Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Exclamation It's Official: Chicago L'Artisan to host us May 26!!!

[Tigrushka, Grant? May we put a sticky on this please?]

"CHICAGO SCENT ME!"

The Brand-New L'Artisan Parfumeur Boutique Will Play Host

To The 1st Major U.S. Basenotes Get-together Saturday

May 26, 2007

Every Basenotes member is invited to share in the fun. Just one requirement: I need a real head count now so manager Charla Mason can accommodate our numbers accordingly. If our population grows to a certain size, we may need to split into groups so, say, 12 can do lunch while 12 are getting the royal treatment at L'Artisan, and then the groups would switch off. Once we know how many are coming, I'll post actual times.

Even though I asked if they'd like to charge something to cover goodie bags for all us, Charla insisted that we will be gifted with something at no cost :wave:. Additionally, I asked if she could recommend where we could dine and not be obnoxious as a fanatically fragranced group, she replied:

There is a great Italian restaurant in the building - Tucci Benucch 312-266-2500. I spoke to Katie Unger - she is very helpful. She is holding the garden space - touch base with her right away - you should confirm with her by may 1st. There is a minimum amount for food and beverage. There are two rooms - I recommend the garden area - it is a great space and it is a little less expensive.

Your "To Do" List:
    1) RSVP in this thread by Friday, April 20 (a few stragglers may be accommodated).
    2) Make up some kind of nametag for yourself to wear that day. Ideally it would bear your first name, your Basenotes username and a picture of your avatar.
    3) Make a list of frags you want to test (print out your whole BN wardrobe for a complete reference).
    4) Bring various denominations of cash so paying for lunch will be less complicated.
    5) After the event, send a thank-you note to Charla and staff so Basenoters are well thought of by industry people and so we'll always be welcome back.

You May Want to Take Along:
    ~ Extra samples and decants to give/swap with others during lunch.
    ~ A shirt that exposes lots of arm space for testing.
    ~ Wipes to wash off forearms as necessary (see Robin's skin-cleaning advice at NowSmellThis).

If you're thinking of making a L'Artisan purchase in the near future, please consider doing so at this event so BNers are occasionally recognized as consumers (not just sample-suckers ). Besides, don't you want a souvenir of this auspicious coming together?

AH, CHICAGO ... just selected as the next host city to the Olympics ... the third-largest city in the U.S. ... home to a boodle of fragrance sources:

L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Located at 900 North Michigan <see this link to all the shops>

~ and ~

Saks Fifth Avenue
    Bloomingdale's
    Sephora
    Marshall Fields (Macy's)
    Neiman Marcus
    Nordstroms
    Filene's Basement

~ plus ~

C.O. Bigelow
    (which carries Acqua di Parma, Apivita, Carthusia, Comptoir Sud Pacifique, Diptyque, I Profumi di Firenze, Miller Harris and more)

Merz Apothecary
    (which carries 4711, Aura Cacia, L'Aromarine, Tosca and more)

Here are two maps that will help you navigate "The Magnificent Mile," as Chicago's shopping corridor is known. (Map 1) (Interactive, Map 2)

Chicago has a great mass-transit system. I plan to take the train from Milwaukee and a bus from Union Station to Michigan Avenue. Buses move between these points every few minutes, and a ride is just $4. Learn more online at RTA.

One last thing to note: This is not a Basenotes- or Grant-sanctified event. It's just the hair-brain scheme of one frag hag who would love to see the faces of those great personalities found here at Basenotes. However, since we will, for intents and purposes, represent the face of Basenotes while in the L'Artisan boutique, I expect all of us to reflect respectfully on Grant's enterprise. Understood? Good!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: It's Official: Chicago L'Artisan to host us May 26!!!

Count me in!
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

Support Xscentrik - The World's First Crowdfunded Fragrance Store: http://igg.me/at/xscentrik/x/11176018

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

You are counted, MFfan.

I forgot to remind everyone to PACK YOUR CAMERA!
    Last edited by Quarry; 16th April 2007 at 09:23 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm in, I have Sox tickets for 6 o'clock that night, so I'll have to be out by 4 or so..not sure how long it's going to go, but I'm in for sure!

Thumbs up Re: It's Official: Chicago L'Artisan to host us May 26!!!

I'll be there.

