Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Tom Ford Private Blends new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

Has any New York Basenote members ventured over to Madison Avenue, to the new Tom Ford store and sniffed any of the 12 new Tom Ford Private Blends scents yet?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th January 2008 at 02:18 PM.

Default Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

When did they come out?

Live Your Life?

Otto

Basenotes Institution

His store opened up Thursday (last week) and all 12 of them can be sniffed/purchased only at the store

Well, purchase...perhaps but I should be receiving my samples any day from:

http://fragrantfripperies.com/store/index.html

This must have flew below Now Smell This Radar..they usually are on top of what is newly released.....

Live Your Life,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    His store opened up Thursday (last week) and all 12 of them can be sniffed/purchased only at the store

Basenotes Institution

Yeah I ordered samples too but I'm dying to hear from some Basenoters who've already sniffed 'em...

Thumbs up Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

I am heading up to the Madison Avenue shop this afternoon - a full report to follow.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I am heading up to the Madison Avenue shop this afternoon - a full report to follow.
    Cool. The Tom Ford fan club members are waiting.

FYI: it's only open to the public (without an appointment) from 11am - 5pm. The perfume section is supposed to be this whole octagonal marble and mercury mirrored room. The whole 3 story store is 8,300 square feet... Don't get lost Ruggles.

Cool guy....can't wait for you report.

Live Your Life,

Otto

I really want to try Purple Patchouli. I just love the sound of it.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

I would rather roll around butt naked in rutting deer urine than wear anything this pompous freak created.
    ... But I have some issues with TF, so, don't mind me.

Quote Originally Posted by sinij chas View Post
    I would rather roll around butt naked in rutting deer urine than wear anything this pompous freak created.
    ... But I have some issues with TF, so, don't mind me.

Last edited by Otto; 16th April 2007 at 11:58 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

I sampled all 12 of them on scent strips at Bergdorf Goodman yesterday.
    I have a sample of the leather chypre Tuscan Leather and all I can say is this: it is pretty good. Its longevity is average 3-4 hours, it stays close to the skin, it doesn't scream leather and, to me, it smells more like tobacco/ash than leather. It has a slight hint of raspberry, which is really well done. The concept of re-imagining an abstract leather is a cool idea - very Lutens ala Daim Blond. The SA told me, so far, Tuscan Leather is one of the slower sellers, but is her personal favorite. She has a good nose!
    I feel there is more than just a nod to Serge Lutens in the Tom Ford Private Collection. The names alone are so Lutenesque: Bois Rouge, Noir de Noir, Amber Absolute and Tobacco Vanille.
    The general mood is slightly goth and insence seems to be the part of the Ford-ade signature.
    Speaking of, I sprayed Tobacco Vanille on my left arm, tobacco is one of my favorite notes, my initial response was that it is one of the most nauseating gourmands that I've ever come into contact with! I find its implication, that one is eating tobacco, quite repulsive. This morning it turned into a rather anonymous sweet vanilla scent. So, yes, the longevity on that one is outstanding.
    On my way out of the store, by impulse, I stopped at the Caron counter and the lovely SA obliged my request for a tester square to be drenched in Tabac Blond perfume. It sits in front of me now and as I smell it, all I can think to myself is, Tom Ford, eat your heart out.
    I will be back to sample the others with more depth, but my initial impression is that, perhaps Mr. Ford has tried to do too much, too soon.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th April 2007 at 01:39 PM.

I sampled all 12 of them on scent strips at Bergdorf Goodman yesterday.
    I have a sample of the leather chypre Tuscan Leather and all I can say is this: it is pretty good. Its longevity is average 3-4 hours, it stays close to the skin, it doesn't scream leather and, to me, it smells more like tobacco/ash than leather. It has a slight hint of raspberry, which is really well done. The concept of re-imagining an abstract leather is a cool idea - very Lutens ala Daim Blond. The SA told me, so far, Tuscan Leather is one of the slower sellers, but is her personal favorite. She has a good nose!
    I feel there is more than just a nod to Serge Lutens in the Tom Ford Private Collection. The names alone are so Lutenesque: Bois Rouge, Noir de Noir, Amber Absolute and Tobacco Vanille.
    The general mood is slightly goth and insence seems to be the part of the Ford-ade signature.
    Speaking of, I sprayed Tobacco Vanille on my left arm, tobacco is one of my favorite notes, my initial response was that it is one of the most nauseating gourmands that I've ever come into contact with! I find its implication, that one is eating tobacco, quite repulsive. This morning it turned into a rather anonymous sweet vanilla scent. So, yes, the longevity on that one is outstanding.
    On my way out of the store, by impulse, I stopped at the Caron counter and the lovely SA obliged my request for a tester square to be drenched in Tabac Blond perfume. It sits in front of me now and as I smell it, all I can think to myself is, Tom Ford, eat your heart out.
    I will be back to sample the others with more depth, but my initial impression is that, perhaps Mr. Ford has tried to do too much, too soon.

