Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

I tried Oude today. It is medicinal and reminds me of the Montale's Black Aoud which was my winter lemming. I enjoy the challenging fragrance and Oude is definately on unique type which is fairly masculine, grand-daddy and reminds me of the Chinese herbs shop which sells dried herbal medicine. The life-span of Oude lasted for 12 hours on my skin. The beginning of the scent is a robusted mix of sharp shavings of wood and then it turned into a liquorice smell which faintly has the resemblance to Sambuca. Oude is a lot rounder but also quite intense. I enjoy it very much and I would definately wear this if my Black Aoud bottle runs out :toppie:

Lotus for me today! Serene greens, subtle florals and a base of egyptian musk. Well blended with no "louder" floral dominating the lotus. I'm not sure I feel enlightened, but it is a calming relaxing scent indeed.

White Tea

I am an avid tea drinker. I drink black tea with (skimmed milk) – gallons of the stuff. At work, I drink green tea in the mornings and white tea (usually a cinnamon flavoured variety) in the afternoons.
    This does not smell like tea to me.
    I’ve tried L’Artisan Tea for Two and it was exactly like drinking a cup of Earl Grey. Not so this. White Tea, to me, smells like soap. From that perspective, it fulfils the clean/fresh category admirably. It just doesn’t fulfill the tea category very well.
    I was hoping that the soapiness would wear off after initial application and let the other notes shine through, but it merely becomes a softer soap.
    In its favour, it is long lasting, though it stays close to the skin. The scent, however, just does not work for me.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    Lotus for me today! Serene greens, subtle florals and a base of egyptian musk. Well blended with no "louder" floral dominating the lotus. I'm not sure I feel enlightened, but it is a calming relaxing scent indeed.
    I came THIS CLOSE to getting the Lotus sample, instead of my SOTD 'The Beach' - would you compare it to any other fragrance you've smelled before?

I don't think I know what lotus smells like??

For Musk day I am wearing White Pearl. If not for this "Ava Luxe week" I probably would have missed out on this one, which is unfortunate, because I love it! This is a future full bottle purchase. It's the perfect summertime musk for me. I can already picture myself reading by the pool, feeling cool and fresh as I smell White Pearl. Ava Luxe website says, "This musk is creamy soft, yet it has a feeling of crystal purity." I couldn't have said it better . This is simply lovely. Notes: Pearly Musk, White Sandalwood, Transparent Blossoms.

For bedtime last night I wore my Love's True Bluish Light roll-on and Love's True Bluish Light Stardust Body Lotion. I smelled gorgeous and had great dreams. I love Love's True Bluish Light. Love it.

Wild blackberry musk. I was SO looking forward to this one - and waddya know - it doesn't work on me. Strong burst of blackberries faded fast to a slightly wee-like smell (sorry) and then to nothing, really. Was hoping for a winner with this one but it and I do not agree. Onwards and upwards!

Blackberries are known for that, unfortunately. Jam on some people; cats' pee on others. Just goes to show you can't judge a perfume by the notes alone! Which is why weeks like this are great - I would never have chosen Gardenia Musk but got it as a freebie, and it's now on my to buy list, whilst two of my own picks just didn't work for me.

I shared Love’s True Bluish Light with many of you today and I believe it is a winner in Serena’s line-up. An incredibly buttery and intoxicating blend of vanilla and musk, with musk taking up the centre stage and drops of golden, sexy amber disappearing into the white. Excellent staying power on my skin. There’s something in the white musk Serena uses that just makes me want to sniff and sniff and sniff….

Now I am wearing Angel Face. The notes given on Ava Luxe website are powdery florals and white musk. I could swear I also smell almond in there, or is it heliotrope? Soft, light, delicate as a feather, it is reminiscent of less powdery, less assertive and less sweet Keiko Mecheri Loukoum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Blog Entries

Fresh / Clean or Light Musk day

Before I post my opinions I want to stress / highlight two main points:

1. I do not usually enjoy 'fresh', 'clean' or 'light musk' scents as they tend to either be too shrill / high pitched for my personal chemistry; or they are too soft, powdery and insipid, quickly disappearing once in contact with my skin.

2. I have my best experience with these types of scents in warm, summery weather. Unfortunately today was a cold, grey miserable rainy day.

I mention these two points as my opinion may be skewed by the adverse skin and weather conditions.

NB: all samples were parfum strength / formulation.

Linen Musk
    Quote Originally Posted by ava-luxe.com
    A clean and airy musk that is soft and light has a freshly washed linen feeling to it.
    Sniffed straight from the vial I thought I was going to have trouble even smelling the scent - let alone actually knowing whether I liked it or not. I, like many others, find that I can be anosmic (scent blind) to certain light, white musks.

I did not get much musk from this, it was very light but I did get some sense of the other notes in the blend. I believe that there is definitely a green fresh lily note in this along with something like hyacinth or freesia to create a very fresh, breezy character.

I did not get a linen accord as I understand it, like that in Cerruti 1881 pour elle, but there was an edge of something that reminded me of the cool menthol (but NOT minty) edge that wormwood / artemisia or anise / licorice brings to a blend. May be it was a touch of aldehydes, I don't know. But I definitely had the sensation of the air around freshly laundered linen, without the actual feel / scent of the fabric, if you can understand what I mean.

Although I personally could not detect the musk, SO said 'Mmmm... musky' when asked to smell and offer an opinion. I, however, did enjoy the cool, airy feel and scent of the florals, though they were extremely light on my skin. I feel that this parfum would definitely come into it's own in very hot, humid conditions, keeping the wearer feeling cool and fresh without any chance of overwhelming or offending those around them.

I am surprised that I actually really enjoyed this delicate, translucent musk and am looking forward to sampling it more extensively in the summer heat. The lasting power was also very good, especially for something that I thought I wouldn't be able to smell. I am even considering springing for a small 1/2 bottle of the parfum.

out of

Blanc de Perle / White Pearl
    A translucent and shimmering pearly white musk with white sandalwood overtones. This musk is creamy soft yet has a feeling of crystal purity.
    Notes : Pearly musk, white sandalwood, transparent blossoms.
    Sadly, although it sounded wonderful, this blend did not work for me.

White Pearl should have been a winner with its sandalwood and transparent florals, but I only found it yawn-worthy. A very pale, insipid, barely there white musk, that dried down to a rather bland soapy base (when I could actually smell it). No pearliness, no shimmering - but an amazing disappearing act!

My skin loves woody scents especially those which feature a sandalwood / musk base. But it tends to turn them into 'skin-but-better' blends that are almost indistinguishable on my skin - depending on the other notes present. A touch of amber, vanilla, spice and / or incense can really help presence and sillage of scent like these. Unfortunately, Blanc de Perle / White Pearl, does not feature anything like that - so the scent just 'disappeared' on me. I could tell that something was still there but it just smelled like soap residue (like I had just washed my hands) or unscented detergent.

Again, I intend to try this again in warmer weather but I know that there are many more suitable, desirable, interesting light / white musk blends out there for me - without struggling to like this one.

out of

Egyptian Musk
    A wonderfully clean and creamy soft skin musk with universal appeal. So subtle and pleasing. Casual and relaxed. A must have for musk lovers. Great for layering with other scents!
    Exactly what it says on the label, a nice, safe Egyptian Musk great for wearing alone or layered with other scents.

This is a pretty, well balanced version of the ubiquitous Egyptian Musk genre - it starts out fresh, slightly green and herbaceous in opening, before the long lasting 'clean', almost soapy heart notes emerge. The scent ends in a very smooth, creamy 'skin-but-better' soft musk that endures for hours and hours. Appropriate for any casual occasion and unlikely to offend.

And for many, non-Egyptian Musk lovers, this may also be its downfall. Although I think it is a great version of this type of scent, I am left feeling rather blah. It is all too 'safe' and 'generic' with no distinctive personality or individuality of it's own. In fact, wearing this after the rapidly disappearing White Pearl (to my nose, because of my chemistry, in reality it lasts ages), I realise just how elegant, and interesting the Linen Musk is, in contrast.

Not being a great Egyptian Musk lover, I am probably not giving this scent its proper dues. All I can confirm is that it definitely lives up to its the description and that I would be quite happy to wear it again in the summer. That being said, I would probably reach for many other scents before reaching for this one, and I have no intention of seeking out a bottle.

out of
    Last edited by moondeva; 25th April 2007 at 12:28 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Loves True Bluish Light - A milky white amber musk with a hint of vanilla sweetness, that's how this one smells on my skin. Not as complex as other Ava Luxe scents but that's what I love about this, a soft, warm caress & long lasting.

I tried White Tea the other day and really loved it. It smells clean and slightly herbal--just like my favorite cup of white tea. The AL website lists notes as: White tea, bergamot, freesia , jasmine, rose, sheer musk , lemon, amber. White Tea wears very close to the skin on me and doesn't last long, although spraying (rather than dabbing as I did) might be better. I'm willing to purchase a full bottle of this just to find out.
    Julie C.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."--Anais Nin

A little while ago I dabbed on some Ava Luxe Vanilla Musk. It's blending with the White Pearl I've worn all day - great scent combo. I don't need to buy the Vanilla Musk, though, as it's rather ordinary on my skin, and I own and love Love's True Bluish Light. I believe I'm going to buy the White Pearl. It's a lovely summer musk with just the right amount of light florals. It will be much better on my budget than the Musc Bleu I was contemplating! (White Pearl is quite a bit like Il Profumo Musc Bleu, which is $90.00 a bottle). I'm not sure I could tell them apart if I were blindfolded.

Another AL musk I've sampled a little today on my arm is Citrine. I like this one quite a bit as well and it's probably going to join my wardrobe. Citrine's notes vanilla, citrus, and musk.
    Last edited by Tovah; 25th April 2007 at 01:59 AM.

I'm pasting these reviews (with a few changes) from the Ava Luxe review thread I started in the Men's forum, before I knew this Ava Luxe week was going on. I wore Fig Wood again today, and I liked it even more than when I first wrote this review:

FIG WOOD: The notes are cardamom, coriander, ripe fig, Mexican lime, sandalwood, Himalayan cedarwood (interesting note, slightly different from Atlas cedar), and Bulgarian tobacco.

The top notes are a beautiful smokey, mildly spicey and sweet fig accord, followed by a rush of cedar about a half an hour later on my skin. It wasn't too much like a hampster cage, because the other notes smoothed it out nicely, and within an hour of application the cedar spirited away into the other notes and wasn't prominent. The tobacco is noticeable throughout the drydown, but it's done in such a tasteful way. I love tobacco when it's done right, and it's done right here.

At first I thought this wasn't going to have longevity because the main notes started to recede quickly. But the sillage surprised me, and the scent is very different at a distance, compared to sniffing my wrist. Even hours after application I'm still getting fragrant whiffs of it. Just don't expect the perfume to retain the same character throughout; this loses most of the fig sweetness and dries down to a smooth, comforting and somewhat smokey base with just a hint of the fig. It would have been nice if it could retain it's initial character just a little bit longer.

KASHMIR SPICE: This smells very nice. But like a very nice holiday potpourri. Or a spice sachet, only with a little more oomph and a hint of powder (with a hefty cinnamon accord).
    I like it, but it's too remniscent of those familiar holiday smells to really wear. I'd wear it around the holidays for the novelty, probably at party or a family get together.
    The longevity and sillage are good.

PALISANDER: (Ava Luxe included a free sample of this (and a few others) in my box, which I didn't notice before. Very generous!)
    Rosewood is the main note here, along with Japanese Hiba wood (which I'm not familiar with). The rosewood overpowers a little a first, but quickly subdues. The drydown is musky, smokey incense with amber, and while nice, it's longevity is variable on me. This one goes through a lot of changes before settling.

NAG CHAMPA: This one is delicious. There's not too much to describe, as it's just like high quality nag champa incense, but with an ambery base which adds a refinement not otherwise present in the incense. Smokey, very long-lasting, and with nice sillage; this is a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I came THIS CLOSE to getting the Lotus sample, instead of my SOTD 'The Beach' - would you compare it to any other fragrance you've smelled before?

I am very challenged when it comes to notes and teasing out individual components, but I would say it's like a musky diet Fracas in a salt rimmed, green glass...sort of lose the fruit and spicy notes in Fracas and rid the base of everything but a clean musk.

Does that make any sense at all?

Lotus is "another" gentler white flower.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 25th April 2007 at 05:19 AM.

WelcomeWelcome Maxwell!!! :wave:And thanx for those great reviews. Hope we'll see more of you as the week progresses. (Will try to scamper over to the guys' side and check out your thread.)

Johri for me today for Green/Herbal Intense Musk day. Opening top notes of crisp Italian lemon - fresh Sicilian bergamot, and spicy Chinese pepper blossom ... followed by green fig, Virginia cedar, sandalwood, coconut milk, tonka bean, vanilla, and white musk.

Opened with a of peppery cedar on me with just a whiff of citrus. Bergamot works well on me and is quite noticeable. As time passes (it's been about an hour) this mellows into the vanillic tonka and a light musk and the initial cedar has faded. Fresh and perfect for a day that promises to hit the eighties!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Rasa

This starts off all roses on me. There is an undercurrent of musk, but nothing that I, a professed musk hater before I joined these boards, couldn't handle. The roses are sweet, fruity and opulent, but fade after a while, leaving behind a warm, skin but better scent.
    This is nice, and undoubtedly sexy, but I would have liked a bit more longevity. I would be very happy to hear of anyone's experiences with Rasa Xtreme.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by julie-madam View Post
    I tried White Tea the other day and really loved it. It smells clean and slightly herbal--just like my favorite cup of white tea. The AL website lists notes as: White tea, bergamot, freesia , jasmine, rose, sheer musk , lemon, amber. White Tea wears very close to the skin on me and doesn't last long, although spraying (rather than dabbing as I did) might be better. I'm willing to purchase a full bottle of this just to find out.
    Chemistry is an interesting thing, isn't it! This really turned to soap on my skin, but even a tiny application lasted all day and I had to scrub it off 12 hours later so I could put something else on. I would have loved to have smelled what you did, but it didn't work for me at all.
    Update: well, what I have found to be a nice, subtle skin scent is, according to my colleague, pretty strong. She practically recoiled from my wrist when I told her to sniff it. Although I'm very sensitive to some musks and really don't like them, perhaps I'm anosmic to others! Hmm! (Just ordering a sample of Xtreme now...and oh, some other stuff!)
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 25th April 2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Right, I stuffed up on my order and didn't have an appropriate one for today so I am sampling White Tea. Not sure what the tea component is supposed to be, as this on me is extremely clean and sharp at first sampling. I like it, but not sure it's one I am going to splash out on.

Yes, same from me.

It's warmed up here a lot and the musk in Rasa is starting to come through again. And there was me thinking it was done an hour ago!

Sampling Linden Blossom today. This is as potent a linden as I've ever smelled with the exception of the Linden trees in my neighborhood. It starts out that way and is pretty linear.
    If you crave a Linden soliflore, this is something you'd enjoy mightily.

Alas, I don't think this one is for me.

I like the Ava Luxe scent I fell asleep in much better. That one started off rather unobtrusively and I was a bit disappointed, but it developed into exactly what it was supposed to and lasted all night long.

And here I was hoping to quench my thirst with just samples? So far, I am just figuring out what to buy in bottles!

Rasa for bedtime~
    It is nice, sweet and musky. It is more mature than White Musk from TBS. Regarding longevity. I will take a nap and let you know... he he... but this seems like a scent that would go immediately to my shopping basket.

I'd agree there. I put it on this morning. All roses and a hint of something naughty, but only a hint. By lunchtime there was hardly anything. Now, at almost 5.30pm, the musks are out on parade! It's not too OTT but it's definitely there.
    I'm going to have to try the Xtreme version.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing Absinthe today.

My VERY FAVORITE Ava Luxe scent, this is mint, eucalyptus, licorice [or anise?] - quite like liquid Altoid (!)

I applied it this morning right after I left the gym all sweaty - it cooled my skin & nose instantly upon application (the poor people in the elevator with me...they probably thought 'what IS that smell?!'). For the next hour the mid dry down turned much more licorice-y (not sweet, just pure licorice) and I keep getting waves of it everytime I get up from my chair.

I bought a 5ml of this and I can seriously see myself using this up VERY quickly.

Will post final thoughts tonite after I try my other Ava Luxe sample: Fig.

UPDATE:

Allright, this stuff lasts a long time! There is no way that I can test Fig, even now some 10 hours after I applied Absinthe this morning. I'm still detecting it and I probably will get some of the notes wrong, if I put Fig on top of this smell.

Will test Fig later on & post later in the thread.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Overall review: Absinthe is a keeper - I think why I like it so much is that there is NOTHING in the scent world that smells like this. For that first 30 minutes the menthol/mint combo is so strong it actually smells like you've dripped absinthe (the alcoholic liquer, not the frag) all over you. It never veers over into Ben Gay / Tiger Balm type of menthol note (not an easy thing to do). In addition, because its in the mid 80's here in Miami - the scent is so very refreshing and uplifting. Finally, I kinda think the 'alien green' color is very cool. It looks very 'Harry Potter' on my nightstand
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th April 2007 at 10:42 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Kiss the mailman, my samples just arrived ...

Wearing Linden Blossom. I agree with Zibeline's remarks. Nice sillage. I feel refreshed. In addition to linden's citrus-like qualities, I'm registering a pinch of gardenia and lilac. This is lovely for today, but La Chasse fills and overflows the niche occupied by linden in my mind.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Today I'm sampling Linden Blossom. I agree with Quarry and Zibeline that this has nice sillage! It's a very green/herbal linden without any sweetness. In order to be interesting on my skin, though, this needs some heady tuberose, dry vanilla and sandalwood...Linden Blossom is drying down to be a just-out-of-the-shower, soapy scent, which is just not my thing. If I had any talent at all for layering, Linden Blossom would be fun to experiment with. I recommend this to lovers of very green fragrances, and those who enjoy soapy scents. It's a terrific perfume; just not my best kind of scent.

My box of delights from Ava Luxe arrived today and along with the order there were some extra samples, thank you Serena, so kind of you! Two musks I tested today, although not fitting today's 'intense musk' theme, were Gardenia Musk and Pearl Musk. Gardenia Musk I would describe as fresh, bright, and very clean. Great for work in summertime methinks. I might be tempted to buy this one.
    Pearl Musk I adore. This scent does not have a big va va voom presence but it does have a low, sultry, come closer purr. It's a soft, gentle, sexy skinscent which may be too subtle for some but I just love the way it blends into my skin. I wish I could smell like this from top to toe! Ava Luxe website describes Pearl Musk as ' a lovely pearlescent skin musk that is deliciously clean and sexy with just a hint of sweetness'. I must buy a bottle of this fragrance in the parfum.

I ordered Gardenia Musk today, which was my freebie.
    Also ordered a small perfume of Cafe Noir. Yum.

Rasa is still going strong after a bath. I even had a good clean with shower gel!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    I am very challenged when it comes to notes and teasing out individual components, but I would say it's like a musky diet Fracas in a salt rimmed, green glass...sort of lose the fruit and spicy notes in Fracas and rid the base of everything but a clean musk.

Does that make any sense at all?

Lotus is "another" gentler white flower.

Well...I have never smelled Fracas, so it doesn't really make sense. However I can imagine a 'gentle white flower' smell.

Must sample soon.

Tunisian Musk
    A dark warm floral musk with resinous incense overtones. Rich, exotic, and otherworldly. This is the description of this wonderful musk on the Ava Luxe website. The unusual blend of florals in this is beautiful, reminds me of flowers that release their fragrance at night - lush & heady blooms of fragrance with divine musk - love it! Will be buying a full bottle.

Rasa
    I have a full bottle of this one. Musk, Musk & more musk surrounded by lush, deep red velvet roses. Fantastic!

I am wearing Doll Face today in edp which I own. So I am describing a perfume that I have worn many times and already know that I like (five stars).

Notes : heliotrope, violet, French vanilla, light musk, white musk.

This scent has grown on me over time the more that I have worn it. The doll component refers to the slightly "plasticky" smell that comes from the heliotrope and musk. The violet is very well blended in and I can't really smell it as a distinct separate note. Doll Face has great longevity too but can be easily reapplied if desired. This is a very comforting scent, maybe in part because of the associations with dolls/childhood. It is not a sexy scent as such, but more of a "I want to relax, let my hair down and be mellow" kind of scent. I find that I crave Doll Face sometimes which may be all about the heliotrope and vanilla (and the dolls). BTW the heliotrope in Doll Face is so different from how it comes across in Etro Heliotrope where it is much more effervescent. In Doll Face it is much more static (well, like a doll I guess). And that is how I like it when I am in a Doll Face kind of mood.

Krysia

Well...I have never smelled Fracas, so it doesn't really make sense. However I can imagine a 'gentle white flower' smell.

Must sample soon.
    (I've got Lotus scheduled for tomorrow - then I'll take a crack at it too!! It's difficult to describe a smell except in terms of another smell..."gentle white flower" seems awfully good to me....

For today's Spice/Woods/Resins/Incense I'm wearing two new (to me) beauties: Red Tara and Firewood, which complement each other very well.

Firewood notes:Sandalwood,Vanuatu Sandalwood (Santalum austrocaledonicum),Nagarmotha (Cyperus Scariosus),Red Cedar, Sweet Birch, Frankincense and Myrrh. This opened smoky and sweet on me and right now (an hour in) is still faintly firelight-ish with the frankincense and myrrh stirring underneath. Am awaiting the usual surprising later dry down! :bounce: What will it be! I love Lonestar Memories - this might replace it!!

Red Tara: Notes from the site: Red Tara is the fierce aspect of the Tibetan Buddhist Goddess Tara who embodies compassion, redemption, and removes obstacles on the path as well as quelling fears and anxieties. Red Tara magnetizes to oneself all good things. Red Tara is the dakini of magic and enchantment and the mother of liberation.
    Red Tara's mantra is OM TARE TAM SOHA.

This fragrance was inspired by Red Tara and is composed of precious sandalwood, iris, and myrrh.

A warmly playful and joy inducing fragrance.

Notes:
    Precious Sandalwood
    Iris Absolute (Iris pallida)
    Myrrh

On me, the iris in this is much more rounded than, say, Iris Poudre - perhaps it's the subtle undercurrent of sandalwood and myrrh. There's a honeyed sweetness to it too...."playful" is a good word. Again, I await the luxurious drydown. I have this sample in the Luxe Edition.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 26th April 2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Never you mind.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Here are some short reviews for Thursday's theme - some were written recently and other last summer.

Ava-Luxe Incense Tibet: This is an incense blend of traditional nag champa and amber. It has great sillage and does truly remind me of Tibet. The scent manages to be both comforting and exotic. At first, the incense and amber are dominant but then upon drydown, there is a sweet coconut note on top and a musky base on bottom. I smell no rose notes from this one although it is listed in the notes on Serena’s site. The dirty undertone of the fragrance reminds me of the smell of wet, musky yak hair that lines the coats of Tibetan traders (but in a good way). This scent may, in the end, make me too nostalgic for my time spent traveling but from time to time I’ll dab on Incense Tibet and recollect some very happy memories.

Ava-Luxe Red Tara: Although I was skeptical at first dab, I came to love Red Tara. On me, this is a pure sandalwood scent (I don't get any chocolate like other reviewers have noticed). It is dry (although not as dry as Tam Dao), long lasting, and pure wood - it reminds me of classical paintings of women in the Chinese Imperial Court during the Qing Dynasty with their flowing silk sleeves lounging in the courtyard garden fanning themselves with an ornate sandalwood fan in the summer sun. I found this scent a bit overwhelming in the excessive heat and humidity of Washington, D.C., in August when I first tested it but I’m going to try again come autumn.

Ava-Luxe Kashmir Spice: This is pure cinnamon on me. The initial spice blast was extremely strong and actually made me sneeze. After many hours, I noticed a decent, soft drydown but I'm just not impressed with this one.

Ava-Luxe Shambhala Tibet : Sadly Shambhala Tibet smelled exactly like a Chinese Traditional Medicine cure for colds that I use. It is very strong, syrupy, with an herbal bent. My BF thought that the medicinal smell was kind of nice but I just don't want to smell like this - maybe because it makes me think of being sick. However, if you like medicinal scents like Dzongkha you might want to try this one.

Today I'm wearing Palisander, which may tie with Incense Tibet for my favorites of this category but I'm waiting for the drydown to decide.
    Currently Wearing for Spring:
    La Chasse aux Papillons, Do Son, Eau de Lierre, Premier Figuer, No. 5 Sensual Elixir, No. 19, En Passant, Hiris, With Love, Vent Vert, and Citta di Kyoto

Deep down inside there’s a place where your inner goddess dwells. Close your eyes, get in touch with her in that dark, warm place that is strangely comforting. A quiet, earthy, rooty iris and golden myrrh evoking the sweet flesh of fresh mushrooms pervade the air. Experience the tactile sensation of running your fingers over a statue carved in fragrant sandalwood, its surface smoothed and polished by hundreds of hands that caressed it before you. Share the ancient wisdom, renew your ties with Mother Earth and emerge soothed and focused. I am wearing Red Tara.

Kashmir Spice - cinnamon and cinnamon - and well, cinnamon. Not sure about this one at all. We'll see as it dries down more. Might be the first one I have to scrub off.

