Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Friday, 23 March 2012

Good morning all,

Sous le Vent for me today.

I think our G. had sweet dreams in his leathery bed sheets.

TGIF! Have a good day!

EDIT: WHY CAN'T I CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE OR DID I FORGET HOW TO?

>> SOLVED THANKS TO DUC!
    Last edited by Larimar; 23rd March 2012 at 09:22 AM.

Default Re: SotD Thursday, 23 March 2012

Good morning!

from a sample; too much like tea for two. and there is no oud. none whatsoever, not one molecule.
    happy friday all!!

NOOOOOO! I don't want to relive Thursday. It is Friday isn't it.... please....

Today for synch Friday (a fragrance slammed by The Guide) I'm in the 1* Fig Tea by PdN - 'fruit nightmare'. May put on the classic Amarige later.

Have a good day all.

Basenotes Member

Good morning all - definitely, thankfully and gratefully Friday...

I am also in synch today Purple Fantasy : Guerlain
    This is testing from a sample - and sorry to say I am with The Guide on this one.

However plenty of overlap with my wardrobe and the 1-star selection. Don't care.

Thanks to Quarry for kind words yesterday - nice to smile

Good Morning,

Thank you all for your kind thoughts on yesterday's thread. I had a fab time last night at the London Perfume Lovers meetup, and have posted a brief, hastily written report on the General Fragrance discussion board.

My SotD - Chanel Cuir de Russie - is here being modelled by some bloke I met last night. Think he said he runs a website or something

Have a great Friday all !

I'm being part of he Sync Friday. Today it's fragrances that are rated one star by LT....I'll never know why this is rated 1 star - Creed Original Santal

Yeah, Dr.G -- that bloke is Grant (some Website or something). LOL!

You are the hunkiest one we have got (after JR and hedonist, of course), BTW.

Thanks for posting the picture, dear. Seems like you need more carrot cakes to plump you up some.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    GMy SotD - Chanel Cuir de Russie - is here being modelled by some bloke I met last night. Think he said he runs a website or something
    Looking good the two models! ^^

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    EDIT: WHY CAN'T I CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE OR DID I FORGET HOW TO?
    You need to push 'edit post', then push 'go advance'!

Default Re: SotD Friday, 23 March 2012

Thanks, Duc! I obviously forgot that it hid there.

Last time we did *-rated fragrances, I went with VW Anglomania.

Since I am in a chypre mood these days, I will do Sisley Eau du Soir -- "a ladelful of woody amber to be smelled three time zones away" (LT) -- we will never tell, but people on the both coasts should be able to smell me without a problem.

I had more to say about it a few years ago:

Symphony orchestra starts the rehearsal,
    Old conductor lifts up his baton.
    Language of music became universal,
    Language of fragrances is catching on.

I'm in Carnegie Hall. Winter's cold gloom.
    Listening to Piano Concerto. Chopin.
    Wearing a spritz of a fabulous perfume,
    Sniffing my wrist every now and then.

After the gambits of brief introduction,
    E-minor movement starts in bergamot,
    Orange and mandarin flutes and percussion
    Piano of rose unites in a knot.

Slow second movement of nocturnal jasmine
    Happens with violet's oboes and horns,
    Lily of valley clarinets are like light within,
    Rose still bears its crown of thorns.

And the Finale's oakmoss in E-major
    Comes with patchouli and juniper zest,
    That krakowiak, as performed by old stager,
    Leaves me in owe and completely impressed.

Both, the scent and the music, are splendid,
    The whole is greater that the sum of its parts....
    Polish and French, so perfectly blended,
    Reaches our souls, our minds, our hearts!

(Mind you, once again, English is my third language).
    Last edited by Twolf; 23rd March 2012 at 10:11 PM.

Cartier Declaration

For the Sync Friday--a lowly one star perfume I adore: Dior's Midnight Poison. All day. Morning, noon, and night. Sinful.

I'm in Victor & Rolf Flowerbomb. It's my only FB 1* fragrance (not counting Nanette Lepore, which I found so insipid I gave to my 10 year old daughter to play with), and I had to laugh when I read the Guide's review: "Post Angel sweet-tooth fantasia that smells like a shop where you buy gummies by the pound". It is super sweet, agreed. But I have in fact been known to enjoy gummies by the pound. And I enjoy this scent, although I think it should have been named Sugarbomb.

