Code of Conduct

Default Newbie trying to find a fragrance that's woody but sweet

I'm new here and have been lurking awhile. I really enjoy this site and the forums, such a wealth of information I was hoping that I could get some help finding a fragrance.

I'm looking for a fragrance and have been searching basenotes for fragrances with ingredients I like (vanilla, sandalwood, bergamot) and have also been in several shops trying out different scents. I'm 26 years and want a scent that's "me", independent, ambitious and not too girly. I like wood notes, vanilla, violet, hints of rose and bergamot. I don't like too flowery or overly sweet smells.
    My current wardrobe consists of one (!) perfume, Dervish by GothRosary, which is a simple, but in my opinion wonderful, smell of vanilla, sandalwood and musk.

I haven't been able to find _the_ scent yet and I was hoping that someone here could give me some suggestions. Perfumes I've tried and liked so far:
    * Calvin Klein, Euphoria - very nice smell, liked it a lot, but didn't fell for it completely
    * Dolce & Gabbana, The one - very nice at first but became to "thick" and heavy after a while, too much musk and made me nauseous after a few hours
    * Calvin Klein, Truth - after the initial cooldown, very nice, sweet and woody, but a little to simple, only smelled wood and vanilla after a while

After two days of sampling perfumes, I've realized that I don't like too much musk and that most perfumes with a woody tone have a very strong musk tone and I would like something a little more "fresh".

Pefumes I tried and didn't like:
    * DKNY Be Delicious was nice but too flowery for my taste.
    * Lacoste Inspiration was ok, but a little boring and too simple.
    * Lacoste Touch of Pink was too sweet.
    * Chanel Chance smelled too much like my mother
    * D&G Light Blue was too citrusy.

I hope this post wasn't too long and boring, I just wanted to give as much information as possible. I would very much appriciate any help you could give me. I hope to be able to contribute to this forum in the future and get to know you guys!
    --------------------------------------
    I forgot to add... In the past my perfumes have been:
    * Dewberry from Body Shop was my favorite in my teens (Top: Cassis, Grapefruit, Apple, and Pear. Heart: Freesia, Muguet, Rose, and Jasmine. Base: Peach, Apricot, Cedarwood, and Musk.)
    * Calvin Klein one, but I got tired of it very soon.
    * Jean-Paul Gaultier, summer scent, the flowery bottle, can't find it's name.
    * Calvin Klein Contradiction body lotion, the perfume was too strong, but I loved the scent o the body lotion.
    Last edited by Wearw; 13th April 2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Re: Newbie trying to find a fragrance that's woody but sweet

Hi there Wearw and welcome to Basenotes!
    Bearing in mind the notes that you love (Vanilla, Bergamot and Sandalwood)
    may I suggest you try the following:-
    Cristobal (one of my favourites with fig and all the other notes you love)
    Prada (the new one)
    Roma (Lovely bergamot opening with blackcurrant buds and a woodsy/vanilla drydown to die for)
    Diorella - just because....
    Happy sniffing.

I wonder if you might like Samsara by Guerlain.It's a lot of Sandalwood in that one.Another woody scent you should try is Shiseido's Feminite du bois.

One of the Serge Lutens should suit you - there are many woody delights.

Rousse is the new one. It's a little cinnamonish, a touch of floral, and very woody, but light and fresh (at least one me).

Miel de Bois is very woody and very sweet. It lives up to its name: honeyed wood. It is also remarkably tenacious.

Bois de Vanille may be perfect for you (woods and vanilla plus a touch of coconut) but I found it didn't live long on my skin, so I bought Miel de Bois instead.

I also believe one of Serge Lutens woody scents will be perfect for you.

Rousse by Serge Lutens is a non gourmand cinnamon, violet, cedarwood, sandalwood, vanilla, amber, it 's very elegant, has depth and personality and it 's very sexy too

the second best would be Bois Oriental; cedarwood, soft spice and vanilla balm
    (Bois Oriental is only sold at les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in Paris, you can order it or ask for the wax samples at:

http://www.salons-shiseido.com/angla...arfums-eb2.htm

Un Bois Vanille is also a possibility but I m afraid this one might be a little too sweet for you although it 's a dry wood and a non foody vanilla

Santal de Mysore is a stunning straight-up sandalwood; also available at les salons du Palais Royal Shiseido:

http://www.salons-shiseido.com/angla...arfums-eb1.htm
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 13th April 2007 at 02:13 PM.
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

I'm 'thirding' (?) the Serge Lutens suggestions, and adding an oddball one of my own: Bois Farine, L'Artisan (It's totally different from anything out there, IMHO, but you may like it).

