Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Mm I just ordered Gardenia Musk...but along with a sample of the Tuberose. Interesting! Oh and I have a sample of Vamp coming too. Well...lots of samples. And a Cafe Noir parfum...and now I want Forbidden Fruits as well. Oh dear. See what you've done, Moondeva!

OK so on to today.

Venus Sands

If this was a song, it would be Cococabana. It starts with a deliciously tropical blast of coconut and tropical flowers. I definitely smell gardenia. As this dries down, I get an impression of vanilla. It's soft and not overly sweet, with a touch of incense at the base. It's like a holiday on my skin.

I admit I've not read this whole thread carefully, as I don't enjoy all categories of fragrance equally. Forgive me if it's been discussed, but have we discussed the differences in formulations?

Some of my samples are parfum oils, and some are EdPs. I'm attracted to oils in general, as they last and generally wear close to skin. My HG kai is the oil formulation. I bought the kai EdP and couldn't bear it -- Ca-loying. These Ava Luxes in oil, however, seem to be having an uneven and somewhat plasticy drydown on me across the board.

My Gardenia Musk arm now smells almost sourly green/metallic with a plastic note. The TD has fared better, but still has a plastic undertone I find unpleasant. I grant you the applications are six hours old, and so kudos to the lasting power---but I'd prefer them to wear off altogether rather than leave unpleasant remnants.

Does anybody get this as well? And can I avoid it by sampling the EdP versions in alcohol?
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Opoponax Intense

Opoponax Intense is primarily a wood scent, yet I get a strong leather vibe from this, probably because of the benzoin. It's smooth, warm, and redolent in balsamic sweetness. There are ambery and incense undertones. This is rich and opulent, and would good layered as well as on its own.

Bohemian Rose
    A wildly sexy and unique rose fragrance that combines wild Turkish rose, Bulgarian rose and Moroccan rose absolutes with sultry night queen flower , bright fresh bergamot and mandarin orange top notes . The fragrance is supported by an ultra rich Tunisian musk base. Notes: bergamot, mandarin, Turkish rose absolute, Bulgarian rose absolute, Moroccan rose absolute, night queen, opoponax, Indian amber, Tunisian musk.
    Fragrance Family Floral (from Ava Luxe website)

This is my favourite #1 Sensual / Sexy fragrance in my fragrance wardrobe.

It's sensual, sexy, mysterious & slightly flirty. This scent gells perfectly with my skin, the rose is never powdery, dusky, musty or synethetic smelling. It's my HG Rose Musk!!!

My hubsand usually doesn't comment on my fragrances at all or it's "wearing the smelly stuff again, honey". But, the first time I wore Bohemian Rose, the comment was "Mmm, you smell pretty", while hugging me then after a slight pause, he breaths in deep & says "Mmmmmmm, you smell so very, very good".

I also have Rasa which gained a positive comment from hubby too, but Bohemian Rose is his favourite. Rasa & Bohemian Rose are similar - BR on my skin is Rose Musk (all about roses) where Rasa is a Musky Rose (all about the musks).

Fire Wood (+ Oude)

I tried Fire Wood alone first, and then layered it with Oude. Before the Oude, it was a very nice, freshly cut wood smell, like you've been out in the forest playing all day. After a few minutes it developed an almost mint tooth paste like note, presumably from the camphorous woods, which went away soon enough. It was NOT a synthetic kind of mint toothpaste smell, just remniscent. Overall I like Fire Wood a lot - it's a great, very raw, very natural woody masculine scent, backed up by a touch of resins (myrrh and frankincense).

But then I layered it with a touch of Ava Luxe Oude and it was amazing. The Oude definitely dominates (it's a soliflore oud/agarwood note after all) but when it's backed up by the Fire Wood, it really shines. Very rich, very masculine, very natural smelling. Not something for warm weather at all, but for cuddling by a fireplace.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 28th April 2007 at 05:43 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Kind of sad that here we are, on the last day of Ava Luxe Week...how time flies: OK, so it was Midnight Violet for me today. I actually also had a sample of Bohemian Rose too, but I didn't ever get to try it because the MIDNIGHT VIOLET BLEW ME AWAY!!!

Unbelievable.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Overall review: Moondeva's review a couple days ago set the stage for me. She likened it to Voleur de Roses, but with violets. To be honest, I did NOT know what violets smelled like. Really. I didn't know what it was going to smell like.

Also another Basenoter mentioned Bowling Green (a classic scent I wore growing up and still have a fondness for) has violets as a top note. This threw me...really, it does, I thought..?

So, I applied Midnight Violet first thing as I left the gym, off to work. It has a dirty grassy (watery) floral smell that opens it up. Then it does that magic thing that No. 88 (Czech & Speake) does where it gets all gentlemanly and strong at the same time. Just beautiful. I got no cinnamon or spice, just violets and dirt (earthy dirt like Demeter's) and civet. Not that grassy moss scent either, just soft and sweet moss. The way it transitioned and kind of blossomed on my skin as the day progressed was pretty magical.

Wonderful longevity and perfect sillage. In fact, I will go so far as saying that Midnight Violet has the most perfect sillage I've ever experienced in a scent (not too strong, not too light). Two people complimented me on my scent tonight (non scent junkies).

I reapplied the rest of the sample this evening because I wanted to see how it performed at night. Just perfectly - even better than the day. A very faint sweetness lingers on my skin (musk? candied moss?)

I have to buy this in bottle - I need this scent in my Wardrobe. I have not been as excited about a new floral scent like this since the first time I sniffed Rose Poivree. I'm looking at violets in a whole new way. Don't you love it when fragrances change your notions as to what smells good to you? I do.

What a nice way to end AL week...

Blog Entries

Floral or Tropical day

Venus Sands
    Quote Originally Posted by ava-luxe.com
    A serene tropical perfume that conjures up images of dreamy island escapes and lazy days spent basking in the warmth of the sun. Buttery gardenias, jasmine sambac, and island orchid with a hint of amber, incense and vanilla. Subtle and warm, perfect for the summertime.

Notes: Gardenia, Jasmine Sambac, Waterlily, Island Orchid, Comoro Ylang Ylang, Bergamot, Nutmeg, Clove, Thai Coconut Milk, Vanilla, Amber, Incense, Sandalwood
    Sweet, warm, sultry floral perfect for summer nights after a day of intense sun worship. Unfortunately, I found the florals stifled and overwhelmed by the syrupy gourmand base. Everything to me is just a shade too sweet. That, of course, is probably just down to the fact that the wonderful heady florals had no chance to unfold and shine in this rather cold British spring. I think this would really come into it's own in the summer time and I will retry it then. But for now this gets very little love from me.

out of

Viva
    Divine Decadence!
    A fragrance for the passionate person for whom life is a cabaret.
    A lusty and sensuous blend of Sudanese black coconut and gardenia, blended with hints of narcissus, night queen, Commores ylang ylang, Egyptian sandalwood and the tiniest touch of greenery. Smooth and sultry. Intoxicating and delicious!

Notes: Black Coconut, Gardenia, Narcissus, Night Queen, Commores Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood, Lily, Green vine
    Oh Boy, I am so miffed that my wonderful week is ending on such a sour note. I cannot convey just how awful I found this scent today.

Again I offer the mitigating excuse that the current colder weather is not allowing this blend to unfold properly. Also I must admit that my sample is from a bundle of older formulation and it may have been tweaked since then. However this smells exactly like the cheap incense sticks you can get down the market called 'Black Coconut' 3 bundles for £2.50.

I expected a rich, sexy floral akin to Guerlain Mahora or Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger kissed by a dark coconut, but instead got ubersweet, synthetic black coconut that smothered any other notes that were trying to emerge. for those of you loving Venus Sands, Viva is her big sister out on a mission.

I shall revisit in summer but I really do not think that this scent is for me. A disappointing end to a fantabulous week.

out of

Last edited by moondeva; 28th April 2007 at 01:59 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Basenotes Institution

Did anybody (except for Maxwell) try Ava Luxe's Nag Champa? When I order my samples I might order a few more, and the Nag Champa I'm curious about, but I wanted some other opinions. If I remember he said it turned 'vanilla' in the dry down, which in my opinion doesn't sound very 'incense-y'?

Also a follow up comment about Film Noir: I had a little left in the sample bottle from earlier in the week and when I sampled it a second time I really got that barnyard/leather thing going on. I wore it (mistakenly) to the gym where I was in a kick boxing class and about halfway through the class the scent took on a life of its own!! Due to my sweat it became sharply industrial (an almost synthetic shreaking note) that reminded me of plastic outdoor pools or those plastic pool toys you have to fill with air, mixed with leather notes. Such a strange fascinating scent...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th April 2007 at 08:29 PM.

So is that a thumbs down on Film Noir?

I have to sample the Midnight Violet and get some of the other chypre offerings.

Has anybody tested the vintage Chypre, based on the Coty classic? A repro of that one sounds ideal for summer.

I have quite a few Ava Luxe samples that I'd be happy to send on in exchange for AL samples I don't have. I have Midnight Violet, Royal Parvati, Absinthe Luxe, Kretek, Indian Summer, and Shisha, as well as some others. Maybe by exchanging samples we can keep the thread going?

The Film Noir really didn't work for me - I found it really medicinal. However, it wasn't as bad on me as White Tea.
    However I've been overall very impressed by Ava Luxe and have two on order, more samples coming and plans to buy at least two others, so thanks for this week - it's been interesting and fun! Call me a paid up member of AL-Anon!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    So is that a thumbs down on Film Noir?

