Code of Conduct

Default San Antone Sniffing (Creed, GPH2, TdH, etc.)

Back from the clinical rotations down in San Antonio (It's looking possible that I'll end up with a job down there at Methodist, which would be spectacular career-wise). First chance I've had to go to an actual big city rather than 'town', or 'village'. (Midland hardly counted, IMO.)

So, I went cruising through N.M.'s, Sephora, Saks, Macy's, and Perfumania as well as much larger variants of Dillards and so forth. Most people were surprisingly friendly... As a mesquite scrub redneck myself, I tend to live a life of hearing how downright hostile them city persons are. *laugh*

In any event... Got to do a Grand Creed Review and found myself fairly surprised by the initial conclusions.

My two favorites of those sniffed weren't even on my list; Acier Aluminium and Royal Water. I asked for samples of either, but they didn't have any left so I was given a handful of consolation samples (GIT, MI, SMW...) I did like SMW, and my girlfriend seems to want to steal my sample of MI. I was underwhelmed by GIT -- Probably because it had a very similar accord to Green Valley, which I own. All I could really smell was a toned-down version of GV.

Bois du Portugal also surprised me in a negative way. Not that I didn't like the scent, it was just unfortunately one of those scents that I'm not able to detect very well. (I think there must be fairly unequal distribution of olfactory chemoreceptors... Since my left-side anosmia, some -types- of scents are much sharper and easier to pick out while others are blunted and faint.)

Sephora brought me Terre d'Hermes. Got a smallish sample, and I quite like the scent -- Rather unique, and I don't have anything to strongly compare it to. Wasn't much impressed with Eau Sauvage. Also, I finally 'Got' Kouros. With a nice distance given to the spritz, it's actually quite excellent on the skin. (I returned home with a Kouros sample. Reunited with the girlfriend to an 'Oh, WOW what are you wearing?' pouncing. When I told her, there was shock, followed by surprised and somewhat saddened admission that Kouros 'Did It' for her. *laugh*)

All sorts of things smelled at Perfumania. They had a deal on Bijan scents, and I was tempted by Style 'til I figured out what the drydown reminded me of; It's that dryly patchouli semi-rough 'Quorum' drydown I'm so fond of. Bowling Green was sampled, and... well, it's nice but not overly different from of the citrisy woodsy stuff I already have. (Balmain comes to mind)

Guess my trip fave was probably Royal Water -- Which is uncharacteristically sweet for my nose to take an interest in, but there it is.

Default Re: San Antone Sniffing (Creed, GPH2, TdH, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Travtex View Post
    All sorts of things smelled at Perfumania.
    I went to Perfumania the other day they wouldn't stop telling me about how great Paris Hilton is. "Their parent company uses higher oil contents". When I asked to smell the things I wanted (Jazz, Kenzo PH, others), I was virtually shut down and told that Paris Hilton is better. I've never had that much trouble before. I ended up walking, and I have no desire to go back. Did you ever have to get SA's to stop forcing scents on you when you were out sniffing? If so, what did you do?

Anyway, I'm glad that you had a good experience. What did you think of Acier Aluminum? I've never had the opportunity to try it.

I'm wearing TdH today. It's my biggest roller coaster fragrance. Sometimes I love it, and sometimes it smells like lemon Cascade dishwasher soap. Today is a Cascade day
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

"I went to Perfumania the other day they wouldn't stop telling me about how great Paris Hilton is. "Their parent company uses higher oil contents". When I asked to smell the things I wanted (Jazz, Kenzo PH, others), I was virtually shut down and told that Paris Hilton is better. I've never had that much trouble before. I ended up walking, and I have no desire to go back. Did you ever have to get SA's to stop forcing scents on you when you were out sniffing? If so, what did you do?"

The Perfumania woman was a bit disdainful that my preferences were so "Old-Style", but even though she'd sneak in the occasional AdGio to try and win me over, I wasn't butting heads at any point. (Then again, I'm fairly hard-headed and do-what-I-damn-well-want in the assertive department, so I occasionally fail to notice when someone is subtly attempting to redirect me. *laugh*)

The only flat-out BAD SAs were at... I believe it was Macy's. Both SA's I interacted with thought the sole selling point of a fragrance was how 'new' it was. Ooooh, this one's even MORE newer!! I immediately proceeded to meander to the other side of the counter and ask to sample the Givenchy Gentleman bottle hidden on the back rack. *heh* (Powerful stuff once that civet (I'm guessing?) settles down.)

"Anyway, I'm glad that you had a good experience. What did you think of Acier Aluminum?"

I -really- liked it, and I think a good portion of the appeal was that it was distinctive. I love the Creed 'house notes', but oft times that results in some frags having indistinct shared moments to my nose. On the testing cards, at least, it whupped all of the other Creeds in the longevity department. Spicy, a little sour citrus, amber/vanilla base. I'd love to be able to find a decant of this stuff, but I'll probably end up having to wait 'til I get settled into where I end up post-graduation.

"I'm wearing TdH today. It's my biggest roller coaster fragrance. Sometimes I love it, and sometimes it smells like lemon Cascade dishwasher soap. Today is a Cascade day"

I was skin-testing TdH when I went by Saks. I was proving very fond of Royal Water, and since they didn't have any samples available the SAs were encouraging me to just spritz myself down for a skin test. Thinking, "What the hell?", I layered RW over TdH. The RW dominated for a bit, then the somewhat more stalwart TdH started poking his head through and... Whoah. Awesome accidental layering combo. *heh*

Speaking of roller coaster frags: Balmain: Some days it's Gucci PH's more lemony brother, other days it's just flat out Lemon Pledge Furniture Polish.

Your nose is spot on. Green Valley does share a heavy violet leaves note with GIT.

I also agree on Acier Aluminum - its a superb scent and I prefer it to the highly regarded BdP.

Royal Water is quite refreshing, but it can be a bit sweet if sprayed heavily. A light spraying reveals a delicate minty fruity herbal accord which works wonderfully in hot weather but use more than 4 sprays and it will feel like a fruit punch shower.
    Last edited by zztopp; 23rd April 2007 at 10:36 PM.
    -

Great reviews and stories, Trav. I like the Kouros part especially. Sorry to hear the BdP test didn't work out. I'm not surprised that there weren't samples of Acier or Royal Water handy--I think those are lesser ones on the Creed journey and that the recent MI, SMWl, GIT, and MI brothers rule the house's outreach.

I'll have to hit some of my local Perfumanias. That's where they had $10 bottles of One Man Show and Ted Lapidus a couple years ago. I've also meant to get a bottle of The Baron there. Fun stuff when you find the old ones that are now weird ones there.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Perfumania seems to have particular scents they push at any given time.
    It seems like every time I've gone in there they are pushing one of the Perry Ellis
    fragrances. They're alright, but nothing exciting. And yes, the Paris Hilton fragrances
    are prominently displayed.

The SA has always let me sample the fragrances I wish, but I have to have her
    spray them (generally on paper). Perfumania has problems with people stealing the
    testers, which is why they keep them mostly behind the counter, I think.

Basenotes Institution

You've inspired me to try the Royal Water sample I have at home that I keep skipping over...

Also give Terre d'Hermes a spritz next time you're going to spend some time outdoors - this is where it really blossoms as a scent and I think you'll see what all of us ThH lovers are talking about.