Have a charity auction/dinner tonight, and will shower and change before then. Haven't decided on SotE but leaning toward AdP Profumo.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. In synch with Bond No 9 Bleecker Street - and the bottle gets one star from me. Ugh !.

Thanks for a highly enjoyable report, G

Mims, hope the bothersome bog is back behaving beautifully.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 23rd March 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Fracas. Thanks for the eye candy gentlemen. TGIF
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Sur la Plage

Good morning! My SOTD is Guerlain Vetiver (vintage).

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dr. G!!!! You are quite the distinguished looking one, meaning you are HOT! And wearing a Chanel leather to boot. Quite a combo there.

One lonely star for my fragrance today. I gave it three, because it is a pleasant floral to me. But I wouldn't buy a bottle.
    Amouage Reflection Woman.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    Thanks for the eye candy gentlemen.
    What she said!!

I may be inadvertently joining in the Friday synch. I am wearing Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi, a house whose offerings got slammed in The Guide. (I can't say for certain if Musk itself was ever reviewed, though.) In any case I love its rosy-powdery loveliness. <3

Happy Friday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Good Morning. in sync today with

Tom Ford - Extreme

Thumbs up Re: SotD Friday, 23 March 2012

Eau de Parfum

inoubliable Elixir Patchouli

REMINISCENCE
    PARIS
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Good morning!

Love the picture, Gandhajala! Glad to hear you had a good time.

My 1 star fragrance is Givenchy Amarige Mariage, LT called it "prune candyfloss".
    He went on to say, "... a sort of dowager Vanilia that would have been too little
    too late even ten years ago". It certainly isn't the best perfume I own, but I really
    enjoy wearing it and think it smells great. Btw, it doesn't smell like the original
    Amarige at all.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 23rd March 2012 at 02:35 PM.

Hello,

I am in

Field Notes from Paris - Ineke, from a sample.

Have a lovely Friday!

Blog Entries

French Cancan *

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Great photo Gandhajala! Thanks for posting it.

No scent yet...maybe later.

Hello everyone!

I'm willfully not in sync today, although I'm quite sure I have plenty of bombs according to their funny little book. But I have a good excuse - I'm not just being cranky, lol! I received some wonderful Kashmiri saffron recently and I'm making paella for a little dinner party we're hosting tonight, so I thought Rosine's lush and beautiful Rose Kashmirie was the obvious choice...you would think maybe too obvious, but it really does work nicely with savory kitchen aromas.

Oh, hello there gandhajala ...it's so nice to see you this morning! Now you just tell Wolfie to go and fatten up her own husband, you are just fine the way you are...lean and elegant, dimpled (teeheehee!), and you smell good, too ...nothin' to fix.

Wolfie - your ode is really quite impressive! You are a bona fide poet!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 23rd March 2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Hey G. Just going over to read your report. Looking foward to it. BTW Great picture.

TWolf Did you compose the "Ode to Eau du Soir". It is wonderful!

For the synch today I had to rifle the samples and I had a few choices. I have gone with Chanel Gardenia. Oh! What a strange fragrance, and I have some strange fragrances! It begins with an unexpected Lavender, a nice Lavender, but your nose and your bonce are so confused that it takes a second try while thinking "what is that"? (You know how that goes). Then you realise that it is actually a very true, and strong, Lavender. Then there is a phase that smells like Barbie dolls with sweeties, then another phase that surprised me again because I am catching whiffs of a sort of rubbery vanilla which is quite reminiscent of Bulgari Black. Ooooooo. How odd. Worth much more than one star just for the ride. Weird.

Edit at 20:40pm. Weird because my Gardenia sample turned out to be Jersey in a Gardenia sleeve!!
    Last edited by Foustie; 23rd March 2012 at 07:46 PM.

[QUOTE=JON RODGERS;2507044]Good morning all !. In synch with Bond No 9 Bleecker Street - and the bottle gets one star from me. Ugh !.

Oh dear! Couldn't agree more. I was in Bleecker Street once and a car came cruising past, an open topped car entirely covered on the outside in thick FUR. Fabulous!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Eau de Patou pour Homme this morning
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Synching on time today with Mona di Orio's Carnation. I could get very used to this

SoTD is Summer by Kenzo (wore this scent on my wedding day and now it's looking like spring is here, what better than this gorgeous mimosa to go with it...).

Gandhajala, what a nice photo of you and Grant. You look charming and handsome. I'm going over to read your thread about the meetup in just a moment.

Twolf, if I could compose in my first language as well as you do in your third I'd be pretty happy about it!

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    I'm being part of he Sync Friday. Today it's fragrances that are rated one star by LT....I'll never know why this is rated 1 star - Creed Original Santal
    I like that one too!

I'm in synch today, joining Foustie in green, jasminey Chanel Gardénia (thanks very much to a Basenoter friend for the decant). I often agree with LT/TS but there are a few of their stinkers that I really like (Flowerbomb, Champs Elysees, Provocative Woman, Vera Wang Princess, Rumeur, Vent Vert). LT on Chanel Gardenia: it is a thoroughly unpleasant, loud airport-toilet floral, very nearly bad enough to grace the ranges of Creed or La Prairie. I'm giving it a fair chance today. I think it's pleasant enough, actually, but it would not be my first choice. He's right about one thing - this doesn't smell like a Chanel. Maybe I do agree with LT after all - it does smell like a Creed.

TGIF!

just came back from harrods where i spent ONCE AGAIN my lunch break going through testing fragrances, am also testing a couple of samples that i got from dear friends on basenotes (one of them being my sotd which i've already commented is too similar to 'tea for two' to be worthy of a fb).
    odori tobacco - nice tobacco scent but way too sweet and viscous, to the point of cloying (have they tripped on a vat of honey and fallen in?).
    byredo encens chembur (have they already reformulated chembur?) - fleeting, WAY overpriced incense juice that smells exactly like cdg avignon, it does not last more than half an hour on my skin (which is the main issue of the whole byredo line). at £130 for 100ml, i prefer to buy 2-3 bottles of avignon, tvm.
    donna karan black cashmere - oh, i really had high hopes for this. i know it's been relaunched in a new package (and most definitely reformulated) but on my skin it smells like an (albeit gorgeous) upmarket laundry detergent.
    dior granville - inoffensive citrusy summer scent, unfortunately a bit too much of a blast of lemon, for me it smells like lemon pledge (oh dear).
    robert piguet bois noir - this is the one i was most excited about and it delivers on all levels. unfortunately, it smells exactly like nasomatto black afgano (this is what black afgano should've been) and i already have black afgano. when i've asked when will casbah be released, the shop assistant has candidly informed me that 'it will not be until june when the arabs start coming to london/knightsbridge for the summer, it's for the arab market'. honestly. no comment.
    guerlain homme l'eau boisee - this was the last one i've tried and the most 'mainstream', it's also the only one that i actually liked and left me satisfied. a woody, earthy citrus edt, perfect for summer, office, etc, an extension of their classic l'eau pour homme, solidly crafted and inexpensive. i know what i'll buy next.
    Last edited by danny1967; 23rd March 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Chanel Gardenia this morning. I do love this stuff though it's not really gardenia .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Chanel Gardenia this morning. I do love this stuff though it's not really gardenia .
    Yay, three in Gardenia!

Armani Code Pour Homme
    Gary

Blog Entries

SOTD: Original Santal by Creed.

Whoops! I forgot to synch. :/ Wore Un Jardin Sur le Nil. I will synch this evening in the "one star" Eau de Shalimar, or CK Secret Obsession.

Have a great weekend everyone!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Basenotes Plus

Having an afternoon af cutting, trimming, and tidying - hair earlier, lawn next. Will be in synch this evening with Creed Erolfa.

Wolfie, English is my first and only language and you put me to shame with your eloquence

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 23rd March 2012 at 03:51 PM.

Wearing Molinard Bois Precieux, haven't worn this in ages. I haven't actually read the guide, so I don't know if I'm in sync or not. My only issue is that it doesn't last longer on my skin.

Basenotes Plus

Joining the Chanel Gardenia party for my SotA.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Oooo, I could just crush those faces between my hands and smooch those brilliant noses!

Twolf, it is SOO rare that a tempo is made perfect in poetry -- no forced change in emphasis. You're scary-talented.

It's finally raining here, and when I strayed off Synchronization Trail, I slipped down a violet-covered slope.

It started with (1) Bourbon French Parfums violet body powder after a shower, then I dabbed from my whole lineup of reference violets, of which I have less than half-ml each: (2) SL Bois de Violette, (3) Caron Violette Precieuse, (4) Violetta di Parma, (5) Calypso Violette, and (6) AL Midnight Violet. I also applied some (7) Hové Purple Violet, which I have in great quantity, but it always reads more like L'Heure Bleue to me than it does violet. Oh, and then I did find a spot for a drop of (8) Fragonard Rose de Mai. That's 8(!) fragrances, yet my sillage is very modest and cheerfully spring-like.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Twolf, it is SOO rare that a tempo is made perfect in poetry -- no forced change in emphasis. You're scary-talented.
    Agreed - seriously impressive stuff. My only feeble poetic contribution so far has been a lame effort regarding a certain member of the Danish Royal Family......

Sir John Betjeman would have been turning in his grave

My SotD: Byredo Seven Veils

Notes: Carrot, Pimento Berries, Tahitian Vanilla Flower, Laurier Rose, Glycine, Tiger Orchid, Sandalwood, Vanilla Bean

Comments: I woke up CRAVING this, so I'm out-of-synch yet again. This fragrance is richer than my usual fare, and I'm finding it addictive. I had to research some of the notes. Pimento Berries=Allspice; Glycine=Wisteria; Laurier Rose=Oleander

Image: Gustav Klimt, Two Girls with Oleander

Adding my appreciation for Gandhajala's photo, Fleurine's poster, Jon's sailboat photo, and Twolf's poem! Have a great Friday and weekend, everyone!

This thread is making me very happy today - poetry, eye candy, comedy, sniffing excursions... love to you all!

gandhajala, what a handsome gentleman you are! Great photo of you two.
    And Nukapai, wow! I was just thinking of you yesterday, how we haven't seen you in a while, and here you are. Nice to see you.
    Quarry, can I come over and follow you and your violet cloud around?

Ugh, I had too much to drink last night, which for lightweight-cheapdate me is two drinks, plus they seemed grossly over-sized (they were served "up" in a large rocks glass instead of a martini glass).
    Anyway, haven't chosen scent yet but I do believe under these circumstances it will be something uncomplicated and very beautiful. Oh! Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia it shall be. And out of synch I shall be.
    Have a lovely day, all!

SOTE:

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Having an afternoon af cutting, trimming, and tidying - hair earlier, lawn next.
    Not all in the one go I hope Jon! Different tools at least?

Well the Chanel Gardenia is long gone. My order from Maria Cadida Gentile arrived the other day so I am wafting around in Exultat. Working tomorrow early so no Friday night libations for me.

Enjoy your weekend all.

Good Evening,

Another huge thanks for all the lovely comments today. I'm truly overwhelmed.

I see it has been a stellar day for Chanel's Gardénia. Perhaps even a record ?
    Loving the French Can Can and Klimt pics too.
    Turquoisewater - I hope you're starting to feel better. Just remember: 3pm is the time when all hangovers magically disappear.

Wearing Musc Ravageur tonight.
    Best wishes to all.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Turquoisewater - I hope you're starting to feel better. Just remember: 3pm is the time when all hangovers magically disappear.
    Thank you. Three and a half hours to go...

Evening all. Still in synch and almost scent twins with Kiliwia in original Amarige.

Roses are red, violets are blue ... and I couldn't write poetry if my life depended on it. Nice verses Twolf!

I just topped off my Rose Kashmirie with Safran Troublant....mmmmm, so delicious.

Last edited by Evangeline; 23rd March 2012 at 06:10 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Dr. G! You are so handsome! And so tolerant of our friskiness! Very glad you had fun, will be reading that post as soon as I get the time.

After stinking up the place this morning in my one star Champs Elysees, I am now in Ava Luxe Bakir. Happy Friday!
    The nose wants what it wants!

queen of the universe

In keeping with the sync, I'm delivering a one-two punch to snarkeurs Turin&Sanchez: Mayotte AND Champs-Elysées (CE on the pulse, M on the back of the forearm). I love each, one-star be damned, together It has the effect of being at work while planning one's vacation, two places at once in effect. :P bbbbbphhhhth!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Quarry, can I come over and follow you and your violet cloud around?
    Take exit 295 off the interstate. I'll keep the porch light on.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

summer means fireflys

I don't think I'm in synch today ... I have not read the book, so I have no clue what LT or TS think of Angel Liqueur de Parfum. I think it's wonderful and THAT is what counts ...

Happy Friday everyone and go Jayhawks!
    I've trademarked the color bleu