Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Gentleman - How many sprays?

I just bought this this weekend at my local Ross's store. $24.99 for a 3.3 OZ spray seemed a good deal.

I have not worn it "out" yet and I was wondering about the correct dosage?

How many sprays are right without "clearing the room"? I suspect 2 or 3. I'll be wearing it to work.

Lightbulb Re: Givenchy Gentleman - How many sprays?

GG's initial blast will clear a room. If you wait about a 1/2 hour before leaving the house you should be ok with 2 - 3 sprays. I made the mistake of once spraying it on at work and everyone thought that I broke a bottle on the floor. It's one of my 'old school' faves. Enjoy.

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman - How many sprays?

I agree that 2 or 3 sprays should do the trick, and also with letting it settle down for a while before going into action.

This is also one of my favorite frags

noggs

OK, another shameless celebrity barb...

I was watching that soap opera talk show with my wife last year ....it has Lisa Rinna and Ty Treadway and she had said that this was her husband (Harry Hamlin) and her fave.

ive got the soap of Gentleman...found it among my dads soap/hotel extras/freebies collection wonder if the fragrance smells anything like the soap

pretty cool eh
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

I agree with what everyone else has said, more than three sprays and you will be alone in the room. By the way, that is a good deal on Gentleman.

you chose a great classic. Spend some time with it on the back of your hand. Spritz twice. let it dry, enjoy it, enjoy it as it changes maybe while you're out doing things go back to it and see how it is. different? nice price you got. It looks like an old time scent but they're not making anything as memorable...now..... at the end as it winds down ... to the basenotes... how is it?

if your not familiar with patchouli..this could be your sink or swim lesson...i would go gently .. two sprays to start...see how the world reacts..see how YOU react...then apply accordingly...

i love the stuff...but i have learned to be spare with the application...and you can trust that even two sprays will let the world know you are wearing something special...though no one may comment...they know

enjoy your find...
    wolf

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    if your not familiar with patchouli..this could be your sink or swim lesson...i would go gently .. two sprays to start...see how the world reacts..see how YOU react...then apply accordingly...

i love the stuff...but i have learned to be spare with the application...and you can trust that even two sprays will let the world know you are wearing something special...though no one may comment...they know

enjoy your find...
    I agree with this. I love GG but people out there react to this one as they do to nothing else I wear. It is really important to NOT treat this in the same way you would a standard modern weak fragrance, but to let it settle for at least a half hour before venturing out into the world. Otherwise you will immediately notice people pulling away from you, grimacing, etc. And once you get that reaction it may put you off wearing the scent again as it did another member when this came up a few months ago.

No more than three sprays, and it might be better to start off with just two. (It depends to a large extent on how close people are going to get to you in the early stages.)
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

On me it's very strong, so i go with 2 light sprays in each wrist and then one walk-in spray, and let it sit for 15 min or so, or until the top notes don't seem too strong.

I usually don't wear this one in the summer.

One spray on each pectoral, none on the neck, is elegant sufficiency. With a crisp white shirt (and singlet if thus inclined) over the top to filter the initial fumes.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Wow. 2 sprays it is and I am very glad that I asked!! I'll test run this puppy tomorrow.

I had a leadership meeting this AM so I went safely with CK Euphoria. 4 sprays of this modern scent.

Givenchy Gentleman is definitely a fragrance to go lightly with, 2 or 3 sprays should do it. Also as was mentioned previously in this thread, give it a half hour or so to settle down before you go out in public. It is also a cooler weather fragrance, in hot weather it can really get overpowering. A few years ago it was reformulated. I've had both and really would be happy with either one. The older formulation is a little bit more potent, especially the Civet note, but the new formulation is still plenty potent. I think the new formulation, especially for a newer user is more accessible, but you still need to go lightly with the spray. I would also suggest holding the sprayer at a greater distance when applying, try 10" to 15".
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Talking Re: Givenchy Gentleman - How many sprays?

I went with 2 sprays, but one of them partially "missed". My sprayer got turned around. I did not want to risk it, so I stayed with 1.5. I'm really enjoying it.

I think I got an indirect compliment. My CFO's Assistant came over to my office to pick up some documents.On the way out she asked my Assistant "What smells so good in here?" My assistant did not know. The other lady said "It might be Chuck".

:0

I am not brave enough to wear this in public. I wear it at home for when I do meditation.

Joe

Talking Re: Givenchy Gentleman - How many sprays?

It's one of my favorites, but are you sure you want to wear it to work during the day? If so, 2 sprays at most and don't rush to work!

1.5 sprays were perfect; 2 full sprays should still be OK. I'm the boss, I can get by with a little more. Of course, I'm sensitive to the setting. A close-quarters meeting would be a no-no for this one, probably...that said, I noticed the attorney sat a little closer than normal yesterday...heck, it just smells good!!

Said that I used to wear it back in my early teenage with 4 sprizes, it was back in time when you most want to catch attention hehe... well, and power juices were still popular among the masses and the common sense of smell wasn't yet deviated by the wave of aseptic ozonic faint clean "aquae".
    Nowadays I still enjoy wearing it from time to time, but I won't wear more than 3 spritzes and absolutely won't waste it wearing it in the heat.

it's really strong

I think gentleman is a bit underrated here. its one of the best old classy scents for men
    Last edited by DreamerII; 20th April 2007 at 09:20 AM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Like with most patchouli dominant fragrances, you have to go easy on the trigger... Application is the key to either people enjoying to be around you or running for cover...

The product may well have altered a bit since this thread was started in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Nah. If stored properly, perfumes can last decades without degradation.

3-5 sprays for this one.

Very good

2 sprays would be my recommendation also. This one has earned its title as a classic in the men's fragrance pantheon.

3 Sprays would be my recommendation.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Nah. If stored properly, perfumes can last decades without degradation.

3-5 sprays for this one.
    jivehippo , true
    but , i think what lpp means is , it has been "reformulated"

five sprays of vintage for me !!
    I wear it about 3 or 4 times a year .
    cheers

I think JH was making a joke, Dimitrios - because it's such an old thread

true ,,,, both ways