Code of Conduct

Default Another fragrance expedition.

I made the trek to Scottsdale to avail myself of the selections at Neiman's et al. Seeking something aromatic and dry, but light enough for the office and the summer heat.

Rive Gauche really seems to be gone. Oh well.

AdP Colonia opened up nice, but like other classic colognes the drydown turns unpleasant on my skin.

Dior Homme opened up wonderfully, what is that light note at the beginning? Didn't seem like citrus, something floral? I had high hopes for this one but it turned into a sweet and soft oriental on the drydown.

Terre d'Hermes reminds me a lot of the original Orange Verte, but without the drydown problem I have with colognes. The SA smelled it on my skin without knowing what I'd sprayed on and for a moment I was worried I wouldn't get my arm back; She really loved it. I liked it enough to go back later for a small bottle: it is dry and greenly aromatic, without making you smell like an orange or a lemon or bag of lawnmower clippings.

The new Gucci PH2 was sold out at Neiman's, but I was able to sample it: kind of like an indistinctly fruit-flavored Snapple. The palette of the bottle and juice are lovely but don't match the fragrance IMO.

YSL L'Homme: "Yuck," was my first impression. Indistinct and unpleasant. I didn't feel compelled to try it again, and I felt gratified that I hadn't bought a bottle blind.

Bulgari Red Tea was suprisingly nice, dry and fragrant. It reminded me of the scent of a teabag once you remove it from your cup. Interesting, but I can't see wanting to smell like tea.

The day before my expedition I asked a beautiful young woman of my acquiantance what she would give a guy as a gift, and she was adamant in nominating Ken Cole Reaction - something I normally wouldn't even spend anytime sampling. Amusingly, it is actually fairly well composed, very smooth and modestly fruit sweet, with light spice folded into the melon. It reminds me of watermelon bubblegum, the kind of perfume I would associate with 12 year old girls if it weren't being marketed to men in a Kenneth Cole boutique. And as she said when praising it, "it doesn't smell like cologne." Next to my Equipage and TdH, it either reflects a huge generational gap in taste (I'm only about 10 years older than her), the sheer power of marketing, or the twilight of distunctly masculine fragrance with the younger generations in the US.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Another fragrance expedition.

Does your Neimans stock the 'Hedi Slimane' inspired colognes for Dior? If so, try 'Eau Noire' by Dior next time. It fits the bill: DRY, splash strength [great for summer] and aromatic [has a positively glamorous celery seed note in it, that dazzles me]. Kinda pricey though...

And, yes, if you don't own TdHermes - you should. It gets even better in the full on summer heat (really earthy and 'grassy').

Steer clear of the K. Cole...really bad.

LOL over the K Cole.

No this Neiman doesn't have those Diors or even Creed it seems, but I have decanted them in the past. I found Noire to be an interesting comfort scent, but the imortelle made it a bit too challenging to wear.
    Last edited by Carlos; 17th April 2007 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Dior Homme opened up wonderfully, what is that light note at the beginning? Didn't seem like citrus, something floral?
    Thats the Iris
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Blog Entries

Don't let people talk you out of the Reaction. It's not very well-liked on this site because of its rather poor longevity & general dislike of the Kenneth Cole label. But Reaction really is a diamond in the rough.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Thats the Iris
    Really, it wasn't like what I remember from Hiris, Bois d'Argent, or Coeur d'Homme. Those seemed more stemmy than floral. Maybe I need revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    Don't let people talk you out of the Reaction. It's not very well-liked on this site because of its rather poor longevity & general dislike of the Kenneth Cole label. But Reaction really is a diamond in the rough.

I'm with you Cologne Junkie...I've been singing the praises of this one for a while. The deal with Reaction is that WOMEN LIKE IT. It's probably my number one compliment catalyst (women), and that's in contrast to a lot of colognes I wear that cost 5x as much. I don't think the womens' interest is an age issue...my teenage daughter, wife in her fifties, and professional women in their 20's, 30's, 40's, & 50's seem to like it, based upon their comments.

P.S. - New York and Black are pretty good too.

Best Regards,
    Mike