Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: It's Official: Chicago L'Artisan to host us May 26!!!

I can't wait for the event. Megan and I have no preference, we will visit whatever stores in the order we are assigned. We will be driving in to the event and parking in the garage near there. Give us details on which store you want us to enter that morning.
    “The Unscented Life Is Not Worth Living.”
    Socrates
    (Re-worded by lauermar)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

L A T E S T . S T U F F

We have one more attendee as of today, Sunday, May 13. Later this week I'll post the who-goes-to-which-shop-first list.

I've just been told that May 26 is day the Memorial Day Parade takes place in downtown Chicago. I'll have to look up its route and start time and get back to you about that. You may need to allow for more travel time in getting to the 800-900 block of N. Michigan where all our activities will take place.
    Last edited by Quarry; 13th May 2007 at 03:11 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Argghhh! Get those plane tickets moved up (pretend you're on "The Amazing Race"). Of course you're welcome, with fragrant open arms.
    I wish I could, but it looks like I may be stuck with my 2:30 arrival time. Is there any way I could join all of you for the L'Artisan visit? That is the main perfume house I would like to visit. Plus (blushing at my greed), the free goodies are extremely tempting. I have even been researching L'Artisan to make a possible purchase.

Here are two maps that will help you navigate "The Magnificent Mile," as Chicago's shopping corridor is known. (Map 1) (Interactive, Map 2)

Here's a link to mass-transmit options: RTA.
    Thank you, Quarry. That information is very helpful! I plan on having quite an adventure.

I have a friend who will be in Chicago at the same time who has offered to pick me up at the airport and deliver me to perfume mecca, the perfume lover's mothership, if you will. I can promise to bring along my Ava Luxe samples to share (she offers hopefully ;-) ).

Ooooh, would I be the attendee from the farthest distance away? I am in the Central Valley of California, hay fever capital of the world.
    Last edited by Pebbles; 13th May 2007 at 02:51 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    I wish I could, but it looks like I may be stuck with my 2:30 arrival time. Is there any way I could join all of you for the L'Artisan visit? That is the main perfume house I would like to visit. Plus (blushing at my greed), the free goodies are extremely tempting. I have even been researching L'Artisan to make a possible purchase.

Thank you, Quarry. That information is very helpful! I plan on having quite an adventure.

I have a friend who will be in Chicago at the same time who has offered to pick me up at the airport and deliver me to perfume mecca, the perfume lover's mothership, if you will. I can promise to bring along my Ava Luxe samples to share (she offers hopefully ;-) ).

Ooooh, would I be the attendee from the farthest distance away? I am in the Central Valley of California, hay fever capital of the world.
    I think you'll win the greatest-distance-traveled honor.

Since the second congregation will be meeting at L'Artisan at 2:00, you can probably still bask in the glow if you get there around 3:00-3:30. Have your chauffeur calculate for the Memorial Day Parade I just learned about. Please plaster on some kind of nametag for yourself, ideally with your avatar, basenotes username and real first name so we and L'Artisan staff can recognize you. Hope you get a tail wind!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Trioxin is unfortunately out. Since someone else beat me to it, my request off work has been denied. Hope everyone else has fun though. Sniff a few for me.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trioxin View Post
    Trioxin is unfortunately out. Since someone else beat me to it, my request off work has been denied. Hope everyone else has fun though. Sniff a few for me.
    I'm so sorry to hear that, Trioxin.

Hey, gang, I've had a rough few days dental-wise (at least the pain has finally been abated by a pulpectomy ), which has made me behind with work and also need to squeeze in a root canal ASAP. So, if I don't post for a bit, it's just because I'm takin' care of business. Will be posting a recap list of details for everybody by this weekend.
    Last edited by Quarry; 15th May 2007 at 02:06 PM.

I'd like to join in if it is not too late and there is enough space.
    and reserve a luncheon spot for me.

Jam

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jam View Post
    I'd like to join in if it is not too late and there is enough space.
    and reserve a luncheon spot for me.

Jam
    Yay! Yes! Start stretching your spritzing finger and tie on a bib!

