Code of Conduct
    smeller

Default Le Male: my (wierd) experience

A week ago, I bought Le Male - a blind buy.

I did it because I've been searching a basic - and classic - vanilla scent, and this is the closest I found. I know about Égoiste, but that's a much more complex concoction.

So, I sprayed a bit of Le Male on my arm (I mean a very little bit: sprayed very lightly, and I really got just a few drops).

After a very quick anise-like opening (didn't enjoyed it so much), I waited to the vanilla to come.

First reaction: I found it very different. I thought: finally a basic, simple oriental scent, that does not try to be the most exotic one. Just plain vanilla.

After a few hours: I know it was just a few drops, but it seemed to spread over all my left arm, and in began to project very powerfully. Soon it became very, very heavy and cloying.

Then, I ran to the bathroom, and I could just think about how I could wash this out - forever.

After a while, I could reduce the scent to a minimum. So, I felt I could wear another thing to my appointment, and I did.

Next day, I woke up and gave a sniff on the point I sprayed Le Male. It was still there, but it was completely different to the cloying thing. It was pleasant, in a light mood. Sweet and dense, but in a restrained way.

During the week, I coud still sniff traces of it on my arm. I became afraid it would never go away, like an olfactory tattoo. I never got anything with that longevity on me.

Is this a normal reaction to Le Male? It's just my body chemistry? I don't want to go through such an sensorial rollercoaster like this so soon.

By the way, I dislike the bottle and the tin box a lot, and it took years to me to overcome my aversion to them and try the stuff. Probably it's just not my cup of tea.

Peace

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Le Male: my (wierd) experience

Very typical - Le Male is S-T-R-O-N-G.

If you decide to keep it, spray it NO MORE than twice.

Here in England it is Very popular and people who wear it usually apply it like mad as I smell it on 3 different people a day and I can pick it up many feet away.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Le Male has that very, very cloying scent that seems to never go away at times. I find that if I'm going to wear it that I will wear long sleeves to try and keep it from projecting so much. I love it to death at times and at others I wish to burn my supply of it.

If you're looking for a straight up classic Vanillic, go for Pi by Givenchy. Le Male is a completely different fragrance to me, so we may not agree nasally on that point. It's sticky sweet, but more fruity than vanillic to me.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Oddly enough, I have a female friend that wears Le Male. It works great on her. Of course, I'd probably like most scents on her. Probably more to do with her than the scent itself.
    - E.J.

Le Male is one I do a few light sprays of and then by the time I get to work I wonder if it is too much. It does seem to magnify over time. Good thing I like it.

Le Male is notorious for its staying power and very evident "presence".

A word about the packaging... I was also unimpressed with the can packaging until I attended a Gaultier training seminar where it was explained to me Gaultier's thought process behind it.
    Basically he is a man of contrasts (with his fashion AND fragrance) whereby lines between genders/ages/races etc are blurred. He wanted to create a dramatic contrast with his first scents, breaking down the barriers between what one would "expect" to see in terms of fine fragrance packaging, and something kitsch and visually challenging. What else to package a fine Parisian fragrance in other than a grimey old spinach can? The juxtaposition of a luxurious object of desire, and something 'ugly' and immediately disposable is nothing short of genius. To my mind.

Blog Entries

The Body Shop Javari is a fresher, spicier, less cloying interpretation of the same theme as JPG Le Male.

I tend to prefer both in cooler winter weather, but can wear Javari throughout the year. I tend to 'decant & dab' to reduce over application and excess sillage.

I much prefer TBS Javari to JPG Le Male as I find the later way too cloying.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Am I the only one who believes to have sampled a new, rather floral but still fresh 'Le Male' Saturday? The old Torso bottle had always put me off. But it didn't matter as I also disliked the smell. The new Torso is fresh and clean in unadorned white which gives it a Kouros appeal. And although I liked what I smelled, the scent turned my m/f compass needle by 180° immediately. This one puts Chanel 5 to shame! Too bad I forgot the exact name, but I know it's not yet in the directory. Supposedly new ---?
    Last edited by narcus; 16th April 2007 at 09:15 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Am I the only one who believes to have sampled a new, rather floral but still fresh 'Le Male' Saturday? The old Torso bottle had always put me off. But it didn't matter as I also disliked the smell. The new Torso is fresh and clean in unadorned white which gives it a Kouros appeal. And although I liked what I smelled, the scent turned my m/f compass needle by 180° immediately. This one puts Chanel 5 to shame! Too bad I forgot the exact name, but I know it's not yet in the directory. Supposedly new ---?
    The new release is called Fleur de Male. I haven't tried it yet but am in no rush as I don't love Le Male.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I felt left out with Gaultier and Le Male for years. Both, the bottle and scent never appealed to me. But after sampling the new Fleur du Mâle in a crisp white torso bottle I may change my mind.
    Last edited by narcus; 16th April 2007 at 10:09 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.