I have to sample the Midnight Violet and get some of the other chypre offerings.
    No, on the contrary, its a thumbs up. Love strange, kind of avant garde scents...however I realize that these kinds of scents have a time and place and a sweaty non-ventilated kickboxing class in Miami in springtime is probably not one of them.

Please try Midnight Violet - I would have easily never tried this due to the name. Midnight Violet sounds kind of 'tacky goth', no..? Maybe we should rename it Midnight Violence. Too harsh, huh? Just joking...however the juice is a-MAY-zing. Can't say enough.

Talking Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

So I bought my next round of samples!

so did I....and a bottle of Love's True Bluish Light!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Did anybody (except for Maxwell) try Ava Luxe's Nag Champa? When I order my samples I might order a few more, and the Nag Champa I'm curious about, but I wanted some other opinions. If I remember he said it turned 'vanilla' in the dry down, which in my opinion doesn't sound very 'incense-y'?...
    I have a sample of her Nag Champa (surprise, surprise ) and I agree that it is more vanilla than incense in dry down.

I have found a great fragrance oil and two perfume oils that are much better at capturing the softly floral but distinctly incensy scent that is Nag Champa. For me, on my chemistry, Ava Luxe Nag Champa was definitely more miss than hit.

Still it is a great scent that would be delicious in summer on a warm balmy evening.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Wink Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

OK,OK....I bought a bottle too.

I bought Midnight Violets, totally unsniffed, on Mike's glowing recommendation.

And now that I finished placing the order, I am absolutely craving more Venus Sands, which is reminding me of something else...maybe the Bal a Versailles dry down...yum
    Last edited by Zibeline; 29th April 2007 at 02:56 AM.

Basenotes Institution

OK,OK....I bought a bottle too.

I bought Midnight Violets, totally unsniffed, on Mike's glowing recommendation.
    You GO girl!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. If not, I'm sure you can unload it easy here on BN (wink, wink)

Me too! Me too! Nine - to be exact. Can't wait 'til Fall!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Fall? I'm not waiting that long!!!

I've ordered some samples too. I hope it's not too late to join in...but if it is that doesn't matter so much, because I'll enjoy the samples anyway. I got an e-mail this morning to say they had shipped.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Blog Entries

Hey! We made it!! :bounce:

A full week of everything Ava Luxe and here we are still craving more!

I have had so much fun and want to thank all of you that partcipated and helped this wonderful experience happen. Thank you!
    Also big shout outs to my co-hosts Taolady and mikeperez23. :toppie:

Please feel free to continue adding reviews of the Ava Luxe blends that you try. Since this is the Spring /Summer edition we need loads of reviews of how the different blends work in the warmer weather. There are way too many scents to try (with more on the way) to stop adding to this thread now!

I also have a few more samples on the way and would love to be able to add my reviews to a still active thread. (Does anyone read my reviews anyway?! )

much love,
    moondeva

I read your reviews Deva and I am wild about this thread.

So many interesting scents to explore, from romantic soliflores, to what Mike would call "avant garde" scents. The best thing about AL scents, IMO, is the way they develop and evolve in ways that can be quite unexpected and intriguing.

Just when I was ready to dismiss Venus Sands as just another gardenia, it evolved into an ambery incense seductress.

I am looking forward to my new package from AL with bated (and baited) breath!

Smile Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Cheers Moondeva, fabulous thread and soooooo informative. I chose my samples mainly to get more of a feel for tropical scents, a theme I was dying to explore. Comparing the gardenia, tiare, pikaki, etc. scents was excellent. I also found a new love in the gorgeous Pearl Musk which, as I am fond of some soft musk scents, I had to order too!

Hello all...thanks to my still broken computer I missed the Ava Luxe week...but I did sniff and test along with everyone...so am just going to write a few words about each scent I tested if that's ok?...

Right...Well, whilst on my Gardenia/tropical flowers binge, I ordered gardenia Rain and Venus Sands unsniffed, plus Royal Vanilla (also unsniffed) and a sample of Frangipani...I got 4 samples free...Pearl Musk, Nude Musk, Madonna Lily, and Heart of Glass...

so...
    Gardenia Rain: opens quite green and slightly plasticky (actually a problem on all the bottles I got)...but after 10-15 mins settles down into a breezy gardenia, cool and airy with something that seems almost mentholish( possibly the 'ozone')...then a warm sweet vanilla ( although there's no vanilla listed) seems to waft up through the layers of flower and air ...it gets very lovely in the dry down...it's layered into cool and warm...like the opposition of warm sun-baked earth with the cooling evening breeze...very nice.

Venus Sands: again, a plasticky, synthetic opening, that settles down into quite a strong jasmine + tuberose scent on me...I get no coconut at all...and very very little spices, but it certainly has a tropical feel...
    Heart of Glass actually smells a lot more like what I expected Venus Sands to smell like...I get a noticeable oily coconut from this and a really delicious tuberose...it's a gourmand floral on me for sure - loved it!

