Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

My newest Ava Luxe loves:

Nude Musk - this is a lot like the pricey Perfect Veil (which I love)...but you didn't hear it from me...tee hee. I can't really tell the difference on my skin, but, Nude Musk is longer lasting! I have this in Stardust Body Lotion and I have ordered an edp.

Ambra Tibet - gorgeous, rich, sweet, shimmery amber. Smells expensive and high-end. It's got that "classic" resiny amber richness, made extra sexy with spices and vanilla. I have this in Stardust Body Lotion and will definitely buy in edp.

White Musk - this is perfect for bedtime and hot, sticky days. It's a beautiful, light fragrance - warm, soft, and alluring. A hint of white amber adds sweetness, making this the prettiest white musk I've ever smelled. I have this in Stardust Body Lotion and I'm purchasing an edp asap.

Fragrances that have "caught my nose" but I'm not sure if I'll buy full bottles, yet:

China Pearl, White Pearl, No. 23 (it's almost...but not quite...), Dark Amber (I love it but it's probably not complicated enough to warrant a full bottle. It's not nearly as gorgeous as Ambra Tibet, to me.)

I will continue to replenish my stock of Love's True Bluish Light in roll-on, Stardust Body Lotion, and edp!

I really want to try Heart of Glass, Tuberose Diabolique, and Viva!

Fig Wood

Fig Wood starts out fresh, green and quite masculine. The fig is dry and tart - a fig that is approaching ripeness, rather than a jammy, sweet dried fig - though a hint of spice brings warmth. The Cedar comes through next, before Sandalwood emerges to gives a warm and almost musky wood base. Fig Wood is definitely unisex, slanting towards masculine, but is still accessible to women who favour something less sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    My newest Ava Luxe loves:

Nude Musk - this is a lot like the pricey Perfect Veil (which I love)...but you didn't hear it from me...tee hee. I can't really tell the difference on my skin, but, Nude Musk is longer lasting! I have this in Stardust Body Lotion and I have ordered an edp.

Ambra Tibet - gorgeous, rich, sweet, shimmery amber. Smells expensive and high-end. It's got that "classic" resiny amber richness, made extra sexy with spices and vanilla. I have this in Stardust Body Lotion and will definitely buy in edp.

White Musk - this is perfect for bedtime and hot, sticky days. It's a beautiful, light fragrance - warm, soft, and alluring. A hint of white amber adds sweetness, making this the prettiest white musk I've ever smelled. I have this in Stardust Body Lotion and I'm purchasing an edp asap.
    Thank you for the reviews!

I haven't smelled it yet but i would like to know more of AvaL's White Musk, it's caught my eye for while now.. what would be the difference between other white musks like say, Mavive's White Musk?
    BTW i love AmbraT.

Right now I am struggling with the urge to buy some AL musks and get a bottle of the Peonies. I see those peonies in bloom now and have an absurd need to smell just like them.

Me too! Well, the musks anyway. But I am definitely buying Madame X - got compliments of my male colleague and also a male friend - it lasts brilliants and also seems to give some sillage, unlike most other scents I try (my skin just eats 'em up so they stay really close).

Today:

Fire Wood

One of the luxe editions, Fire Wood kicks off with a huge burst of evergreen wood and a touch of woodsmoke. The smoke is pleasant, and not overwhelming as it sometimes is in fragrances like Fumerie Turque - Fire Wood is more like a camp fire in a pine forest.
    As it dries down, the incense emerges and it begins to resemble, ever so slightly, Zagorsk.
    Fire Wood is unisex, but has a strong masculine appeal. It lasts very well and has decent sillage. Although I don't think it's quite right for me, I do enjoy the smell. I wonder if Ms Luxe has ever thought of doing candles, because this would be superb!

Blog Entries

Sampling the new No.23 today. My sample is EDP which I find tends not to have as much 'presence' or depth as I prefer.

In a nutshell this is Ava Luxe Chaos type 'Lite' - it is not a direct copy / twin, and has far less depth and incense as that blend but the similarities are distinct, none the less.

Maybe the only similarity is their similar structure of smooth dry white florals over white woods touched with incense and resins. Either way my preference and alligiance with Chaotic / Chaos type shall remain.

In this formulation my immediate thought is 'Woohoo, an incense for summer!' and I do truly believe that this is a wonderful starter incense for those afeared of strong incense and resins in the perfume, and / or would be perfect in summer heat for those who crave their winter favourites but fear being lynched or stoned for suffocating all those in the surrounding area...
    Last edited by moondeva; 30th May 2007 at 05:10 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Moondeva, which are your favourite of the AL musks (leaving Rasa and Kama aside)? I'm just thinking about ordering a nice musk sampler next time, when I buy my Madame X.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Moondeva, which are your favourite of the AL musks (leaving Rasa and Kama aside)? I'm just thinking about ordering a nice musk sampler next time, when I buy my Madame X.
    My current favourites are:

Linen Musk
    Cashmere Musk
    Egyptian Musk
    Love's True Bluish Light
    Incense Musk

I have yet to try but also recommend:

Gardenia Musk
    Nude Musk
    Wild Blackberry Musk

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Gardenia Musk is fantastic and I bought some last time.
    LTBL is on my to buy list. I love it!
    Wild Blackberry Musk I really like but not sure it's FBW yet... Still thinking about this one.
    I was wondering about Egyptian and Tunisian and so forth. Guess I will just have to try, eh?

AL Egyptian musk mixed (I dumped the remaining samples into a sprayer) with Moss and White Lilacs!

A stunning chypre is I do say so myself!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Today Taolady surprised me with a fistful of smellies. I made a quick open-and-sniff of a dozen vials, and was haunted by something delectable on my fingertips. After a bit of sleuthing, I figured out what was going on. I smelled something mesmerizing, like the Iso E Super synthetic molecule, and something sweet and familiar.

"Eureka!"

No. 23? It's Escentric Molecules meets Chopard Casmir!

Your opinions?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Talking Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

I had never heard of Ava Luxe until I read this thread and I have just ordered my THIRD batch of samples. So many exquisite frags - not enough MONEY! but hear my favourites (and least favourites so far!)

SHISHA & KAMA - These seemed very similar on my skin. With SHISHA slightly coming out on top for my favourite soft Incense/Oriental so far.

RASA - LOVED THIS!! Beautiful blend of musk and rose. I have tried other frags with this supposed blend, and have not lived up to the hype. RASA is absolute bliss.

RASA X Treme - ugh!! Could not stand to have on my wrist for more than 10 minutes. I did get a serious 'dirty nappy' note. I will put it down to my own inexperience and not able to get past the flashbacks of changing nappies on my two kids. I would love to get some advice on another Ava Luxe thread that will tell me what to layer with to tone that aspect down.

BIBA - nearly washed this off. Get a strong pine/resin aspect at first - but I ignored and OMG! It morphed into Chanel Coromandel patchouli/spice/warmth that I just adored. I wore it to work one day and walked around with the glorious cloud of BIBA all day. I swear - over 6hrs of unaldaterated yummy warmth!

MADAME X - this is just beautiful. I am craving leather at the moment, and I am using my vintage Tabac Blond EDT when I can't resist the temptation. But MX may just save me. I really enjoy the way this develops - more so in the crook of my elbow than anywhere else.

INDIAN SUMMER - Could not appreciate this one. I'm not into Almond frags and this just really got up my nose. I couldn't wear it by itself - but layered with NO. 23 it really gave 23 a kick and base that made both lovely to wear to bed.

FORBIDDEN FRUITS - Wow! This is fruit with a capita F! I liked it - but it was a bit linear for me. Probably lovely layered with something. I'm going to check out the other Ava Luxe thread with the layering combos.

MIDNIGHT VIOLET - Nice. Fresh violet trodden underneath a leather bootheel then sprinkled with potting mix. I like it. FBW - not sure. I'll keep you posted!

That will do for now. Am so loving AVA LUXE!!
    Last edited by Gumoosh; 10th June 2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

Wow, Gumoosh! Those are some great reviews / impressions of Ava Luxe perfumes.

Concerning Rasa / Rasa Xtreme I personally love that fecal / civet note in the Xtreme but realise that it works best in winter. it is just a bit too animalic in warmer, more clement weather or climates. I have the parfum and the showergel (which is great for leaving a subtle trace of the scent on your skin, leaving you with a subtle aura of scent). When I have more money to spare I plan to get the Rasa parfum also as it is pitched just right for warmer weather - a very sexy musk for evening wear.

I would recommend you put away your Rasa Xtreme sample until deepest, darkest winter as that is when it will shine, but to 'tone down' the animalic character during warmer months I would recommend you layer it with a lighter rose scent like TBS Cassis Rose, Serge Lutens Sa Majeste de Rose, Yves Rocher Rose Absolue or Crabtree & Evelyn Evelyn Rose. By the time the top notes have worn off the Rasa Xtreme will have mellowed and softened on your skin becoming similar to the tamer Rasa formulation.

I have to say that Shisha and Kama are quite different scents to me. Shisha is all warm honeyed tobacco, whilst Kama is a wonderful animalic woody (cedar) musk. Both are sexy and sultry but most definitely different beasts.

I am so pleased that you are enjoying this range and I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

I have the same thing with the Xtreme versions - Rasa is lovely but Rasa Xtreme is distinctly fecal. I also get a strong "poop" note in Madame X but it seems less prominent and dries down into something incredible (full bottle on the way to me as I speak!).
    Gumoosh - you must try Madame X!

I had the same thing with Indian Summer as well (and indeed, Loukhoum) - I thought I'd love them as I always liked gourmands, but find them a bit sweet even for me. Lovely smells, but I'd rather eat them than wear them!

Forbidden Fruits (another one on order) is great also - it's great layered with Poison or Ambre Sultan, but nice on its own too.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

"Eureka!"

No. 23? It's Escentric Molecules meets Chopard Casmir!

Your opinions?
    Have been "Out of Luxe" for a while and wandered over here to see what was going on. (just got my shipment of Loukhoum in the Parfum and Body Milk - but it's a warm day and not conducive...)

...and wow! #23 was not nearly so present on me, Joy. gotta go back and give it a try - I adore Casimir and have always wanted to try Escentric Molecules.....

Tune in!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I just ordered some samples. I have just learned that the scents I like most are not called sweet perfumes, but gourmands. I love this board!!!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Welcome! I joined in Jan (well December 30th) and was heavy into the gourmands then but I've learned so much since - I've discovered I love amber and leather and have gone from hating musks to liking them a lot. It's a journey, it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Welcome! I joined in Jan (well December 30th) and was heavy into the gourmands then but I've learned so much since - I've discovered I love amber and leather and have gone from hating musks to liking them a lot. It's a journey, it really is.

It's a wonderful journey indeed. It's great being surrounded by folks that love perfume like I do. I am learning so much. It's one thing to just love perfume, but I'm finding that learning about perfume makes me love it even more.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    It's a wonderful journey indeed. It's great being surrounded by folks that love perfume like I do. I am learning so much. It's one thing to just love perfume, but I'm finding that learning about perfume makes me love it even more.
    Welcome to Basenotes Divatologist! :wave: (Great name by the way!)

I think that there are many Ava luxe scents that you are going to discover and love! Which samples did you order?

: Is your avatar a picture of yourself? Very pretty! Maybe you could add it to the Members Pictures thread on the Off Topic board?!

If that IS you, Ms. D-
    You are a stunner !
    Welcome on board.
    You're sure to find something you love, in her collection...
    Ms. Franco is a remarkably gifted lady, and sweet, to boot.

Enjoy your plunder-
    and tell us all about your impressions !

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes Divatologist! :wave: (Great name by the way!)

I think that there are many Ava luxe scents that you are going to discover and love! Which samples did you order?

: Is your avatar a picture of yourself? Very pretty! Maybe you could add it to the Members Pictures thread on the Off Topic board?!

Thank you Moondeva!! Yeah that's me. I got alot of the gourmands. I got a couple of the spices and a couple that just had names and desciptions that made me want to try them.
    creme brulee
    vanilla coconut
    sweet almond
    cocnut
    sweet patchouli
    indian summer
    cafe noir
    vanilla apricot
    patchouli leaves
    moksha
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    If that IS you, Ms. D-
    You are a stunner !
    Welcome on board.
    You're sure to find something you love, in her collection...
    Ms. Franco is a remarkably gifted lady, and sweet, to boot.

Enjoy your plunder-
    and tell us all about your impressions !

Thank you Chayaruchama! I love it here. I'm learning so much. I'm sure I will find something that I love in her collection. I just love trying out perfume.Hopefully I will be able to describe it as well as the rest of you. I'm still trying to get the top notes and middle notes and when they show up. Man, I have a lot to learn, but it's great!
    Last edited by Divatologist; 11th June 2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    Thank you Moondeva!! Yeah that's me. I got alot of the gourmands. I got a couple of the spices and a couple that just had names and desciptions that made me want to try them.
    creme brulee
    vanilla coconut
    sweet almond
    cocnut
    sweet patchouli
    indian summer
    cafe noir
    vanilla apricot
    patchouli leaves
    moksha
    Great selection!

For next time / order, may I recommend:
    Loukhoum
    Milk
    Sweet Patchouli
    Black Tea
    Wild Black Fig
    Little Love
    Luxe Chocolate
    Sweet Amber Wood
    Forbidden Fruits
    Citrine
    Love's Truish Blue Light

Some of them, like the Wild Black Fig, Loukhoum, Sweet Patchouli & Black Tea will work better in cooler autumn / winter weather but they are all truly yummy!

summer means fireflys

I spent quite a bit of time looking over the site last weekend and dreaming of trying some of these wonderful-sounding scents that you guys rave over ... Do Basenoters have a discount code? It seems that I remember something of that, and is it good for samples? thanks ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    ... Do Basenoters have a discount code? It seems that I remember something of that, and is it good for samples? thanks ...
    The discount was for a limited time only - I tried to use it for the last batch of sample I ordered a couple of weeks ago and it "wasn't valid."

Still, her samples are so reasonable - two or three dollars - and she is so generous with extras, you can't go wrong. I've got many with plenty left - p.m. me with what y ou're looking for and I'll be glad to send them. Or I'll just send 'em anyway!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Hi,

Well I ordered some things from Serena two days ago and used "BASENOTES" and this did work and I did get a discount. She is on vacation and not taking orders for a couple of weeks :-(

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I spent quite a bit of time looking over the site last weekend and dreaming of trying some of these wonderful-sounding scents that you guys rave over ... Do Basenoters have a discount code? It seems that I remember something of that, and is it good for samples? thanks ...
    Yes! BASENOTES (for 10% off) is now a permanent discount code for orders of Ava Luxe placed by basenote's members.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    The discount was for a limited time only - I tried to use it for the last batch of sample I ordered a couple of weeks ago and it "wasn't valid."

Still, her samples are so reasonable - two or three dollars - and she is so generous with extras, you can't go wrong. I've got many with plenty left - p.m. me with what y ou're looking for and I'll be glad to send them. Or I'll just send 'em anyway!!
    I don't know why your code did not work Taolady as it is now a permanent code as far as I know. I'm not sure if it works through the site shopping cart, as I tend to send an email confirming my order and citing the code. Hopefully it will work next time for you...

BASENOTES worked for me too the last time I ordered.
    I can't wait to use it on my 10ml of KAMA perfume come my birthday.

I have found that the discount code BASENOTES is case sensitive. It only works if you use capital letters.

summer means fireflys

thanks everyone! I will give that a try ...

BTW love the avatar beachie!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Thumbs up Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post

I used it the other day and it worked. I think it has to be all lower case or Capital B and rest all lower case. Give it another try.

Aside from Midnight Violet, do any of her fragrances have a clear violet note? The more I read these reviews the more I'd like to save up for a good batch of samples.

Thank you!

You know, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh View Post
    I used it the other day and it worked. I think it has to be all lower case or Capital B and rest all lower case. Give it another try.
    Thanks Babes! Didn't even think of that. Will do - will report!!

I think the shopping cart function is down during Serena's vacation.

Not having read all the 21 pages on this thread (just most of them), has the subject of Ava Luxe dupes come up yet? I tried her version of Chaos and FdB and liked them. I heard she did one of Venezia. Is this so??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Not having read all the 21 pages on this thread (just most of them), has the subject of Ava Luxe dupes come up yet? I tried her version of Chaos and FdB and liked them. I heard she did one of Venezia. Is this so??
    I adore her Chaos type even though I have never tried the original. I love it anyway! Her latest version of Silk is also very nice - a softer, less sharply woody take on the Feminite du Bois theme. I would classify Silk as a wearable day version of the more intense evening FdB. I adore the original and intend to enjoy both. Also it's good to know that I can get complimentary body products to layer with the original for very few .

Venezia is one of her vintage ones I have yet to try, but I have every intention of doing so.

Of the few I have tried so far my only major disappointment was her Lanvin Scandal type, which sadly lived up to it's name by being nothing but a nasty insult to it's inspiration and namesake...

Basenotes Institution

Sniffed Moksha for the first time today. Um...wow. No other fragrance except Jicky, have I smelled so much...is it civet. Wow.

I'd love to hear feedback and comments on those who've smelled this/wore this.

Smells like sandalwood, sex and excrement. I am fascinated.

Wink Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

oh. my. god. I cannot claim to be Serena's best customer - but I have been ordering samples and deluxe samples like a maniac!!
    Like most Bnoters - am totally loving Madame X and Love's Tru Bluish Light - but more different fragrances to each other or what!! I have bought full bottles of each as well a few of the body products.

The following are some more that I have tried lately in no particular order and my thoughts:

Doll Face: I really like this. Similar to Loves' True but the volume turned down. If you want an introduction to Ava's vanilla/musk line I would try this. Really nice when worn to bed.

Angel Face: This is nice too. Has a sweeter/sharper edge to it that gets into my nose slightly. I like it - but wouldn't wear again.

Carnet Del Bar - I haven't worn the original - but this is sex on a stick. Serious woods and patchouli which I LOVE! Pretty strong - but I like leaving an impression.

Ambre' Antique - Ooooh yeah! Amber! Amber! AMBER!!! Bring it on. If you like Amber
    Essence in Ava Luxe - try this to really have an overdose!

Ambra Tibet - Ooooh I love this too. I am hopeless with this. The Amber/incense/spice frags of Serena's are just wonderful. Got. to. buy.

Neroli Blossom - You have plucked an orange flower, rubbed it between your fingers then rubbed it on your neck with your kitchen all spice. While crooking your finger to your loved one. Irresistable.

Roses: Nahema!! by Guerlain. Bright roses. Not dried roses in a pot pourri with a sprinkling of Grandma dust - but serious fresh roses with grated lemon zest and someone chucked in some lawn clippings (with the dirt) for good measure. Nice.

Cashmere Musk: Is that Musk? Surely not. Too subtle. Too quiet. No headache. Oh, hang on. Husband is saying I will rub your feet. Must be musk.

I found Cashmere Musk quite strident, actually. Definitely musk! But it's not a dirty, armpitty musk. I didn't quite like this one, but there are other musks in the collection that are very nice. Pearl Musk could tempt me - it's a very clean, light musk but also sexy. Would be great layered. Maybe one to buy in the lotion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh View Post
    oh. my. god. I cannot claim to be Serena's best customer - but I have been ordering samples and deluxe samples like a maniac!!
    Like most Bnoters - am totally loving Madame X and Love's Tru Bluish Light - but more different fragrances to each other or what!! I have bought full bottles of each as well a few of the body products.

The following are some more that I have tried lately in no particular order and my thoughts:

Doll Face: I really like this. Similar to Loves' True but the volume turned down. If you want an introduction to Ava's vanilla/musk line I would try this. Really nice when worn to bed.

Angel Face: This is nice too. Has a sweeter/sharper edge to it that gets into my nose slightly. I like it - but wouldn't wear again.

Carnet Del Bar - I haven't worn the original - but this is sex on a stick. Serious woods and patchouli which I LOVE! Pretty strong - but I like leaving an impression.

Ambre' Antique - Ooooh yeah! Amber! Amber! AMBER!!! Bring it on. If you like Amber Essence in Ava Luxe - try this to really have an overdose!

Ambra Tibet - Ooooh I love this too. I am hopeless with this. The Amber/incense/spice frags of Serena's are just wonderful. Got. to. buy.

Neroli Blossom - You have plucked an orange flower, rubbed it between your fingers then rubbed it on your neck with your kitchen all spice. While crooking your finger to your loved one. Irresistable.

Roses: Nahema!! by Guerlain. Bright roses. Not dried roses in a pot pourri with a sprinkling of Grandma dust - but serious fresh roses with grated lemon zest and someone chucked in some lawn clippings (with the dirt) for good measure. Nice.

Cashmere Musk: Is that Musk? Surely not. Too subtle. Too quiet. No headache. Oh, hang on. Husband is saying I will rub your feet. Must be musk.
    LOL! I loved these reviews - especially for the Cashmere Musk! My S.O. is exactly the same...

I have been wondering about Carnet de Bal, Ambre Antique and Ambra Tibet - especially for autumn / winter but had managed to quiet the lemmings. Now they are up and making a ruckuss again!

I adore Amber Essence (it smells / wears like Le Labo Labdanum #18 on me) and I have it on my 'full bottle to buy' list but Ambre Antique is sounding like a must try / buy also...

Gumoosh you are a true lemming farmer!!

kudos and thanks to moondeva and serena great news i want everything

I am seriously contemplating another AL purchase soon. I will be buying early gifts for my friends and family who have made so very many positive comments about LTBL and Moss. I am developing a serious "need" for Incense Rose as well. Roses was less Intense than Nahema on me, and that is a good thing, but Incense Rose captures what I like best about each of these scents and also has the advantage of not being a Luxe edition at Luxe prices. The Incense note is easy on the nose and not churchy or headshoppy, and I love the oude note in IR as well. It's my favorite from my last round of samples.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 12th August 2007 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luyuan View Post

Ava-Luxe Shambhala Tibet : Sadly Shambhala Tibet smelled exactly like a Chinese Traditional Medicine cure for colds that I use. It is very strong, syrupy, with an herbal bent. My BF thought that the medicinal smell was kind of nice but I just don't want to smell like this - maybe because it makes me think of being sick. However, if you like medicinal scents like Dzongkha you might want to try this one.
    I LOVE this one. Puts Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire on notice IMO. Earth and wood with a hint of smoke. Outstanding Haitian vetiver in this one. Just may become my HG vetiver.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    I am seriously contemplating another AL purchase soon. I will be buying early gifts for my friends and family who have made so very many LTBL and Moss. I am developing a serious "need" for Incense Rose as well. Roses was less Intense than Nahema on me, and that is a good thing, but Incense Rose captures what I like best about each of these scents and also has the advantage of not being a Luxe edition at Luxe prices. The Incense note is easy on the nose and not churchy or headshoppy, and I love the oude note in IR as well. It's my favorite from my last round of samples.
    I'll second that. I bought the 5ml sample of Incense Rose and I'm likely to go through it in a hurry. I'll be wearing this one out on the town this eve. The incense (olibanum) plays a minor role, perfectly accenting the performance of the Damask rose and rose maroc. Then there's the oude...oh my.

Will there be a fall/winter edition of Ava Luxe testing?

BTW Love's Truish Blue Light? Vanilla and white musk at their best. Soft, warm, comforting, intimate,...I feel this one.
    Last edited by Sloan; 11th August 2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    [...]Will there be a fall/winter edition of Ava Luxe testing? [...]
    Yes, indeed. It was provisionally scheduled for mid-October to catch the transistion time between autumn & winter as a great time to explore how many of these blends work in cooler weathers...

I am still happy to organise it for that time and would love to hear views / suggestions on how we can improve the experience... (if we can).

Last edited by moondeva; 12th August 2007 at 12:49 PM.

YR Rose Ispahan?

I haven't thought of that one in ages! I have a one ounce parfum and a mini, both unopened that I got as a YR gift. I'll have to dig around and revisit this one as I recall liking regular Ispahan.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 12th August 2007 at 04:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    YR Rose Ispahan?

I haven't thought of that one in ages! I have a one ounce parfum and a mini, both unopened that I got as a YR gift. I'll have to dig around and revisit this one as I recall liking regular Ispahan.
    Not sure what triggered this post but had to PBI concerning my beloved Rose Ispahan! [Just realised that I have it plastered all over my signature... doh!]

This beauty is definitely more oriental than pure rose - warm, boozy, sweet (almost candied). I find it reminiscent of JPG Classique EDP minus the annoying orchid note. The 'jammy' booze note (must be plum) makes this perfect for layering over L'Artisan Voleur de Roses to soften the patchouli and intensify the rose and plum top notes.

Love, love, love this scent!!

The new Rose Absolue is to my nose a modern reinterpretation of the scent. Now it is the rose that dominates, with a fresh bloom that is very reminiscent of Serge Luten's Sa Majeste La Rose, however the dry down is pure Rose Ispahan with a delicious rose / amber / patchouli which lasts for hours.

:toppie:

PS: I also happen to adore Yves Rocher Ispahan as well! A wonderfully sensual, feminine woody oriental. Why do they always discontinue the great ones... *sigh*
    Last edited by moondeva; 12th August 2007 at 12:50 PM.

Talking Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Yes, indeed. It was provisionally scheduled for mid-October to catch the transistion time between autumn & winter as a great time to explore how many of these blends work in cooler weathers...

I am still happy to organise it for that time and would love to hear views / suggestions on how we can improve the experience... (if we can).

This sounds wonderful to me. And the best part is!! Australia is now coming out of winter so I've got/tried most of the winter scents - which is great because I can prepare like an exam! LOL

One thing I thought - hopefully if not imposing on Serena at Ava Luxe - her top 5 Winter/Fall scents to try?

Other than that - this Spring/Summer was great! Thanks for the positive reactions for my reviews - I tend to over dramatise (like any wishful author)! I mean who really rubs kitchen all spice on their neck? Obviously me!!

Of the few I have tried so far my only major disappointment was her Lanvin Scandal type, which sadly lived up to it's name by being nothing but a nasty insult to it's inspiration and namesake...
    I totally agree with moondeva. I had so many high hopes for her the Scandal type as I totally adore the original Lanvin Scandal. Bleh... total disappointment...

On another note, I love the Madame X, Vamp, Film Noir, Cafe Noir, Rasa and Cashmere Spice.

A fellow basenoter sent me a bunch of her samples and I'm still going through them
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Cool Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Ah hah! ... the SPRING & SUMMER :brolly: Edition of The Ava Luxe Experience!!!

Spring has Sprung Down Under!

Thanks moondeva!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM