Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Hi Y'all!

The time for another fun, funky, frustrating and yet fascinating week of immersion in an amazing perfume house / range has arrived!!! Yeee-hah!

We are hoping to run this initially for one week, with the post remaining a sticky until the following month (please, Tigrushka?!).

We thought we could make it a kind of hybrid week where people can either stay the course for the entire week and / or we could develop the thread as the Ultimate Ava Luxe Info thread and people can drop in throughout the month with reviews of all the Ava Luxe perfumes they own or have tried (just like Purplebird7's Montale thread).

Using most of the headings that Serena herself has used on her main fragrance page - the one you are taken to when you click on the fragrance subheading at the top of the front page:

http://www.ava-luxe.com/2005/fragrance.html

Schedule for Ava Luxe Week:
    Saturday: Oriental / Amber
    Sunday:Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk
    Wednesday: Green / Herbal or (Intense) Musk
    Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense
    Friday: Floral or Tropical

I have doubled up some of the headings so that we can all experience, and share, at least one from each of the scent families / groups that Serena has listed, during the initial seven day intensive period. I have omitted the Luxe category as many of the Luxe beauties are represented in the other categories.

I have chosen a list of 60 - 70 ‘Best’ of Ava Luxe samples that people can chose those that appeal to them the most and then join in during the main seven days.

For those interested, listed below is the list of Ava Luxe recommended samples.

Ava Luxe Scent List

Moksha - Woods / Resins / Incense, Luxe,
    Palisander - Woods / Resins / Incense
    Fumari - Woods / Resins / Incense, Luxe
    Firewood - Woods / Resins / Incense, Luxe
    Red Tara - Woods / Resins / Incense, Luxe
    Royal Parvati - Woods / Resins / Incense, Luxe
    Sweet Amber Wood - Woods / Resins / Incense, Oriental / Amber
    Tao - Woods / Resins / Incense
    Ambre Antique - Vintage, Oriental / Amber
    Green Grass of Summer - Vintage, Green / Herbal,
    Ingenue - Chypre, Vintage
    Chaos - Vintage
    Biba - Chypre
    Dark Chypre - Chypre
    Film Noir - Chypre
    Moss - Chypre
    Midnight Violet - Chypre, Floral
    Silk - Chypre, Woods / Resins / Incense
    Angel Face - Light Musk, Floral
    Gardenia Musk - Light Musk, Floral, Tropical
    Roses - Floral
    Orange Flowers - Floral
    Lily - Floral
    White Lilac - Floral
    Queen Bess - Floral, Spice
    Nude Musk - Fresh / Clean, Light Musk
    Egyptian Musk - Fresh / Clean, Light Musk
    China Rain - Fresh / Clean, Light Musk, Oriental / Amber
    China Pearl - Fresh / Clean, Light Musk
    Lotus - Fresh / Clean, Floral
    Clementine - Fruit / Citrus
    Citrine - Fruit / Citrus, Gourmand
    Wild Blackberry Musk - Fruit / Citrus, Intense Musk
    Wild Black Fig - Fruit / Citrus, Gourmand, Green / Herbal, Wood / Resin / Incense
    Forbidden Fruits - Fruit / Citrus, Wood / Resin / Incense
    Bergamot - Fruit / Citrus, Fresh / Clean
    Café Noir - Gourmand, Wood / Resin / Incense
    Luxe Chocolate - Gourmand
    Loukhoum - Gourmand
    Milk - Gourmand
    Royal Vanilla - Gourmand
    Turkish Vanilla - Gourmand
    White (formerly Noel Blanc) - Gourmand, Oriental / Amber
    Absinthe - Green / Herbal
    Sweet Absinthe - Green / Herbal
    Fig Leaf - Fruit / Citrus, Green / Herbal
    Johri - Green / Herbal, Wood / Resin / Incense
    Fig Wood - Woods / Resins / Incense, Fruit / Citrus
    Kama / Kama Xtreme - Intense Musk, Luxe
    Rasa / Rasa Xtreme - Intense Musk, Luxe
    Incense Musk - Woods / Resins / Incense, Intense Musk
    Incense - Woods / Resins / Incense, Luxe
    Love’s Truish Blue Light - Light Musk, Oriental / Amber
    Ambra Tibet - Woods / Resins / Incense, Oriental / Amber
    Amber Essence - Woods / Resins / Incense, Oriental / Amber
    Dark Amber - Woods / Resins / Incense, Oriental / Amber
    Madame X - Woods / Resins / Incense, Oriental / Amber, Luxe
    Opoponax / Opoponax Intense - Oriental Amber, Wood / Resins / Incense
    Shisha - Oriental / Amber, Wood / Resin / Incense, Spice, Luxe
    Sweet Patchouli - Oriental / Amber
    Tokion - Woods / Resins / Incense, Oriental / Amber
    Kretek - Spice, Woods / Resins / Incense
    Indian Summer - Spice, Woods / Resins / Incense
    Kashmir Spice - Spice, Woods / Resins / Incense
    Red Carnation - Spice, Floral
    Venus Sands - Tropical, Floral
    Tubereuse Diabolique - Floral, Tropical
    Vanille Coconut - Fruit / Citrus, Tropical, Gourmand
    Tiare - Floral, Tropical
    Pikake Lei - Floral, Tropical
    Teakwood - Woods / Resins / Incense, Oriental / Amber
    Cashmere Musk - Light Musk, Fresh / Clean
    Camisole - Fresh / Clean, Floral

NB: Of course, participants are free to choose which ever scent they prefer. The above list is to help simplify things for those completely new to the Ava Luxe range of perfumes.

So now is the perfect time to discover and explore this amazing niche range...

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
    --------------------------------------

A Huge thank you to moonlight_flower who submitted our first review:

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight_flower View Post
    It's Party Time!!!!!
    Started the day wearing Madame X but the Civet, Ambergris & Castoreum combo decided to have their own party on my skin - result - a horrid stench. My DH told me to run to the bathroom & wash it off quick smart! Not a great start to trying different scents that take me way from my usual fragrance comfort zone!

I'm now wearing Vamp (for the first time) on my other wrist & will post my review on this one later on today.

Have fun everyone!!!
    Oh My Gosh! Great News my fellow fragrance fiends!

I just received this communication from the stupendous lady herself - Serena @ Ava luxe:

Quote Originally Posted by Ava Luxe

[...] I’ve added the BASENOTES code as a permanent addition to the shopping cart.

Now Basenotes users will always be able to get 10% off of their orders.

I think it’s a wonderful idea, and I’m going to write about Ava Luxe week on my livejournal.

Thanks so much for creating this! J I’m excited!

Warm regards,
    Serena
    Wooohoo!!! Thank you so much Serena! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I am hoping that this will encourage all you lurkers and procrastinators to get ordering and adding your reviews to this thread (and the Basenotes directory) even after this week ends...

I am also thinking that one week is just nowhere near long enough to really even scratch the surface of her extensive range of scents. So I am tentatively proposing that we revisit this fragrance house for another week later sometime this year - possibly around October. I think it would be a great opportunity to observe just how weather, season, temperature etc can have a measurable effect upon our experience and appreciation of a scent. Something to at least consider may be...
    Last edited by moondeva; 21st April 2007 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Wow! Great news about the permanent 10% discount for Basenoters at Ava Luxe.

Well, I ended up layering a dab of Dark Amber on top of Vamp after wearing for an hour this morning. Vamp started out nice with the spicey amber note but then a strong sandalwood & vanilla smell drowned out the spices & amber. I didn't get any labdanum or cashmere musk & the sandalwood / vanilla combo was getting overwhelming & a little sickly. That's when I layered the Dark amber on top. Dark Amber on it's own is a rich straight amber - no florals or vanilla just amber. The combination of Dark Amber + Vamp worked very nicely on my skin, mainly amber with hints of subtle sandalwood, vanilla & the amber helped bring the cashmere musk out in the scent too. Adding the dark amber really toned down the strong sandalwood / vanilla note. The scent lasts a long time, it's been well over 6 hours + & I can still smell it on my wrist, plus the scent's strength hasn't faded either.

Am I the only Australian joining in on Ava Luxe week - I thought there would of been a couple more reviews by now???

Post Thanks / Like

As I started a day early (naughty me!) I'll add my review of Friday's choice first.

Gardenia Musk

I was lucky enough to receive Gardenia Musk as a free sample, because I certainly wouldn't have chosen it myself. I'm neither a particularly floral person, and my ability to tolerate certain musks would have made me think twice about choosing a musk-based scent. However, this turned out to be delightful!
    Being a Londoner, I am not that familiar with this lovely, tropical flower, but now that I've smelled this, I want to be! The musk is very understated, allowing the gardenia to take centre stage. It is a scent that smells both clean and opulent - my colleague complemented me on it saying this is what laundry would smell like if you had it done at Harrods!
    Having used up the entire tester in one day, I am now left sadly sniffing an empty vial, and thinking seriously about investing in a bottle.
    Well done, Serena - this is a winner!

It is Ava Luxe Shisha for me this morning. In the last couple of days I have already tried Opoponax and Loukhoum and found their overwhelming vanilla both too similar to one another and too slow to dry off, but Shisha feels much better. I may have over-applied due to an accident with the tiny vial and its tight stopper (all Shisha is now gone), but I don't feel it is too much just yet. The effect of Shisha is subtle and graceful. The honey note is beautifully balanced with the amber and sandalwood so far.

Thank you Serena, the permanent 10% off for BNers is a great idea!

I strayed off my schedule at once! I intended to start with Viva or Ambre Antique today, but am wearing Roses Perfume Oil instead:
    Bergamot
    Grass
    Lemon
    Honeyed Rose
    Russian Rose Absolute
    Turkish Rose Absolute
    Bulgarian Rose Damascena Absolute
    Bulgarian Rose Otto
    Rose de Mai Absolute
    Tea Rose
    Rose Maroc Absolute
    Chinese Rice Flower
    Pepper
    Cinnamon
    Honey
    Orris Root
    Amber
    Musk
    Sandalwood
    Moss
    Incense
    Peruvian Balsam

Despite the impressive list of notes, on my skin Roses turns out to be a great rose-amber scent. Vivid red roses crystallised in a layer of honeyed amber. The drydown brought forward a nice sandalwood alongside the amber.

I changed into Ambre Antique for the eve. It opens with a clear bergamot or lemon note paired with some fruit and rendered almost gourmand by a distinctly sweet amber. The amber becomes slightly more smoky and naughty in the heart, a floral canopy in the background. I haven’t been lucky enough so far to smell Coty’s Ambre Antique and I maybe never will, but Serena’s interpretation is good enough to be full bottle worthy for me.
    Notes: citrus, berries, rose, ylang-ylang, orange flower, iris, sandalwood, vétiver, amber, vanilla.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 22nd April 2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added second frag
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Will be sampling Shisha a bit later and will report back!

Forgot it started today and sprayed something else!

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A thank you to Serena and MoonDeva.

Just got a shipping notice that my 5 extra samples are about to go out, so I'll have to limp along on the two I have in hand even though it takes me out of prescribed thematic rotation.

Now for the really useless news: Orientals, as a class, leave me lifeless. No explanation. I'm wearing Madame X, I can appreciate it as professionally composed and beautifully executed. I don't have a problem wearing it. In fact, as Orientals go, it's not hard for me to wear. But since I don't have an appetite for this class, I'm going to trust my cohorts here to break it down in a qualified manner.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Hi to fellow Aussie Moonlight Flower. Well day 1 off to a shaky start - accidentally set my alarm for 4.55am instead of 5.55. Got ready, and grabbed the next untried sample which was Turkish Vanilla. Trying to stick with the category of the day, I got home from tennis and grabbed Silk. Quickly realised - wrong again - and finally ended up with my only sample that fell into the Oriental/Amber category – White. It’s very nice for a chilly Melbourne afternoon. I get lots of chocolate and spice and some hint of a floral. A few hours later and I’m just getting chocolate. I can’t stand Angel but I could wear White. If you like gourmands you should give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!! Great job Moondeva - thanks for all the love and effort you have put into creating this experience. And many thanks to Serena - not only for her artistry but her generosity in extending the discount to us ardent admirers! I think her site - like her fragrances - is one of the most beautiful and well composed on the web!

I couldn't wait to get started in the glorious Madame X:

Notes:
    Coriander
    Acacia Farnesiana
    Freshly cut hay
    Jasmine
    Rose
    Labdanum
    Leather
    Incense
    Patchouli
    Oakmoss
    Civet
    Ambergris
    Castoreum
    Sandalwood Mysore
    Precious Musks
    Vanilla

Just look at all those exotics! This is one of my favoritest Orientals because it is so complex and subtle. The fresh hay note is apparent on me at the opening - the leather and roses quietly enter almost at the same time as the base notes - a throbbing mix of amber and musks. The sandalwood and vanilla are in the minor key and - thank heavens - the vanilla and sexy (to me) castoreum just enough present to add to the symphony. Not a lot of sillage but like a sexy secret clinging close.

This is how I feel:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Shisha for me today - first reactions:

Powder
    Then is it chocolate...anyone else getting a mocha chocolate note from this..?
    Then something else sweet - very nice
    Why isn't this classified as a gourmand, I smell like sugared icing

I'm headed out into the Miami heat - let's see how Shisha performs in the 80 degree heat...

OK update:

It disappeared in the heat, that's what happened. WTF? Where'd it go...?

Rating: 3 stars out of 5

Final thoughts: The sweetness resembled Elixir des Merveilles really closely - a scent I love. But I don't need 2 similar gourmands, so I probably wouldn't buy this. Also, I must say, the very LAST thing I thought this scent conjured up was a 'shisha'. The name is puzzling.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd April 2007 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Shisha for me today - first reactions:

Powder
    Then is it chocolate...anyone else getting a mocha chocolate note from this..?
    Then something else sweet - very nice
    Why isn't this classified as a gourmand, I smell like sugared icing

I'm headed out into the Miami heat - let's see how Shisha performs in the 80 degree heat...
    Yes, me too. The honey turned to caramel rather than straight chocolate, but the hint of choc was there lurking. So far I have tried Loukhoum, Opoponax, and Shisha, and I would call all three of them sweet gourmand on my skin.