Now...Royal Vanilla! - wow...this is one strange and shocking scent on me!...I tried it first on a very cool day...and it reeked of fried electrics and burnt plastic! not pleasant!....but I tried it again the next day when the weather was warmer and it was completely different...it is, however, still utterly shocking...on me this is a bone, bone dry fragrance!...it smells like vanilla pods being fried to burning in a dry pan! - it's charred vanilla...there's a little bit of tar in there too....very very dark...it smells matt black to me... I really like it, but have no idea where or when to wear it!?

Madonna Lily is v nice...lush, pretty, lily...like the lily in Donna Karan Gold, but without the heaviness I got from the D.K.

Frangipani - is gorgeous!!! - perfect, but simple...the exact smell of the warm fragrant air in the shade beneath a frangipani tree - love it!

however...the biggest suprise of my testing was Nude Musk...
    If you had asked me to order every Ava Luxe scent in order of which I'd be likely to buy first, this would have come out somewhere down in the 100's...then I smelled it...
    This is just beautiful...it's the antithesis of everything I ordinarily go for in a scent but somehow it has seduced me...lol
    It's fresh but not boring, light but not airy...it is warm, wet, and clean, like hot skin after a shower...it has a bittersweet aspect to it...like lemon cheescake, and a sour milkyness (but in a good way lol)...like creme fraiche....I have ordered a bottle, and can't wait for it to arrive...mmmn!

Well, c'est tout!
    xx

Well with a load more samples coming for many of us, it seems, I think we should keep this open!

Hey Merle! Glad to have your "late" reviews - as a result of which I've added three more "gotta tries" to my list! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

From what I've tried this week, it seems like I'm destined for a full bottle of Fig Wood, Cafe Noir and maybe Palisander. Very, very nice stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    From what I've tried this week, it seems like I'm destined for a full bottle of Fig Wood, Cafe Noir and maybe Palisander. Very, very nice stuff.
    Maxwell, you have great taste - and a bit more self control than myself.

This past week has left me lemming (wanting) full bottles of at least 6 new perfumes and I have more untried samples on the way!!

My current Ava Luxe Full Bottle wishlist includes:

Midnight Violet
    Amber Essence
    Royal Parvati
    Biba
    Kama Xtreme
    Madame X
    Milk
    Absinthe
    Linen Musk
    Royal Vanilla

... and to further add to my pain, Serena has just launched her latest scent, No.23, which sounds like a must try:

In ancient numerology the number 23 was regarded as a sacred number of magic and enchantment. It's sometimes referred to as The Royal Star of the Lion and it bestows abundant grace and blessing to those influenced by it. No 23 perfume is a unique blend of Sandalwood, Hawthorn blossoms , Acacia, Rose, Himalayan Geranium , Lavender, and Musk. The floral notes are wonderfully balanced by the rich sandalwood heart, while the musk adds a subtle powdery touch. Magical!
    ::sigh::
    Last edited by moondeva; 30th April 2007 at 02:25 PM.

as my bottle "wishlist" for Ava Luxe grows, I am wondering if many of you order the perfume oil (which can be had with a roller ball top) or the EDP spray?

I have on MILK perfume oil today, which I ordered in the rollerball...yummy! But I have yet to order in the spray...

My "Wishlist" so far..

Palisander
    Cafe Noir
    Little Love
    Madame X
    Biba

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Also big shout outs to my co-hosts Taolady and mikeperez23. :toppie:
    You're welcome Moondeva - it was fun and extremely enlightening.

My first assumption was that most of the Ava Luxe's were going to be just 'okay' considering the amount of perfumes that the line has (she just churns them out - doesn't she!?) Surprisingly, my assumptions were wrong. Most of them I REALLY LIKED. A few I really LOVED.

They have a real depth and complexity to them that even some of the big houses are sorely lacking these days.

Full bottles for me include:

Film Noir
    Midnight Violet

I already own Absinthe (which is my secret 'ray gun' of a fragrance...so very wonderful)

Samples I'm gonna order (cause you guys/gals piqued my curiosity)

Milk
    Rasa
    Cafe Noir
    Loves True Bluish Light
    Palisander

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    [Please feel free to continue adding reviews of the Ava Luxe blends that you try. Since this is the Spring /Summer edition we need loads of reviews of how the different blends work in the warmer weather. There are way too many scents to try (with more on the way) to stop adding to this thread now! [/SIZE][/FONT]

I also have a few more samples on the way and would love to be able to add my reviews to a still active thread. (Does anyone read my reviews anyway?! )

much love,
    moondeva
    Can't speak for anyone else but I hang on every word, dear MoonDeva, and I am so glad we're keeping this going!! I have already ordered nine more samples - based on the reviews here - and since ordering have added four more for the next round - including the new #23!!

On the SotD thread today, a member has reported that the order center at AL is closed down - have we over-run her!! :bounce:

Unhappy Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Looks like the whole site is closed for this reason, which is too bad. I enjoy just looking at the site and the notes and thinking about what to try next.

Basenotes Institution

Poor Ava Luxe...she's probably burnt out after all of us attacked her site last week I'm sure she'll back up-and-running soon.

BTW - I think it's such a coincidence that they're releasing their newest scent named '23' after the owners lucky number.

My lucky number is 23 (that's why I created my screen name with '23' in it). Whoever gets the 23 sample first, post your thoughts/review.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd May 2007 at 02:01 AM.

I've been quite the drive-by poster. Sigh...why does work have to get in the way of what's really important, lol.

Whoever gets the 23 sample first, post your thoughts/review.
    I doubt that I am the first to get a sample of 23, but I did get one with my recent full-bottle order. Serena also included a free gift, a bottle of Shisha lotion!

To me (and I admit that my nose is probably not the most refined) 23 smells a lot like Shisha, so much so that I wouldn't need a full bottle of both. That's just my impression, of course, after one sample wearing. I realize the notes are supposed to be different, according to the website before it went down, but still...

I adore the full bottles I received, several 5 ml roll-ons of extrait. My current infatuation is Bohemian Rose, which is surprising considering I am usually not a fan of florals. Maybe it helps that the man I am seeing smelled it on me and pronounced it "irresistible." ;-)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    To me (and I admit that my nose is probably not the most refined) 23 smells a lot like Shisha, so much so that I wouldn't need a full bottle of both. That's just my impression, of course, after one sample wearing. I realize the notes are supposed to be different, according to the website before it went down, but still...

I adore the full bottles I received, several 5 ml roll-ons of extrait. My current infatuation is Bohemian Rose, which is surprising considering I am usually not a fan of florals. Maybe it helps that the man I am seeing smelled it on me and pronounced it "irresistible." ;-)
    23 smells like Shisha? Is it as sweet - I thought Shisha was quite the 'gourmand monster' on me?

Another coincidence - I used up all of my AL samples, except for Bohemian Rose, which I haven't sniffed yet. Now, I want to...would you consider it a unisex rose?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd May 2007 at 01:59 AM.

23 smells like Shisha? Is it as sweet - I thought Shisha was quite the 'gourmand monster' on me?
    It's funny how different scents can be on different people. Shisha, on me, is sweet, but definitely has a slight tobacco edge. 23 is also sweet (please remember I've only worn it once). I had 23 on one wrist and Shisha on the other and I had a hard time determining notes that were individual to each. Maybe the incense which is listed as a note for 23 smells like the 'tobacco edge' I get in Shisha? I wouldn't consider Shisha to be a big gourmand on me, although I do get the honey note.

Another coincidence - I used up all of my AL samples, except for Bohemian Rose, which I haven't sniffed yet. Now, I want to...would you consider it a unisex rose?
    Well, according to the man I'm seeing (who is not a perfume enthusiast in the least, bless his heart), Bohemian Rose is very sexy and womanly. ;-) I myself think it is ROSE (yes, screaming rose, lol) with musk, as opposed to Rasa which I find to be MUSK (powerful) with rose (does that make sense?). You said you have a sample? I would be interested to hear how it behaves on you.

ETA: I hope I didn't plagarize the comparison of Bohemian Rose with Rasa. It seems familiar, but very true for me. I usually run from ROSE scents. It must be the touch of musk in Bohemian Rose and the abundance of musk in Rasa that makes me like these scents. I do like musks.
    Last edited by Pebbles; 2nd May 2007 at 02:27 AM.

Bohemian Rose is one of my absolute favourites so would love to add my thoughts on this fragrance.

It's sensual, sexy, mysterious & a tad flirty so because of the way this scent makes me feel, I automatically think "I am woman" when I wear it. But, it's definitely not girly or ladylike. On the flip side, it's doesn't send out a "I'm a sure thing" message, but a "if you play your cards right... you might just get lucky" kind of message. Gee, I hope you understand what I'm meaning. On my skin it has a citrus top note then turns into a beautiful true rose scent with base notes of tunisian musk.

I'd be interested to know how it works on your skin & if you would be comfortable wearing BR for a night out on the town.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight_flower View Post
    On the flip side, it's doesn't send out a "I'm a sure thing" message, but a "if you play your cards right... you might just get lucky" kind of message.
    Maybe that's the message my man is getting from Bohemian Rose and the reason he likes it so much. ;-) Great description!

I really wanted to go back to the Ava-Luxe site and order some lotions to go with my perfumes. I am disappointed she is temporarily closed, but my credit card rejoices.
    Last edited by Pebbles; 2nd May 2007 at 03:53 AM.

I got my second batch of samples today, 4 ordered and 3 freebies!

AND my marvelous bottle of Midnight Violet....what a revelation this one is! Violets and Iris...animalic and chypre..with just a hint of spice. The overall effect is really very earthy and sensuous.

Many thanks Mikeperez23 for making this one feel irresistible: You were right!

Basenotes Institution

I got my second batch of samples today, 4 ordered and 3 freebies!

AND my marvelous bottle of Midnight Violet....what a revelation this one is! Violets and Iris...animalic and chypre..with just a hint of spice. The overall effect is really very earthy and sensuous.

Many thanks Mikeperez23 for making this one feel irresistible: You were right!

YAY!!!

So glad you fell in love with MV - I'm so glad! Did you get the parfum or the EdP?

MV was just one of those scents that totally threw me for a loop - I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I thought I knew what violet frags smelled like - I didn't.

You know I am sampling the Tom Fords and I have already tried 4 of them and not any that I have tried has struck me as strongly as MV.

I got the same emotional reaction from Film Noir too - quite a gem.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    Maybe that's the message my man is getting from Bohemian Rose and the reason he likes it so much. ;-) .
    Oh boy. Another one!!

Still loving the Midnight Violet...something a little Habanita like in that drydown...just a little.

Anyway, I'm digging into the samples too!

The White Lilac is beautiful and while it is not the same as those in my yard, it fills a lilac craving very nicely.

A little disappointed with Chypre type. I am getting major soap and water with this one.

Tomorrow I plan on trying 23 and Bohemain Rose.

That will leave Queen Bess, Incense Rose and Peonies
    --------------------------------------
    Update:

Bohemian Rose is not for me.

Maybe it's because I have the EDP and the parfum would last long or be more of the musky rose I'd hoped for, or maybe it's because I can't figure out what the Night Queen note is.

Anyway, I am after a couple hours left with a mandarin and just a hint of rose.

Yes, it's pretty and clean and I can see how it could be flirty, but it's not what I was looking for.

Maybe I'm looking for something more animalic in a scent that calls itself "bohemian"?
    Maybe I want Roses or Rasa?
    Last edited by Zibeline; 9th May 2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Smile Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

I suggested Ava Luxe Orange Flowers as a wonderful orange blossom fragrance to Taolady on the SOTD thread. Here's the review as promised...

ORANGE FLOWERS - LUXE EDITION (description from Ava Luxe website)

Deliciously sweet and heady candied orange blossoms are intermingled with waxy white blossoms of jasmine, narcissus, and tuberose. A scent to warm the heart and lift the spirit.

Notes: Orange blossom, Indian Tuberose, Indian Star Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Petitgrain, Grass, Neroli, Narcissus, Vanilla Absolute, Vanilla flower, Nutmeg, Green Musk, Sandalwood, Rosewood

This is the only Orange Blossom fragrance that I love, it's heady flowers - orange blossom dominates but it's wonderfully supported by the other florals. There a beautiful sweetness to this scent, not fruity but gorgeous natural floral sweetness, maybe it's this almost honey like floral sweetness that attracts bees to flowers. This sweetness counteracts the strong sharpness that I usually get with orange blossom scents. Also, there's a hint of green, a touch of creamy texture & then it finishes with a lovely orange musk that has a tinge of powder to it. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Basenotes Institution

Tried Bohemian Rose today - quick review:

The rose note initially started 'wet' on me (roses being washed in a bowl of water) and then got slight soapy when the gentlest 'baby shampoo' note showed up and stuck around for the entire top note. After that its rose gave way to a little more amber but really light amber. I got no orange that some other people mentioned.

Longevity was extremely low - it was almost gone in about 3 hours. Sillage low too.

Perhaps I should stick with my rose powerhouses (No. 88, Rose Poivree, etc...)

I'll keep this going as I've received a HUGE batch of samples to test.

Madame X

Madame X is a tart with a heart; a dominatrix with a hidden, softer side. She is all business when she starts out; leather and civet and attitude. The initial kick is more hay loft romp than dungeon, however; the hay note is pronounced, with a bit of leather and that fecal note (oops, did we roll in a cow pat?) lurking in the background. Donít be put off, however. Madame X is quick to mellow and the fecal note disappears, leaving a surprisingly delicious and sexy woody, ambery, musky melange. She isnít quite gourmand, but there is definitely something yummy going on here. Now that Madame X has stomped on you with her stiletto boots, wrestled you to the floor and had her way with you, she wants to snuggle.
    This is a delicious and complex scent, and though initially a little scary, the dry down is wonderful and very long lasting. Definitely full bottle worthy. Serena, youíve done it again!