Forbidden Fruits

This starts off with a fruity blast that reminds me of the flavour of a fizzy red grape juice drink I had as a child, Shloer. It might remind Americans of grape jelly, which we don't get here in the UK, but which I've encountered on breakfast buffets at hotels in the States. Or perhaps grape bubblegum. It's nice though - sweet but not sugary. There's an undercurrant of woods an incense which is now starting to shine through, six hours after initial application. The fruitiness has softened slightly, but it's still very much in evidence. I like this very much. Another FBW? Oh so tempting!

Can someone tell me what Japanese Hiba wood is? I have never heard of until until this week...but two of the "must-haves" I sampled this week contain it...the lovely BIBA and my wood sample for today:

Palisander
    (Brazilian Rosewood)

This plush wood fragrance is a blend of luscious Palisander wood from Brazil and Japanese Hiba wood. The woods are softened slightly with a light musk and warm amber. Pink pepper and cinnamon add a delicious warmth to this aromatic potion.

Notes:
    Palisander wood (from renewable sources)
    Japanese Hiba wood
    Amber
    Incense
    Musk
    Pink Pepper
    Cinnamon
    Vetiver

This is utterly gorgeous....I hope I can do it justice with my description...it opens with a something that's a bit spicy and tingly to my nose and then warms into a luscious warm, dry and woody fragrance that's cuddly and serene at the same time...the woodiness gets stronger as I wear it....it's the soft and elegant wood of an carved rosewood box filled with incense...it's got nice sillage and staying power also and it's going of my list for bottles, a winner !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Deep down inside there’s a place where your inner goddess dwells. Close your eyes, get in touch with her in that dark, warm place that is strangely comforting. A quiet, earthy, rooty iris and golden myrrh evoking the sweet flesh of fresh mushrooms pervade the air. Experience the tactile sensation of running your fingers over a statue carved in fragrant sandalwood, its surface smoothed and polished by hundreds of hands that caressed it before you. Share the ancient wisdom, renew your ties with Mother Earth and emerge soothed and focused. I am wearing Red Tara.
    Wow!! If I wasn't already wearing it I'd want to wear it!! Quelle review!! :bounce:

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Forbidden Fruits

This starts off with a fruity blast that reminds me of the flavour of a fizzy red grape juice drink I had as a child, Shloer. It might remind Americans of grape jelly, which we don't get here in the UK, but which I've encountered on breakfast buffets at hotels in the States. Or perhaps grape bubblegum. It's nice though - sweet but not sugary. There's an undercurrant of woods an incense which is now starting to shine through, six hours after initial application. The fruitiness has softened slightly, but it's still very much in evidence. I like this very much. Another FBW? Oh so tempting!
    I think that Gaultier 2 smells like grape bubble gum - would you compare Forbidden Fruits to G2 ?

Sampling Shisha today, and actually last night and the night before!

It started out very nondescript and a bit bitter but developed into a lovely, true to notes fragrance...lots of tobacco, dried fruit and a nice honey base. I did not chocolate or powder at all from this. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it developed and how long it lasted.

On the other hand, Tiare, was expected to be a gardenia but started with a gigantic blast of cinnamon and added fruits and more spice...I'm thinking the sample was mislabeled. I thought the scent was fascinating and sultry but was expecting a floral!

Three cheers for Shisha.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 26th April 2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by edain33 View Post
    Can someone tell me what Japanese Hiba wood is? I have never heard of until until this week...
    Well, I found out (I Google'd it) that Hiba wood is cypress tree wood (hiba is the Japanese word for this particular genus of cypress - here in the US it is called thujopsis). Kind of like an evergreen tree (it's got those coniferous leaves) but smaller, the kind that you see planted around temples or in botanical gardens.

Sounds like it smells great.

Blog Entries

I think that Gaultier 2 smells like grape bubble gum - would you compare Forbidden Fruits to G2 ?
    PBI: JPG Gaultier2 and Ava Luxe Forbidden Fruits. I loathe the first and adore the second....

OK, may be not so extreme but there is a world of difference and quality between the two. I find Gaultier2 to be rather bland, cloying and soulless (all that is left after you rip the interesting guts out of JPG Classique EDP.

A very linear, sweet, non descript powdery amber vanilla. I would probably reach for this in cold, grey winter when I crave a sweet, gourmand scent. It is all honey, vanilla, amber and powder to me.

Forbidden Fruits is original to say the least, it opens like an oil meant for pot-pourri or an oil burner but I believe that is due to the rich exotic berryish combo of red fruit and spices. But something wonderful occurs as the scent warms and settles on the skin. The scent 'dries out' and the wonderful dark, smoky yet smooth, creamy woods along with the spices (cardamom) and resins / incense emerge and develop in the most amazing ways. I often find myself being intrigued by a delicious spicy, smoky red fruit tinged scent only to find it is me (about 1-3 hours after applying). Longevity is amazing and the sillage is gorgeous.

Think of it on a par with Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir, but juicier / fruitier and with more complex, smoother incense and spice. I adore them layered together. I also wear Forbidden Fruits layered with Dior Poison for a seductive blend which always gets compliments...

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I'm not sure, Mike, I've not smelled G2! It's not a synthetic smell - it's just what it reminds me of. It's actually pretty nice and the bit I sprayed on my shoulders is still going strong (my wrists always lose their scent first as they're resting on a hot laptop all day).

Edit: What Moondeva said.
    In a way it reminds me of a fruity Ambre Sultan. It must be the woody/incense base.

I'll have to try it with Poison one day! Of course I will have to buy some first...once I have got my first order back...um...
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 26th April 2007 at 03:49 PM.

Today I'm sampling Vamp. I can't say I'm wearing it, because this one definitely wears me. Vamp is a drop-dead gorgeous, rich Oriental that reminds me so much of another fragrance... What am I thinking of? Can anyone help?

The notes are: Oriental spices, Amber, Sandalwood, Labdanum, Vanilla, and Cashmere Musk. I categorize this in the family of Bois des Iles and Samsara.

I love it and it's going to be purchased in a full bottle.

Last night, my husband said I smelled really good. I was coated in sparkling and silky Ava Luxe Stardust Body Lotion scented with Love's True Bluish Light and I had just a little bit of LTBL rolled onto my pulsepoints.
    Last edited by Tovah; 26th April 2007 at 04:54 PM.

