Code of Conduct

Default New Jala St. Barth and Lily

Calypso St. Barth, the company that makes the legendary Léa, recently released a fruity floral called Lily, and reformulated their formerly lush, heady, tropical Jala into a light floral. I received samples of both, and of the two, I would most likely purchase Lily. It's not a lily scent, to my nose, so I imagine it's named after someone, like Léa and Jala. Jala now smells like another fragrance that I can't place...I think it's Windsong. Lily is very, very pretty. A nice summer scent; delicate and cool. The lasting power isn't great, but I will consider it for purchase for hot weather, when fragrances last much longer on my skin. I think that while I "like" Lily now, she's going to "grow" on me, and make me love her. I don't think that Jala will, sadly. Unfortunately I loved the old Jala.
    Last edited by Tovah; 18th April 2007 at 02:40 PM.

Default Re: New Jala St. Barth and Lily

I can't understand why they would change JALA! It was so unique & lush. Now I wish I had purchased 2 bottles of the older version! This is exactly why I go nuts and start buying back-up bottles of the scents I love.

Don't I know it? Ridiculous. I really cannot imagine why they changed Jala so radically either. A tweak here and there...but this is a completely different scent. I'm so glad you got your big bottle when you did. Beautyhabit still has the old bottle, but they're also still charging full price!

Jala's changed???!!!

And me with only a sample from LuckyScent in the "Must Buy Full Bottle" pile. (sound of gunshot)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

New day, new perspective.

Okay. So they've changed Jala. I loved the old Jala, and my immediate reaction to the new Jala stemmed from my resentment of the powers that be who have the ability to change fragrances I love. Not a good attitude. *slaps self upside head*

So-
    I'm updating my original, biased, negative viewpoint. I've got the new Jala on my wrists right now, and, I have to say, it's a beautiful fragrance. It's a very, very, very feminine floral that does not smell tropical at all, to me. It strongly reminds me of something from the 1970s and I can't place it; which is frustrating as hell.

But, I love the new Jala. I can't stop sniffing myself. This is a complex perfume with very fine essences and pure, clean notes. Achingly beautiful, really. And I'm sure I smell linden!

If I could just remember what it's reminding me of...

I know how much you like linden, I'm glad you had a change of heart about the new version.
    I do mourn the old formula because it's rare to find a tropical scent that does not smell like suntan lotion, coconut or pina colada (don't get me wrong I like those kind of scents too!). I guess the original JALA did not make the company enough $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    I do mourn the old formula because it's rare to find a tropical scent that does not smell like suntan lotion, coconut or pina colada...
    Tink, I think you're going to like Calypso St. Barth's new Lily. It's tropical but definitely not Coppertone. have you tried Patricia de Nicolai's Juste un Reve or Exotique Eau Fraiche?
    Last edited by Tovah; 21st April 2007 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    Tink, I think you're going to like Calypso St. Barth's new Lily. It's tropical but definitely not Coppertone. have you tried Patricia de Nicolai's Juste un Reve or Exotique Eau Fraiche?
    I haven't tried those yet, I seem to have bad luck with the PdN line They vanish on me!
    Yesterday the saleslady stuck a sample of Michael Kors Island Hawaii in my bag & I'm LOVING it! I had absolutely no expectation for it because I don't like the other scents in his tropical theme.

I see this thread has actually been around for awhile, but i am so excited that someone else has tried 'Lily' and loves it as much as i do.....it is one of my absolute fragrances ever and my go-to scent for summer months. :bounce:

Thanks for reviving this thread. I'm going to put Lily and the new Jala on my "must sample" list!

please do, i cannot express how much i love 'Lily'....i tried 'Lea', but it just smelled like an eraser that i had when i was little. i know that sounds weird, but my sister and i used to collect funny shaped erasers and this one was shaped like a tube of lipstick....back to 'Lily', i have not found any scent that compares to it. its nice because nobody else really knows about it so for my group its unique! juicy and tart, sweet and a little bit musky.