EDIT:

I will be attending after all, as I'm just dropped that accounting class that got on my nerves. I've got my hotel room for Chicago booked, and I'm ready to sniff!
    Last edited by MFfan310; 20th May 2007 at 02:06 AM.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Taking into consideration those who stated a preference, ganging POLers with fellow POLers, and MUAers with fellow MUAers (as much as I'm aware of your affiliations), and keeping my chauffeur at my side, then falling back on alpha order by username (are you following all this?), I've divvied us up into the two following two clans:

Those who report to the L'Artisan boutique at 10 a.m. are:
    Paul G
    MFfan310
    MFfan310's mom
    Michelle Gale
    Cindyhtl (cancelled)
    dali67
    Gingele
    Indie Guy
    Jam
    Lauermar
    Lauermar's daughter
    The Refined One
    The Refined One's guest

Those who report to the Bigelow shop at 10 a.m. are:
    LisaLaw
    LisaLaw's guest
    Manic Boy
    Manic Boy's girlfriend
    Nattygold
    Aramanis
    PrincessCaro
    Snakesandladders (cancelled)
    Snakesandladders' wife (cancelled)

Ubuandibeme
    Ubuandibeme's guest
    Kotori
    Quarry

If you have any problems with these assignments, PLMK.
    At noon, everybody convenes at Tucci Benucch except Ubuandibeme & guest, who have opted out. Paul G and Nattygold--are you in for lunch?
    After lunch, the blue group heads to Bigelow and the green group waddles down to L'Artisan. At some point in the afternoon, we will see someone streaking into L'Artisan--this will be Pebbles, fresh from the airport.

(WHOOPS--just found The Refined One's note about catching a plane in the afternoon, so will move her up into the blue group and shuffle Lisa down into the green group.)
    Last edited by Quarry; 22nd May 2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Attachment 158
    YOUR TRAVEL CHECK LIST:

[_] Nametag (of your own construction)
    [_] List of scents you want to try
    [_] Lunch money (approx. $27)
    [_] Camera
    [_] Phone #s
    (Quarry's cell: 262-894-1188)

[_] Map to 900 N. Michigan, home to:
    .... • Bloomingdales
    .... • L'Artisan (Charla, ph # 312-787-7788)
    .... • L'Occitane
    .... • Tucci Benucch (Katie, ph # 312-266-2500)

[_] Map to Water Tower Place, home to:
    .... • Macy's
    .... • C.O. Bigelow (Bryan, ph # 312-642-0551)
    .... • Filene's Basement

[_] Maps to other shops you may visit on your own:
    .... • Hermes Boutique
    .... • Chanel Boutique
    .... • etc.
    ***GO BACK ONE PAGE IN THIS THREAD TO SEE TO
    WHICH BOUTIQUE YOU HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED***
    Last edited by Quarry; 9th June 2007 at 01:58 AM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Chicago will be conducting its Memorial Day Parade along State Street on Saturday,
    commencing at noon, and running from Randolph to Van Buren.
    If your travel plans include crossing these streets, plan accordingly.

Thanks ~ see you there!

Regrettably, I am not going to be able to make it now due to a change in my schedule at work.

Wooo-hoooo!! Can't wait to go sniffing! See you there!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyhtl View Post
    Regrettably, I am not going to be able to make it now due to a change in my schedule at work.
    Ahh, bummer, Cindy.

I'm sorry, I too will not be able to attend. My school schedule has changed and it makes it too difficult to get out there this weekend.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snakesandladders View Post
    I'm sorry, I too will not be able to attend. My school schedule has changed and it makes it too difficult to get out there this weekend.

Okay, kids -- Due to cancellations, we have room at the luncheon for three late-joiners. Put out the word -- it's not too late to join in the fun!

Will see you Saturday. Thanks for the checklist, it will be helpful.
    I am in the first group--Are we meeting in front of L'Artisan -First Floor at 900 Michigan Ave?

Taking the train, but the schedule is awful. So I got to decide whether to be SuperHero and try to get to 900 Mich Ave from Union station in one-half hour; or use my imagination and hang out for two hours before the 10 am meeting time.

Cheers,
    Jam

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jam View Post
    Will see you Saturday. Thanks for the checklist, it will be helpful.
    I am in the first group--Are we meeting in front of L'Artisan -First Floor at 900 Michigan Ave?

Taking the train, but the schedule is awful. So I got to decide whether to be SuperHero and try to get to 900 Mich Ave from Union station in one-half hour; or use my imagination and hang out for two hours before the 10 am meeting time.

Cheers,
    Jam
    Right-o! The L'Artisan boutique isn't all that large, which is why Charla asked us to break into two groups, so just linger near its entrance and I'm sure the rest of your group will coagulate with you.

