Code of Conduct

Default Rose Recommendation Please

Hi all-I'm looking for a rose perfume to wear--there are so many out there, so I'll try to explain--I'd like it to have a true rose scent, but intense, but still very feminine. I don't care for it to have citrus, or a "fresh" or "clean" scent--I'd like it to be very heady and lush, but still undeniably rose. I like the idea of old-fashioned rose potpourri, with the spices and salt--I'm thinking maybe something like that. The spices kind of intensify the rose, but in my idealised potpourri of memory, it's still very much rose and very feminine. I really like violet, but in this case I'd want the rose to take center stage.

Any suggestions, does anyone have an idea what I mean? I don't think I explained very well.

Default Re: Rose Recommendation Please

YSL Paris - the original, not the limited edition Spring one, might suit.

or Jo malone red roses?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

mmmmmm

Stella?
    Paris?
    Ormonde Jayne Ta'If?
    L'Artisan Voleur des Rose (I may have that name wrong)

wildcards - Kingdom has a nice dirty rose thing going, and Malle's Lipstick Rose is cute and very feminine in a 50s sweater girl way.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens - I just sniffed this yesterday and it resembles a rose so realistically. It is a very natural scent (perhaps this might be interpreted as 'fresh') but in about an hour it gets warm & spicy.

Another great rose scent is Paris by Yves St. Laurent - but be warned, it turns powdery, so you gotta like powdery drydowns.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there Parma and welcome to Basenotes!
    Have a look at the Parfums de Rosine website. I think you'll
    find one there that suits you.
    I would also recommend :
    Santa Maria Novella Rose.
    Fleur de The Rose Bulgare.
    Sa Majeste La Rose.
    YSL Paris.
    Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes, Parma!

Second the Jo Malone Red Roses - it's exactly what it sounds like you're looking for!

Also, Les Parfums de Rosine Poussiere de Rose - it smells just like rose pot pourri.
    Last edited by Tovah; 24th April 2007 at 04:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parma View Post
    I'd like it to have a true rose scent, but intense, but still very feminine. I don't care for it to have citrus, or a "fresh" or "clean" scent--I'd like it to be very heady and lush, but still undeniably rose. I like the idea of old-fashioned rose potpourri, with the spices and salt--I'm thinking maybe something like that. The spices kind of intensify the rose, but in my idealised potpourri of memory, it's still very much rose and very feminine. I really like violet, but in this case I'd want the rose to take center stage.

Any suggestions, does anyone have an idea what I mean? I don't think I explained very well.
    From your stated preferences I would like to recommend / suggest the following:

Ava Luxe Incense Rose
    Ava Luxe Bohemian Rose
    Ava Luxe Queen Bess - spicy, warm rose / cinnamon (potpourri) combo
    Ava Luxe Rasa - rose dominated sexy animalic musk
    Guerlain Nahema (EDP / parfum) - a lush fruity heady velvety rose
    Yves Rocher Secret d'Essence Rose Absolue (parfum)
    Yves Saint Laurent Paris (EDP)
    Nemat Nubian Musk - rose dominated musk
    Caron Parfum Sacre (EDP) - spicy, velvety rose and myrrh
    Hermes Rouge - similar spicy rose / myrrh combo as Caron Parfum Sacre but less warm / vanillary
    Caron Coup de Fouet - very spicy carnation / peppery rose blend

Ava Luxe scents are available at http://www.ava-luxe.com - samples are available.
    Nemat oils are at http://www.nematfragrances.com/

Good Luck & Happy Sniffing!!
    Last edited by moondeva; 24th April 2007 at 04:58 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

This is a fragrance aimed towards men,but from your description you might like Egoiste by Chanel.It's very rosey on me,but with some warmth added from the spices in it: cinnamon and coriander.The topnotes is tangerine,but that quickly settles.

Wow, thank you all for the suggestions, I haven't heard of many of these I saw the thread on the other rose perfume today, which triggered mine , but that one sounded like it might be a bit "fresher" than what I'm mentally smelling. I will try to get samples of these--the Jo Malone Red Rose sounds promising. I've looked and looked at the Rosines line, but it's stressed so much that "this is not your grandmother's rose", that I'm afraid they won't smell really "rose-y". I don't normally mind powder, but for my rose I really want a deep dark sensuous, but still undoubtedly feiminine, rose,something that makes your head swirl, like a rose version of Opium, if you know what I mean. Thank you all for the suggestions and the welcome, off to get samples

I know I've been banging on, but Sa Majeste La Rose is the best rose fragrance I've ever put my nose to. That would be my recommendation by a mile.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