Thanks for that Ruggles...I will be in the city in just over a month..I will check them out at that time.

Live Your Life,

Otto

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Ruggles - I also found out yesterday that Bergdorf had the scents too.

I thought the same thing when I saw the scent names, a Serge Lutens-iness to them.

However, the twelve scents all being released at once was I think more of a 'statement' for Mr. Ford to make rather than a belief that he was releasing 12 fragrance masterpieces. Its a very in-your-face statement, but then what would you expect from Tom Ford (the man, the myth...)

It also does not surprise me in the least that there's lots of incense goin' on, in these scents. Nu (the very first scent he did, at his YSL tenure) had that cold metallic incense note, then Rush did too, then M7 did...I was actually surprised that Black Orchid didn't have incense in it. (Ms. Lauder to Tom: TOM!! NO incense!!)

If even two of these 12 stand out, I will be very happy. Perhaps one I will fall deep in love with. I can hope.

Two more cents about two more scents. Neroli Portofino sticks out in my mind as the least interesting of the 12 - enough with the neroli scents already! - and Amber Absolute could very well be a Comme des Garçons creation.

Basenotes Institution

Neroli Portofino sounds like a condominium complex

Wink Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

Neroli Portofino sounds like a condominium complex
    That's funny.

what about ÓUD WOOD' any sniff?

Smile Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

Got some decants from Fragrant Frapperies of nine of the Tom Ford Prive series. Here are my very unprofessional thoughts on these that I sampled. I was impressed with all for their quality ingredients, and fragrance development. This is what I thought about them.

1) AMBER ABSOLUTE - warm dry amber with hint of vanilla and frankencense. Not sweeet or cloying. Very solid for an amber fragrance. This will be a favorite for many people. I don't like amber fragrances and . . . I liked this one quite a bit.

2) OUD WOOD - has a light watery aoud note. Oud plus iris, some floral notes and light wood drydown. No Montale Aoud darkness here, this one is very light and oceanic.

3) TUSCAN LEATHER - Light floral notes dust the opening of a very pure leather scent. Mid notes smell like freshly cut new harness leather. The drydown seems to elevate the fragrance with a light wood note. This is a very clean leather note with none of the exotic sweetness of cuir maresque, nor animalic notes of cuir arabie, no ultra softness of cuir ottomans, or daim blonde. The drydown adds mild tobacco to the leather. The first pure medium leather scent I have sampled. Excellent!!

4) NOIR NOIR - Rose oud similar to the montale Damascus Aoud. A very nice rose with saffron and incense notes supporting a very pure rose. Very nice for a pure rose.

5) JAPAN NOIR - intoxicating. Hinoki wood or bamboo wood, yuzu, pepper, hint of exotic flower and ginger. Upon drying smells similar to CdG Kyoto but spicier like Tikmbuktu but with more japanese incense. Many will like this one.

6) MOSSES BRECHES - bergamot and citrus opening with a dark green oak moss drydown plus an undercurrant of animalic musk. Very green and earthy - similar to Bois d' Ombrie from Eau d' Italie but with a musky animalic bottom note. Also similar to Bois de Encens from Armani, however is not as complete and finished as either of these scents.

7) PURPLE PATHCOULLI - Jasmine patchouli, then a little iris, + a light floral. Smells like a light japanese incense to me - What was he thinking?

8) TOBACCO VANILLE - light tobacco, hay notes color the warm wood and vanilla finish with a touch of beeswax essence? Almost a foody scent. Warm and very nice. I like this one a lot - very unique. Not as sweet as Fumerie Turque, but in the same species of scent. One of my favorites of this series.

9) BOIS ROUGE - Pepper, rose, cinnamon is very uplifting Drydown is a wood scent that reminds me of pencil shavings. Wam and simple like an old world barbershop scent.

Did not try the last three of the series. These were all quite good, but not nearly what I expected considering the success Tom Ford had with Gucci Pour Homme and Rive Gauche. My personal favorites of those I tested were Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille - they both were bottle worthy for me. The Amber Absolute and Noir Noir were also very well done, but similar to other things on the market. The Japan Noir was quite different, and I need to give it another test before I can pass a judgement on it.

What is great about the new is that it opens our mind to experience the NEW. Many of these were not really new though. Some were very nice variations of very good fragrances that are already on the market - derivative. But others offer some really very inventive and fresh fragrance designs. I wonder if too much was attempted too fast?

Enjoy.

thanks alot Buzzlepuff for that great review, I didn't recive my samples yet...can't wait to sniff those!!

I wonder if any of Tom's blend is wearable enough for morning working environment???

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tariq View Post
    thanks alot Buzzlepuff for that great review, I didn't recive my samples yet...can't wait to sniff those!!

I wonder if any of Tom's blend is wearable enough for morning working environment???
    I wore 2 this week to the office (Japan Noir and Velvet Gardenia) and even though they're kind of deep, dark scents the sillage is not too 'Black Orchid'-ish to push it over the limits of 'morning working environment'.

However, having said that, I feel impossibly underdressed wearing these frags. They almost make me feel like I need to polish my shoes, when I apply them. Very luxurious scents.

I tried Moss Breeches and I think it's very office-wearable. But it is a different, green chypre with a warm spicy drydown. It's unusual but because it wears close to the skin, it's not going to put anyone off. I really liked it. I think it would work better on men than on women, but I'd wear it every day if someone happened to give me a bottle.

thanks mike & elf for sharing your experince, well from Buzzlepuff description I think OUD WOOD might be wearable enough for 'morning working environment'.???
    Last edited by tariq; 2nd May 2007 at 09:20 PM.

Basenotes Institution

So, this week I tried 3 of them: Bois Rouge, Japan Noir and Velvet Gardenia

Quick thoughts:

Not any of these 3 'jumped out' at me. However all three were pretty luxurious (quality notes, perfect sillage, average longevity) - I felt like I was wearing something formal and a scent that the creator took very seriously. These scents dont flutter around and hide - they make their presence known.

Bois Rouge impressed me the most in its luxurious cedar and soft woods. Reminded me (too much) of Gucci Pour Homme, another Tom Ford scent (coincidence?). Although instead of just being 'full on' pencil shavings, it was a lot softer and complex spiciness. Longevity seemed medium, I guess I expected it to last longer.

VG is a potent gardenia scent - I didn't get the 'blue cheese' notes that other people have mentioned. Just a very full-on gardenia smell, that I was glad did NOT turn powdery. Just rich, thick gardenia notes - wet almost in their smell. My partner kind of hates gardenia scents on me, so I can't imagine this FBW for me.

JN - you can read my review in the BN directory. The operative word (for me) is: smoke. Lot's of it.

I will sample the rest of the TF samples (9 more left to try) as the month progresses - but initially I must admit these 3 (selected randomly) are not 'pushing my buttons'.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    3) TUSCAN LEATHER - Light floral notes dust the opening of a very pure leather scent. Mid notes smell like freshly cut new harness leather. The drydown seems to elevate the fragrance with a light wood note. This is a very clean leather note with none of the exotic sweetness of cuir maresque, nor animalic notes of cuir arabie, no ultra softness of cuir ottomans, or daim blonde. The drydown adds mild tobacco to the leather. The first pure medium leather scent I have sampled. Excellent!!
    Thanks so much for all the reviews, very much appreciated -- the Tusdan Leather sounds utterly divine.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Basenotes Institution

Spent this week sampling two of the Tom Fords: Amber Absolute and Tobacco Vanille.

Amber Absolute: Reminded me a LOT of Amber Sultan by Serge Lutens - minus some of those spices in the top notes...just a linear amber scent that was comforting and really clean (some amber can be quite 'dirty' smelling...AA is clean amber IMO). Perhaps its this 'clean amber' smell that pushed Ruggles to note in the thread above it could've been created by Comme de Garcons - the CdG scents have some coldness to them, that is at the very edges of AA. The drydown incense note smells like a dusty church - again a CdG reference to Avignon. But only if you smell your skin really close - it is by no means an incense scent. I own (and love) AS, so purchasing AA is not an option for me. Slightly underwhelmed. Mind you - if I had never smelled AS before, perhaps AA would've swept me off my feet.

Tobacco Vanille: Definitely the first FAVORITE in the five Tom Fords I've tried - I could own this. I would have to buy a smoking jacket and perhaps a new Rolex watch to pull off this scent perfectly - it is hyper masculine in that Tom Ford way (Rive Gauche Homme / M7 / Gucci Pour Homme). The opening is a really luxurious pipe tobacco that smells like vanilla. Yes its sweet but somehow, for me, the tobacco takes the edge off of the sweetness perfectly. Spiciness is perfect (ginger? gingerbread?) Lasts for about 10 hours on my skin. Above average sillage. I felt like a million bucks applying this when I left my gym...One more thing: the drydown is a little playdoh-ish. Not too annoying, like that playdoh powerhouse a.k.a. Luctor et Emergo. But still playdoh. It kind of snuck up on me, actually like a vanilla playdoh note - but with a little dried fruit (prune?) note too. Fans of Ambre Narguile by Hermes (or Furmerie Turque for that matter) should definitely try Tobacco Vanille.

Five down, seven to go!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th May 2007 at 11:18 PM.

thanks mike for that great description, I can feel the aroma of Tobacco Vanille running through my nose from your words.. can't wait for the other 7
    Last edited by tariq; 14th May 2007 at 05:15 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Sampled Black Violet and Moss Breches this week.

Black Violet:

If you've been following some of my latest posts, you will have noticed I went a little CRAZY over Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe (tested it during Ava Luxe Week). Blew me away - a lovely 'dirty violet' scent akin to Voleur de Roses but for violets. Therefore, I approached Black Violet with a little skepticism - would Tom be able to compare to MV? After testing BV, um...no.

BV starts out grape-y and plum-y. For a few seconds in the top notes I got that Grape Bubble-Yum note from Gaultier2, but then it quickly disappeared to be replaced by the very decadent (but dark) fruitiness.

The mid and drydown started to smell very familiar...and then I realized what it it was: Black Orchid (the other Tom Ford cologne that came out BEFORE the 12 Private Blends) shares that same dark fruitiness. Except this doesn't get earthy/funky like Black Orchid, it just stays dark, fruit, and violets. Sillage was perfect, however longevity was shorter than I would've liked (mind you, Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe lasts and lasts...)

Black Violet is an 'interesting' men's scent - I think it's above average. Let's face it...men shopping at the new Tom Ford store who happen upon the fragrance counter probably will not be drawn towards the one scent with 'Violet' in its name. I think it's very edgy to come up with a dark, violet scent for men. I just think Mr. Ford is a little too late...Ava Luxe beat him to it.

Moss Breches:

Before I got the 12 Tom Ford samples, I heard good things (from bloggers) about Moss Breches, Oud Wood and Tuscan Leather. I had not gotten to either of the 3 until this week, when I wore MB.

Moss? I always think of Mitsouko when I think of a 'mossy' fragrance...to me, THAT'S what moss smells like. How wrong I was...this smells NOTHING like Mitsouko. In fact, of all seven Tom Ford's that I've tried, this one is the LEAST luxurious of them all. Very casual IMO. Earthy. Herbal (is that sage? Maybe this is that what moss, torn from a tree, smells like?). Sillage was kind of OK on me, nothing spectacular. In about a couple of hours on my skin - it was gone. For a few seconds between the top notes and middle notes, it felt like I was laying on the bottom of a forest...airy, dirt(y), petrified tree bark. Fans of Vetiver Extraordinaire and/or all of you Basenoters who were whining about how 'vetiver aint what it used to be'...will like MB.

However, I enjoy this same sensation from my lovely bottle of Terre D'Hermes...thank you very much Jean Claude Ellena. I'll pass on a full bottle of this.

p.s. -- When I read the name Moss Breches I always want to pronounce it 'moss britches'.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st May 2007 at 01:07 AM.

thanks again mike for your beautieful aromatic reviews, I want to sniff Black Violet now.. it sounds like the mascuilan version of Black Orchide.

I can't wait to read your review on OUD WOOD ...

Basenotes Institution

OK are you all sick of Tom Ford reviews yet..? Just kidding.

This past week I wore Tuscan Leather and Noir de Noir:

Tuscan Leather:

Well if you read my thread 'Leather - a study in 3 parts' I mentioned my experience with TL - I suddenly found myself sniffing a 'type' of leather I'd never encountered before. The leather that smells JUST like fine leather goods (handbags, luxury car interior) minus the animalistic, raw stench that some leather scents give off. TL has a slight 'tar' note too, that some might call smoky but its much better than just smoke. I think this is the note that compliments the leather the best.

I will also say that I could totally see you using TL to layer with other scents - to kind of 'leather up' certain scents that need a little kick (you know like people do with Dirt by Demeter).

It remains to be see if Kelly Caleche, the Hermes soon-to-be-released 'leather' scent, will impress me more than Tuscan Leather. If it doesn't - most likely I will buy a bottle of TL. It's that good.

Noir de Noir:

Some other bloggers mentioned TL's similarities to Black Orchid. I DON'T. If you remember, I thought Black Violet reminded me of Black Orchid.

I got the rose (yeah its dark...) and I got the saffron (not the Paprika Brasil kinda saffron but rather a more wet saffron) and I got the honey (lightly).

It kind of bored me after a few minutes. I kept thinking...I've smelled this combo before. Then it hit me: A.maze by People of the Labyrinths. NdN smells just like A.maze, minus about half of the rose strength.

Longevity and sillage were average.

This IMO will appeal to women WAY MORE than men. If so, it should be very popular. But not for me. I'll pass.

Considering the line is really pricey.......I find these reviews helpful so I can minus the duds...and grab decants/samples of the ones that sound really interesting....so far the Tobacco Vanille and Japan Noir sound really nice and to my liking. Thanks for the words .

Basenotes Institution

OK, so I'm now finished sampling the Tom Ford Exclusive Blends - I wore the final 3 samples last week. Perhaps I'll create a brand new post next week, maybe just a one sentence review of all 12 - as a wrap-up thread, for future TFEB scent comments and such since the subject title of this thread is a little misleading.

If you've been reading all of my reviews up to this point, thanks for the interest and patience. If you're tired of reading about my disappointment with some of the TF's then stop reading now and move on to another thread (perhaps one of the 16 Creed threads posted in the last 5 days...[just kidding]). If you're interested in my honest feelings about these last 3, well then here we go:

Oud Wood -

Oh, oud. I know very little about this note, and what I know about it I've learned here on BN. Basically its another word for agarwood, blah, blah, blah. All I remember is that its in M7, a Tom Ford inspired scent that I hated from day one (it was gifted to me by a co-worker). Funny that every time I wore M7, I received a compliment, while I simultaneously hated it. Traded my bottle here on BN. So, I approached Oud Wood with some skepticism. Immediately upon application, I was reminded of the top notes of Film Noir by Ava Luxe (if you haven't tried this, it's the sh*t...). But instead of transitioning and sweetening or smoking (like FN does), this just stayed smelling like rubber. Latex glove, inflatable river raft industrial strength rubber. Upon a more closer sniff to my arm...raspberry. Weird combo. I thought it'd evolve more, so I waited. It stayed as rubber-raspberry all through the dry down. A linear rubber raspberry scent - who, but Tom Ford, could charge upwards of $165 for this experience, I ask you?

Disappointment, to say the least.

Maybe the oud note smells like rubber to me (cause M7 smells like burning rubber?)

Purple Patchouli:

The strangest of the twelve - this is the evil stepchild. Soapy. Skanky. Um....what does this scent want to DO? The musty almost dirty notes resemble Black Orchid in their 'decomposition' note...but instead of that wonderful fruitiness of Black Orchid enveloping them, PP just kind of clashes them with citrus notes.

I don't get the 'purple' word in the name - I envisioned violet, grape or wine-y notes, none of which exist in PP.

Longevity and sillage were below average too. Really horrible for something this expensive.

If you like Nostalgia or other 'freak' scents, check this out. Otherwise, perhaps another scent of Tom's should be worn with your $15,000 smoking jacket that you just bought at the Tom Ford store.

Nertoli Portofino:

I joked earlier, that the name 'Neroli Portofino' sounds like a condominium complex to me. And it still does...I kept secretly hoping that I wouldn't like this, since if I bought a full bottle of it and people smelled it and wanted to know what it was, I'd have to say this silly name out loud. Anyway. Really, this is an OK scent. Just OK. I think its best summed up by calling it an Eau de Parfum of 4711, if such a scent existed. I like 4711 (although the CdG colognes have made 4711 almost obsolete now that I own them) but the original 4711 is just TOO light and doesn't have that 'oomph', that I want citrusy scents to have. NP has this. I used to have difficulty differentiating neroli and orange blossom but ever since I tried NP now I understand completely how different neroli is. Just so fresh and bracing.

NP is super linear, which was OK since it smells so goddamn good. But longevity is below average. It is actually, the lowest longevity of all twelve scents. Not 4711 low. But low.

For $165? I don't think so.

I'm out. Peace.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th June 2007 at 11:55 PM.

Question Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

My Dad bought Black Violet. At the time it smelled good, It turned into a femine kind of smell. I'm not certian if any guy would like it or not.

Smile Re: Tom Ford new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

I have been experimenting with Tobacco Vanille for a few days. It's good, but it turns into straight vanilla at the end of the day.
    So far, Tuscan Leather is my favorite, but hardly worth the price as it is a replica of Parfum d"Empire's Eau de Gloire and Il Porfumo's G 11, which are a better value. If you are going to be exclusive, you have to be original.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th June 2007 at 12:55 AM. Reason: capriciousness!

thanks mike for your critic. , I guess that rubbery stuff comes from the comboination of oud & iris... this what I have detect from the samples that I recived last week, there are similar oud fragrances to OW here in my place at local attars, but OW brings the smell of bar in London added to it (this what I felt) , so it is not really new to me ..I prefer M7 over OW.

& ur right about NP , there is nothing 'PRIVATE' about it.

so far I liked Noir Noir, Tuscan Leather & Oud Wood & I am not sure yeat about Tobacco Vanille.
    Last edited by tariq; 10th June 2007 at 07:16 AM.

The best to me - Noir Noir - very good dark rose scent with the smell of wine dregs. It's stronger and darker than FM Une Rose

Tuscan Leather is a very nice leather: in the drydown I smell candies (Givenchy Hot Couture; Guerlain Champs Elysee Too Much)
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    The best to me - Noir Noir - very good dark rose scent with the smell of wine dregs. It's stronger and darker than FM Une Rose
    Have you smelled A.maze by POTL and would you compare it (like i did) to Noir Noir?

