Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Default Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Aside from Midnight Violet, do any of her fragrances have a clear violet note? The more I read these reviews the more I'd like to save up for a good batch of samples.

Thank you!

You know, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh View Post
    I used it the other day and it worked. I think it has to be all lower case or Capital B and rest all lower case. Give it another try.
    Thanks Babes! Didn't even think of that. Will do - will report!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I think the shopping cart function is down during Serena's vacation.
    Currently wearing: Bluebell by Penhaligon's

Not having read all the 21 pages on this thread (just most of them), has the subject of Ava Luxe dupes come up yet? I tried her version of Chaos and FdB and liked them. I heard she did one of Venezia. Is this so??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Not having read all the 21 pages on this thread (just most of them), has the subject of Ava Luxe dupes come up yet? I tried her version of Chaos and FdB and liked them. I heard she did one of Venezia. Is this so??
    I adore her Chaos type even though I have never tried the original. I love it anyway! Her latest version of Silk is also very nice - a softer, less sharply woody take on the Feminite du Bois theme. I would classify Silk as a wearable day version of the more intense evening FdB. I adore the original and intend to enjoy both. Also it's good to know that I can get complimentary body products to layer with the original for very few .

Venezia is one of her vintage ones I have yet to try, but I have every intention of doing so.

Of the few I have tried so far my only major disappointment was her Lanvin Scandal type, which sadly lived up to it's name by being nothing but a nasty insult to it's inspiration and namesake...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Basenotes Institution

Sniffed Moksha for the first time today. Um...wow. No other fragrance except Jicky, have I smelled so much...is it civet. Wow.

I'd love to hear feedback and comments on those who've smelled this/wore this.

Smells like sandalwood, sex and excrement. I am fascinated.

Wink Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

oh. my. god. I cannot claim to be Serena's best customer - but I have been ordering samples and deluxe samples like a maniac!!
    Like most Bnoters - am totally loving Madame X and Love's Tru Bluish Light - but more different fragrances to each other or what!! I have bought full bottles of each as well a few of the body products.

The following are some more that I have tried lately in no particular order and my thoughts:

Doll Face: I really like this. Similar to Loves' True but the volume turned down. If you want an introduction to Ava's vanilla/musk line I would try this. Really nice when worn to bed.

Angel Face: This is nice too. Has a sweeter/sharper edge to it that gets into my nose slightly. I like it - but wouldn't wear again.

Carnet Del Bar - I haven't worn the original - but this is sex on a stick. Serious woods and patchouli which I LOVE! Pretty strong - but I like leaving an impression.

Ambre' Antique - Ooooh yeah! Amber! Amber! AMBER!!! Bring it on. If you like Amber
    Essence in Ava Luxe - try this to really have an overdose!

Ambra Tibet - Ooooh I love this too. I am hopeless with this. The Amber/incense/spice frags of Serena's are just wonderful. Got. to. buy.

Neroli Blossom - You have plucked an orange flower, rubbed it between your fingers then rubbed it on your neck with your kitchen all spice. While crooking your finger to your loved one. Irresistable.

Roses: Nahema!! by Guerlain. Bright roses. Not dried roses in a pot pourri with a sprinkling of Grandma dust - but serious fresh roses with grated lemon zest and someone chucked in some lawn clippings (with the dirt) for good measure. Nice.

Cashmere Musk: Is that Musk? Surely not. Too subtle. Too quiet. No headache. Oh, hang on. Husband is saying I will rub your feet. Must be musk.

I found Cashmere Musk quite strident, actually. Definitely musk! But it's not a dirty, armpitty musk. I didn't quite like this one, but there are other musks in the collection that are very nice. Pearl Musk could tempt me - it's a very clean, light musk but also sexy. Would be great layered. Maybe one to buy in the lotion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh View Post
    oh. my. god. I cannot claim to be Serena's best customer - but I have been ordering samples and deluxe samples like a maniac!!
    Like most Bnoters - am totally loving Madame X and Love's Tru Bluish Light - but more different fragrances to each other or what!! I have bought full bottles of each as well a few of the body products.

The following are some more that I have tried lately in no particular order and my thoughts:

Doll Face: I really like this. Similar to Loves' True but the volume turned down. If you want an introduction to Ava's vanilla/musk line I would try this. Really nice when worn to bed.

Angel Face: This is nice too. Has a sweeter/sharper edge to it that gets into my nose slightly. I like it - but wouldn't wear again.

Carnet Del Bar - I haven't worn the original - but this is sex on a stick. Serious woods and patchouli which I LOVE! Pretty strong - but I like leaving an impression.

Ambre' Antique - Ooooh yeah! Amber! Amber! AMBER!!! Bring it on. If you like Amber Essence in Ava Luxe - try this to really have an overdose!

Ambra Tibet - Ooooh I love this too. I am hopeless with this. The Amber/incense/spice frags of Serena's are just wonderful. Got. to. buy.

Neroli Blossom - You have plucked an orange flower, rubbed it between your fingers then rubbed it on your neck with your kitchen all spice. While crooking your finger to your loved one. Irresistable.

Roses: Nahema!! by Guerlain. Bright roses. Not dried roses in a pot pourri with a sprinkling of Grandma dust - but serious fresh roses with grated lemon zest and someone chucked in some lawn clippings (with the dirt) for good measure. Nice.

Cashmere Musk: Is that Musk? Surely not. Too subtle. Too quiet. No headache. Oh, hang on. Husband is saying I will rub your feet. Must be musk.
    LOL! I loved these reviews - especially for the Cashmere Musk! My S.O. is exactly the same...

I have been wondering about Carnet de Bal, Ambre Antique and Ambra Tibet - especially for autumn / winter but had managed to quiet the lemmings. Now they are up and making a ruckuss again!

I adore Amber Essence (it smells / wears like Le Labo Labdanum #18 on me) and I have it on my 'full bottle to buy' list but Ambre Antique is sounding like a must try / buy also...

Gumoosh you are a true lemming farmer!!

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

kudos and thanks to moondeva and serena great news i want everything

I am seriously contemplating another AL purchase soon. I will be buying early gifts for my friends and family who have made so very many positive comments about LTBL and Moss. I am developing a serious "need" for Incense Rose as well. Roses was less Intense than Nahema on me, and that is a good thing, but Incense Rose captures what I like best about each of these scents and also has the advantage of not being a Luxe edition at Luxe prices. The Incense note is easy on the nose and not churchy or headshoppy, and I love the oude note in IR as well. It's my favorite from my last round of samples.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 12th August 2007 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luyuan View Post

Ava-Luxe Shambhala Tibet : Sadly Shambhala Tibet smelled exactly like a Chinese Traditional Medicine cure for colds that I use. It is very strong, syrupy, with an herbal bent. My BF thought that the medicinal smell was kind of nice but I just don't want to smell like this - maybe because it makes me think of being sick. However, if you like medicinal scents like Dzongkha you might want to try this one.
    I LOVE this one. Puts Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire on notice IMO. Earth and wood with a hint of smoke. Outstanding Haitian vetiver in this one. Just may become my HG vetiver.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    I am seriously contemplating another AL purchase soon. I will be buying early gifts for my friends and family who have made so very many LTBL and Moss. I am developing a serious "need" for Incense Rose as well. Roses was less Intense than Nahema on me, and that is a good thing, but Incense Rose captures what I like best about each of these scents and also has the advantage of not being a Luxe edition at Luxe prices. The Incense note is easy on the nose and not churchy or headshoppy, and I love the oude note in IR as well. It's my favorite from my last round of samples.
    I'll second that. I bought the 5ml sample of Incense Rose and I'm likely to go through it in a hurry. I'll be wearing this one out on the town this eve. The incense (olibanum) plays a minor role, perfectly accenting the performance of the Damask rose and rose maroc. Then there's the oude...oh my.

Will there be a fall/winter edition of Ava Luxe testing?

BTW Love's Truish Blue Light? Vanilla and white musk at their best. Soft, warm, comforting, intimate,...I feel this one.
    Last edited by Sloan; 11th August 2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    [...]Will there be a fall/winter edition of Ava Luxe testing? [...]
    Yes, indeed. It was provisionally scheduled for mid-October to catch the transistion time between autumn & winter as a great time to explore how many of these blends work in cooler weathers...

I am still happy to organise it for that time and would love to hear views / suggestions on how we can improve the experience... (if we can).

Last edited by moondeva; 12th August 2007 at 12:49 PM.

YR Rose Ispahan?

I haven't thought of that one in ages! I have a one ounce parfum and a mini, both unopened that I got as a YR gift. I'll have to dig around and revisit this one as I recall liking regular Ispahan.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 12th August 2007 at 04:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    YR Rose Ispahan?

I haven't thought of that one in ages! I have a one ounce parfum and a mini, both unopened that I got as a YR gift. I'll have to dig around and revisit this one as I recall liking regular Ispahan.
    Not sure what triggered this post but had to PBI concerning my beloved Rose Ispahan! [Just realised that I have it plastered all over my signature... doh!]

This beauty is definitely more oriental than pure rose - warm, boozy, sweet (almost candied). I find it reminiscent of JPG Classique EDP minus the annoying orchid note. The 'jammy' booze note (must be plum) makes this perfect for layering over L'Artisan Voleur de Roses to soften the patchouli and intensify the rose and plum top notes.

Love, love, love this scent!!

The new Rose Absolue is to my nose a modern reinterpretation of the scent. Now it is the rose that dominates, with a fresh bloom that is very reminiscent of Serge Luten's Sa Majeste La Rose, however the dry down is pure Rose Ispahan with a delicious rose / amber / patchouli which lasts for hours.

:toppie:

PS: I also happen to adore Yves Rocher Ispahan as well! A wonderfully sensual, feminine woody oriental. Why do they always discontinue the great ones... *sigh*
    Last edited by moondeva; 12th August 2007 at 12:50 PM.

Talking Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Yes, indeed. It was provisionally scheduled for mid-October to catch the transistion time between autumn & winter as a great time to explore how many of these blends work in cooler weathers...

I am still happy to organise it for that time and would love to hear views / suggestions on how we can improve the experience... (if we can).

This sounds wonderful to me. And the best part is!! Australia is now coming out of winter so I've got/tried most of the winter scents - which is great because I can prepare like an exam! LOL

One thing I thought - hopefully if not imposing on Serena at Ava Luxe - her top 5 Winter/Fall scents to try?

Other than that - this Spring/Summer was great! Thanks for the positive reactions for my reviews - I tend to over dramatise (like any wishful author)! I mean who really rubs kitchen all spice on their neck? Obviously me!!

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post

Of the few I have tried so far my only major disappointment was her Lanvin Scandal type, which sadly lived up to it's name by being nothing but a nasty insult to it's inspiration and namesake...
    I totally agree with moondeva. I had so many high hopes for her the Scandal type as I totally adore the original Lanvin Scandal. Bleh... total disappointment...

On another note, I love the Madame X, Vamp, Film Noir, Cafe Noir, Rasa and Cashmere Spice.

A fellow basenoter sent me a bunch of her samples and I'm still going through them
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Cool Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Ah hah! ... the SPRING & SUMMER :brolly: Edition of The Ava Luxe Experience!!!

Spring has Sprung Down Under!

Thanks moondeva!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM