Code of Conduct

Default Idole de Lubin - any impressions?

Anyone try this? The description from the Aedes website sounds very enticing...
    especially the sandalwood, saffron, leather...RUM, ORANGE PEEL.....would love to hear anyone's experience with this:

"Idole de Lubin offers a spellbinding glimpse into the fantasy world created by talented perfumer Olivia Giacobetti. Inspired by voyages from Madagascar to Java, from Zanzibar to the Spice Islands, it is a smoldering composition conveying the exhilarating sense of discovery and the intoxicating beauty of the tropics. The fragrance unfolds as a series of vignettes, from the monsoon drenched jungle to the smoky incense of a sacrificial offering. The complex woody base of ebony, mahogany, red sandalwood and doum palm supports the opulent heart of saffton and leather. Bitter orange peel and rum absolute lend an effervescent element to this striking fragrance."
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Thumbs up Re: Idole de Lubin - any impressions?

I tried it this weekend at Aedes. First of all, the beautiful bottle - a tribal/Art Deco masterwork. The African mask cap is ingenious. This one will surely be a collectors item. As far as the juice goes, it is a very well blended, spice and fruit loaded oriental. But unlike the Lutens school it isn't "syrupy" in any way. Olivia Giacobetti is really racking up some wonderful creations, Tea for Two, Costes, Dzing and now Idole de Lubin. The price is quite reasonable, $89 for 2.5 oz., considering the quality and care that went in to the finished product. I'm going to buy this one soon.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 23rd April 2007 at 04:31 AM. Reason: capriciousness!

Default Re: Idole de Lubin - any impressions?

I happen to enjoy this scent, the only rum scent in fact that I enjoy. The scent is dark, but in a warm, cozy yet mysterious kind of way.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Off-Scenter

Thumbs up Re: Idole de Lubin - any impressions?

A personal favorite of mine. A very deep and complex leather/oriental, Idole is rich almost beyond description, with a long, intricate development that never gets overly sweet. Amber, smoke, burning spices and leather dominate the fragrance on me. Beyond that, I'm not even going to try describing the notes. You'd never guess (except by its quality,) that this was made by Olivia Giacobetti - the perfumer who brought us Philosykos and En Passant!

The mood is dark, sexy, and very exotic. Not for summer, and probably not for the office, either. If you like Ambre Sultan, Arabie, Chergui, Cuir Ottoman, Tabac Blond, or Musc Ravageur, try Idole.

Come to think of it, try Idole anyway.

I own this and wore it today for the second time. I didn't have any firm conclusions after the first wearing. I have a better handle on it now, but it's something I'll have to wear a few more times before really understanding it.

Basically I agree with what the previous respondents have said. I do like it very much. The bottle is indeed a very attractive one ;-)

It isn't a strong fragrance on me. I have to spray a few more times than usual for it to have noticeable presence. To me it is a complex and rich scent, but not a strong or heavy one. It seems translucent and shimmering rather than opaque and thick. It mostly reminds me of a sophisticated bay rum, especially in the earlier stages.

The rum is especially noticeable at first, as is the smokey note, but these settle down fairly quickly. I don't mean to imply that they seem out of place or unbalanced, which they aren't, but just that they take center stage. The opening isn't biting, but is strong yet somehow mellow at the same time. To me its all rounded edges, nothing sharp.

As it dries down it becomes a bit woodier and very slightly leathery, with a faint hint of the rum and smoke. It is soft but only a tiny bit powdery. It is sweet, but with a light, teasing sweetness. I can still faintly smell it now, 10 hours after application.

There's something about this that makes me want to drink it ;-)

noggs

Yes, Noggs! You described it exactly. For me this isn't a strong scent at all. It stays very, very close to the skin with low sillage. It's not as heavy or strong as some here describe but I find that it is...pleasant. I don't think it's earth-shatteringly brilliant but it is nice. You would think after reading the list of ingredients that it would virtually explode from the bottle and grab you around the throat...nope. Olivia Giacobetti designed this and like her orther creations, it is very transparent (nothing thick and dark about this at all!!!). I have to spray several times more than I normally would just to be sure it will last. I find that on me it hangs around for 4 or 5 hours. Sillage, as I said, is low. Once the orange is gone you are left with lots of base notes. I don't get lots of spices either, just some rum and wood and incense.

If you think you might like this, I would suggest you try her truly brilliant creation, Tea For Two!

Post Re: Idole de Lubin - any impressions?

Idole de Lubin was a slight letdown for me. Paintrman is spot on in his post, it's quiet and subtle scent; this is a good thing in my books, but the fact that it is very flat and one dimensional on my skin is not. This might be a skin chemistry issue, but my experience is, that it is an average scent.

Basenotes Institution

Reminded me awfully a lot of Gucci Pour Homme / Comme de Garcons 2 Man - in a good way.

I thought it smelled like single malt scotch - not rum. Nice boozy notes and a little smoky but not too much incense, atleast not on me.

Something I would wear if I was in Colorado in a ski lodge, with a flannel shirt on and a fireplace going.

Most people are commenting that this scent is better suited for cooler weather. Ideally, yes, but don't dismiss it entirely for summer wear.

I'm in the Middle East ,and while the temperatures aren't anywhere close to how high they'll be in a couple of months, it's still hot ;-)

Idole de Lubin worked fine for me today. I didn't find it too heavy or too sweet or too strong. For me it worked well in the heat. I enjoyed it. But I'm an old guy used to wearing heavier fragrances anyway, so wearing something like this is a piece of cake ;-) But seriously, it's light enough in feel to warrant a try in warmer weather.

And BTW, I wore it to the office with no problems :-)

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 23rd April 2007 at 03:45 PM.

IdL is one of my favorites also. I won't try to add my own description because the others in this thread are right on target. I just want to add that it is a little low on projection/sillage so I too go a little heavy on the sprays.

Noggs, I agree that it can also work in warm weather. I've had no problem wearing it in 70 and low/mid 80 degree weather without it getting cloying. As opposed to something like Egoiste or Visit which are clearly cooler weather scents.

I agree that for me this is definitely a warm weather scent. In cold weather it gets lost. I don't smell it after just a short while unless I sniff my wrist. However, in warm weather...it truly blossoms. The heat lets it drift up to you nose and you get whiffs of it for hours. I would say the same thing for YSL's M7. These are much better in the heat.

I like all the scents Vibert listed - it's likely I'll enjoy this.
    Tea for Two I have not been able to warm up to ...a bit too sweet for me.
    En Passant , I love. definitely has a transparent quality to it.
    Painterman, I was at your website last night and enjoyed your colorful work.
    The Sacred Bird series is intriguing, even for a decidedly EX Catholic.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Cool Re: Idole de Lubin - any impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Idole de Lubin was a slight letdown for me. Paintrman is spot on in his post, it's quiet and subtle scent; this is a good thing in my books, but the fact that it is very flat and one dimensional on my skin is not. This might be a skin chemistry issue, but my experience is, that it is an average scent.
    Interesting. I find the rum accord magnificent in the opening stage but then it does get to be a bit " perfumy " on my skin, as it does not morph over time. Maybe it's body chemistry but for me, Idole stays rather linear.

Btw, has anyone noticed a similarity between Idole and C&S's Cuba ?
    Yes I know it's a strange question, as the notes are not at all the same, but still . . .?

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 24th April 2007 at 05:03 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

rtamara41, I am totally a heathen! However, being raised Catholic, I can't get away from some of the themes of my childhood. In my own way, I am poking fun. Thanks for commenting.

I'm going to be "the odd one out" here. I haven't used it in months but from what I remember, it had plenty of sillage and longevity and this was in the colder months and at the office(before I retired). It is a 'strange' frag with all the mixtures of its notes but "strange" in a good way. I like it and you will not find someone else in your crowd that has it on too.

As has been said, the bottle is different and a keeper.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I'm wearing it right now, it's my SOTD, it's my third wearing of a sample from aedes. That being said, this isn't for me. For the first couple of hours the run scent is for me, overpowering. If you got pulled over after a couple of sprays, there would be a field sobriety test. This is what a pirate in the 16th century might smell like. Once it mellows down, it is really nice, but still not for me. Aedes has a nice sample spray thats worth a try.

Talking Re: Idole de Lubin - any impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Monkey View Post
    I'm wearing it right now, it's my SOTD, it's my third wearing of a sample from aedes. That being said, this isn't for me. For the first couple of hours the run scent is for me, overpowering. If you got pulled over after a couple of sprays, there would be a field sobriety test. This is what a pirate in the 16th century might smell like. Once it mellows down, it is really nice, but still not for me. Aedes has a nice sample spray thats worth a try.
    LMAO !!
    Yes, Rum Absolute is a wee bit on the strong side, isn't it?
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I got a free sample of this--from Lucky Scent, I think--so this week, first I did a wrist test, and the next day I did a full test. I did like the scent a lot. I really got the rum/sugar cane thing, plus maybe some spice (the black cumin?) and some wood, apparently the red sandalwood, though the wood was just in the background. It also smelled a little like rosewood, if you've ever smelled that--like a sweet red wood--maybe that's the red sandalwood. About the rummy sweetness, it was not as pronounced or sweet as I found in Lacoste pour Homme, which I found to have a sweet maple syrup-type thing going on.

But I experienced only average projection for about 2 hours, and then after that, both times, it petered out. So, I think it's a unique and enjoyable scent, but didn't last long enough for me to want to buy it.
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 27th October 2007 at 08:59 PM.

Very good indeed, and is on my wish list. I find it reminds me of Noir Epices, but with rum.

I couldn't get anything out of this scent. Too weak and no sillage.That's just me. I don't care for close to the skin stuff. When I want my rum boozy scent, give me Le Dandy everytime.