Have you smelled A.maze by POTL and would you compare it (like i did) to Noir Noir?
    No, I haven't smelled A.maze yet. Actually it's the first time I hear such brand
    By the way, it was really interesting to read your comments about TF private blend scents

p.s.
    if somebody likes vanilla (who doesn't), tobaco Vanilla is superb and it lasts the whole day
    Last edited by DreamerII; 19th September 2007 at 09:19 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I had a chance to try a few of them..I'll just add my reviews here.

Noir et Noir: The note pyramid of this interested me the most. Saffron, Black Rose and Truffles. Instead I got sweet violets with a bit of floral on my skin. It isn't bad, but reminds of the typical perfumes the mid 30's corporate women wear when I take the skytrain in the morning.

Japan Noir: I was expecting something dark but instead got a sweet scent, mostly amber. It isn't an odd scent, but a bit hard to describe. I find it very similar to Ulrich Lang's Anvers.

Tobacco Vanille: Again, expecting a modern tobacco scent, but instead got "Grampa smoking a pipe". It has a 1930's gentlemen's club vibe to it.

now to ones that I enjoyed.....

Moss Breches: I read a couple reviews above that fans of Vetiver would love this, but it's actually my most hated note, and I very much love this. It has a very celtic vide, sorta roaming the foggy forest right before the sun comes up, but at the same time it also has this very powerhouse vibe, very much like Aramis JHL and YSL Rive Gauche.

Tuscan Leather: Very strange...when I smell this directly on my skin, it's bitter leather but the sillage is very raspberry sweet. Reminds me of the sweetness of Sequoia with leather. I love this one a lot.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 28th September 2007 at 04:02 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    now to ones that I enjoyed.....

Moss Breches: I read a couple reviews above that fans of Vetiver would love this, but it's actually my most hated note, and I very much love this. It has a very celtic vide, sorta roaming the foggy forest right before the sun comes up, but at the same time it also has this very powerhouse vibe, very much like Aramis JHL and YSL Rive Gauche.

Tuscan Leather: Very strange...when I smell this directly on my skin, it's bitter leather but the sillage is very raspberry sweet. Reminds me of the sweetness of Sequoia with leather. I love this one a lot.
    Yes - Moss Breches is the perfect scent with vetiver for vetiver haters - I never thought of that, but you're right. I just wish that it lasted more on my skin...I must retest again.

TL - strange, some bloggers mentioned the raspberry note but I didn't get it at all, but the leather note is the very best leather note I've ever encountered. I can't say it reminds me of Sequoia (the sweet birch note in Sequoia really only reminds me of root beer and Kyoto also by CdG). Oh yeah, and TL doesn't smell like cocaine to me either (not that I've ever smelled cocaine...).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th September 2007 at 03:29 PM.

Just got some samples from the perfumed court and SHEEEEE-YIIIIIITTTT.....

Bad move for my pocket book
    I had only tried Tobacco Vanille before ( I LOVE IT BTW)

Black Violet - soft powdery and still I get a masculine vibe out of it....it is nice.

Oud Wood - Very nice and maybe my favorite so far....when I take it in....I get a MUCH more/better refined M7, this stuff is the shiznit!

Moss Breches - A unique smell to my nose and I can't even really describe what I feel but I know I like it.....sorry.

Tuscan Leather - a very nice strong/soft unique leather scent....it says confidence and strength IMO...yes, I like this one too.

I'll have to give the others a try throughout the rest of the week into the weekend...
    If you have not sampled his Private collection....you must do so, but I warn you....You WILL want to buy something out of the line if you do
    Enjoy!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22 View Post
    I'll have to give the others a try throughout the rest of the week into the weekend...
    Interested to see how you enjoy Velvet Gardenia and Neroli Portofino. Please post your thoughts.

hmmm, velvet gardenia is the only one I didn't get because I have yet to like anything that smells of gardenia so I didn't even try....how is it?

As for Neroli Portofino....it is pretty good...not groundbreaking, but nice nevertheless.
    Neroli usually give me a headache....but this one did not.

I like the Noir Noir and Japon Noir but they are a little too close to the skin....almost no projection at all for me ???

Purple Patchouli was strange to me...That's about all I have to say about it...strange ???

Bois Rouge smelled nice for the frst 15 mins but then just faded into just another sweet woody scent...

Basenotes Institution

hmmm, velvet gardenia is the only one I didn't get because I have yet to like anything that smells of gardenia so I didn't even try....how is it?

As for Neroli Portofino....it is pretty good...not groundbreaking, but nice nevertheless.
    Neroli usually give me a headache....but this one did not.

I like the Noir Noir and Japon Noir but they are a little too close to the skin....almost no projection at all for me ???

Purple Patchouli was strange to me...That's about all I have to say about it...strange ???

Bois Rouge smelled nice for the frst 15 mins but then just faded into just another sweet woody scent...
    Your experiences with the above are very similar to my own.

Velvet Gardenia is quite indolic (or blue cheese-ish, for that matter) and if you don't like gardenia notes then steer clear of this one, it's got it in spades.

One difference for me - Japan Noir did not wear close to my skin at all...however it was a smoke fest and made me a little uncomfortable in how much it resembled the smell of liquid smoke (that food additive, that BBQ joints add to their BBQ sauce). I like smoky scents and CBIHP's Burning Leaves or Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durdano handle the smoke much more deftly and 'naturally' - whereas JN just smelled like something on fire that wouldn't be extinguished. Ack!

When I was at La Rinasciemente in Milano last month, I had the chance, over a period of about an hour, to sample all 12 of the new Tom Fords. After intense deliberation (I drove my shopping companions crazy. "...Good grief Griff, how many bottles of cologne does one man need?..." to which I silently replied, "Oh, you have no idea..."), I settled on two that, to this nose at the time, seemed to me to be the most singular and remarkable of the line:

Japan Noir
    Tuscan Leather

I can't find anything in my wardrobe that comes close to resembling these two. In brief:

I would say that JN is closest in structure to M7 Fresh with a dash of white smoke and just a hint of white pepper. While it dries down on the back of my hand (I am sniffing both at the moment) I notice a wisp of sandalwood incense. I adore this one.

Tuscan Leather is probably the most authentic leather accord I have ever encountered. A clean animalic accord of freshly tanned and worked leather that for me immediately conjured up the heavenly aroma of one of those little leather goods specialty shops on the Ponte Vecchio in Firenze (the back of my hand smells like the inside of a wallet!...in a good way). I will wear this one often and can imagine needing a new bottle within the year.

My nose could have fatigued by a certain point (12 very different EDPs at one time would test even the best nose) but the other ten did not impress me enough to slap down the Amex. They were all nicely made, none were out and out disagreeable (though I would probably never buy Purple Patchouli - it is definitely not for me), I made a note that a few others would definitely be worthy of a revisit some time in the future: Tobacco Vanille, Black Orchid and Bois Rouge to be specific. (Buzzlepuff's comparison of TV as a light version of Fumerie Turque is spot on btw.)

But of the line, my vote for "must haves" are JN and TL. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Griff
    Last edited by Griff; 30th November 2007 at 11:58 PM.

I currently own Tobacco Vanille and I just placed an order for an additional 3 with the possibility of getting 2 more next month...

I just ordered Neroli Portofino, Oud Wood and Tuscan Leather....
    I will Definitely get Moss Breches and most likely get Japan Noir....

Japan Noir just sits too close to the skin for me....I will retest a few times to be sure....it is a pleasant scent though.

Basenotes Institution

I currently own Tobacco Vanille and I just placed an order for an additional 3 with the possibility of getting 2 more next month...

I just ordered Neroli Portofino, Oud Wood and Tuscan Leather....
    I will Definitely get Moss Breches and most likely get Japan Noir....
    Where'd you order them from rjrober22, if you don't mind me asking?

Black Violet I found cloying yet interesting; Purple Patchouli I found utterly fascinating. (Too bad it's so fucking expensive.)
    Can't wait to try Tuscan Leather!
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th December 2007 at 10:02 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Love Amber Absolute and Black Orchid, but was disappointed with TF for Men. Not a bad fragrance, just too mainstream.
    Last edited by ga97; 7th January 2008 at 07:38 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ga97 View Post
    Love Amber Extreme and Black Orchid, but was disappointed with TF for Men. Not a bad fragrance, just too mainstream.
    I think you mean Amber Absolute, don't you ga97?

Also, this thread is about Tom Ford's Private Blends, not his designer scent releases (of which Black Orchid and Tom Ford for Men fall into). I agree with you, TFFM was disappointing.

i thought Tom ford Extreme was a very good 'straight ahead' fragrance.....and probably the one i would purchase from that house...Black Orchid would fit me if I were 130 pounds heavier and enjoyed hanging out at random bakeries....
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Where'd you order them from rjrober22, if you don't mind me asking?
    Bergdorf Goodman....Sorry it took so long to respond....I just read this again.
    I recently ordered Moss Breches and Amber Absolute as well....
    So I currently own:

Moss Breches
    Amber Absolute
    Oud Wood
    Tuscan Leather
    Tobacco Vanille
    Neroli Portofino

I Like 'em a lot

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Tom Ford Private Blends new colognes - anyone sniff them yet?

Bergdorf Goodman....Sorry it took so long to respond....I just read this again.
    I recently ordered Moss Breches and Amber Absolute as well....
    So I currently own:

Moss Breches
    Amber Absolute
    Oud Wood
    Tuscan Leather
    Tobacco Vanille
    Neroli Portofino

I Like 'em a lot
    Moss Breches seems to have made it into a few end of the year Best of 2007 lists. I must re-sniff this one soon...I remember it not making much of an impression on me.

It looks like you own the best ones in the line. Good for you! So, when can I come over and play at your house rjrober?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th January 2008 at 02:53 PM.

hahaha...I'll ask the wife if I can have a play date...
    I'm now looking at the Cereus scents as well as the Kilian scents....I have ordered samples of the Kilian ones so we'll see....they sound pretty darn good.

Moss Breches seems to have made it into a few end of the year Best of 2007 lists. I must re-sniff this one soon...I remember it not making much of an impression on me.

It looks like you own the best ones in the line. Good for you! So, when can I come over and play at your house rjrober?

Moss Breches seems to have made it into a few end of the year Best of 2007 lists.
    One of the best new scents I've smelt...and would also put down the Private Blend line the best set of perfumes to be released in 2007.

Mosses Breches & Tuscan Leather were my top favorites.

I wore Noir et Noir today..I didn't care for it at first..but today it was a wet plum + booze type of scent..really nice and then dried down to something dark...I like it, but might pass on a purchase.

BTW, where can one purchase if they don't live near a flagship store? do they have plans to expand the line elsewhere....i guess I might have to wait till a bottle pops up on ebay or something...

Just prior to this last Christmas, I ordered a 10 ml decant of Tom Ford's Oud Wood from a very kind and reliable supplier in Munich, Germany. (Living in Norway where only the big name fragrances are to be found in its capital city, Oslo, I rely very much on the internet and postal services.) In my precious package, which arrived a few days before the New Year, I found, in addition to the OW decant, two smaller spray samples of Tom Ford's private blend: Amber Absolute and Tobacco Vanilla!

My first reaction after spraying on OW was: "I'm going to have to restock this one when my decant runs out". I apologize for my lack of precise scent analysis, but I found OW a very wearable non-cloying, fresh-outdoorsy scent with a very unique WOW-like note (probably the "oud") which has me wondering if this is not one of those holy grail ingredients which I've been on the look-out for - not knowing exactly what that note might be. It is probably somewhat similar to cypress or sandalwood - yet different. As you can see, I'm very much a novice when it comes to describing a scent. I have no problems with the wearability of OW.

The other two Tom Ford Private Blend edps (in sample Tom Ford spray vials) are undoubtedly masterpieces, but being somewhat of a timid nature, I found particularly the Amber Absolute to be a very potent fragrance. DO NOT BUY THIS ONE UNTESTED. I applied this one very lightly and was still catching definite sillage well into the next day. Its opening reminded me immediately of the resinous Ambre Sultans (Serge Lutens). You only need a few microliters (a very small drop) and this will be with you for hours! Actually, I would have loved to test this on someone else to see how it would come across. On my own wrist - and I had sprayed a minimal amount - I could see how someone sitting next to me might perhaps (but not necessarily so) experience this as an "invasion". And being so preocupied with not being obtrusive, I had a hard time being objective about AA. A friend of mine commented that I smelled like "incense" the next day. I asked if he found it disagreable to which he replied in the negative - but this was the next day - mind you! Early on after spraying this on, I found there was a "hollowness" in the fragrance which might be reminiscent of civet - while at the same time a persistent potency - rather hard to describe. I must say I was intrigued by it but - repeating myself - would love to have someone sit down at an adjacent cafe table with it on to get a more objective impression. I don't want to come across as negative. I look forward to reading what some of the more experienced have to say about it.

I found myself enjoying the Tobacco Vanilla more and being less apprehensive about having it on. It has a rounded burnt sugar / caramel (perhaps even pastrylike) "sweetness" to it - (repeating what I read somewhere else about it) at the same time reminiscent of pipe tobacco. If I'm not mistaken in my recollection of the later dry down - there seemed to be a/some woodlike note(s). I found it to be a very cozy / comfortable fragrance to have around. I can't think of any other fragrance quite like it - which is to say that I experienced it as unique (and concentrated). Definitely worth trying but would definitely not buy one untested either.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    BTW, where can one purchase if they don't live near a flagship store? do they have plans to expand the line elsewhere....i guess I might have to wait till a bottle pops up on ebay or something...
    nsamadi - have you tried calling the Tom Ford boutique and asking them if they'll ship bottles with a credit card, etc?

If you have and they won't, how about Bergdorf Goodman (in NY)?

Ebay is, of course, an option - but then you gotta watch out for product that hasn't been stored properly, etc...and at the prices that these PR are, it would be really disappointing to drop serious $ on a full bottle and to have it arrive smelling 'off'. If you choose the Ebay route tread carefully.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

nsamadi - have you tried calling the Tom Ford boutique and asking them if they'll ship bottles with a credit card, etc?
    I haven't bought any yet...thinking about it, but I'm not going to go through Ebay, I seldom do..and mostly buy locally....I'll try calling them and see how that goes..Thanks!

Oh, I just wanted to mention that NM has the entire line available for sale through their online store. They have both the 50ml bottle and large 250ml decanter for sale.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...6190741&cmCat=