Wish I was closer to Chicago . I used to live there though, but that does'nt help now .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky View Post
    Wish I was closer to Chicago . I used to live there though, but that does'nt help now .
    Ah same here. I lived in Chicago from 2002-04 and thats where I was when I started Basenotes. I lived on Michigan Ave so I got to sample everything I heard about here pretty easily. I'll try to make it for this event. I was in Chicago last year Memorial Day weekend and it was hot as heck. I hope the weather is better this year.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

heart of ice

Oh how I wish I could attend ... My nephew graduates from High School this weekend in Kansas, and I can't miss that.

You guys must take LOTS of pictures! and buy lots of good smellies!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Oh man i miss chicago so much, some of the best moments of my life i had there...i am so sorry i cannot be there for the meeting, i hope you all have an amazing time and i will be there in spirit, or hey, maybe if there's a pc there, i can be there via www!

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    or hey, maybe if there's a pc there, i can be there via www!
    They have audio and video of the www, have they invented technology where we can smell through the internet yet? That would be very handy.

Hope you folks will have a good time and think of the rest of us.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

OMG that will be AWESOME.
    Sorry for the Valleyspeak, but it was appropriately over-the-top here.
    We should do a L'Artisan Feasting week in preparation right before that.
    What do you think?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    OMG that will be AWESOME.
    Sorry for the Valleyspeak, but it was appropriately over-the-top here.
    We should do a L'Artisan Feasting week in preparation right before that.
    What do you think?
    Great idea!!! How about the week after? Those who go will have tried more scents, toddled home with free goodies and possible purchases, and we'll be able to discuss more fully.

Counting the responses here and a couple of others, this is the current group likely to go (some are "maybes"):

Quarry, Mr. Quarry, PaulG, MFFan, IndieGuy, Kotori, et_emergo, JaneBrkn, NattyGold, FlowerLady (from POL), LisaLaw (ebay seller), Aramanis, AZSmells, plus my client's wife and her mom (both of whom are/were perfume models for department store frags). Our population is small enough that we can stay together as one group.

I'm hoping for a few more RSVPs by Friday (or thereabouts). Next week I'm going to approach some of the other stores and ask whether we might be able to get a discount that weekend if we whisper the phrase "Chicago Scent Me." That way attendees can shop at their leisure and enjoy a few more perks.
    Last edited by Quarry; 18th April 2007 at 02:02 PM.

Please count me in for two! ( I'm not 100% sure we'll make it but I don't want to miss out if it's at all possible!!! ) Thanks so much for organizing this opportunity, I'm really looking forward to having L'Artisan in the midwest & meeting some fellow basenoters!

June Thomas (aka UBUANDIBEME)

I'm a new mwmber and I plan to attend

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I'm excited to see more RSVPs!

I've just received Tucci Benucch's menu. Their coordinator, Katie Unger, says their Sun Room seats 25 people. We're nearing 20 attendees now. If we go substantially over 25, we'll eat in two shifts. Otherwise, it'd be the most fun to dine as one group even if L'Artisan has to process us in waves and we have to entertain ourselves waiting around. There ARE other things to do at 900 N. Michigan in between times--like press your nose up against the window of the Lalique shop.

Note the price for the luncheon. If you choose to save $25+ to put toward fragrances and brownbag a PB&J instead, no one would think less of you (maybe respect your perfume dedication more!). Again, please bring various denominations of cash to make bill-settling less insane.

Katie has not asked me to ask your menu preferences at this time, nor has she asked for any $$ upfront. Perhaps when I get back to her with our exact number and time of day (to be worked out in coordination with Charla at L'Artisan) I'll need everybody to provide further feedback. Please stay tuned to this thread. Thanks!

Family Style Luncheon Menu

~First Course~

Appetizers
    (Choose Two)
    Grilled Bruschetta ~ Toasted Ravioli ~ Fried Calamari
    Margherita Pizza ~ Spicy Sausage Pizza ~ Char-grilled Pepperoni Pizza

Salad
    (Choose One)
    Garbage ~ Chopped ~ Tuscan ~ Classic Caesar

~Second Course~

Pasta
    (Choose Two)
    Famous Baked Spaghetti ~ Old World Lasagna
    Cheese Ravioli~ Garganelli Giovanni~
    Spaghetti Garlic Shrimp ~ Linguine Seafood~
    ~ Whole Wheat Capellini Pomodoro ~

Entree
    (Choose One)
    Baked Eggplant Parmesan ~ Chicken Parmesan ~ Garlic Chicken “Classico”
    ~ Chicken Marsala ~
    ~ Fish of the Day (add $2) ~
    ~ Filet Medallions (add $3) ~

Vegetable
    (Choose One)
    Asparagus ~ Steamed Broccoli ~ Garlic Mashed Potatoes

~Third Course~

Dessert
    (Choose One)
    Tiramisu ~ Apple Crostada ~ Bread Pudding ~

~Beverages~
    Freshly Brewed Coffee ~ Freshly Brewed Decaffeinated Coffee ~ Hot Tea ~ Iced Tea ~ Soda

$22.00 per person / $20.00 per person (without dessert)

Above prices do not include 10.25% tax or 20% gratuity.
    Last edited by Quarry; 18th April 2007 at 09:12 PM.

