Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default UK perfumers: Sources for Perfumers Alcohol??

I cannot seem to be able to source TBA / perfumer's alcohol in the UK.

My local chemist says I need to try through a big chemist in town or contact head office! It is all very frustrating. I have searched on line for hours with no luck.

Can someone help me please?
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: UK perfumers: Sources for Perfumers Alcohol??

is there a preference for using TBA instead of EtOH (Ethanol/grain alcohol)? Or is the UK like the USA in terms of the (extensive) restrictions it puts on EtOH? Actually, in the US, in some states one can obtain a fairly pure EtOH (everclear grain alcohol - 190 proof), however the dept. of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms won't let one use it for cosmetics because it's taxed as a liquor. Seems quite archaic and kafkaesque to me....

anyway, i happen to have a passing interest in this as i'm going to be formulating (and perhaps marketing) some skin care products....though not necessarilly frags.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Blog Entries

Wow! "Ask and ye shall receive..."
    Have found sourced a supplier and have prices. Boy, this stuff is expensive in smaller quantities!

Are there any other HM R&C registered UK perfumers here interested in a split?

Let me know.
    Last edited by moondeva; 17th April 2007 at 02:56 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

however the dept. of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms won't let one use it for cosmetics because it's taxed as a liquor. Seems quite archaic and kafkaesque to me....
    The new name of the (U.S.) Federal agency regulating alcohol is now the Trade and Tax Bureau (TTB).

The Federal government does not having any prohibition on using tax-paid alcohol in the manufacture of fragrances for sale. That there is a prohibition is a myth.
    Last edited by dcampen; 19th June 2007 at 12:19 AM.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Can't help you there, man. I can get it easily here in the U.S. though.
    "Stars when you shine you know how I feel,
    Scent of the crime you know how I feel,
    Your freedom is mine, and I know how I feel
    Its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me
    And I'm feelin good"

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/11718

Hi, I am having the same problem finding perfumers alcohol. Where did you find it in the end?

You can order from De Hekserij (www.hekserij.nl), "cosmetisch haarwater" - a alcoholic perfume base is not at the international pricelist, but it will be shipped to the UK. You can email for more information.

Thank you for that. In the meantime I have sourced some from www.essentially-me.co.uk. But I will certainly keep this contact for future reference.

I never knew there was a perfumers alcohol, so what you are saying is use ethanol? what is TBA?, I am in US where do I buy the ethanol alcohol, lol sounds like gasoline to me.
    thanks in advance

It is usualy alcohol intended to use for perfume. It is usualy about 95% ethanol + denaturants that have no or little smell.

I am no expert in this. I only make one fragrance for a handful of people who love it. So this is the link to the perfume base I bought. http://www.essentially-me.co.uk//pro....php?prod=Base

Has anyone ever used this site?

http://www.mistralni.co.uk/
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Yes. They were helpful and delivered fast. It appeared to be clear, non smelling alcohol in a plastic container, but as I have never bought the stuff before, I cannot tell you much else. I did get a large amount as I was intending to sell some of it. PM me if you would like to share some. We may be near to each other.

Thanks for your reply Mumsy, and for your kind offer. I'll certainly bear it in mind.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by janmeut View Post
    You can order from De Hekserij (www.hekserij.nl), "cosmetisch haarwater" - a alcoholic perfume base is not at the international pricelist, but it will be shipped to the UK. You can email for more information.
    Sadly Hekserij are not able to ship this stuff to the UK any longer. However I can recommend them for other supplies that they can ship.

Quote Originally Posted by lorraine doron View Post
    Thank you for that. In the meantime I have sourced some from www.essentially-me.co.uk. But I will certainly keep this contact for future reference.
    I have tried this and must warn you that it is not odourless - it is ethanol that has had a selection of essential oils added to it, it is dark brown in colour and has a very distinctive odour. That isn't to say that you can't use it, but be aware of what you'll be getting. Shipping is also very expensive - I collected mine in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Persolaise View Post
    Has anyone ever used this site?

http://www.mistralni.co.uk/
    I have and I can recommend their product as long as you are happy with the additives they use. The product is odourless, clear and works extremely well as the isopropyl myristate it contains helps to keep some of the more difficult ingredients in solution. Shipping is reasonable because they have a good deal with the HazMat couriers they use for their core business and because of the extra additives you don't need an HMRC licences to use it. However if you are trying to make all-natural perfumes then it won't be any use to you for the same reason.

Hope this helps.

As this comes up so often could we have this as a sticky thread please?
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Quite true, but because the title seems to be about something else, new ones keep being created - and the other one does have all the options in it, but it's quite hard work to find them: this one is short sweet and to the point.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.