Perhaps some of us who expect to arrive on scene early could plan to meet at a nearby coffee shop. My chauffeur, Kotori, said there was some such place. I need her or others familiar with the area to suggest where we could congregate prior to 10 a.m.
    --------------------------------------

A D D I T I O N A L . P L A C E S . T O . C O N G R E G A T E

Here other some locations suggested by Kotori for those who want to arrange to gather elsewhere besides the boutiques:

Corner Bakery at 900 N. Michigan. Saturday hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Four Seasons Hotel "The Cafe" at 120 E. Delaware Place. Saturday hours: 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.

Bloomingdales "B Cafe" (6th floor). Saturday hours: 10 a.m. until half hour before store closing.

There's also a Ghirardelli shop/restaurant at 830 N. Michigan if anyone's interested in a non-alcoholic after-glow. Hours: 10 a.m. to midnight.
    Last edited by Quarry; 23rd May 2007 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Just wanted to add that Barney's, which is on the corner of Oak and...Rush?...has some wonderful, hard-to-find perfumes. They have Serge Lutens, Fresh, Suzanne Lang, Diptyque, Rosine, etc. Check it out if you have time!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Princess -- looks like we'll lack for nothing in the way of access to brands.

:brolly:

WEATHER NOTICE

Looks like we may get some thunderstorms.

Pack your umbrella and wear shoes you don't mind getting wet.

Ok I'm out for lunch and am going to have trouble joining before 1pm (have to take a parent to the doctor). If someone wouldn't mind sending me a cell phone number via pm or I could send mine first, I'd love to be able to join one of the groups. If you someone doesn't mind sending me one, I should be good to go/be downtown byt 1 or so. If anyone could I would appreciate it. Sorry to be a pain, things have been flying around here.
    Last edited by Paul G; 25th May 2007 at 02:36 AM.

I have bad news... It looks like I'm not going to be able to make it. I just found out that there are some things wrong with my car, so I doubt I'll be able to make the drive. I'm so sorry and I was REALLY looking forward to this!

Hope you guys have a lot of fun, I'll be thinking about you!

Sending my best wishes and hoping you'll have as great a time as we had in London in February.

Enjoy yourselves! :wave:
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darόber muss man schreiben."

Looks like I will also be hanging out a while ... I'm taking Metra in from the western suburbs (beats filling my gas tank for $52) which puts me in the city at about 8:40 ... if folks decide to meet up somewhere for coffee in the morning, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll be at the closest coffee place ...or possibly the Four Seasons Hotel, which I'm sure has a fabulous gift shop.
    One more thing - and I apologize if this is already posted - but there is a handy downloadable map of shops/points of interest at www.themagnificentmile.com. I mentioned the gift shop of the Four Seasons Hotel in my last post, but many of the hotels in that area have unique (high-end) goods:

Four Seasons - 120 East Delaware Place
    Ritz Carlson - 160 East Pearson St. at Water Tower Place
    W Hotel-Lakeshore, 644 N. Lake Shore Drive
    The Peninsula Chicago, 108 E. Superior St.
    Hard Rock Hotel, 230 N. Michigan Ave.
    Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, 20 E. Chestnut St.

The Chicago Tribune (www.chicagotribune.com) recently ran an editorial on the great shopping in the high-end hotels.
    Last edited by michelle_gale; 25th May 2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I hope you folks have a blast !

That L'Artisan is the one Ina Prouty works at...
    She's a great gal, very knowledgeable.
    Please extend my love to her by proxy...

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    I hope you folks have a blast !

That L'Artisan is the one Ina Prouty works at...
    She's a great gal, very knowledgeable.
    Please extend my love to her by proxy...
    Second this, I hope you guys have a great time.

By the way Chayaruchuma, welcome to Basenotes, good to see you here .

I did not know that Ina worked there, yes she is great, and please say hi to her for me too..
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Good luck you all and have a wonderful time with each other and the perfumes.

I am about to leave for the airport to catch a flight to Seattle, then off to Chicago in the morning! It still looks like I'll arrive at O'Hare at 2:30 p.m. Hopefully, God and traffic willing, I will make it to L'Artisan before the rest of you leave.

Or maybe I'll end up aimlessly wandering the streets of Chicago all alone, following my nose, searching for what my kids call my "imaginary internet friends." lol

Edited to add: Quarry, is it all right if I call your cell number (listed earlier in this thread) if I get lost or something? I'd be the caller with the 559 area code.
    Last edited by Pebbles; 25th May 2007 at 10:11 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    I am about to leave for the airport to catch a flight to Seattle, then off to Chicago in the morning! It still looks like I'll arrive at O'Hare at 2:30 p.m. Hopefully, God and traffic willing, I will make it to L'Artisan before the rest of you leave.