I'm a woody person, here.
    By "woody" do you mean patchouli or sandalwood?
    Many (if not most) of the fragrances in my wardrobe contain one or both of these substances because they make a perfume smell "great" as opposed to merely "good" on me.

All of the following fragrances are sweet:

Patchouli (earthy, like leaves in autumn) - Ayala Moriel Palas Atena, and Film Noir, Caron Parfum Sacre, Estee Lauder Knowing, Les Parfums de Rosine Une Folie de Rose, L'Artisan Parfumeur Voleur de Rose, Montale Patchouli Leaves, Mauboussin, Yves Rocher Rose Absolu

Sandalwood (dry, sometimes a bit smoky) - Diptique Tam Dao, Etro Sandalo, Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo, Guerlain Samsara, Montale Attar

Myrrh - (full, resinous, incensey) - Madini Sahara

Oud (which is bitter, perhaps too challenging) - Montale Black Aoud, and Aoud Queen Rose, Guerlain Mitsouko

Vetiver (which is woody but grassy) - Montale Vetiver des Sables, L'Artisan Parfumer Vetiver, Editions de Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire

Cedar (aromatic wood) - Serge Lutens Un Cedre, Gres Cabaret

Take a look at my wardrobe. PM me.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 13th April 2007 at 09:02 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

A big welcome to you, Wearw. It sounds like you're on the right track, isolating which notes you favor and which you don't. As my husband reminds me, the journey is the joy, so even if you don't find your holy grail scent right away, enjoy your exploration and be open to new things.

I second ineespene's suggestion for Shiseido's Feminite du Bois. Don't be put off by its being out of production, it's still available.

Hope you continue to share your thoughts and wishes with us.
    Last edited by Quarry; 13th April 2007 at 03:10 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hi Wearw. I second Feminite du Bois too but it is not so accessible in Asia anymore, you may to consider Bois des Îles, this is very well made and I fell for it as soon as I smell it from the Chanel boutique. It is woody (from the sandalwood), gourmandy (from the tonka beans and vanilla) and yet tangy spicy note to it.

Good luck with your scent search!

Dior Dolce Vita. I don't know if it has woods, but to me it's cedary and sweet. Love it though

I think this strays a bit from the exact notes you mentioned, but what about Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental? On me it's earthy, woody green with chocolate--so much depth, very sophisticated.
    I tested a Susanne Lang last night that sounds like your description: Tamboti Wood, sweet, light, and woody.
    My nose often detects the exact opposite of what it should, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt (whiff of coffee beans?). I'm still learning.

you might wanna take a look at Jasmin de Nuit by different company.

"Egyptian jasmin, amber, blackcurrant, star anise, spices, cinammon, cardamom, sandalwood"

Blog Entries

Welcome Wearw,

Others have given some great suggestions and I apologise in advance if I annoy by resuggesting what has been before.

A few 'sweet, woody' feminine scents that I own, or have enjoyed in the past, include:

Chopard Mira Bai
    Moschino Couture!
    Gucci Eau de Parfum
    Dior Hypnotic Poison
    Guy Larouche Fidji
    Hugo Boss Hugo Deep Red
    Paul Smith Extreme
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair - only if you love lavender. The drydown is a sweet ambery woods
    Chanel Allure EDP
    TBS (Body Shop) Altaro
    TBS Woody Sandalwood
    TBS Japanese Musk
    Paul Smith Woman
    Paul Smith London Woman
    Christian Dior Dolce Vita EDP
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Dunhill Desire for a Woman
    Coty Wild Woods
    Givenchy Organza Indecence
    Arran Aromatics After the Rain
    Avon Rare Sapphires
    Fendi Theorema
    Cerruti 1881 Eau d'Ete (2003)
    Revlon Charlie (classic / blue)
    Gucci pour Homme
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles
    Must de Cartier EDT
    Serge Lutens Santal Blanc
    Ava Luxe Sweet Amber Wood
    Ava Luxe Chaos type (under vintage)
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    YSL NU EDP

Good Luck & Happy Sniffing!
    Last edited by moondeva; 13th April 2007 at 07:17 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Bois des Iles would be one to try.

Also, With Love by Hilary Duff might be one. It's sweet and woody and fairly easy to find.
    Last edited by MorganFay; 13th April 2007 at 08:46 PM.

NUITS De SCHERRER edp is a woody/almondy scent worth trying.