Amber Essence

A concoction of three types of amber and a splash of myrrh, Amber Essence is fairly straightforward. This is a good quality amber fragrance, and if you have a spot free in your wardrobe for such a thing, then look no further. Smooth, warm and mellow, Amber Essence can be worn on its own but would also be ideal for layering.
    However, since I already have a stunning Amber in Ambre Sultan, Iíll be saving my cash for some of the other delicious Ava Luxe fragrances Iíve been testing.

I been posting reviews for Loves True Bluish Light - Moss - Forbidden Fruits and Cafe Noir over here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195976 if anybody cares!!

Basenotes Institution

Yes - keep them Ava Luxe reviews coming. I'm getting ready to order samples in a couple weeks and I want some 'winners'!

I know for sure I'm gonna try:

Loves Trueish Blue Light
    Forbidden Fruits
    Cafe Noir
    Vamp

I have a LTBL sample sat there waiting for me - I did dab a bit on the other night and know it's going on my to buy list. The vanilla is gorgeous and then the musk lasts for aaaages.

Forbidden Fruits in on my to buy list from last time...
    Cafe Noir I already bought (the 5ml parfum)
    Madame X is on the to buy list now.

I'm glad she does small sizes so I can have lots!

I also have Vamp waiting to try (seriously, I have about 15 samples or so) so will give feedback on that when I do.

I need more!

I'll be ordering musks and the rest of the untried chypres next and Roses and Rasa...and of course a nice bottle of MV Parfum.

This is a MUST right now for me.

Rasa is definitely a winner. It's just a real beeee-itch that I can't wear it. Bah!

" if any body cares" ?
    Of course, we care !
    Sometimes, it's just a m,atter of time management...

Madame X and I love each other, but she's very kittenish with me-
    Not 'kitten with a whip' [my mother's nickname for me, back in high school, lol].
    I adore the new #23 as well.
    So many loves, so little flesh...

I dabbed a bit of #23 on last night. Swore I smelled bergamot, but none listed in the ingredients. Odd!

I've ordered a large bottle of Love's True Bluish Light (I've gone through 3 roll-on bottles) and 3 bottles of the Stardust Body Lotion in Nude Musk, White Musk, and Ambra Tibet, (I own one in Love's True Bluish Light and I love this stuff.)

Kretek

The idea of clove cigarettes isn't that appealing to me, but as the sample came as a freebie I thought I'd give it a whirl.
    It smells exactly as you'd expect: tobacco, and a lot of cloves. It's an almost medicinal smell, but there's a warmer, sweeter undertone as the amber kicks in, and it ends up smelling more like a big pomander.
    It's not unpleasant but not really for me. I can see this would be appealing to a lot of men, but I'd rather wear Tabac Blond, or something like Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris.
    Essentially, this delivers exactly what it promises. It's just not something I would choose to wear myself.
    Wild Blackberry Musk

This kicks off with a gorgeous, fruity blackberry - not a smidgeon of cat's pee - just lovely jammy goodness. The scent did not stay on my arms for long (I type on a laptop at work so scents tend to rub off) but remained on my chest all day. I did not get much musk from this, however, though it is a sensual fragrance.
    Vamp
    With notes of Oriental Spices, Amber, Sandalwood, Labdanum, Vanilla and Cashmere Musk, Vamp is a warm but sexy fragrance. It belongs to the same family as scents like Miller Harris' L'Air de Rien, though it has a little more spice and a little less musk than that fragrance. It goes on nicely and has good longevity but, on me, sits so close to the skin that I could barely smell it on myself. Admittedly even powerhouse fragrances like Poison sit close to my skin - I seem to be able to kill off any sillage a fragrance might produce - but Vamp is so quiet on me I have to literally bring my arm to my face to smell anything at all. Thus I think it's unlikely anyone else could smell it on me.
    Overall, my opinion is favourable. This is a nice fragrance. However, I need something a little more powerful as my skin chemistry won't allow this gem to shine.

Tuberose
    Although this flower is backed up by vanilla, sandalwood, white musk and gardenia, this is a pretty straightforward tuberose soliflore. It is not exactly a shy and retiring flower, but nor is it overly raucous. I don't get the rubbery autoshop smell that some people talk of in connectin with tuberose scents; instead it is all lush, tropical blooms. Some may prefer Ava Luxe's amber-based Tuberose Diabolique, but if you're after a more straightforward tuberose scent, this is worth trying.
    White

Classified by Ava Luxe as a gourmand oriental, White starts off with a whiff of what smells very much like cocoa butter. But, unlike any other gourmand I’ve tried, it morphs into a cool, almost aquatic scent, before finally revealing a gentle musky base. Like most scents, this has very little projection on me, even though today was a hot one. The overall impression is clean and slightly soapy – nice for daytime, but not really evening wear. I’ve become a big fan of Ava Luxe over the last couple of months, but White, though pleasant, isn’t really me.
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 23rd May 2007 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hey, I got my newest Ava Luxe parcel today...bottles of Love's True Bluish Light and Nude Musk....I bought the LTBL unsniffed because people were raving about it so much...and you weren't lying, it's gorgeous!...soft, and pretty but warm and sexy at the same time...mmmmnn...actually it has a lot of similarities with the Nude Musk, but that is brighter, a little sparkling, which I guess is the bergamot...I am so pleased with both these purchases because they're the perfect scents for wearing day to day in my university environment...sexy and interesting enough not to be boring but not too kind of in your face...which I sometimes feel about my favourite CDG parfum...plus that is so not a summer scent...
    which brings me back to my earlier reviews...having worn Venus Sands and Royal Vanilla a lot more often in the gradually more balmy weather, I have realized that they truly are warm weather scents...they smell totally different in heat...Venus Sands becomes gloriously tropical - where before I couldn't get any coconut or spice or anything, now it's a sweaty sticky delight of sandy sun tan lotion and heady flowers...
    Royal Vanilla performs better for me in the heat too...it loses a little of the dark dry edge and gets warmer and sweeter...I liked it a lot before, but it's even better in warmer weather...do you think this has something to do with the scents being created in a warm climate?...
    Anyway...Ava Luxe yum yum...
    Got some new samples to test too...so will post another time with more thoughts.
    R xx

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Kretek

The idea of clove cigarettes isn't that appealing to me, but as the sample came as a freebie I thought I'd give it a whirl.
    It smells exactly as you'd expect: tobacco, and a lot of cloves. It's an almost medicinal smell, but there's a warmer, sweeter undertone as the amber kicks in, and it ends up smelling more like a big pomander.
    It's not unpleasant but not really for me. I can see this would be appealing to a lot of men, but I'd rather wear Tabac Blond, or something like Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris.
    Essentially, this delivers exactly what it promises. It's just not something I would choose to wear myself.
    Wild Blackberry Musk

This kicks off with a gorgeous, fruity blackberry - not a smidgeon of cat's pee - just lovely jammy goodness. The scent did not stay on my arms for long (I type on a laptop at work so scents tend to rub off) but remained on my chest all day. I did not get much musk from this, however, though it is a sensual fragrance.
    Vamp
    With notes of Oriental Spices, Amber, Sandalwood, Labdanum, Vanilla and Cashmere Musk, Vamp is a warm but sexy fragrance. It belongs to the same family as scents like Miller Harris' L'Air de Rien, though it has a little more spice and a little less musk than that fragrance. It goes on nicely and has good longevity but, on me, sits so close to the skin that I could barely smell it on myself. Admittedly even powerhouse fragrances like Poison sit close to my skin - I seem to be able to kill off any sillage a fragrance might produce - but Vamp is so quiet on me I have to literally bring my arm to my face to smell anything at all. Thus I think it's unlikely anyone else could smell it on me.
    Overall, my opinion is favourable. This is a nice fragrance. However, I need something a little more powerful as my skin chemistry won't allow this gem to shine.

Tuberose
    Although this flower is backed up by vanilla, sandalwood, white musk and gardenia, this is a pretty straightforward tuberose soliflore. It is not exactly a shy and retiring flower, but nor is it overly raucous. I don't get the rubbery autoshop smell that some people talk of in connectin with tuberose scents; instead it is all lush, tropical blooms. Some may prefer Ava Luxe's amber-based Tuberose Diabolique, but if you're after a more straightforward tuberose scent, this is worth trying.
    White

Classified by Ava Luxe as a gourmand oriental, White starts off with a whiff of what smells very much like cocoa butter. But, unlike any other gourmand Iíve tried, it morphs into a cool, almost aquatic scent, before finally revealing a gentle musky base. Like most scents, this has very little projection on me, even though today was a hot one. The overall impression is clean and slightly soapy Ė nice for daytime, but not really evening wear. Iíve become a big fan of Ava Luxe over the last couple of months, but White, though pleasant, isnít really me.
    wow! Thanks a lot i liked your reviews!

Cheers! Still working my way through batch number 2, so I'll post 'em as I wear 'em.

Talking Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Ava Luxe Peonies over Egyptian Musk...gorgeous!

Started the day in another's arms but have returned to senses in #23 - which is so far just lovely. I get sandalwood under geranium and another floral (and I think I get some bergamot too, Indiscreet) I could be come a one-house girl!!

Blog Entries

Ava Luxe Peonies over Egyptian Musk...gorgeous!
    Oooh, that sounds gorgeous!

::Quickly puts on stern face::

We'll need a bit more info than that, missy! Please add to the Ava Luxe Experience - Next Level thread (layering combos) with greater details, answering the questions listed...etc, etc, harumph, harumph, harumph. ::looking pompous::

OK, that may not have worked...

Pretty please?! With a big red cherry on the top?! Thank you!

(I know no shame, I'll do whatever it takes)