Finally, something in Chi-Town! I'll be there.
    BTW, I'm new to this, so please tell me if there's anything I need to know etc. ([email protected])
    Last edited by michelle_gale; 19th April 2007 at 04:15 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michelle_gale View Post
    Finally, something in Chi-Town! I'll be there.
    BTW, I'm new to this, so please tell me if there's anything I need to know etc. ([email protected])
    Welcome, Michelle. All you need to know has been or will be posted in this thread. Just bring a happy attitude and be yourself.

We're all attending in order to learn and smell something new. I knew absolutely nothing about fragrances 2-1/2 years ago. Further, rest assured no one will be less fashion conscious, more out of shape, or has inherited a lousier complexion than I. So everybody should feel very good about themselves. I turn 52 on the day we meet, so if you're a youngster, you can call me "Mom" the way my daughters' high school friends used to.

I just wanted to say that I'm going for sure! This is going to be fun and I can't wait.

Oh, I almost forgot: My dad will be coming, too, but I'm not sure whether he will be with me or if he will hang out at his other fave Michigan Avenue spots (read: Borders and the Apple Store). So keep a spot open for him just in case.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

Support Xscentrik - The World's First Crowdfunded Fragrance Store: http://igg.me/at/xscentrik/x/11176018

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Oh, I almost forgot: My dad will be coming, too, but I'm not sure whether he will be with me or if he will hang out at his other fave Michigan Avenue spots (read: Borders and the Apple Store). So keep a spot open for him just in case.
    That's sooo cool!

I plan on attending with my girlfriend.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quarry, please add my name to the list of attendees.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

We seem to be at 22. (AZSmells--are you a maybe?) Since the restaurant can seat 25 in the room they'll reserve for us, 25 would seem to make a good cut-off number (unless some of you know you don't want to waste precious nose time by consuming lunch???). Next week I'll contact our hosts and tell them 25 (just in case we pick up some stragglers). If you're on the list below and find that you simply can't make it, please let me know. Next I'm going to concentrate on finding out whether any other shops will offer us perks.

1) Quarry
    2) MFfan310
    3) MFfan dad
    4) Paul G
    5) Nattygold
    6) Indie_Guy
    7) et_emergo
    8) Kotori
    9) JaneBrkn (MUA)
    10) FlowerLady (POL)
    11) PrincessCaro (POL)
    12) Aramanis (POL)
    13) LisaLaw (MUA)
    14) Ubuandibeme
    15) Ubuandibeme's guest
    16) Cindyhtl
    17) Michelle_gale
    18) Manicboy
    19) Manicboy g-friend
    20) Quarry's client's wife
    21) Quarry's client's wife's guest
    22) High_Tech_Radiance

Hi-
    Can you count be in as a maybe? I won't know my schedule until 2-3 weeks before the soiree.
    I am relatively new to Basenotes and I live part-time in Milwaukee.

Is there a time table made up yet or is it too early to post? Is this a one day affair?

Jam

Please count me and my wife in. Sorry it took so long to respond.

WOW! This sounds like it's going to be fabulous... I'll have my nose pressed up against the window, wistfully wishing I could go! You folks will have so much fun. Please sniff some Premier Figuier Extreme for me!

Sorry I would love to come but I don't think I can make it.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by linnea View Post
    WOW! This sounds like it's going to be fabulous... I'll have my nose pressed up against the window, wistfully wishing I could go! You folks will have so much fun. Please sniff some Premier Figuier Extreme for me!
    I promise I will!
    Last edited by snakesandladders; 21st April 2007 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea View Post
    WOW! I'll have my nose pressed up against the window, wistfully wishing I could go! You folks will have so much fun.
    Me too Linnea, me too. Happy you guys can do this............
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Damn I hate driving to Chicago, but I can't resist. You can count me in, but I don't think I'll be up for lunch. I'm too much of a night person to eat that early. If there is anyone from the Peoria area or along the way that would like to carpool please let me know.

Oh yeah,. guess I should also ask what time everyone is meeting up.
    Last edited by Trioxin; 21st April 2007 at 06:54 AM.