Be careful in that heat, you'll turn into a creme brulee. Don't stand still or a passing stranger might hit you on the head with the back of a spoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have sufficient samples to dive into the glorious Ava Luxe week...

Hey, wait a minute [[[furious shuffling through multiple bags of sample vials]]] Aha!!! I have "Firewood" and "Cafe Noir"!!! :bounce: I'm in for the wood/resin and gourmand Ava Luxe days!!! :bounce: Why do I have a sinking feeling that by the second sampling week this fall I will have caved and gotten additional samples? Or "worse"?

This is going to be fun!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

I snuck a spritz of my daughter's

LOVE'S TRUE BLUISH LIGHT

onto my left wrist. Sort of a musky vanilla, quite nice, sweet, in the family of Angel but less in your face, Angel always has a gritty undertone for me that makes it borderline naughty imo. True Bluish Light is more like a cashmere shawl of ocean melding into sky. Calm. Nice.
    Notes : White Vanilla, White Amber, Milky notes, Musk.
    After a bit of drydown, the amber is coming through...divine.

I love Ava Luxe and have a myriad of samples, but will not be able to comply with the type of the day, I can see it now....though I am Himalaya bound, enthralled and enchanted, I know I will enjoy at least reserving a patch of skin for some Ava sampling throughout the week.

Here is my first impression of MADAME X from a past post - Madame X has become my Holy Grail Musk fragrance, and my first impressions have remained consistent after a month of living with it:

"I also am now in love with MADAME X...delightfully complex and musky this frag is experienced by me as a multi layered concoction, like swimming from the shallow to the deep sections of a pool and back again with light filtering from above...warm, deep and VERY SEXY...not overwhelming, close to the skin. A very grown up musk with so much more to it."
    Last edited by rtamara41; 21st April 2007 at 04:13 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Shisha for me too then.

First impressions are powder, warmth and definitely chocolate. Albeit a smoky chocolate if that makes any sense at all. Hint of vanilla. It's nice, it's subtle but for me it would be an evening fragrance not a daytime one.

It's Incense Rose for me today. So far I like it a lot. The rose was intense at first, and being a man I was wary of that, but then it settled down and the "incense" tempered it (it smells oud-like, I think this is a take on traditional Arabic Rose Oud perfumes). It's very soothing, and the rose note gives it an almost chilly crispness while the incense boosts it with warmth. It's probably better for slightly warmer weather, because it seems in limbo between hot/cold.
    It's somewhat like the feeling immediately after walking inside after a winters walk and sitting by the fire; you're still chilled, but with the fire next to you, you know you'll be warm soon enough... just not yet.

This is definitely unisex, with the oud base seeming more masculine to me, so any men out there, give this a try. It's definitely unlike anything commonly available.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 21st April 2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: correction

hi all,

Starting off the Ava Luxe week with Sweet Amber Wood and Madame X. I'm a newbie here so forgive my first attempts at reviews ( I hope to improve with time, but doubt I can ever get as poetic as some of you:-)))

Sweet Amber Wood: Very soft...first moments were beautiful and then it settled on me to a very pretty warm scent that seems to stay close...very light on me and I like it as I am a fan of Sandalwood which I am picking up in this

Madam X: GORGEOUS!!! This is deep and rich and very sexy...and I can't add much more to all the fantastic raves about it so far...stunning!

Shisha: I get chocolate from this as others have mentioned...sweet and powdery with a teeny hint of spice EDIT:: nice dry down and long lasting for me

Viva: Listed as a floral-oriental...it's interesting on me, since I am not a floral person though this isn't "me" but it's heady and rich and rather "green" at the same time
    Last edited by edain33; 21st April 2007 at 10:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Today's fragrance was...

Shisha

Having just recovered from an allergic reaction to a spicy perfume, I only dabbed a little Shisha on at first. I did not get much in the way of tobacco from this, nor smoke. The initial blast was very sweet and pungent, but settled down very quickly to a warm, spicy amber with a hint of wood. However, it faded quite quickly and I reapplied a couple of times over the course of the day.
    The next application started more like boozy fruitcake. I got dried fruit, honey and alcohol. It is a little reminiscent of a Lutens though nowhere near as in your face as something like Arabie. Whereas Arabie is very tenacious in its spiciness, Shisha softens quickly and becomes more mellow in character.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh My! If my first day of Ava Luxe Week / Appreciation is anything to go by I am going to end up with quite a few full bottles of this range before long. phew!

oh, just ignore that sobbing in the background - that's just my empty wallet.

Today was Oriental / Amber and I chose:

Amber Essence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Luxe Website
    A blend of three different ambers and labdanum. An exotic raw amber fragrance.
    Notes: Light Amber, Dark Amber, Labdanum, Myrrh.
    Oh - My - Gosh! This is just divine. Rich, Smooth, Luxe - a virtually perfect straight Amber. Actually this is better than plain amber this is all about the dark smokey sexiness that is labdanum. Perfect balance.
    I cannot even find the words to adequately describe this beauty...

The opening is soft but sillage and presence do build up on the skin so it is best not to over apply. There are three main stages that I can ascertain, though they are so perfectly blended that the transition is seamless. First it is amber, a surprisingly light golden amber that is quite lovely. Then the scent sweetens as the dark amber emerges. Just when it seems that it may get too sweet the wonderfully dry slightly leathery labdanum steps forward and holds everything in check. Please don't think that this means that the scent is boring or bland - far from it, especially with the slightly bitter edge of myrrh which is only noticable in the last dry down.

For those of you that adore Ava Luxe Madame X and Donna Karan Labdanum but find that they sit too close to the skin with little presence / sillage; and those of you who adore the liquid amber luxury of Le Labo Labdanum but due to location and money can only dream of owning a bottle - you should definitely get a sample of this. You will not be disappointed.

Luckily SO also loves it on me. I see a full bottle of this in my near future - yes indeed-dy!

out of

PS: The longevity of this is amazing! Just when I think it has finally gone (after a little activity, warmth, etc) this beauty revives and once more...
    Last edited by moondeva; 22nd April 2007 at 01:56 PM.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

I wore Amber Essence today, too! This is definitely full-bottle worthy for me. I agree wholeheartedly with moondeva's excellent review, and I am glad she beat me to it (reviewing) because I do not think I could be nearly as eloquent as she.

Tomorrow I will choose between Loukhoum and Little Love for gourmand day. Or perhaps I will take turns, one in the morning, the other in the evening.

This is fun!

I'm ignoring the Gourmand day and wearing something else. The ones I have tried so far, including the Oriental Ambers from yesterday, have been too gourmand for me. I don't like that level of sweetness on my skin. I have the White Chocolate sample, but have consigned it back to the box untried.

Today I am wearing Venus Sands which is billed as Tropical/Floral. The notes are
    Gardenia
    Jasmine Sambac
    Waterlily
    Island Orchid
    Comoro Ylang Ylang
    Bergamot
    Nutmeg
    Clove
    Thai Coconut Milk
    Vanilla
    Amber
    Incense
    Sandalwood
    Against my expectations this is very nice. I love perfume that exudes warmth and this one certainly does. The coconut is subtle enough for me, much better managed here than in other so-called Tropical scents I've tried for curiosity. I ignore the whole tropical-holiday-island background. That's my idea of hell, so it is just as well that the incense and gardenia are more pronounced in this sample. It's lovely.

I'm happy to keep this on all day.
    Last edited by Sestra; 22nd April 2007 at 11:51 AM.

AMBER ESSENCE????? ooooo it sounds lovely....must get a sample of that:-)))

For Gourmand day I have:
    Little Love
    Loukhoum
    Cafe Noir
    Citrine

not sure which to go with yet, ALL of my Ava Luxe samples smell gorgeous, I am really pleased with the quality of her perfumes and can see a bottle order in the future...

Post Thanks / Like

For Fruit/Citrus/Gourmand Day I am snarfing up a sample of Wild Blackberry Musk , already drooled over by other BNers. Her website says: Notes: Wild blackberries, Madagascar vanilla, white rose, skin musk, animalic notes.

Man, that doesn't do it justice! After the quick hesperidic opening the sweet/tart berries appear. Blackberry jam at the breakfast table, sun slanting across a bowl of fresh cut roses on the table!! A hint of warmed biscotti in he air...snuggled in a silken goose down robe.

Sheesh. Another FBW!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Clementine today. When I first put it on I thought it was overwhelmingly floral, but it soon settled into a strong orangey smell. It reminds me very much of Eau des Merveilles but less powdery and a bit warmer. I might get this in a body lotion to wear with Eau des Merveilles. Very very nice. Two out of two for me so far!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    For Fruit/Citrus/Gourmand Day I am snarfing up a sample of Wild Blackberry Musk , already drooled over by other BNers. Her website says: Notes: Wild blackberries, Madagascar vanilla, white rose, skin musk, animalic notes.

Man, that doesn't do it justice! After the quick hesperidic opening the sweet/tart berries appear. Blackberry jam at the breakfast table, sun slanting across a bowl of fresh cut roses on the table!! A hint of warmed biscotti in he air...snuggled in a silken goose down robe.

Sheesh. Another FBW!!!
    Oh Lordy, this sounds delicious, Taolady! So sensual, summery, sublime...
    I have seen the raves as well and was intending to order a sample - now this review makes me even more determined to get my hands on some ASAP.

The first scent I wore on Gourmand or Citrus/Fruit Day is Little Love, or Petit Amour, as it was called when I bought my sample. The head notes of Little Love are simply the best creamy chocolate note I ever smelled: I feel warm, happy and cuddly. This note flows into the heart of the scent, where a soapy musk takes over and holds through the drydown. I just wish the chocolate note would last longer and the musk wouldn’t take that shaving foam note on my skin…
    Notes: dark chocolate, almond, skin musk, blonde woods.

I just applied Sheer Pomegranate and will report on it later!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Indian Summer for me today...an almond liquer/ginger blast at the beginning, really sweet with spices (cinnamon? allspice?) and repeating waves of that almond/hazelnut note.

This would be the perfect scent for Thanksgiving Day.

Again, headed out into the Miami heat to breakfast/errands, to see what happens with this. Hope it doesn't get cloying.

UPDATE (2:00pm)

Did not get cloying and although I wasn't in the full sun, it didn't get too thick. It is still going strong - I keep smelling it (strong stuff!). However I don't think I've EVER been wearing a more inappropriate scent, for the time of year, etc. I would NEVER wear something this sweet on a Spring Sunday afternoon and its hard to almost enjoy the scent because it feels so out of place.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Final thoughts:

Nice gourmand - I'm kind of new to the whole gourmand experience (I only own 1 or 2 of them), so I might buy this. I think to properly experience this scent, I'd need to wear it in cold weather. In addition, the almond/nut note is really lovely, if you like a sweet almond note.

Ms. Luxe does good 'almond'
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd April 2007 at 06:55 PM.

Indian Summer for me today...an almond liquer/ginger blast at the beginning, really sweet with spices (cinnamon? allspice?) and repeating waves of that almond/hazelnut note.

I tried Indian Summer last night but got no ginger or spices, just very sweet almonds, too sweet for me.

The lovely Venus Sands (tropical/floral category) which I applied approx 6 hours ago has been reapplied just now. I like it very much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    The first scent I wore on Gourmand or Citrus/Fruit Day is Little Love, or Petit Amour, as it was called when I bought my sample. The head notes of Little Love are simply the best creamy chocolate note I ever smelled: I feel warm, happy and cuddly.....
    Here goes another one on my "to try" list! Thanks Babe!! :bounce:

Yesterday I wore Ambra Tibet, which is my second favorite amber scent I've tried (second to Attar Bazaar's Persian Amber). The fragrance is pure amber with a hint of muskiness that makes it smells a tad dirty but in a good way - like ground up Tibetan amber incense mixed with the red clay dust that swirls on the roads in Tibet and gets in everyone's clothing. My favorite thing about this fragrance is the sillage - it is the perfect medium on me. It is extremely long lasting (which is incredible on my skin considering it eats fragrances at lightening speed) and is neither too faint to smell without sticking your wrist right up to your nose nor too bold to annoy the girl on the mat next to you in yoga class.

My apologies with the late reviews for yesterday's Oriental/Amber theme. Work craziness has prevented me from writing fuller reviews for A-L week but I hope to post more during the coming week.

For today's gourmand theme, I will just add that I only have one full bottle of Ava-Luxe perfume and that is Loukhoum. It is my holy grail of gourmand scents - unique and delicious.
    Last edited by luyuan; 22nd April 2007 at 03:46 PM.
    Currently Wearing for Spring:
    La Chasse aux Papillons, Do Son, Eau de Lierre, Premier Figuer, No. 5 Sensual Elixir, No. 19, En Passant, Hiris, With Love, Vent Vert, and Citta di Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately I spilled my entire sample of Indian Summer on my bed! Fortunately it was a nice, cuddly gourmand, all nuts vanilla and musk and maybe a little caramel?? I didn't get much spice, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand day - Part #1

Loukhoum
    Quote Originally Posted by ava-luxe.com
    A fragrance inspired by the Turkish delight candy called rahat loukhoum. A creamy sweet and musky scent composed of honeyed almonds, rose absolute, pistachio, hazelnut and cream.
    If you are seeking a Loukhoum scent that smells like the commercial Turkish Delight jellied sweet (roses, lemon, almond and caterers sugar), this is not the scent for you.

Loukhoum started out rich and nutty, dominated by a delicious unsalted pistachio accord. A wonderfully warm, comforting original gourmand scent which, surprisingly, was not overly 'foody' given the notes and the fragrance premise. Soon the hazelnuts and almonds assert themselves but any extreme 'nuttiness' is tempered by the soft rose and cream. In fact this is very creamy, like an expensive praline.

Sadly, Loukhoum then morphs into Johnson's baby lotion on me. Still very creamy and comforting but not what this mature, out of diapers, woman wants to smell like. Occasionally, the smooth creamy hazelnut resurfaces but the baby lotion accord sticks around to the end. Lasting power and presence is great, as with most Ava Luxe blends.

An original blend that I enjoyed for the most part. I would wear this on those cold, grey miserable days when you just need something juvenile, low key and a little edible to make you feel cosy and cossetted. I love the rare nuttiness of this scent along with the luxe creaminess but sadly the Johnson's Baby Lotion note that emerges on my skin, ruins it for me.

out of

Milk
    A gentle milk perfume, slightly sweet, with a soft and airy musk base. Soothing and cozy.

Notes: Milk, Vanilla, Musk.
    Another wonderful, low key, comfort scent from the Ava Luxe line. Milk is exactly what it says 'on the tin' - a gentle milk scent, but in this case it it the warm, gentle scent of sweetened condensed milk.

On my skin this scent is very much a linear, one note perfume but that's what also makes it perfect. It may get a little warmer / sweeter as it dries down but essentially what you smell at the beginning is what you get right through to the end. The whole scent just gets lighter and softer until it finally, gracefully disappears...

When I bought a sample of this my one fear was that it would end up turning buttery and cloying but thankfully this is not the case. In fact the vanilla and musk are so airy that it wears as a 'skin-but-better' scent that is very soft and snuggly, like a baby's neck.

Even this snarly old lady cannot resist, and though I will not rush out and buy a full bottle, I feel I will definitely comeback to this scent in the future. This would make a perfect bedtime scent, especially in body products (shower gel, body lotion) and I also think this would also be great layered over other, more assertive 'gourmand' scents to tone down and smooth rough edges.

out of

Last edited by moondeva; 22nd April 2007 at 05:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ack, Elf! Well at least your bed will smell terrific!

Today's scent has been

Cafe Noir

This kicks off with an amazing blast of coffee - it reminds me of liquer coffee or Tia Maria. A hint of lavendar appears soon after but emphasises rather than detracts from the gourmand quality. As it develops, the coffee becomes less pronounced and a chocolatey wood arrives on the scene. There's a hint of something musty, but it's smoky and earthy rather than skanky.
    Of all the coffee-based scents I've sniffed, this is by far and away the most satisfying. Full bottle worthy? I can't say that I'm not tempted! Cafe Noir is on my short list for sure.

Update on pm scent: I don’t know if my Sheer Pomegranate and the Pomegranate on Serena’s site are one and the same scent, but here goes: the opening is tart, green and slightly floral. I smell not only the ruby-like, sweet little seeds, but first and foremost the whole fruit with its dry and almost bitter-green smelling rind. The result is very fresh and summery, and totally unsweet, with the floral notes taking over at some point into the drydown.
    Now I'm going to rummage through my samples for a bedtime gourmand...maybe Abricot de Vanille? Amande Sucrée?
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 22nd April 2007 at 06:53 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Of all the coffee-based scents I've sniffed, this is by far and away the most satisfying. Full bottle worthy? I can't say that I'm not tempted! Cafe Noir is on my short list for sure.
    You're the second person that I've heard say that Cafe Noir was their very favorite coffee fragrance - I almost bought the sample to try it...now I will for sure. I love the smell of coffee and CN sounds quite perfect.

A big hello back to fellow Aussie, Beachie17!

Firstly, I thought I'd write a small paragraph on how "Shisha" develops on my skin as nobody else seemed to get smoke & tobacco notes. Sweet honeyed fruit tobacco then within a minute or two - smoke is added to the mix. I was surprised at just how smokey this scent was on my skin & if I breathed in deep I could detect a hint of sandalwood.

O.K., now on to "Creme Brulee"! What can I say - I was curious how this one would smell. It's not just the scent of the Creme Brulee dessert as your about to eat it, instead you getting the cooking process too. Meaning the first aroma I get is the burnt sugar, it's strong, just like you get as you're standing over the stove. Then comes the caramel, vanilla & creamy milk notes. The drydown is the finished dessert - yum! Only a small amount of fragrance is needed, this one would be overwhelmingly sweet & sickly if over applied. I don't know how much I'd wear a scent like this, if I'm completely honest, not very often as I'm not big on gourmands. But, it's a wonderful & surprisingly complex dessert fragrance.

Great reviews everyone, I'll be purchasing some more Ava Luxe samples in the not too distant future!!!
    Last edited by moonlight_flower; 23rd April 2007 at 01:17 AM. Reason: corrected typo / spelling

Today I tried:

Cafe Noir, which is a wonderful coffee scent...it's got the coffee note, but it's tempered with berries and spice that make it lovely to wear...I am considering a bottle!

Creme Brulee: YUMMY!!! Sugar and caramel, very sweet...a rainy day comfort scent for sure..

Little Love: Wonderful yummy chocolate opening and then gets very nutty...lasts a long time

Loukhoum....warm and nutty and just like a dessert...then goes all rose on me

Looking forward to trying more of these wonderful scents....

Post Thanks / Like

Wild Blackberry Musk--

Wild blackberries, Madagascar vanilla, white rose, skin musk, animalic notes.

This is a wonderful fragrance. I own it in perfume oil. I adore blackberries to smell and to eat. This smells just like ripe blackberries that you would pick in the hot sun. The other notes are in the background, thus allowing blackberries center stage. The vanilla and the musk are detectable to me, but they are very well blended in. I cannot really pick out the rose or the animalic notes individually. I love this fragrance and give it 5 stars for a simple but enchanting musk scent.

Reminiscent of Eau de Charlotte without the cocoa.

Midnight Violet is one of my favourites & I'll be buying a full bottle when my sample's empty.

This fragrance transports me to a forest - a moonlight walk in the forest, to be more precise. The smell of the earth beneath my feet & the aroma of mossy woods in the air, a glade appears before me & the smell of wild violets suddenly surrounds me. I can see the silhouettes of the violets in the moonlight & settle down against a tree trunk so I can close my eyes & let my senses take over. Visualizing the Wood fairies & elves from my childhood dreams, dancing in the glade amongst the violets??? No, I must be mistaken... but this is one very enchanting fragrance!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I also wore Milk today, moondeva. I thought it was very good--the vanilla is a bit richer and the whole a bit sweeter than my CSP Matin Calan. I'll have to another wrist to wrist to really decide, but so far I believe Milk would win, if for no other reason it's availability in a parfum oil.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Cafe Noir:

Other people above me described it well, but I think this is truly incredible. This is the best coffee fragrance I've ever tried, and I'm definitely buying a full bottle. It turns anywhere you go into a private cafe... very nice for a rainy day reading at home, but it's suitable for anywhere. It's definitely gourmand, but interestingly tempered with non-gourmand notes which kept it from ever seeming cloying on my skin. It's almost odd that I would like this so much since I don't drink coffee, but I do love the smell.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Monday everyone - today I'm sampling Film Noir.

Is that leather I smell? Another strange note, similar to the inside of a automotive repair shop (industrial lubricant?) Did I grab the wrong sample bottle and apply a Comme de Garcons Synthetic cologne?? No, it's Film Noir.

I luv strange scents - this is strange but also sultry. A little something else too (mint?) to give it some sharpness and not make it too, too dark. I'm liking this.

I feel like this is the first Ava Luxe I've sampled that is very appropriately named - It's dramatic and dark.

Off to work...will update my post later.

Update:

OK, this scent LASTS! I smelled it all afternoon. Very nice longvity and the industrial / rubber and/or latex notes faded in the drydown. Yes, I think the mint smell I got earlier WAS the spruce (surprised me, since I guess I thought I knew what spruce smelled like...?) Interesting mix. Of all of the Ava Luxe's I've tried, this one stands out. Really nice and cutting edge smell.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Overall review: Film Noir is everything the Comme de Garcons Synthetic Series WANTED to be: unique, strange and modern. The sweet notes in this scent play backstage to the odd notes - and I like that. Really nice longevity too. Think I would wear this to an art gallery opening or even on the dancefloor, I'd like to see how heat/sweating might transform this into a beast of a scent. I see Film Noir in my Wardrobe very soon.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th April 2007 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's the spruce. It smells a little medicinal. I'll post my review of it a bit later once I'm home.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Happy Monday everyone - today I'm sampling Film Noir.

Is that leather I smell? Another strange note, similar to the inside of a automotive repair shop (industrial lubricant?) Did I grab the wrong sample bottle and apply a Comme de Garcons Synthetic cologne?? No, it's Film Noir.

I luv strange scents - this is strange but also sultry. A little something else too (mint?) to give it some sharpness and not make it too, too dark. I'm liking this.

I feel like this is the first Ava Luxe I've sampled that is very appropriately named - It's dramatic and dark.

Off to work...will update my post later.
    I thought I was picking up cigarette smoke until you put a new pic in my head, Perez. Now I smell a woman standing in a repair garage looking furtively up at her car's undercarriage while the overalls-wearing mechanic points at her problem. She's a classy women and the scent is pleasant. Is there a little rubber, too, like Bulgari Black? At any rate, this is a fun trial.

Midnight Violet for me. Powdery violet at first, evolving now into something a bit woodier and sexier. Very nice. I don't have anything like this in the wardrobe at the mo, may need some!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand day - Part #2

Royal Vanilla
    A decadent dark vanilla bean fragrance with a touch of smoldering spice. This vanilla is fit for a queen!

Notes: vanilla bean, French vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, amber, hazelnut.
    If you are seeking a vanilla scent that smells like the generic, powdery sweet candied stuff peddled in every second feminine scent these days, then you are going to be sorely disappointed - this is not the scent for you.

Royal Vanilla is all about the french vanilla and embodies that wonderful dark, almost bitter, smokey delicious aroma of good, strong European flavoured coffees that you get in the wonderfully atmosperic little cafes, off the beaten track. Please understand, there is no trace of coffee in this blend but that aura is there. Maybe it is the smokey nuttiness of the hazelnut in the base that creates this association.

SO says this smells of old style luxury butterscotch to him - the kind made with real butter, cream, vanilla pods and scotch, not the artificial 'just add milk' scent regularly found on the supermarket shelf under 'packet desserts'. I can see how he gets this impression. Royal Vanilla is a very dark, smokey, almost balsamic 'true' vanilla scent - which happens to be light years away from the lighter sugar laden vanilla we know and love. There is a delicious 'burnt sugar' element to it which is wonderful. Lasting power and presence is great, as with most Ava Luxe blends.

An original blend that I enjoyed for the most part. I would wear this on those cold, grey miserable days when you just need something elegant, sophisticated and but still a little edible. I love the aromatic, elegant smokiness of this scent. This is my kind of gourmand! I think that it will be delicious anytime but especially in autumn and winter during the grey, cold rainy days. I think it will be wonderful layered with other less complex creamier vanillas, and soft woods or musks (Ava Luxe Milk, Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon, TBS Vanilla, Dunhill Desire For a Woman, Diesel Plus Plus Feminine). This is also dark, complex and smoky enough to be worn very comfortably by a man - like Cafe Noir.

Another one to add to the Full Bottle Wish List...

out of

Vintage or Chypre day - Part #1

Biba
    Inspired by an era of style, glamour and decadence ... where wit and style reigned supreme.
    A sleek blend of spices and sensual woods. A woody oriental fragrance.

Notes: Bergamot, Elemi, Pepper, Incense, Hiba wood, Himalayan Cedar, Cedar of Lebanon, Patchouli, Night queen, Sandalwood, Tunisian Amber, Musk
    Another exquisite scent from the Ava Luxe line. Biba is listed as a chypre on the Ava Luxe website but personally, judging from the notes and how this develops on my skin, this is actually a Wood / Resin scent.

When I was seeking recommendations for Ava Luxe samples for myself a while back, someone recommended this scent to me, saying that it seemed like 'your kind of scent'. I'm not sure if they were referring to my unabashed love of all things chypre or if they instinctively were aware of my reawakened love and compatibility with smooth incensy amber wood scents. Either way, they were spot on.

Luckily for me Serena had included a free sample of Biba in my last order so I decided to try it today. Because it is listed under chypre I was expecting something classic and mossy along the lines of her great Chypre Noir / Dark Chypre or Ingenue. And Biba did smell like it would be like that when sniffed straight from the vial.

So you can imagine my surprise and confusion when what emerged on my skin was a smooth, soft bergamot and spicy elemi / pepper accord. Then the scent seemed to disappear! Now, I know that Ava Luxe EDPs can be fleeting on me, but this was ridiculous! I was all ready to apply my newly discovered (tested) love, Ava Luxe Chaotic / Chaos type parfum when something made me stop and give the scent a chance to develop further...

I am so glad I did. On my chemistry, smooth creamy white woods like cedar and sandalwood tend to 'disappear' at first and become 'skin-but-better' background notes to more assertive notes in the blend. They do come forward once the whole scent settles and then their smooth, clean creaminess lasts for hours.

In Biba, it is the woods (cedar, hiba, sandal) that rule, adorned and supported by the other notes of amber, musk, patchouli and incense. I cannot pick out the night queen floral note but I appreciate the softening complexity it adds to this otherwise sleek uncompromising blend. The whole has dried down to a wonderfully classic understated 'skin-but-better' soft woody musk scent, very reminiscent of her Chaos type blend but much less spicy, smoother and softer...and I am in love. I hope to try this in parfum form before committing to a full bottle but I know that this purchase is unlikely to be a mistake.

For those of you who love scents like L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer, 10 Corso Como, Donna Karan Black Cashmere or Chaos but can find them too smoky, spicey, heavy and incensey, then Biba may be just the scent for you. Perfectly balanced with no one element overwhelming the others this is smooth sophistication from beginning to end. A perfect anytime, anywhere scent.

Another Ava Luxe winner.

out of

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I also wore Milk today, moondeva. I thought it was very good--the vanilla is a bit richer and the whole a bit sweeter than my CSP Matin Calan. I'll have to another wrist to wrist to really decide, but so far I believe Milk would win, if for no other reason it's availability in a parfum oil.
    Funny! Many on MUA who mention loving both find the Ava Luxe Milk the less sweet, more sophisticated, better lasting prefered one of the two. I am not appreciative of overly sweet, synthetic gourmand scents at the best of times , so few scents of that kind will receive high marks from me. I find that Comptoir Sur Pacifique perfumes tend to be particularly guilty of these crimes - my teeth ache just thinking about them. Maybe it is because my chemistry can make some scents much sweeter than they are originally, but I do believe that the perfume is to blame as well.

Although I dislike these types of scents in general I do find Ava Luxe Love's Truish Blue Light and Milk very wearable, good examples of this baby soft gourmand musk genre, with Milk being perfect for wearing all year round.

I am definitely considering purchasing a wee bottle of the parfum myself...
    Last edited by moondeva; 23rd April 2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

On Chypre/Vintage day, Serena’s magnificent Anne Klein II type. I am wearing the EdP this time and I do prefer it over the perfume oils – I want lasting power and sillage, and this one has them both.
    Opulent, rich, packed with glorious notes – I go crazy over that peach spiced up with ylang-ylang and carnation, dipped in amber and sweetened by vanilla and benzoin! A superb rendition of an elegant power Oriental. It calls for pearls, velvets, high heels, silk stockings.
    Another must have….

Post Thanks / Like

My choice for Chypre/Vintage day is from one of my first full bottle Ava Luxes - the glorious, glamourous Film Noir!! :bounce:

Here are the notes from Serena's site....

Black Leather
    Suede
    Hemlock Spruce
    Ambergris
    Mousse de Chine
    Morrocan Rose
    Black Amber
    Green Grass
    Civet
    Olibanum
    Bergamot
    Coumarin
    Tobacco
    Tonka Bean

and the effect for me is total different from those previously described!! :bounce: And the definition!! :bounce::bounce:

The opening is brightly hesperidic with roseate tobacco undertones. I get the crisp bergamot right away with a hint of mossy green - and only after a while do the leather notes and tonka put in an appearance. I get none of the service station effect mentioned by others.

The dry down is musky, tinged with coumarin and heavy roses. To me this is all sables and diamonds and the corner banquette at El Morocco!

That's why I invested in a full bottle!!

Meanwhile, all your reviews of Biba, Cafe Noir, and Creme Brulee and Milk (never mind Loukhoum and Little Love) are making my "to try list" ominous in length!!

Talking Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

My samples arrived today! YAY.

I missed the first two days but I am wearing the beautiful Moss! A simple name for a true mossy chypre...oakmoss, labdanum and spanish moss with a little bit of lavender and a nice ambery base.

Well worth the wait. This is my first Ava Luxe sample and I feel this is as sophisticated as any chypre I've tried.

Thanks Moondeva for running this thread! I am so happy with this.

I bought 6 simples and received 2 bonus samples of Shisha and Venus Sands.

Sheer heaven

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    My samples arrived today! YAY.

I missed the first two days but I am wearing the beautiful Moss! A simple name for a true mossy chypre...oakmoss, labdanum and spanish moss with a little bit of lavender and a nice ambery base.

Well worth the wait. This is my first Ava Luxe sample and I feel this is as sophisticated as any chypre I've tried.

Thanks Moondeva for running this thread! I am so happy with this.

I bought 6 simples and received 2 bonus samples of Shisha and Venus Sands.

Sheer heaven
    Welcome to Ava Luxe Anonymous!! :bounce: (Too bad about your etailer experience - hope it works out. Meantime - you've made a brand new friend here in AL!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Film Noir

Chypres have always intrigued me. After all, my first adult perfume, Mitsouko, is a chypre. I had high hopes for Film Noir - the name itself is so evocative. A rainy city at 2am; a lone musician practising his saxophone in a seedy motel room lit only by the flickering neon sign across the way.
    What I got instead was...hospitals? The initial blast was distinctily medicinal; not so much film noir as ER. Perhaps it was the spruce, but that medicinal smell dominated on my skin. After several hours it softened slightly and became a little more mellow, with a hint of something dirty (but in a good way). However, it never really developed the ambery glow I get with chypres like Mitsouko or Aromatics Elixir, and whilst I found it interesting, I found it difficult to like.

Thumbs up Re: The Ava Luxe Experience - Spring / Summer Edition!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Welcome to Ava Luxe Anonymous!! :bounce: (Too bad about your etailer experience - hope it works out. Meantime - you've made a brand new friend here in AL!!)
    Well I just got my refund after nearly 2 months, many calls and finally a promise to go to Biz-Rate and the BBB. So the nightmare is over. And it is an experience I will never repeat.

Besides I've found (or you've shown me) Ava Luxe and I think there a re a few bottles in the not too distant future. I also tried Amber Essence and Kretek and I am thrilled with the Amber Essence. It is a very clean amber that is not laden down with distracting woods. It's feeling very bottle worthy.

Kretek is a very clove laden scent and a lot like its namesake, isn't it? Waiting for this to develop more fully. If I start smelling less clove more tobacco it's a winner.

I am also wondering how AL Scandal compares with the original Lanvin. I have some vintage Scandal parfum and "eau de" and can easily compare the two. The notes sound like a great match.

Back to the Chypres...the vintage Coty type chypre notes do not sound as close to my current old bottle as the Moss does. Coty may have a bit more floral in the initial topnote, but I am missing the carnation in the vintage scent. Moss shares the green feeling more fully, imo, although the original Coty has a very aldehydic sparkle at the top.

Moss is a very green chypre, summery, cool and sheer. I may need it!

Post Thanks / Like

Samples arrived!

For Chypre day I'm testing Silk.

Silk has Atlas cedarwood, fruits, and spices. It smells vintage, and gives off an air of elegance and sophistication. It's a very beautiful, cool, yet rich fragrance that gets spicier as it drys down. Very enjoyable!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Vintage or Chypre day - Part #2

Midnight Violet
    The enchanting scent of black violets in a twilight forest.

A deep, earthy violet fragrance. The violets are accented with wood, incense, moss, and earth notes for mysterious depth. A touch of balsam and musk lend a warm sensuality to the fragrance.

This scent is suitable for a woman or a man.
    Notes: Violet, Blue iris, Orris, Earth, Black hemlock, Galbanum, Pink pepper, Cinnamon, Cedar, Sandalwood, Incense, Wood balsam, Moss, Civet, Cashmere musk
    I am sorry, this review is going to be rather short but for once I am in the presence of such beauty that I simple cannot adequately describe.
    On a practical (descriptive) level - if you love the dark, loamy earthy beauty of L'Artisan Voleur de Roses, and love the unique homage that it has paid to the magnificant rose, then you will also probably adore Ava Luxe Midnight Violet except this time the star(s) are violet and iris. A truly sublime blend that I would recommend to any and all. Don't think that this will be dominated by patchouli - it isn't, but it must be experienced fully in a day long wearing (minimum) before forming a judgement about it. An exquisite modern classic for those who love violets and or iris.

In fact, even though it is truly perfect alone, I am already drooling at the prospect of layering it with other kindred beauties (like Dior Homme, Hermes Hiris, Guerlain Vol de Nuit, Balmain Jolie Madame, Guerlain Les Meteorites, Guerlain Apres l'Ondees and many more...). There is definitely a full bottle of this in my near future. This is also dark, complex and earthy enough to be worn very comfortably by a man - like Film Noir, Cafe Noir, and Rasa Xtreme.

Another one to add to the Full Bottle Wish List...

out of

Vintage or Chypre day - Almost Ran#1

Scandal type
    A dramatic leather/animalic fragrance with citrus top notes , a powdery floral heart of orris, iris, and rose, potent animalic and resinous base notes.
    Notes:bergamot, citron, neroli, Mandarin orange, leather, iris, rose, orris, Siam benzoin, civet, vetiver, moss, frankincense, vanilla.
    Sadly this was a great disappointment to me, especially after smelling the real thing. I think this may be due to a modern synthetics malfunction rather than the blend. The notes sound wonderful but they do not work together here. I am a great fan of Lanvin Arpege and My Sin and had a pretty good idea what to expect of Scandal - should I ever get to try it. Recently my prayers were answered and an amazing fragrance fairy out of the blue graced me with a wee sample of the extrait... Beautiful! Truly amazing, and smelling roughly as I expected. I am grateful that I was lucky enough to be able to experience this long gone beauty - but that's another review entirely.

Ava Luxe Scandal type is definitely a smooth leather in the classic style but it is somehow soulless and very very bitter on the skin. I don't know what caused it but it never entirely disappeared and ruined the scent for me. I tried to enjoy it in it's own right but no, the blend is just wrong - at least to my nose.

My first Ava Luxe no-no!

out of

Vintage or Chypre day - Almost Ran#2

Film Noir
    Dangerous Beauty.

Film Noir ~ A gorgeous leather fragrance with sueded notes that is sure to kindle your darkest desires.

Notes: Black Leather, Suede, Hemlock Spruce, Ambergris, Mousse de Chine, Morrocan Rose, Black Amber, Green Grass, Civet, Olibanum, Bergamot, Coumarin, Tobacco, Tonka Bean
    This was the first full bottle purchase that I ever bought from Ava Luxe and it is still one of my absolute favourites, of the many I have tried.

I will not try and give a big descriptive review here. But, for those of you trying to get to grips with all the differing descriptions of Film Noir, here is my short-hand classification / description of the scent:

Imagine Serge Lutens Daim Blond or Donna Karan New York (the original black and gold swan bottle), but less fruity sweet or floral - now imagine it darker, smokier, more leathery and slightly sinister. That is Film Noir.

I posted somewhere else on Basenotes that I consider Film Noir to be the (wicked) spiritual lovechild of Gres Cabochard and Serge Lutens Daim Blond. I still believe that the description is pretty accurate. Ava Luxe Film Noir lasts a darn sight longer as well! I like to layer it with both of the above scents to add dramatic depth and longevity.

Yes there is a metholated spirits edge to the opening but the heart and base are all suede / leather, smokey chypre and a lot of bad attitude - it could teach Piguet Bandit a thing or two...

My first Ava Luxe love, that I would do all over again!

out of
    Last edited by moondeva; 24th April 2007 at 03:27 PM.

I am totally enjoying this experience and these fragrances:-))) Not being familiar with the Chypre family I chose:

Chypre Type (Vintage), Biba, Dark Chypre, and Film Noir

I think these are all very lovely scents with Biba standing out as my favorite...Film Noir has a edge to it that is almost clove-ish, on the right woman it would be devastingly gorgeous, it's dark and mysterious...Biba is warm, woody and a bit smokey/sweet with a gorgeous drydown and the one most suited to me (and also wonderfully described by Moondeva!!!) ....Dark Chypre is very mossy, very green, very sophisticated ....a bit overpowering, as there's somewhat of a powdery/skin lotion note on me and finally Chypre is a pretty scent that seemed most floral/spicy of the group but faded quickly to an warm herbal drydown...it vaguely reminds me of CHAOS....

All in all it was great to sample a group of scents completely new to me and Biba is definately getting another try!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried my sample of Silk in perfume oil today. This is very long lasting and I was aware of smelling fantastic all day long from one application in the morning.

Ava-Luxe website: "A sensual and exotic woody fragrance based around Atlas cedarwood, and balanced out with floral , fruity and spicy notes."

I am wondering what is in this juice. Obviously cedar and oakmoss. I am thinking that there maybe a little bit of white rose, some violet and either plum or peach, some cinnamon and possibly some benzoin.

This is a wonderful, long-lasting, and beautiful fragrance. It is not linear and begins with strong, dry woods, then oakmoss and flowers, then fruit and benzoin.

I like it very much and will definitely be ordering a bottle of it (five stars).

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I am a bit late, but I am still very happy to join this Ava-Luxe Bandwagon.
    I started my trip with Tuberose Diabolique. WOW! I am in love with this tuberose. It is much softer than Fracas or any other tuberose scent which I have tried in the past. It smells like a warm candy bathed in a pot of white flower. It reminds me of a sweet that I had in the past. It is sensual but no in your face femme fatal type of tuberose. I will definately go for a full bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

For "Fresh/Clean-Light Musk" day I'm in a sample of China Rain - from the website: "A clean fresh oriental fragrance with green aldehyic top notes and a heart of white lilies, musk, sandalwood and moss. Classic."

Approached this somewhat apprehensively because "light" frags have a way of disappearing on me. Not this lady! Should have known because my body is receptive to aldehydes - they snuggle up on me and do their thing - morphing here and there but never turning ugly. This is a lovely lily - almost muguet but not as sweet and the green is light and lively. The musky dry down is delicate but pervasive. Reminds me of L' Eau d' Issey although the notes are not the same) and of AL's own Lily.

Great choice for this spring day and for the young in heart! :bounce:

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    not so much film noir as ER.
    Snicker--Sorry to AL, but I so enjoy a clever turn of phrase.

I have my nose in my mailbox (wouldn't that make a funny avatar?) anticipating the floral and musk samples I'm most in the mood for.
    Last edited by Quarry; 24th April 2007 at 12:18 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

It's 'The Beach' by Ava Luxe for me today.

Fun, fun, fun! Instantly reminded me of New West for Her by Aramis (which I own and love better than New West for men).

Watermelon and honeydew dominate the top note, but very soft melon NOT that sharp melon you get from some Bath & Body Work products or Calyx from Prescriptives (although I love Calyx).

I was kind of expecting coconut in this, so I'm pleasantly surprised it isn't here. I hope that this doesn't evolve into too much of a fruity/floral...

Off to work...

UPDATE (pm):

Lastest ALL DAY on me, I smelled all throughout the day, waves and waves of soft melon and something else tropical (green papaya?). It did not remind me of 'beach' scents, more tropical or picnic in my opinion.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Overall Review: If there was a Eau de Parfum available for New West for her (Aramis) then The Beach would be it. Loved the watermelon note - very warm (not aldehydic at all...) and great longevity/sillage. It smelled even better in the heat (I sat in my hot car and didn't turn the a/c on for a few seconds, just so I could smell my scent simmering in the hot air...silly huh?). I might buy a small bottle of this, since I can't imagine a lot of reasons to wear it (I wore it to my office, but it is SO NOT an office frag). Plus, I think AL kinda copied New West for Her with The Beach - thats why I took away a 1/2 star for originality.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th April 2007 at 02:29 AM.

Today I am wearing.....

Love's True Bluish Light
    Wrap yourself in a silky veil of delicate white vanilla that will make you swoon. White amber adds a subtle milky quality. A scent that is certain to play with your heart strings.

Notes : White Vanilla, White Amber, Milky notes, Musk.

This is lovely, the vanilla is just right, not too sweet or heavy and the musk light....this is a gorgeous scent to wear anytime, anywhere and I am IN LOVE!!!!

A bottle is a must for me.....