is supposed to be this whole octagonal marble and mercury mirrored room. The whole 3 story store is 8,300 square feet... Don't get lost Ruggles.

Cool guy....can't wait for you report.

Live Your Life,

Otto

I really want to try Purple Patchouli. I just love the sound of it.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

I would rather roll around butt naked in rutting deer urine than wear anything this pompous freak created.
    ... But I have some issues with TF, so, don't mind me.

Quote Originally Posted by sinij chas View Post
    I would rather roll around butt naked in rutting deer urine than wear anything this pompous freak created.
    ... But I have some issues with TF, so, don't mind me.

Last edited by Otto; 16th April 2007 at 11:58 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

I sampled all 12 of them on scent strips at Bergdorf Goodman yesterday.
    I have a sample of the leather chypre Tuscan Leather and all I can say is this: it is pretty good. Its longevity is average 3-4 hours, it stays close to the skin, it doesn't scream leather and, to me, it smells more like tobacco/ash than leather. It has a slight hint of raspberry, which is really well done. The concept of re-imagining an abstract leather is a cool idea - very Lutens ala Daim Blond. The SA told me, so far, Tuscan Leather is one of the slower sellers, but is her personal favorite. She has a good nose!
    I feel there is more than just a nod to Serge Lutens in the Tom Ford Private Collection. The names alone are so Lutenesque: Bois Rouge, Noir de Noir, Amber Absolute and Tobacco Vanille.
    The general mood is slightly goth and insence seems to be the part of the Ford-ade signature.
    Speaking of, I sprayed Tobacco Vanille on my left arm, tobacco is one of my favorite notes, my initial response was that it is one of the most nauseating gourmands that I've ever come into contact with! I find its implication, that one is eating tobacco, quite repulsive. This morning it turned into a rather anonymous sweet vanilla scent. So, yes, the longevity on that one is outstanding.
    On my way out of the store, by impulse, I stopped at the Caron counter and the lovely SA obliged my request for a tester square to be drenched in Tabac Blond perfume. It sits in front of me now and as I smell it, all I can think to myself is, Tom Ford, eat your heart out.
    I will be back to sample the others with more depth, but my initial impression is that, perhaps Mr. Ford has tried to do too much, too soon.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th April 2007 at 01:39 PM.

I sampled all 12 of them on scent strips at Bergdorf Goodman yesterday.
    I have a sample of the leather chypre Tuscan Leather and all I can say is this: it is pretty good. Its longevity is average 3-4 hours, it stays close to the skin, it doesn't scream leather and, to me, it smells more like tobacco/ash than leather. It has a slight hint of raspberry, which is really well done. The concept of re-imagining an abstract leather is a cool idea - very Lutens ala Daim Blond. The SA told me, so far, Tuscan Leather is one of the slower sellers, but is her personal favorite. She has a good nose!
    I feel there is more than just a nod to Serge Lutens in the Tom Ford Private Collection. The names alone are so Lutenesque: Bois Rouge, Noir de Noir, Amber Absolute and Tobacco Vanille.
    The general mood is slightly goth and insence seems to be the part of the Ford-ade signature.
    Speaking of, I sprayed Tobacco Vanille on my left arm, tobacco is one of my favorite notes, my initial response was that it is one of the most nauseating gourmands that I've ever come into contact with! I find its implication, that one is eating tobacco, quite repulsive. This morning it turned into a rather anonymous sweet vanilla scent. So, yes, the longevity on that one is outstanding.
    On my way out of the store, by impulse, I stopped at the Caron counter and the lovely SA obliged my request for a tester square to be drenched in Tabac Blond perfume. It sits in front of me now and as I smell it, all I can think to myself is, Tom Ford, eat your heart out.
    I will be back to sample the others with more depth, but my initial impression is that, perhaps Mr. Ford has tried to do too much, too soon.

Thanks for that Ruggles...I will be in the city in just over a month..I will check them out at that time.

Live Your Life,

Otto

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Ruggles - I also found out yesterday that Bergdorf had the scents too.

I thought the same thing when I saw the scent names, a Serge Lutens-iness to them.

However, the twelve scents all being released at once was I think more of a 'statement' for Mr. Ford to make rather than a belief that he was releasing 12 fragrance masterpieces. Its a very in-your-face statement, but then what would you expect from Tom Ford (the man, the myth...)

It also does not surprise me in the least that there's lots of incense goin' on, in these scents. Nu (the very first scent he did, at his YSL tenure) had that cold metallic incense note, then Rush did too, then M7 did...I was actually surprised that Black Orchid didn't have incense in it. (Ms. Lauder to Tom: TOM!! NO incense!!)

If even two of these 12 stand out, I will be very happy. Perhaps one I will fall deep in love with. I can hope.

Two more cents about two more scents. Neroli Portofino sticks out in my mind as the least interesting of the 12 - enough with the neroli scents already! - and Amber Absolute could very well be a Comme des Garçons creation.

Basenotes Institution

Neroli Portofino sounds like a condominium complex

Wink Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Neroli Portofino sounds like a condominium complex
    That's funny.

what about ÓUD WOOD' any sniff?

Smile Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

Got some decants from Fragrant Frapperies of nine of the Tom Ford Prive series. Here are my very unprofessional thoughts on these that I sampled. I was impressed with all for their quality ingredients, and fragrance development. This is what I thought about them.

1) AMBER ABSOLUTE - warm dry amber with hint of vanilla and frankencense. Not sweeet or cloying. Very solid for an amber fragrance. This will be a favorite for many people. I don't like amber fragrances and . . . I liked this one quite a bit.

2) OUD WOOD - has a light watery aoud note. Oud plus iris, some floral notes and light wood drydown. No Montale Aoud darkness here, this one is very light and oceanic.

3) TUSCAN LEATHER - Light floral notes dust the opening of a very pure leather scent. Mid notes smell like freshly cut new harness leather. The drydown seems to elevate the fragrance with a light wood note. This is a very clean leather note with none of the exotic sweetness of cuir maresque, nor animalic notes of cuir arabie, no ultra softness of cuir ottomans, or daim blonde. The drydown adds mild tobacco to the leather. The first pure medium leather scent I have sampled. Excellent!!

4) NOIR NOIR - Rose oud similar to the montale Damascus Aoud. A very nice rose with saffron and incense notes supporting a very pure rose. Very nice for a pure rose.

5) JAPAN NOIR - intoxicating. Hinoki wood or bamboo wood, yuzu, pepper, hint of exotic flower and ginger. Upon drying smells similar to CdG Kyoto but spicier like Tikmbuktu but with more japanese incense. Many will like this one.

6) MOSSES BRECHES - bergamot and citrus opening with a dark green oak moss drydown plus an undercurrant of animalic musk. Very green and earthy - similar to Bois d' Ombrie from Eau d' Italie but with a musky animalic bottom note. Also similar to Bois de Encens from Armani, however is not as complete and finished as either of these scents.

7) PURPLE PATHCOULLI - Jasmine patchouli, then a little iris, + a light floral. Smells like a light japanese incense to me - What was he thinking?

8) TOBACCO VANILLE - light tobacco, hay notes color the warm wood and vanilla finish with a touch of beeswax essence? Almost a foody scent. Warm and very nice. I like this one a lot - very unique. Not as sweet as Fumerie Turque, but in the same species of scent. One of my favorites of this series.

9) BOIS ROUGE - Pepper, rose, cinnamon is very uplifting Drydown is a wood scent that reminds me of pencil shavings. Wam and simple like an old world barbershop scent.

Did not try the last three of the series. These were all quite good, but not nearly what I expected considering the success Tom Ford had with Gucci Pour Homme and Rive Gauche. My personal favorites of those I tested were Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille - they both were bottle worthy for me. The Amber Absolute and Noir Noir were also very well done, but similar to other things on the market. The Japan Noir was quite different, and I need to give it another test before I can pass a judgement on it.

What is great about the new is that it opens our mind to experience the NEW. Many of these were not really new though. Some were very nice variations of very good fragrances that are already on the market - derivative. But others offer some really very inventive and fresh fragrance designs. I wonder if too much was attempted too fast?

Enjoy.

thanks alot Buzzlepuff for that great review, I didn't recive my samples yet...can't wait to sniff those!!

I wonder if any of Tom's blend is wearable enough for morning working environment???

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tariq View Post
    thanks alot Buzzlepuff for that great review, I didn't recive my samples yet...can't wait to sniff those!!

I wonder if any of Tom's blend is wearable enough for morning working environment???
    I wore 2 this week to the office (Japan Noir and Velvet Gardenia) and even though they're kind of deep, dark scents the sillage is not too 'Black Orchid'-ish to push it over the limits of 'morning working environment'.

However, having said that, I feel impossibly underdressed wearing these frags. They almost make me feel like I need to polish my shoes, when I apply them. Very luxurious scents.

I tried Moss Breeches and I think it's very office-wearable. But it is a different, green chypre with a warm spicy drydown. It's unusual but because it wears close to the skin, it's not going to put anyone off. I really liked it. I think it would work better on men than on women, but I'd wear it every day if someone happened to give me a bottle.

thanks mike & elf for sharing your experince, well from Buzzlepuff description I think OUD WOOD might be wearable enough for 'morning working environment'.???
    Last edited by tariq; 2nd May 2007 at 09:20 PM.

Basenotes Institution

So, this week I tried 3 of them: Bois Rouge, Japan Noir and Velvet Gardenia

Quick thoughts:

Not any of these 3 'jumped out' at me. However all three were pretty luxurious (quality notes, perfect sillage, average longevity) - I felt like I was wearing something formal and a scent that the creator took very seriously. These scents dont flutter around and hide - they make their presence known.

Bois Rouge impressed me the most in its luxurious cedar and soft woods. Reminded me (too much) of Gucci Pour Homme, another Tom Ford scent (coincidence?). Although instead of just being 'full on' pencil shavings, it was a lot softer and complex spiciness. Longevity seemed medium, I guess I expected it to last longer.

VG is a potent gardenia scent - I didn't get the 'blue cheese' notes that other people have mentioned. Just a very full-on gardenia smell, that I was glad did NOT turn powdery. Just rich, thick gardenia notes - wet almost in their smell. My partner kind of hates gardenia scents on me, so I can't imagine this FBW for me.

JN - you can read my review in the BN directory. The operative word (for me) is: smoke. Lot's of it.

I will sample the rest of the TF samples (9 more left to try) as the month progresses - but initially I must admit these 3 (selected randomly) are not 'pushing my buttons'.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    3) TUSCAN LEATHER - Light floral notes dust the opening of a very pure leather scent. Mid notes smell like freshly cut new harness leather. The drydown seems to elevate the fragrance with a light wood note. This is a very clean leather note with none of the exotic sweetness of cuir maresque, nor animalic notes of cuir arabie, no ultra softness of cuir ottomans, or daim blonde. The drydown adds mild tobacco to the leather. The first pure medium leather scent I have sampled. Excellent!!
    Thanks so much for all the reviews, very much appreciated -- the Tusdan Leather sounds utterly divine.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Basenotes Institution

Spent this week sampling two of the Tom Fords: Amber Absolute and Tobacco Vanille.

Amber Absolute: Reminded me a LOT of Amber Sultan by Serge Lutens - minus some of those spices in the top notes...just a linear amber scent that was comforting and really clean (some amber can be quite 'dirty' smelling...AA is clean amber IMO). Perhaps its this 'clean amber' smell that pushed Ruggles to note in the thread above it could've been created by Comme de Garcons - the CdG scents have some coldness to them, that is at the very edges of AA. The drydown incense note smells like a dusty church - again a CdG reference to Avignon. But only if you smell your skin really close - it is by no means an incense scent. I own (and love) AS, so purchasing AA is not an option for me. Slightly underwhelmed. Mind you - if I had never smelled AS before, perhaps AA would've swept me off my feet.