Well, I found out (I Google'd it) that Hiba wood is cypress tree wood (hiba is the Japanese word for this particular genus of cypress - here in the US it is called thujopsis). Kind of like an evergreen tree (it's got those coniferous leaves) but smaller, the kind that you see planted around temples or in botanical gardens.

Sounds like it smells great.

Thanks, Mike! Palisander really is a wonderful "woody" fragrance, and even now in the drydown stage, there's no "pencil shavings" that I often get with woods....

ANOTHER REVIEW::

Also tried FIGWOOD....it was a juicy, spicey and woody scent that I would say is unisex and quite nice!

Basenotes Institution

Today, my Ava Luxe scents were: KRETEK and ROYAL PARVATI.

Kretek:

Yes it smells like those oranges studded with cloves. Yes it's smoky. And yes it smells like the Moroccan cigarettes from where it gets its name from. I actually used to smoke kretek cigarettes (when I was a smoker) so I'm familiar with the smell. The cigarettes (when you put them to your lips) leave a lingering sweetness on your lips that you can taste when you lick your lips. Kretek smells JUST LIKE this sweetness, but mixed with orange peel.

Surprised when about 1.5 hours after I applied it, it faded and then kind of resurfaced later on.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Overall review: Perhaps if I wanted another spicy fragrance (I don't) I'd go for Kretek - and I really love the orange peel note (it smells nothing like Hermes' orange peel - this is much more warm). But I somehow feel like this is a scent I'd love to smell in a candle in my home, not on my body. Sad, because I REALLY WANTED to like this.

Royal Parvati:

Can I just say, I hate the name! OK, now that's out of the way...

When I sniffed it at first, from the vial, I got a strong connection to the smell of Almond Joy candy bars (sweetened coconut, and dark liquor chocolate?) that immediately faded in a few seconds. The top notes then kind of trigerred like dominoes: silky powder (which scared me 'cause I hate powder), somthing 'dirty' maybe civet, sandalwood (not your momma's sandalwood either...very exotic sandalwood) and...how do I say this...the smell of women's intimate wear. I'm serious! Didn't we just have a thread about Agent Provacateur and undies, etc...well for me, RP conjures up this image.

Funny because I applied RP at lunchtime, so right now at the end of my day at the office, the 'feminine' formula is in FULL BLOSSOM on me. A little embarassing. Mind you, not the sour note I get from Kingdom (A. McQueen) but a soft sultry note. Almost the scent of woman's skin.

Rating: 2 of 5

Overall review: One of the AL scents that is so NOT me. In addition, I think the exoticism of it is kind of confusing: Is it powder? Wood sap? Lingerie? It's a little too schizophrenic. Almost reminds me (in spirit) of one of a Comme de Garcon scent (love most CdG, but some are scrubbers!). Finally, I think the headache I have now, is from this scent. Headache inducing scents are not cool.

Turkish Vanilla
    Turkish Vanilla is deep and woody with hints of amber and cinnamon. Ambrette seed lends a slightly musky drydown.

Notes: Vanilla bean, Vanilla, Cinnamon, ambrette seed, sandalwood, amber.

Fragrance family
    GOURMAND / SPICE / WOOD (from Axa Luxe website)

I was really looking forward to trying this scent but after 5 - 10 minutes my body chemistry turn it into marzipan, really strong marzipan - unfortunately I don't like marzipan as I got really sick from overdosing on the sweet stuff at a party when I was very young!

Sweet Amber Wood
    An exotic amber-woody fragrance with notes of sandalwood, patchouli, warm spices, and Siam benzoin. Trés luxurious!

Fragrance Family
    Wood Resin / Oriental Amber (from Ava Luxe website)

First I get sweet spice, then the sandalwood, benzoin & patchouli. A beautifully balanced scent with all the notes complimenting & supporting each other. I really like it but at this stage I don't love it like some of the other Ava Luxe fragrances I've bought or tried!

Blog Entries

Green / Herbal or Intense Musk day

Kama / Kama Xtreme

Wow! I have a sample of both of these and have tried them a number of times. But I am still trying to decide whether I hate them or love them and whether I ‘need’ a full bottle of one or both of them!

The short answer is yes! Yes - I love them both, and Yes! I need a huge bottle of both of them – especially the Xtreme

This is exactly as described – a full, exotic animalic musk in the same school as the notorious Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan. Opens very mossy and woody due to the very natural smelling cedarwood EO but soon the resins, musks and raw animalic notes meld with the skin creating a palpable aura of such sensuality and erotic tension that you cannot help but be seduced. And yet this is not sleazy or barn yard like SL MKK is often cited as being. Somehow, even in the Xtreme version, Kama manages to convey class and elegance the whole time that it is out to seduce.

My initial preference is for Kama Xtreme but I like my musks extra woody and dir-rty! I may have to reserve it for cold winter months as it can be pretty potent due to the more pronounced ‘fecal’ civet note (at least in the opening).

A great ‘anyone, anytime, anywhere’ scent that is perfect dressed up or down.

out of

Rasa / Rasa Xtreme

Rasa or Rasa Xtreme is another honest, ‘exactly what it says on the tin’ scent that is much, much more than the sum of its parts – a truly superior blend. I tried Rasa this past winter, and though I found it lovely, it left me rather cold – nothing to write home about.
    Well I had secured a bunch of old samples in a swap and they happened to contain a sample of old formulation Rasa (now Rasa Xtreme) and the rest is history. I never knew what hit me! That wonderfully raw animalic waft of civet and ambergris that melds with your skin and turns to pure (sexy) ambrosia, the four amazing musks and the deep velvety slightly spicy roses that enveloped and surrounds the wearer in a sensual aura impossible to resist….
    And for me – an instant Holy Grail scent. I contacted Serena and begged her to find a bottle of this formulation for me and asked whether she would consider launching a limited edition of it (so I could stock up) as I was sure there were others, like myself who would adore this blend - especially with the acceptance and popularity of SL MKK. Luckily for me, Serena agreed and I bought my bottle of Rasa X-rated soon after.
    I would recommend the regular, more civilised blend for those who are more sensitive to the assertive nature of strong animalic accords. This, like Caron Parfum Sacre,is very much a winter / cooler weather perfume which is unlikely to behave well in warmer conditions and is way too sensual / sexual for work. I think I may need to get the softer, tamer Rasa to wear this summer or restrict myself to the body lotion only in order to avoid annoying others.

out of

Absinthe / Sweet Absinthe

Amazing original unique perfumes – just like the infamous beverage they are based upon.
    Oddly enough, this scent screams mint to me. I know it is devoted to Artemisia / wormwood - but to my nose the menthol / mint note comes to the fore on my skin and is truly delicious. I find it quite addictive - the more I sniff it, the more I want to...!
    It opens very sharp, green, herbal – almost living! It must also be quite bitter but I do not notice that when wearing it. My SO finds it very pungent and bitter and prefers not to be around when I wear it.
    This is a great shame as I was looking forward to making it a summer signature this year. The mint / menthol accord is so rich and ‘fresh’ it creates a wonderful cooling sensation where applied and in the nostrils as you sniff it. You immediately feel cooler and the effect / scent goes on and on.
    Sweet Absinthe is a much softer, passive take on the same theme. There is no bitterness here just a softly minty, citrus floral scent that is unique and perfect for wearing in the summer heat. I heartily recommend both this scent and the more uncompromising Absinthe for those going on holiday or living / working in warmer climes.

Two great winners!

Absinthe out of
    Sweet Absinthe out of
    Last edited by moondeva; 27th April 2007 at 04:16 AM.

On Tropical/Floral Day, I am wearing Venus Sands in perfume oil: exotic flowers, expensive suntan lotion, hot sand, tanned skin and a whiff of salty breeze in the opening. The spices, incense and woods, although played extremely softly, give it body and personality.
    I picture myself sipping a Pina Colada in a palm bar overlooking a tropical lagoon, in the glow of a pink and orange sunset, toes in the warm water. My dream vacation in a bottle. I think I need it...and while I'm at it, why not the body lotion as well?

Notes from Serena’s site:
    Gardenia, Jasmine Sambac, Waterlily, Island Orchid, Comoro Ylang Ylang, Bergamot, Nutmeg, Clove, Thai Coconut Milk, Vanilla, Amber, Incense, Sandalwood.

For Floral/Tropical day (and the last - SOB - for this edition! Am already anticipating Fall/Winter!! :bounce: it's a double header: the silken Lily and the slumberous Lotus.

Lily was one of my first full bottle Avas (a small bottle but a full bottle nonetheless!) because I just love lilies of any kind and they love me. This one is a delicate pale green coming out of the bottle - it is one of those Avas that really develop character over time. The lily deepens and rounds and is heavier without there being traces of musk or amber.

Lotus is a bit more complex: Notes: Greens, white lotus , white gardenia, tuberose, plumeria, Egyptian musk - and is a bit reminiscent of Un Jardin sur le Nil but is weightier. I have a feeling that as the day progresses it's going to develop into another must-have. It's already showing a hint of ...spice!! (think it's actually the gardenia) ...and a light heady muskiness.

Will do a re-cap tomorrow on this whole experience. But so far I've racked up five "must haves" and seven "must tries" from the reviews you wonderful BNers have written!!!!!

Manymanymany thanks to Moondeva for organizing, and submitting such comprehensive reviews for us. We just gotta do this again!! :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    On Tropical/Floral Day, I am wearing Venus Sands in perfume oil: exotic flowers, expensive suntan lotion, hot sand, tanned skin and a whiff of salty breeze in the opening. The spices, incense and woods, although played extremely softly, give it body and personality.
    I picture myself sipping a Pina Colada in a palm bar overlooking a tropical lagoon, in the glow of a pink and orange sunset, toes in the warm water. My dream vacation in a bottle. I think I need it...and while I'm at it, why not the body lotion as well?

Notes from Serena’s site:
    Gardenia, Jasmine Sambac, Waterlily, Island Orchid, Comoro Ylang Ylang, Bergamot, Nutmeg, Clove, Thai Coconut Milk, Vanilla, Amber, Incense, Sandalwood.
    Make that eight!!.

I see you've got Un Jardin sur le Nil in your wardrobe. Does this help any? (Ackshully - given what seem to be your tastes - it's probably worth your trying a sample. I'd send you mine but it's almost gone and wouldn't be sufficient). Let us know!!) :bounce:
    Last edited by TaoLady; 27th April 2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

Spice or Wood / Resin / Incense day

Royal Parvati
    Parvati is the Hindu Goddess of Love and Beauty. The wife of Lord Shiva and mother of Ganesha, she is adored by Hindus everywhere. Parvati gives her love and blessings freely to all. She is known for her great felicity, nurturing and fertility. Parvati employed the help of Kama, the love god, to enchant Lord Shiva and make him her husband.
    On their honeymoon, Shiva and Parvati scaled the great Mount Kailasha where they spent many years in sacred union.This fragrance, inspired by Parvati, is composed of rare and precious woods - Creamy Sandalwood from Caledonia, Exotic Cabrueva wood from the South Pacific, and Sweet Parvati Sandalwood. The fragrance is enhanced with a touch of Rosewood and Ambergris.
    Notes: Cypress Leaf, Rosewood, Caledonian Sandalwood, Parvati Sandalwood, Cabrueva Wood, Peruvian Balsam, Orris Root, Ambergris
    Inspired by the divine, this scent is itself divine! Smooth creamy exotic white woods all arranged in homage to the central spiritual beauty of sandalwood.

A must for pure sandalwood lovers! Not dry or cool but warm and creamy texture provided by an excellently balanced orris note. The long lasting, delicious dry down is a sensual delight due to the dreamy ambergris note which anchors the whole.

Sadly, one of the most expensive blends on the site (and not available in body products) but worth every nickel and dime!

Another ‘must buy’ full bottle purchase for me…

out of

Kretek
    Kreteks, or clove cigarettes as they are known in the USA, were first created by a man named Haji Jamahri from Java, Indonesia. Kreteks are a mixture of tobacco, cloves and a special flavoring sauce . Kreteks were initially created for medicinal purposes to numb the pain of asthma - the eugenol in the cloves provided a painkilling effect for the lungs. Now kreteks are the national cigarette in Indonesia, and smoked more than any other kind. In America and other parts of the world, kreteks have a sort of bohemian connotation, frequently smoked by people in the underground scenes.This Kretek fragrance is the scent of fine tobacco, woods and amber with clove buds. Very evocative and yet totally wearable and delicious!Notes: Clove bud, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Tobacco leaf, Amber, Sandalwood, Incense
    Picture a good quality cigarette, specialist made with blond tobacco – fresh off the production line (so the leaf is still fresh and moist). Now dip or sprinkle that cigarette in a sample of Etro Etra (minus the vanilla in the dry down. Then sniff – et voila, Kretek!

The opening of this is pure unadulterated smooth tobacco leaves, with a thwack of spice (cinnamon, clove). The cardamom kicks in to and dominates until the very end. It may seem off kilter at this point but be patient. As the amber and woods mellow on your skin something wonderful happens. Kretek morphs into a very wearable spicy smoky amber woods scent that is a surprise and delight every time.

Eventually Kretek dries down to a much lighter cardamom enriched amber woods scent with the tobacco now nothing more than a whisper of its former self. Depending on my mood I sometimes find that it seems to open very rough and ready like my beloved Chanel Egoiste before settling down to the dreamiest cardamom spiced, tobacco tinged white woods.

Nice!

out of

Last edited by moondeva; 27th April 2007 at 01:58 PM.

Today I tried a few:

Orange Flowers:
    This is beautiful, but sadly faded quickly away on me leaving the barest glimmer of vanilla...

Tuberose Diabolique: This is my first try at a Tuberose fragrance, not sure what actual Tuberose smells like, but this is FANTASTIC!!! It's creamy and tropical smelling while green and fresh at the same time...

And finally I have a scent called #23 which I was told will be available in a few weeks, it was a freebie in my sample order and described as a soft floral incense type....I can't pick out any notes, but I can tell you it's more on the incense side for me, very nice and warm....worth looking into!!

Thanks for organizing this AVA LUXE week, it's been great fun and I look forward to another:-)
    Last edited by edain33; 27th April 2007 at 02:02 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    I see you've got Un Jardin sur le Nil in your wardrobe. Does this help any? (Ackshully - given what seem to be your tastes - it's probably worth your trying a sample. I'd send you mine but it's almost gone and wouldn't be sufficient). Let us know!!) :bounce:[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Yeah - love me some Un Jardin...a JC Ellena masterpiece in my opinion. If you're comparing Lotus to this, now I'm intrigued. Will definitely sample it soon, along with the other recommendations you all shared about: Loves Trueish Blue Light, Cafe Noir and Vamp.

At this rate, I'll never get to my other samples!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    Today I'm sampling Vamp. I can't say I'm wearing it, because this one definitely wears me. Vamp is a drop-dead gorgeous, rich Oriental that reminds me so much of another fragrance... What am I thinking of? Can anyone help?

The notes are: Oriental spices, Amber, Sandalwood, Labdanum, Vanilla, and Cashmere Musk. I categorize this in the family of Bois des Iles and Samsara.

I love it and it's going to be purchased in a full bottle.
    Oh, my gosh! Your description got me drooling. This sounds similar to Chanel Egoiste, TBS Woody Sandalwood, Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles and / or (and this is the most exciting possibility) Givenchy Organza Indecence!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Arrggghhhh! I need to sample this! All of the above are HG / true love perfumes for me and it would be great if Vamp fell within the same camp...

As I may have mentioned, whatever was in my sample vial of Tiare, had nothing to do with florals. It was a big doughy cinnamon and fruit scent.

But one of my freebies fills the floral gap.

Today I am sampling Venus Sands. It's a lovely tropical floral (gardenia, jasmine, orchid, waterlily and Ylang) that is studded with spice and was given a pinch of incense in the base.

This is one of the more complex scents I've tried this week, an evening tropical fragrance.

I am enjoying his one.

Thanks Moondeva for this great sampling week.I had a great time and am wanting more!
    On my next sampling list, I must include more chypres, white lilac, and some of the vintage scents..

I fear I will be placing orders for Shisha and Moss bottles any day now!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    ...In a way it reminds me of a fruity Ambre Sultan. It must be the woody/incense base....
    Wow! I can see how you get that. I think Forbidden Fruits + Ambre Sultan would make an awesome combination!!!

note to self: must try this combination some time...!

Frangipani for me today. I really am not sure how to describe it except it smells of summer holidays and warm nights. Not beachy but beautiful tropical florals. I love it. Dries down to a very pretty spice.
    Last edited by quos; 27th April 2007 at 05:45 PM.

Mmm, I think Venus Sands would layer very nicely with Hypnotic Poison too.
    I'll pop a review of Venus Sands up later. It's deliciously coconutty!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Short on time this week. [Remind self: More work means more money means more perfume buying power.] Wearing White Lilac, but not feeling it. These flowers have been in the vase a little too long (it could be my chemistry). Highland is still the gold standard for lilac soliflores.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Gardenia Musk for me today! It's almost as good as Kai and it's another I'm sure I'll purchase. This is a nice, clear, heady gardenia with good sillage and lasting power.
    [quote=moondeva;1017899]Oh, my gosh! Your description got me drooling. This sounds similar to Chanel Egoiste, TBS Woody Sandalwood, Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles and / or (and this is the most exciting possibility) Givenchy Organza Indecence!!! [quote]

It's not as sweet as Indecence but I can definitely see it "related" to Bal a Versailles. It reminds me of a vintage Chanel, too, not that it smells exactly like Cuir de Russie or Bois des Iles, but it connotes their type of elegance and sophistication (as does Bal a Versailles). I think this Vamp is one of the finest scents in the Ava Luxe line...(yes, I am shamelessly enabling).
    Last edited by Tovah; 27th April 2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    It's not as sweet as Indecence but I can definitely see it "related" to Bal a Versailles. It reminds me of a vintage Chanel, too, not that it smells exactly like Cuir de Russie or Bois des Iles, but it connotes their type of elegance and sophistication (as does Bal a Versailles). I think this Vamp is one of the finest scents in the Ava Luxe line...(yes, I am shamelessly enabling).
    I am done for! I find Givenchy Organza Indecence too sweet most of the time except in cooler autumn / winter weather. And I adore the smooth elegance and sophistication of Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles. It is one of the most underrated amber sandalwoods out there. I always wonder why I don't wear it more each time I do wear it but I know I 'ration' myself otherwise many of my other perfumes would never get worn! LOL!

::adds Vamp to very long sample list::
    Last edited by moondeva; 27th April 2007 at 04:52 PM.

Gardenia Musk is quite nice, and it brought kai to my mind as well. It's a lighter fresher greener take on gardenia than usual, but not so bursting as kai.

Today I bravely dumped Tuberose Diabolique on one arm. It's not a buttery, cloying tuberose at all. It reminds me more of a deeper gardenia musk, in fact, with a coconut. It reminds me of the tropical floral note in Chinatown by Bond #9 somehow, though sweeter in a mildly bubblegum kinda way and I seem to get a little mint and a touch of pungent green. I think I like it better than Gardenia Musk.
    Please, spritz responsibly.