Code of Conduct

Default Addictive qualities in leather and civet notes?

Something is happening to me and I'm not sure if it's just me or what. All of a sudden, after finishing a decant of Tabac Blond, I actually crave smelling the leather scents on me. A day doesn't go by when I'm constantly seeking and always sniffing my bottles of Tabac Blond and Chanel Cuir de Russie. I'm noticing and seeking for theses note above others when I sample, such as in Djedi, Daim Blond, Attrape Coeur, and finding that I want more and more leather.

Is it a sensitivity to this smell, or is this leather note actually addictive? Does anyone else experience this?
    Last edited by dimples; 21st April 2007 at 12:11 PM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Talking Re: Addictive qualities in leather and civet notes?

Great post! I have sometimes wondered if I am particularly hard wired to love certain notes..
    I suspect that it is an individual preference and sensitivity and not a true physiological addiction. A psychological addiction to fragrance? That I understand all too well!

Default Re: Addictive qualities in leather and civet notes?

I feel the same way about these scents. I'll be testing a new frag, and then start craving Tabac Blond so will put a little on the inside of my elbow just so I can sniff it too! I very often wear it to bed and fear the full size bottle I purchased will not last long at the rate I'm using it. Very addictive!!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

My favorite leather is Lanvin Scandal, and I live in fear of the day I no longer have any. There are indeed days when nothing but this will do.

Well, I understand that one of the outstanding symptoms of physical addiction is withdrawal when the suspected substance is removed. If that includes sobbing and sniveling and whimpering and scrabbling through drawers to find anything - anything - with leather (or roses - or chypre - or chocolate....or peony - here I raise my hand ) in it - then I'd say "Yeah - Addictive!" :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I've had the same experience. I go through phases of loving certain "types" of perfume, and I began as a heavy gourmand lover. It came to my attention, however, that I can really wear leather - I mean, wear it. It just suits me, and I get more compliments in leather frags than I do in any other type of scent. Since then, I've found my real HG (Daim Blond) and have had some really tasty flirtations with other leathers (Tabac Blond, Jicky). It might just be a matter of finding what suits you best. IMO leather melds with the skin to give you a real scent, rather than hanging apart from the skin in a perfumey chemical cloud. That's what sets it apart for me.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Thanks for all the great advice.

Been trying to give it some time, but I just crave the smell (especially if mixed with tobacco notes) and want more. Like Spicegirl, I reserve a bit a skin, normally inside my elbows to dab a bit to sniff during the day. Funny though, I wouldn't give up my SOTD.

This past weekend, I've be online reading about leathers, sampling some, looking at prices, etc. I think that I've narrowed it down to some that I like:

Cabochard Gres - like it a lot, jury is still out
    Ava Luxe Madame X - love it, ordered it along with sample of Film Noir
    Balmain Jolie Madame - on wish list
    Bandit - I don't smell leather here? - could be old sample at the store
    Habanita - will sample it tonight
    Knize Ten - on wish list

Based on some reviews here at BNs, I want to sample:

Creed Royal English Leather
    Montale's Oud Cuir D'Arabie
    SL Cuir Maresque (sp?)

For sure, I'm addicted and am hoping it's just a matter of time. But then I think, I'll be passionate about another note. :toppie:

Just too crazy!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I think this aspect must be a signal of where something like the Oud cravings begin..... I have the same with ambergris and frankincense.

Basenotes Institution

I do think civet and leather are addictive notes - I love leather and the civet in Jicky drives me crazy ......more than the civet in Joy to be honest.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I love Cabochard and I want to at least try the others mentioned.Azuree has a nice floral leather and it is still availiable on store shelves too .Luca Turin had it listed in the guide as a best leather (among 8 others on best of leathers list).

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice.

Been trying to give it some time, but I just crave the smell (especially if mixed with tobacco notes) and want more. Like Spicegirl, I reserve a bit a skin, normally inside my elbows to dab a bit to sniff during the day. Funny though, I wouldn't give up my SOTD.

This past weekend, I've be online reading about leathers, sampling some, looking at prices, etc. I think that I've narrowed it down to some that I like:

Cabochard Gres - like it a lot, jury is still out
    Ava Luxe Madame X - love it, ordered it along with sample of Film Noir
    Balmain Jolie Madame - on wish list
    Bandit - I don't smell leather here? - could be old sample at the store
    Habanita - will sample it tonight
    Knize Ten - on wish list

Based on some reviews here at BNs, I want to sample:

Creed Royal English Leather
    Montale's Oud Cuir D'Arabie
    SL Cuir Maresque (sp?)

For sure, I'm addicted and am hoping it's just a matter of time. But then I think, I'll be passionate about another note. :toppie:

Just too crazy!
    royal english leather is great, i have a bottle and it is my fav leather ever, nothing comes close to the natural smell and the quality. it is addicting you have to be careful.

Azuree is a sweet leather -- fab. I am wearing vintage Femme extrait today, and it is one of the softest, loveliest leathers I have tried. Very similar to Daim Blond, I feel. One of the ugliest leathers for me is Cuir Ottoman: grotesque.

Tabac Blond is a prince among scents -- you are addicted with good reason
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

My craving for leather notes waxes and wanes. The most alluring leather I ever encountered was in Piguet's Bandit and Private Blend: Japon Noir by Tom Ford. The latter is perfectly blended, rich and smooth. Like a perfect fitting leather glove.
    Seeking used: Hermes Terre EDT, Etro Etra and Kenzo Oriental.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    royal english leather is great, i have a bottle and it is my fav leather ever, nothing comes close to the natural smell and the quality. it is addicting you have to be careful.
    Yes, yes, yes Royal English Leather - come to mama !

I have noticed leather and civet notes are VERY addictive for me too, much more so than I had anticipated. I thought I would only need one good leather frag in my wardrobe and so bought a jug o' Chanel Cuir de Russie..... now I can see that this hobby is getting more expensive by the day!

running to try Royal English Leather...enablers!

I haven't experienced what you've described with leather, dimples, but I have been catching whiffs of Kelly Caleche out of nowhere the past week. (I'm actually wearing it today, it's my newest paramour.) I've never experienced that phantom smell thing before. I seriously heart Tabac Blond, too, but that one is for some reason much more elusive. I can't imagine what it smells like when I'm not wearing it. I'm thinking I really need to check out this Royal English Leather, you all are making it sound so tempting!

I have felt occasional inexplicable urges to sniff things with massive amounts of aldehydes, though.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 9th June 2010 at 10:49 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I'm telling you, Royal English Leather is gorgeous. I actually prefer it to Tabac blond and Cuir de Russie- it's got this skin melding quality going on .it's a leather you can wear daily ,at any time. It's unisex to me and it is addictive as DavidBond007 said.

Mimi - have you tried Cuir Mauresque? To my nose, REL, Cuir Mauresque, and Knize Ten kind of fall on a scale of lighter to heavier while smelling similar, Cuir Mauresque being slightly spicier and creamier ( it's hard to think of the right terms with these types of fragrances ) compared to a lighter, softer REL. I think it's definitely worth checking out for fans of REL, though I wouldn't follow Mr. Lutens practice of dumping a full bottle ( ! ) on myself.

Basenotes Institution

hmm... food for thought, Suga ! Sounds wonderful as does Knize Ten !Left you a message on the blog.

On animal notes in general - I love them. I'm particularly a fan of castoreum in fragrances like L'Arte di Gucci ( castoreum city ) and Gandhara ( ditto ). Civet is great too, and I love it in Jicky parfum ( completely overt ) and Ubar ( subtly magical ). I have still yet to smell another fragrance that satisfies my leather cravings like Cuir Ottoman, which is like stepping inside a new leather shoe that's been perfumed with iris butter.

Civit is the one that I can't get enough of.

Alma de Alma by Madini doesn't CLAIM civet, but it smells of it, to me.

Love Potions Magical Perfumarie's SLF has civet AND copulins. Very sexy.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Mimi - have you tried Cuir Mauresque? To my nose, REL, Cuir Mauresque, and Knize Ten kind of fall on a scale of lighter to heavier while smelling similar, Cuir Mauresque being slightly spicier and creamier ( it's hard to think of the right terms with these types of fragrances ) compared to a lighter, softer REL. I think it's definitely worth checking out for fans of REL, though I wouldn't follow Mr. Lutens practice of dumping a full bottle ( ! ) on myself.
    Suga - Now I've tried it - thanks to a brilliant and kind Basenoter .. - I can say it's gorgeous . Definitely unisex - and as you say - creamy and spicy leather . Total yum.

queen of the universe

Right now, I'm stuck on this creaminess that is the late, late drydown of some vintage fragrances—have yet to experience it in anything modern. It's presence makes itself known after everything lse has faded, a good three hours in or even overnight, most fetchingly in Antilope, followed by My Sin, Zibeline, Maja (not Nueva Maja), and to a lesser extent Chanel N 5, Miss Dior, and Ma Griffe. I think I prefer Antilope for the very subtlety of the civet. It is right at skin level, nose to skin, and I think it's clary sage plus civet and something floral, muguet or ylang. Over the months, I've sensed other notes at work, maybe incense or a resin in addition to what I just mentioned. Mind you, I love other fragrances, but I'm hooked on these in their late phase.

Sometimes gardenia hooks me, too, esp Tuvache Jungle Gardenia, of which I got a teeny tiny sample the last of which persists on a cotton ball sitting in a small porcelain jar for the sniffing.

I like leather, too, tho not so compulsively. I know what you mean by addiction. In the realm of food, the analog would be salted caramels, heaven help me!

ps - just saw how old this thread is! Some questions linger eternal, like some fragrances, never giving up all their mysteries.
    Last edited by jujy54; 23rd March 2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: ps!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I am addicted to ylang ylang, sandalwood, patchouli, civet, oakmoss, jasmine, and gardenia. It's crazy I keep buying the same fragrance over and over! I can't get enough!

I am hooked at the moment on My Sin, a very very vintage bottle. I keep it on the private bend of the arm spot so much these days. Do I crave the aldehydes? Not sure. But I love leather, and amber, and civet. And that something-something in Shalimar that I am not even sure I LIKE, but seem to crave it! I love something I do not like. Bizzare.

And don't even get me started on my addiction to Dzing! or vintage extrait Chanels. I tremble to think of the last drops of my little bottles disappearing and can think of no modern version that will fulfill my need!

I wonder about the actual physical hit/sensation we get from fragrances we love. I don't think it is an ingredient, and can be a different note/accord/perfume for different people. I think we might be addicted to that hit of neurochemicals we get whenever we experience something that gives us pleasure. We seek the sensation again, and again. Our brains are giving us a hit of a pleasure chemical in response to our love of a scent?

I'm not so much addicted to leathers but physically crave certain ones. Having had the opportunity to smell some vintage Tabac Blond (and then encountering its thinner but still beautiful cousin in Harrods), I understand how one can absolutely be addicted to it.

I think it's part personal (the leather smell of my father's jacket is one of my earliest memories, full stop; I was about 2 years old) and part instinctive (particularly with civet and the 'nether region' smells).