Code of Conduct

Default Shisedio Nombre Noir

I'm really intrigued by this one..sounds at least something to try once for any perfume lover....Just wondering if anyone smelt it yet...and can give any input on it. I've seen a 15ml bottle of the parfum go for $500-600 on ebay...though I think there's an ebay seller doing a 1ml decant of the EDP for 10 bucks now...can be a good chance to finally try it out.

Also, I found this...a little interesting read on Nomber Noir:

http://faber.lateral.net/media/files...rnd=1140619457

Any thoughts?....I think there's one really old thread on this from a long time ago that I did a search on, but very few people responded to it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by nsamadi; 29th May 2008 at 03:42 AM.

Default Re: Shisedio Nombre Noir

I have a mini that I picked up at a flea market in Bordeaux last year. Unfortunately, the minis are clear glass (the larger bottle is opaque), and this means that the damascones (rosy/plummy molecule) in pretty much every mini you find have degraded over the years as damascones are amazingly sensitive to light, and the rose-plum core to the fragrance isn't there any more. My mini smells like tired Noa Noa - very eighties, pretty, floral and slightly fruity, but not the amazing buy I'd hoped it would be. (For €2, though, I'm not complaining.) I'd love to smell some from the opaque bottle.

the miniature should come with a small box too. I agree bottles exposed to light will be deterioted over time.
    I own a miniature and the EDP 60ML bottle both in box and they 're perfect.
    although empty I also own the parfum bottle but at least I leave it on my dresser for the pleasure of my eyes everyday. I displayed it next to my Serge Lutens lipstick black box, both styles and design are similar, mat and shiny black, austere, mysterious and drawing attention.
    Nombre Noir is the most enigmatic perfume ever created, a dark austere rose in counterpoint of a semi-ripe plum sensuality and the osmanthus sweetness.
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

Ah - that makes good sense. I've never seen one of the minis with a box - I suppose it's the bit that's most likely to have been thrown away back in the 1980s!

Does anyone here remember the Basenoter who posted photos of an entire bottom drawer FULL of Nombre Noir minis?

And, how fabulous is this scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Does anyone here remember the Basenoter who posted photos of an entire bottom drawer FULL of Nombre Noir minis?

And, how fabulous is this scent?
    That was basenoter Griff. Here's the photos:

http://community.basenotes.net/showp...&postcount=312

I haven't tried it, but it's regarded one of the best perfumes ever.

Thank you nsamadi!
    I haven't tried it either but my curiosity has been roused after reading Burr's "Emperor of Scent".
    Griff has an unbelievable collection indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Thank you nsamadi!
    I haven't tried it either but my curiosity has been roused after reading Burr's "Emperor of Scent".
    Griff has an unbelievable collection indeed!

He got those minis from me. There were 30 of them that I acquired through an incredible stroke of luck. It is a great scent which I wore a few times but I didn't love it enough to justify keeping it. A lot of the hype comes from Luca Turin though it is deserved. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 but is definitely worth trying.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Blog Entries

azsmells - Would love to hear more about your "incredible stroke of luck"! Wish I had that kind of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    azsmells - Would love to hear more about your "incredible stroke of luck"! Wish I had that kind of luck!
    kopah my incredible stroke of luck was finding a Shiseido wholesaler who for some reason had a box of 30 minis sitting in their warehouse. Not knowing their value they sold them to me for $3.50 each.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    kopah my incredible stroke of luck was finding a Shiseido wholesaler who for some reason had a box of 30 minis sitting in their warehouse. Not knowing their value they sold them to me for $3.50 each.
    If you don't mind, can you tell me the location/phone of this wholeseller? I am local from Delaware area.
    I know I can't get NN anymore probably, but It'll be nice to know about them.

hi everyone

does anyone know anything about a nombre noir bottle which looks a bit different from the typical flat, octagonal black glass bottles?
    the bottle looks like an octagonal 60ml "stick" made with either black glass or metal. same box design though.

so far i only know the typical boxes/bottles as described here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christof79/3784599122/

thanks!

Does anybody knows fragrances that are similar to Nombre Noire? I enjoyed a lot wearing my 5ml pure parfum spray, but i see it`ll end sometimes and I`d like something similar to replace it when it`s gone...

the bottle looks like an octagonal 60ml "stick" made with either black glass or metal. same box design though.

so far i only know the typical boxes/bottles as described here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christof79/3784599122/
    I must be a different concentration, never seen this one before.

The box design recalls L'eau Serge Lutens

That little black "stick" flacon is used for a 5ml parfum purse spray. Rickbr (above) has one in his collection Ricks box differs a little though, in that it is wider and also contains a black drawstring pouch.

I havent seen one in 60ml volume though.

Ohh God everytime i see Nombre Noir I go crazy I've been wanting to smell this for sooo longgg.

Hey y'all. I've been away from BN and all of the other boards I use to visit. God's love using radiation 'deleted' the small bile duct tumor I had. The last PT scan showed no cells or mass.

I still have my colognes and use one of them daily but I've added no new ones in a couple of years.

I just finished reading a great novel(Buried Secrets by Joseph Finder; published in 2011) and in it, the main character gets a bottle of NN from Dubai for his sweetheart. I Googled NN just to read about it and sure enough, this BN thread showed up. The author then goes on to explain why it became discontinued. I trust his account as I Googled 4 or 5 things(guns and a knife) that showed up in his story and they were all real and as he described them so this info should be accurate too even though this is novel.

Here is his verbatim account found on pg. 381:

"Diana once explained to me that Nombre Noir was one of the greatest perfumes ever created. But it was impossible to find now. Apparently the company that made it ended up losing money on each bottle. Then the European Union, in its infinite wisdom, decided to ban one of its main ingredients, damascone, because it causes sun sensitivity in some tiny percentage of people. The company recalled every bottle that they could and then destroyed each one by rolling a steam roller over them.

Hope this is interesting to y'all.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post
    Hey y'all. I've been away from BN and all of the other boards I use to visit. God's love using radiation 'deleted' the small bile duct tumor I had. The last PT scan showed no cells or mass.

I still have my colognes and use one of them daily but I've added no new ones in a couple of years.

I just finished reading a great novel(Buried Secrets by Joseph Finder; published in 2011) and in it, the main character gets a bottle of NN from Dubai for his sweetheart. I Googled NN just to read about it and sure enough, this BN thread showed up. The author then goes on to explain why it became discontinued. I trust his account as I Googled 4 or 5 things(guns and a knife) that showed up in his story and they were all real and as he described them so this info should be accurate too even though this is novel.

"Diana once explained to me that Nombre Noir was one of the greatest perfumes ever created. But it was impossible to find now. Apparently the company that made it ended up losing money on each bottle. Then the European Union, in its infinite wisdom, decided to ban one of its main ingredients, damascone, because it causes sun sensitivity in some tiny percentage of people. The company recalled every bottle that they could and then destroyed each one by rolling a steam roller over them.

Dan
    I wish I could find NN in Dubai. lol

for swap/sale:

This part is fiction(pg. 380):

"I don't believe it," she said, staring at the octagonal black perfume bottle. "Where did you get Nombre Noir? And a full ounce? And sealed? Are you out of your mind?"

"I meant to give it to you years ago," I said.

She reached over and gave me a kiss. "I'm almost out, too. I thought I'd never have it again. Last time I checked eBay, a half ounce of Nombre Noir was selling for more than seven hundred dollars. Where'd you get this?"

"Remember my friend the Jordanian arms dealer?"

"Samir?"

"Right. Sammy found it for me. One of his clients is a shiekh in Abu Dhabi who had a stockpile in an air-conditioned storeroom."
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post

Dan
    Good to see you back, Dan! PTL for that PT scan.

Very cool post.