Talking Re: Newbie trying to find a fragrance that's woody but sweet

Wow, thank you everyone for all your answers and suggestions! You're all very sweet and helpful. Thank you!

I was out again today, sniffing away at all the perfumes with my husband (who instantly fell for Armani He for himself). I realized that I really enjoy Euphoria by Calvin Klein and I'm considering buying that one first. It's very good on my skin and last forever on me. I need to start somewhere
    Do you guys think that Euophoria could suit me? Does it suit someone my age (26)? I read some reviews that said that it was better for a bit older women. I want an every day scent, that works both with every day wear of black jeans and a casual top, and an evening dress.

I also liked Emporio Armani She and She Remix. I tried She Remix on my skin but it faded in a few hours, while Euphoria on my other wrist still smells wonderfully now, many hours later.
    I tried Hypnotic Poison which my sister loves, but it was a bit too sweet to my taste, it's possible that it's less sweet after a cooldown, I only tried it on paper.

I've seen Prada (new), Diorella and Samsara mentioned a lot on basenotes and on the web when looking for scents similar to CK Euphoria, so I'm curious about them, but I didn't find them at the shop I was in today, but it isn't specialiced in perfumes. I'm going to look in the "real" perfume shop next time.

purplebird 7: By "woody" I meat the lighter woods, I like both sandalwood and cedarwood. I'm not very good at scents and picking out ingredients yet, but I'm learning

indiscreet, pierre obsidienne and Arhianrad: thank you all for telling me about Serge Lutens scents. It feels promising that you all suggested his smells and the vanilla and wood sounds great! Are any of his scents widely available or do they need to be ordered?

Quarry, thank you for reminding me that the journey is something to be enjoyed. My husband is travelling overseas tomorrow for a week and I wanted him to buy a perfume for me in the airport taxfree shops on his way back, that would knock of at least 30% of the price. That's why I'm searching extra intensly right now.

Once again, thank you everyone for your help. I'll keep you posted on which ones I liked. Maybe that will help others with the same taste I know that it really helps me to read what others enjoy with similar tastes.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wearw View Post
    Do you guys think that Euophoria could suit me?
    Disregard any age references. If something really speaks to you, that's it.
    At first I enjoyed my Euphoria sample, but after wearing it a second and third day, its never-say-die basenotes wore out their welcome on me, lingering not just 24 hours later, but 24 hours plus a shower later. But that could just be me.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

While you're disregarding age references, do the same for gender and try some men's fragrances. Givenchy Very Irresistible for Men has notes of Mint, Grapefruit Peel, Mocha, and Hazelenut wood. It's quite nice.
    Last edited by Eryn; 14th April 2007 at 01:17 AM.

Wearw - Several stores in London stock Lutens so you might find some department stores in Stockholm that do.

Also, try www.lessenteurs.com - you can order samples from there so you can try before you buy. Note that only the export range are available outside of Paris, but I'd recommend getting samples of Un Bois de Vanille, Miel de Bois, Rousse (not listed on the website yet but they do have it) and Cedre, plus I'd also recommend getting a sample of Musc Ravageur, which also contains woods, spices and vanilla.

Hypnotic Poison is definitely one to try on your own skin. The initial blast is quite sweet but on me it dries down to something a lot more tasteful and understated. I like it a lot.

Hi and welcome Wearw!

My all time favourite with vanilla,sandalwood, bergamot is Must de Cartier.
    Cristobal Balenciaga or Shalimar might fit the bill, too.
    A lovely cheapo by Yves Rocher, patchouly woody vanilla: Parfum Cocoon
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Geez, Wearw, you've got a boatload of things to try.
    Get crackin'.
    And report back. We wanna know.

the first one that came to my mind was herrera for men....yum!
    po-tee-weet?

Welcome to the board, Wearv!

Many suggestions... Not so many of them avaliable in the perfume-stores in Sweden... These I think you can find in the stores in our little country:

Cristobal
    Prada
    Roma
    Gucci EdP
    Dior Hypnotic Poison
    Hugo Boss Deep Red
    Paul Smith Woman
    Paul Smith London Woman
    Christian Dior Dolche Vita
    Givenchy Organza Indecence
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Must de Cartier EdT

My favs of these are Cristobal, Prada and Roma.

There is also Prada Tendre...

Good Luck in your hunting for the only one perfume!
    Last edited by Margareta; 14th April 2007 at 04:04 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Once again a big thank you to everyone who are giving me suggestions. You're really friendly and helpful!

I've been sniffing on perfumes four days in a row now, trying to find one I like. I spray on the test strips, write down the names, and within a few minutes I usually have a whole bunch. I get some weird looks from people, especially for writing down all the names on the strips, but otherwise I get confused within minutes about which is which. After waiting several minutes and smelling all the strips over and over again, I usually take the two best ones and try them on each wrist.

My skin has interesting effects on many perfumes, every perfume get a very sweet smell, almost every perfume gets a very strong vanilla scent on my skin. My skin is also able to hold on to certain perfumes forever, more than 24 hours and two showers.

Short notes on the perfumes I've tried the last days, so far:
    (I hope I don't offend anyone who loves any of these scents, these are just my impressions and what I think of these perfumes on me, they might smell lovely on someone else.)

On skin:
    Escada, Magnetism - Very short lasting. Mostly vanilla on skin.
    Gucci, Envy Me - Liked the pomegranade in this one. Didn't last very long, became a vanilla scent after two hours.
    Donna Karan, Cashmere Mist - Becomes a warm creamy vanilla on my skin. Nice but boring.
    Armani, She Remix - Nice scent. Amazingly similar to Euphoria on my skin, but much simpler.
    Calvin Klein, Truth - Nice, became a nice blend of vanilla and wood that suited my skin, but it was only vanilla and wood, so a bit boring.
    Calvin Klein, Euphoria - Best so far. Becomes a soft warm vanilla and wood-smell on my skin, with just a hint of floral. I'm afraid that I will get bored of it though. Amazing lasting power, two showers and 24 hours.
    Dolce & Gabbana, The One - Starts of very nicely, but after an hour or too, the musk got overwhelming and made me nauseous. Amazing lasting power, I really tried to get rid of this smell, but even two showers wasn't enough.
    DKNY, Be Delicious - Too much fruit and too flowery. Nice smell, even on my skin, but I'm not that girly flowery person.

On paper:
    Armani She - Nice, but nothing special. Preferred the She Remix.
    Kenzo Flower & Kenzo Amour - Boring and didn't appeal to me.
    Escada Sentiment - Nice but too sweet.
    Sarah Jessica Parker, Lovely - Nice but a bit of a sugarbomb and smells like a shampoo I had years ago.
    Hilary Duff, With love - Sugarbomb, not for me.
    Dior: Addict, Miss Dior, Dolce Vita - all these scents have a sharp scent that pierces the back of my nose and makes it itch, even after several hours. Dior is not a good perfume brand for me.
    Dior, Hypnotic Poison - Sugar bomb, too sweet.
    Armani, Mania for Women - No. Offensive to my nose.
    Dolce & Gabbana, Light Blue - Too much citrus.
    Dolce & Gabbana, Sicily - My first thought was a household cleaner. Didn't give it a second chance though.
    Robert Cavalli, Serpentine - Too much wood and musk. Too heavy.
    Lacoste, Inspiration - Nice, but boring.
    Lacoste, Touch of Pink - Too sugary sweet.
    Chanel, Chance - Too much "Chanel", smells too much like my mother.

I'm starting to feel a bit hopeless and very picky. I don't have a very refined nose, but obviously a much more specific taste than I though...
    I think that many of the perfumes smell almost identical - mass-produced sugarbombs with different flowers thrown in for good measure. Others just smell too much artificial perfume in some weird way.

I very much appriciate all your suggestions. I will start off with the ones that I can get hold of easily, and work my way up to the more expensive and hard-to-get ones later (like Serge Lutens, that will be a later project).

I will try to sniff on a few other suggestions you have given me in the next few days:
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere, Cristobal, Roma, Hugo Boss Deep red, Prada, Givenchy Organza Indecence, Must de Cartier, and last but not least, if I can find them: Guerlain Samsara, Chanel Bois des Îles

Wish me luck and patience!

Do try SJP Lovely on your skin before you leave it!

And if you find Guerlain, do try as many of them as you can, they are a very different style from Chanel. Perhaps you can like an "oldie" Guerlain without thinking of your mother... If you find SJP Lovely a sugarbomb on your skin as well, perhaps you will adore Mitsouko (Guerlain), who is less sweet. But don´t try Mitsouko on a paper, you will most probably not like it that way, do try it on your skin!

You can get yourself three or four perfumes, who is almost perfect, and then you can spray two of them on your skin to get what you really want. Some perfumes blends very well together.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Margareta; 14th April 2007 at 06:20 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Two of my favorites as previously mentioned by Moondeva are Chanel Bois des Iles and Givenchy Organza Indecence( which is almost impossible to find but totally worth the search).

Welcome, Wearw!

I echo the suggestions of most of the Lutens, Feminite du Bois, and a big YES to Donna Karan's Black Cashmere, too!

If you want to try something brand new and niche, Neil Morris Fragrances (www.neilmorrisfragrances.com) has just opened a retail line, and you can get samples for $3 each. One in particular, Quest, is a lovely woody fragrance that I anticipate is going to become an "all the time" scent for me.

Good luck, have fun, and happy sniffing!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Welcome, Wearw!

I echo the suggestions of most of the Lutens, Feminite du Bois, and a big YES to Donna Karan's Black Cashmere, too!

If you want to try something brand new and niche, Neil Morris Fragrances (www.neilmorrisfragrances.com) has just opened a retail line, and you can get samples for $3 each. One in particular, Quest, is a lovely woody fragrance that I anticipate is going to become an "all the time" scent for me.

Good luck, have fun, and happy sniffing!
    Welcome to the board, wearv and stella!

ComDiva, alas, from the site it seems that Neil Morris doesn't ship abroad I have sent them an email though, we'll see.

Another vote for Shiseido Feminité du Bois and any of her Lutens "Bois" offsprings here!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 15th April 2007 at 02:55 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Thumbs up Re: Newbie trying to find a fragrance that's woody but sweet

I totally concurr with the Feminite du Bois and Dior Dolce Vita being woody scents. To my nose - The DV is sweeter. I currently have the Feminite and Dolce Vita is on my re buy list. To my nose - the Feminite is 'spicier'. I prefer the Dolce slightly 'foodie' top note. It is great on a humid, steamy night!
    Happy hunting!

Another update on my sniffing experiences

Today I tried another bunch of perfumes, and I think I have a winner. Amazingly enough I fell completely for Hugo Boss, Deep red, thank you so much Margareta and moondeva for that suggestion. On my skin it becomes a deep warm scent, with just a tiny hint of vanilla, but mostly just warm wood with a sweet tinge to it. Like I've been out in the sun the whole day. Gorgeous smell!
    I've read some reviews where people think that it's too much fruit, but there's no fruit or flowery smell at all on me. The reaction with my skin is perfect.

After smelling Deep Red, my previous best choice, Euphoria, smells like a big bucket full of flowers and fruit, topped with sugar. Deep red smells much cleaner, fresh but warm and not too sweet. Wonderful!
    I'm going to try it several days (luckily I have a shop where I can test it on the way home every day, just five steps away from my regular route to the bus) to make sure that I still love it, before I buy it.

Today's adventures contained:
    Balenciaga , Cristobal - Nice sweet scent, after the initial cooldown. A bit to ladylike for me.
    Laura Biagiotti, Roma - Sweet but at the same time a bit citrusy. Nice but nothing I fell for.
    Prada, Prada - Too sweet. Didn't appeal to me.
    Prada, Prada tendre - Much better than the original Prada. A bit to flowery.
    Paul Smith, Extreme - No. Makes me eyes itch.
    Gucci, envy me - Nice, but a bit too much fruit. Liked it though.
    Chanel, No 19 - Too much Chanel.
    Angel - Weeiird I understand that it's a love/hate perfume. Didn't appeal to me.

I wasn't able to find:
    Givenchy - Organza Indecence
    Cartier - Must de Cartier
    Guerlain - Samsara
    Donna Karan - Black Cashmere
    Feminitè du Bois
    But I'll keep looking and try them if I find them. I have a big perfume shop I haven't been to yet.

Once again, a big Thank you*to everyone who have given with suggestions and advice. I'll keep you posted on my adventures in the perfume aisles

Please please please try when you're heading for Must de Cartier ALSO (better: before! *bg*) another, in my opinion THE Cartier gem "Le Baiser du Dragon" in both (EDP AND EdT) forms!! If you find Euphoria great but tooo... hm... and Angel too patch and HP too sweet but want serious wood with sweet drydown you might just be right in here. I myself prefer the EdT because there's not so much bitterness in the initial spray.

The notes are:

Top Notes
    Amaretto, Gardenia, Neroli,

Middle Notes
    Iris, Musk, Cedar, Bulgarian Rose,

Base Notes
    Vetiver, Patchouli, Benzoin, Amber

There might be another 'milky-sweet vanilla-woody' with a fascinating rice-note interesting for you: KenzoAmour. It is not so popular here but i do like it alot. It's only available in EdP but it's not very strong after drydown.
    Last edited by lillie; 19th April 2007 at 01:38 PM.
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/