Or maybe I'll end up aimlessly wandering the streets of Chicago all alone, following my nose, searching for what my kids call my "imaginary internet friends." lol

Edited to add: Quarry, is it all right if I call your cell number (listed earlier in this thread) if I get lost or something? I'd be the caller with the 559 area code.
    Of course you can call me. I'm hoping the rain clouds will have dissipated by the time you fly in so you're cleared for a prompt landing.

By this time tomorrow you folks will no longer be imaginary internet friends.

I told Charla at L'Artisan that there would be one late arrival, and she said you would get full attention whenever you skid into the store.
    Last edited by Quarry; 25th May 2007 at 11:05 PM.

Have fun, you kids, and TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES! I'm soooo jealous!
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

And an important note to everyone that is gathering there for the event.

Please don't forget to wish HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the person that has organized this event to get everyone together.

Yes that is right QUARRY's Birthday is on the 26th.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY QUARRY
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Happy Birthday to Quarry!
    I am jealous and I wish I could participate in one of these meetings in the near future.

-------------------------------------
    To Quarry & the Chicago Scent Me crew:

Good luck today, I know you will all have a fabulous time! There is nothing quite so wonderful as spending time with others who share your passion. I have had the pleasure of meeting Charla Mason, and she is lovely. Quarry, you did a stellar job of organization. Believe me, I know how difficult all the coordinating can be...
    Give an extra spritz of Jatamansi for me!

Cheers,
    Karen Dubin
    Director, Sniffapalooza
    Last edited by Liongirl; 26th May 2007 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

summer means fireflys

Have fun to all attendees, I wish I coud join you ... I wish you safe travels, good weather, and fragrant smellings.

Quarry, you have done so much planning to get this together! I know everyone appreciates your hard work. Have a wonderful birthday!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Happy Birthday to Joy-ful Quarry - a fellow Gemini, and crackerjack BNer and principal organizer of today's Chicago Sniff-in!! Like MikePerez23 - I'm super jealous. Can't wait to hear all the news!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Red face Re: It's Official: Chicago L'Artisan to host us May 26!!!

Hello everyone. I'm Megan I was at the May 26th event in Chicago, I was the girl in the knee-highs the youngest girl there. Well I made an account on here but my mom sent a form in the mail so i can join but um.. I just wanted to thank everyone because I had a wonderful time at the event, it was a great time I loved the city and everything, well it was great meeting you all!

-Megan
    by the way this is my Mom's account not mine! And Im 11 years old and I will be 12 next year!

-Megan
    Last edited by lauermar; 26th May 2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    “The Unscented Life Is Not Worth Living.”
    Socrates
    (Re-worded by lauermar)

Quote Originally Posted by lauermar View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm Megan I was at the May 26th event in Chicago, I was the girl in the knee-highs the youngest girl there. Well I made an account on here but my mom sent a form in the mail so i can join but um.. I just wanted to thank everyone because I had a wonderful time at the event, it was a great time I loved the city and everything, well it was great meeting you all!

-Megan
    by the way this is my Mom's account not mine! And Im 11 years old and I will be 12 next year!

-Megan
    Hi Megan,

Welcome to Basenotes, glad you made the event and enjoyed it . I wasn't there, but hope I can find out more about the event. Hope somebody took pictures too.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by lauermar View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm Megan I was at the May 26th event in Chicago, I was the girl in the knee-highs the youngest girl there....
    by the way this is my Mom's account not mine! And Im 11 years old and I will be 12 next year!...-Megan
    Welcomewelcome to our Baby BaseNoter Megan!!! (Well, not really a baby.) This is major cool. Hope your Mom will let you post if you've a mind - always love to hear what a different generation has to offer!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Congratulations on the first successful (?) BN meeting, Quarry! Sorry I could not make it. For everybody interested: I planned to attend, love the Windy City and went to school at ISU working on my MD, but family circumtances -- DH's grandpa -- forced our IL trip at the end of April, so going up there in May was out of question.

Please tell us all more: what you guys sniffed and got, how "the gang" was, any funnies?

And belated Happy Birthday to Joy!

I had a wonderful time on Saturday! I learned so much and sniffed to my heart's content. Thanks so much, Quarry (Joy), for organizing this event. I hope you had a wonderful birthday!