Code of Conduct

Default Caron Pour Un Homme

I wore Caron Pour Un Homme today for the first time in over 10 years. I bought a 3.3.oz bottle of EDT spray yesterday at Madison Avenue Cosmetics for $19.99.

I really enjoyed wearing it again. It is such a calm, great smelling, traditional gentleman's scent. It's moved to number two on my list behind my favorite fragrance, Habit Rouge, which is interesting sicne it replaced habit Rouge for me in the late 80's.

If anyone is thinking about buying it, go for it!

Any other opinions on it?

Default Re: Caron Pour Un Homme

I love this stuff. Such a refreshing and elegant mixture of vanilla and lavender. Great for warm and cool weather, but for some odd reason, its a night only scent for me.

Lovely and dignified scent, but too weak and non-lasting for me.

Post Thanks / Like

It contains cartloads of vanilla and is, therefore, very cloying to me. It is the only fragrance
    I dislike.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    Lovely and dignified scent, but too weak and non-lasting for me.
    I'm very lucky - it is strong and very long lasting for me. I sprayed it on at 8:00am, and when I got home at 8:30pm it was still there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love PuH, it's very cuddly and huggable. [smiley=happy.gif] [smiley=kiss.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

This is one scent I thought was pretty bad when I tested it on my wrist. I was wondering what had possessed the Basenoters who had been praising it.

But some time later I bought a bottle dead cheap. I couldn't believe how much better it was in the wearing.

So do not be put off if you don't like it the first time you sample it.
    Renato

I like everything Caron does for men but PUH ...gack! [smiley=shocked.gif]

The stuff is horrible to me. I think it stems from the overload of lavender in the scent then it become the most nasious vanilla thrown in to send me hurling. I am not joking I actually get very sick around this scent.

Nope its not my kind of scent. I do give it respect for being a classic mover in the men's fragrance world. I never want to be around it though...

Serpent

I hated Pour un Homme so much when I first got my bottle. I really thought I had been pranked or something; nothing as seemingly foul as that could be a great classic fragrance. But I decided to try to wear it, and total revulsion quickly turned to complete adoration. After Kingdom, Pour un Homme is my most worn fragrance, and I will never, ever be without it. To me, it's not at all too sweet. I'm very sensitive to overly sweet fragrances, especially as vanilla usually turns to a straight sugar bomb on me. But by pairing it with such strong, astringent, bitter lavender, the polar opposite nature of both notes are enhanced and complimented. I think the vanilla and amber in Pour un Homme seem so sweet to many mainly because it stands in opposition to the strongly bitter notes of lavender and clary sage with nothing in between to temper it; the extreme contrast makes the vanilla seem much sweeter than it actually is.

What begins rather gruff and rough - Pour un Homme has a wonderfully unfinished texture to it, almost like burlap - finishes quite smooth and powdery. It's the smell of a well-groomed man, which is not the same as today's scents, which are the smell of a hygienic man. A hygienic man wants his smell to be inconspicuous, to seem somehow natural. A well-groomed man wants his scent to call attention to itself, to let itself be known. He wants people to know he is wearing scent, that he has gone to effort to choose his scent, and the sort of scent he wears has a thickness and weight not common today, exemplified by powdery notes. They share much in common with the powdery well-groomed woman scents of the time, embodied by No. 5 especially, which likely explains why men's scents largely veered away from powdery notes after the 1930s. Pour un Homme, Zizanie, and Mouchoir de Monsieur are perhaps the best examples of these well-groomed man scents, with Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne and the Dior Homme colognes being latter-day postmodern renditions of the same concept.

Post Thanks / Like

Serp, I never knew that you had fallen for this scent. You see, I was right after all when I said it was great..LOL.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Serpent

I was able to start enjoying Pour un Homme even before leaving PoL, and my affection for it has only grown. Anyone who is impressed by the Dior Homme colognes really should get his hands on Pour un Homme; Hedi Slimane and his perfumers definitely had their noses in a bottle of this when they set about creating their overpriced, overwatered trio. Eau Noire is essentially a straight crib of Pour un Homme with the vanilla turned down and a bit of wood added. (Of course, even the venerable Égoïste owes a debt compositionally to Pour un Homme.)

Pour un Homme really was a shock to my nose when I got it. It goes so against the grain of contemporary perfumery, so I'm never surprised when people are reviled by it initially. Lord knows I was. But yes, I adore it. It's one of the very few men's fragrances I'd consider utterly indispensable.

From Imagination Perfumery:

POUR UN HOMME
    By CARON
    YEAR INTRODUCED - 1934
    Pour un Homme is a“soliflore” of lavender with a powdery end note, much appreciated by men yesterday and today. The perfume has been associated with the act of shaving. The English prefer lavender whereas Latins have traditionally preferred citrus notes.
    A soliflore is a composition built around one note, in this case lavender, the queen of fragrances for a whole generation of men. Pour un Homme combines the aromatic freshness of lavender with the refined warmth of vanilla, giving the fragrance an original contrast of subtle and elegant freshness with a lingering scent.

FRAGRANCE NOTES - Lavender, Rosemary, Bergamot, Lemon, Clary sage, Rose, Rosewood, Cedarwood, Vanilla, Tonka, Moss, Musk.

MJH

Serp,
    I knew you had revised your opinion of PuH, but I think this is the first time you've explained your about-face. You make the most important point (IMO): "I decided to try to wear it...". Thank you for that.

I think it's one of the most important point we can ever make about judging and discussing scents: don't make a final decision unless/until you've actually worn a scent, at least for a few hours. Most of the scents that I consider great scents haven't made much of a first impression on me. Every now and then, I find a scent that compels me to return and wear it, again and again: that's when I know I'm hooked.

I bought Caron PuH quite inexpensively when I decided to explore Caron's fragrances. I honestly thought I must have gotten a bad bottle: I felt it was boring, flat, unexceptional. I grow lavender, and I know that real lavender doesn't smell like those "old lady powders" and air fresheners from my childhood. PuH wasn't awful or off-putting to me: just sort of pointless. I wore it a couple of times and was unimpressed. Then a friend of mine on another board shared a story of an older French male acquaintance. He told her how he and his brothers used to dab their handkerchiefs in a little fingerbowl of Caron PuH before going out for the evening. The image (I started imagining Alain Delon in Plein Soleil) forced me to re-visit it under different circumstances. I only wore a couple of strong spritzes, but I was amazed at how it 'bloomed' over a couple of hours over a summer evening: so different from my first impressions wearing it to my air-conditioned office. Body heat brings out a mellow, amber-y quality that I don't think is detectable at first whiff. That's why it's so cuddly and huggable. [smiley=wink.gif] My ex and several female friends agree.

I bought my first bottle of Caron Pour Un Homme in the late 80's (or maybe 1990) and loved wearing it. Then after about a year and a half to two years, I started disliking some kind of an offensice note about it.

Recently, when I sampled it again a few days back (I bought it the next day), I noticed that it didn't have an offensive note at all and it was how I remembered it when I liked it.

In the past, I didn't know a fragrance can go bad. Evidently, that's what happened.

Of course, everyone has his own taste in fragrances, but I'm wondering if Caron Pour Un Homme has a tendency to go bad and some people who don't like it at all got a bad bottle.

Smile Re: Caron Pour Un Homme

I'm really getting the rose in this fragrance today! It's surprising because usually I notice the lavendar and the vanilla and nothing more.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore PuH earlier this week and was once again blown away. It is incredible. Like many others I thought it to be hideous at first (I bought it blind). Luckily I was stuck with the bottle. It is fantastic.

I just picked this up...
    6.7oz EDT spray and 1oz EDP....
    I didn't even know there was an EDP ???
    Has anyone tried it? Is it NEW?

www.imaginationperfumery.com

POUR UN HOMME DE CARON GIFT SET Set: 6.7oz Eau De
    Toilette Spray + 1oz Eau De Parfum Spray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post
    I wore Caron Pour Un Homme today for the first time in over 10 years. I bought a 3.3.oz bottle of EDT spray yesterday at Madison Avenue Cosmetics for $19.99.

I really enjoyed wearing it again. It is such a calm, great smelling, traditional gentleman's scent. It's moved to number two on my list behind my favorite fragrance, Habit Rouge, which is interesting sicne it replaced habit Rouge for me in the late 80's.

If anyone is thinking about buying it, go for it!

Any other opinions on it?
    I've never tried in since it doesn't seem to be here in Moscow.
    Which famous scents could you compare it it?

Possibly, to some that I have in my wardrobe.

The frags I can think of that come closest to PuH are Jicky, Geir and Roger & Gallet - Lavande Imperiale. PuH is very much a fougere, and has lots of lavender. Simply put, if you do not like lavender do not get this frag.

I had my wife wear PuH once and the lavender was pretty noticeable. When I wear PuH, I notice more of the vanilla and the "Playdoh" note.

My preference lies with R&G - Lavande Imperiale over PuH. The frag overall is very subtle but no "Playdoh" note and the vanilla just lingers in the background. Very alpine, the way a fougere (IMHO) should be.
    K
    Last edited by MisterK; 18th April 2007 at 05:39 PM.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

To me, the essential elements to be reckoned with in this classic fragrance
    are lavender and powder. The lavender is of exquisite quality and significant
    force. If you don't like lavender, don't buy Pour Un Homme.

The powder presents itself in the drydown, and it cannot be ignored. This is
    the thing that made it hard for me to accept this fragrance in the beginning,
    but the more I've worn it the more I have grown to enjoy the powder drydown.
    Just be sure not to over-apply.

I think this fragrance is of very high quality, and I wish that so many of the
    newer "me too" releases on the market today would take a lesson from the
    philosophy offered here by the house of Caron: Make few fragrances, blend them
    well, keep them available for decades, and trust that quality will be recognized
    over time.

You can certainly do worse than Caron Pour Un Homme.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 18th April 2007 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

To me, the essential elements to be reckoned with in this classic fragrance
    are lavender and powder. The lavender is of exquisite quality and significant
    force. If you don't like lavender, don't buy Pour Un Homee.

The powder presents itself in the drydown, and it cannot be ignored. This is
    the thing that made it hard for me to accept this fragrance in the beginning,
    but the more I more it the more I have grown to enjoy the powder drydown.
    Just be sure not to over-apply.

I think this fragrance is of very high quality, and I wish that so many of the
    newer "me too" releases on the market today would take a lesson from the
    philosophy offered here by the house of Caron: Make few fragrances, blend them
    well, keep them available for decades, and trust that quality will be recognized
    over time.

You can certainly do worse than Caron Pour Un Homme.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a question from someone that has never tried Pour un homme: Is the lavender similar to the one present in Alfred Sung pour homme?

And one more: Is Caron in any way similar to Habit Rouge (that sour cloudy of powder)?

Smile Re: Caron Pour Un Homme

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs View Post
    Just a question from someone that has never tried Pour un homme: Is the lavender similar to the one present in Alfred Sung pour homme?

And one more: Is Caron in any way similar to Habit Rouge (that sour cloudy of powder)?
    I don't know Alfred Sung PH, but Caron PuH is not similiar to Habit Rouge. Habit Rouge is a woody oriental. A modern equivalent to PuH might be something like Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

Sung Homme is very spicy and woody.
    PuH is almost pure lavender. Smooth creamy lavender with vanilla and tobacco.
    I'd say they have nothing in common.
    To me, Sung Homme is dominated by the spices and woods. The florals just add some freshness.
    PuH is dominated by the lavender.

Hope this helps!
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Caron Pour Un Homme

I'm new to fragrance but I can't stand this stuff. Way to medicinal to suit my tastes.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to hate the stuff. Sniffed it at counters just to make all the other smells smell better. Kind of a wipe out the nose for the good stuff use.

Then it hit me. Amazing stuff and I love it. I don't know why it turned on me, but it did. Now it's what I use to make friends understand the smell of lavender.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

How would one compare Un Homme to Royal Scottish Lavender by Creed?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know Shalimar too well, but I found Caron PuH is similar to Shalimar in the opening

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post
    I dont know Shalimar too well, but I found Caron PuH is similar to Shalimar in the opening
    That's funny! My first encounter with PuH was with with a girlfriend of mine, smelling really great - I asked her "are you wearing Shalimar?" - and it turned out to be Pour Un Homme. I didn't know it before and don't know how it would smell on a guy, but on her it was just adorable. It is big on lavender, but it certainly has that Bergamot/Vanilla combination that is very prominent with the old Guerlains.

Post Thanks / Like

I would never have thought of Sung Homme in connection with Caron Pour Un Homme,
    so I think the answer is no.

Regarding PuH with respect to Habit Rouge, I'd say that PuH is much smoother.
    There is a certain discord in Habit Rouge -- vetiver and leather clashing, I guess --
    that provides its fundamental accord (discord?). HR is a fine scent, but not really
    very similar to PuH.

Wow! Sung Homme is a powerhouse scent. I don't find any of these others quite
    like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody for the replies!
    I've just ordered a Caron puh's decant and as soon as possible, I'll let you know my impressions!

I am wearing this today...
    first 5 minutes are pretty good...then....BLAM....dirty wet towel....????
    What happened....then....after 30 minutes....soft and smooth lavender vanillic tones....pretty nice.

But those damn minutes 5-30...WOW...what the hell is that?
    Anyone else have this response?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22 View Post
    RSL is the closest I know to CPUH. The structure is similar. Caron has a bit of "dirt" in it (in a good way), especially later in its development, the lavender is not quite as fresh and the vanilla is more synthetic smelling. RSL has a "cleaner" vibe throughout with very high quality natural smelling lavender and vanilla notes. It is a bit purer, I would say that CPH is sexier.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Royal Scottish Lavender is more complex scent,personally i hate the lavender top notes but i think RSL is more interesting,you can ask Tom(the good life)about the RSL.
    I am sure that Caron reformulated the pour homme,the vintage was far better,you can recognize the vintage from the bottle with the black cap, the juice color(the new is green).
    Also the old formulation came in differents sizes(50ml,100ml).

Giannis
    Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22 View Post
    Last edited by giannis; 24th April 2007 at 03:05 PM.