Tobacco Vanille: Definitely the first FAVORITE in the five Tom Fords I've tried - I could own this. I would have to buy a smoking jacket and perhaps a new Rolex watch to pull off this scent perfectly - it is hyper masculine in that Tom Ford way (Rive Gauche Homme / M7 / Gucci Pour Homme). The opening is a really luxurious pipe tobacco that smells like vanilla. Yes its sweet but somehow, for me, the tobacco takes the edge off of the sweetness perfectly. Spiciness is perfect (ginger? gingerbread?) Lasts for about 10 hours on my skin. Above average sillage. I felt like a million bucks applying this when I left my gym...One more thing: the drydown is a little playdoh-ish. Not too annoying, like that playdoh powerhouse a.k.a. Luctor et Emergo. But still playdoh. It kind of snuck up on me, actually like a vanilla playdoh note - but with a little dried fruit (prune?) note too. Fans of Ambre Narguile by Hermes (or Furmerie Turque for that matter) should definitely try Tobacco Vanille.

Five down, seven to go!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th May 2007 at 11:18 PM.

thanks mike for that great description, I can feel the aroma of Tobacco Vanille running through my nose from your words.. can't wait for the other 7
    Last edited by tariq; 14th May 2007 at 05:15 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Sampled Black Violet and Moss Breches this week.

Black Violet:

If you've been following some of my latest posts, you will have noticed I went a little CRAZY over Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe (tested it during Ava Luxe Week). Blew me away - a lovely 'dirty violet' scent akin to Voleur de Roses but for violets. Therefore, I approached Black Violet with a little skepticism - would Tom be able to compare to MV? After testing BV, um...no.

BV starts out grape-y and plum-y. For a few seconds in the top notes I got that Grape Bubble-Yum note from Gaultier2, but then it quickly disappeared to be replaced by the very decadent (but dark) fruitiness.

The mid and drydown started to smell very familiar...and then I realized what it it was: Black Orchid (the other Tom Ford cologne that came out BEFORE the 12 Private Blends) shares that same dark fruitiness. Except this doesn't get earthy/funky like Black Orchid, it just stays dark, fruit, and violets. Sillage was perfect, however longevity was shorter than I would've liked (mind you, Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe lasts and lasts...)

Black Violet is an 'interesting' men's scent - I think it's above average. Let's face it...men shopping at the new Tom Ford store who happen upon the fragrance counter probably will not be drawn towards the one scent with 'Violet' in its name. I think it's very edgy to come up with a dark, violet scent for men. I just think Mr. Ford is a little too late...Ava Luxe beat him to it.

Moss Breches:

Before I got the 12 Tom Ford samples, I heard good things (from bloggers) about Moss Breches, Oud Wood and Tuscan Leather. I had not gotten to either of the 3 until this week, when I wore MB.

Moss? I always think of Mitsouko when I think of a 'mossy' fragrance...to me, THAT'S what moss smells like. How wrong I was...this smells NOTHING like Mitsouko. In fact, of all seven Tom Ford's that I've tried, this one is the LEAST luxurious of them all. Very casual IMO. Earthy. Herbal (is that sage? Maybe this is that what moss, torn from a tree, smells like?). Sillage was kind of OK on me, nothing spectacular. In about a couple of hours on my skin - it was gone. For a few seconds between the top notes and middle notes, it felt like I was laying on the bottom of a forest...airy, dirt(y), petrified tree bark. Fans of Vetiver Extraordinaire and/or all of you Basenoters who were whining about how 'vetiver aint what it used to be'...will like MB.

However, I enjoy this same sensation from my lovely bottle of Terre D'Hermes...thank you very much Jean Claude Ellena. I'll pass on a full bottle of this.

p.s. -- When I read the name Moss Breches I always want to pronounce it 'moss britches'.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st May 2007 at 01:07 AM.

thanks again mike for your beautieful aromatic reviews, I want to sniff Black Violet now.. it sounds like the mascuilan version of Black Orchide.

I can't wait to read your review on OUD WOOD ...