I second and third the suggestion of Sa Majeste de Rose. Deep velvety and seductive.
    and you pay for it too.
    For less expensive still deeply rose try the Perfumers Workshop tea Rose or Stella is currently up there with Sa Majeste in my rose vocabulary.
    --------------------------------------
    I forgot to add, that I love the Rosines, two are on my wish list, they are all soft and gentle and short lived on me, not what you seem to want- something voluptuous, intense and powerful. but if I am wrong, don't be put off by the not your grandmothers rose thing the rosines are so varied that you would find one you like. My favorites are Rosa Flamenca, and Zest de Rose. everyone has different favorites though.
    Last edited by Loukoumi; 24th April 2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I recently tried Jo Malone Red Roses. If you want Roses and lots of them...this could be what you are looking for. I tried only 2 or 3 drops and the scent lasted at least 10 hours. Good luck in your adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Loukoumi View Post
    I second and third the suggestion of Sa Majeste de Rose. Deep velvety and seductive.
    and you pay for it too.
    For less expensive still deeply rose try the Perfumers Workshop tea Rose or Stella is currently up there with Sa Majeste in my rose vocabulary.
    --------------------------------------
    I found the Stella rose lacking in longevity. It virtually disappeared before it had even dried on me. What remained of it was weak and powdery. Nice initial blast though. Not like roses for me, or at least, not enough. I tried the rose fragrance in Pecksniff's at the weekend, and that was pretty good. Not as 'fresh' as the SL one, but a pretty accurate rose fragrance in the more 'traditional' sense.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend Annick Goutal's Rose Absolue for the deepest, richest velvety rose. Sa Majeste is good, but not a patch on that one, IMO.

Also Caron's Parfum Sacre for a beautiful spicey, incensey rose scent; certainly old fashioned in feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You might want to revisit the Montale Roses. 'Damascus' is a smooth spicey one, my favorite. 'Queen' and 'Petals' are sweeter, closer to tea rose. 'Attar' and 'Black Oud' are very deep rose which are great for lasting enveloping richness.

Post Thanks / Like

Kumquat
    I have always been curious about the Montale Rose scents. there are several of them...Have to try them

Post Thanks / Like

Parma - I recommend Annette Neuffer's lovely range of rose perfumes. She posts here as Jazztweety and you can order samples from her website. She is always happy to throw in a few surprises, too. Try Avicenna, I think you'll like it.
    http://www.opulentals.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Parma - I recommend Annette Neuffer's lovely range of rose perfumes. She posts here as Jazztweety and you can order samples from her website. She is always happy to throw in a few surprises, too. Try Avicenna, I think you'll like it.
    http://www.opulentals.com
    Big Amen!!! And ask about Rose Absolue - the name says it all! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I must be the only person on whom the rose note in Sa Majeste de Rose lasts all of two minutes. It's beautiful, while it last, but I've never thought of this as a rose fragrance per se.

If you're talking rose fragrances, in which the rose is prominently featured, I would recommend the following as outstanding examples:

Annick Goutal Rose Absolue EDP
    Czech & Speake Dark Rose
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Czech & Speake Rose
    Diptyque Opôné
    Domemico Caraceni Pour Homme
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica
    Jo Malone Red Roses Cologne
    Montale Aoud Roses Petals EDP
    L’Occitane 4 Reines EDP
    The Perfumer’s Workshop Tea Rose

For the most authentic, complex, uncluttered long lasting soliflore rendition of a true-to-nature rose fragrance, I would say Jo Malone Red Roses is hard to beat. One realizes how impressively true to life this fragrance is when one compares it to Annick Goutal’s Rose Absolue EDP, which is made exclusively from the absolute of five different roses. Malone’s product claims the same thing; however, as Luca Turin notes in The Emperor of Scent, and he would know, Malone’s fragrance is predominantly an aroma chemical wonder, and what a wonder it is. Rose by its very nature is at the most a heart note note unless bolstered with aroma chemical constituents of rose oil and other non rose fixatives. The fact that Malone’s Red Roses last at least 14 hours on my skin and 48 hours on a blotter confirms this, but it doesn’t detract from its amazing rendition of a live rose. It's superb.

My two favorite fragrances that use natural rose and aroma chemical constituent of rose oil to great effective, though they are not soliflores, are Czech & Speake No. 88 and Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme. I think both can easily be worn by women and should be worn by women. Of course, I've never considered rose as anything else but a universal fragrance.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 25th April 2007 at 06:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Rose Recommendation Please

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    You might want to revisit the Montale Roses. 'Damascus' is a smooth spicey one, my favorite. 'Queen' and 'Petals' are sweeter, closer to tea rose. 'Attar' and 'Black Oud' are very deep rose which are great for lasting enveloping richness.
    I also have recently got some Montale frag samples - 'Queen' is one of the best. 'Black Aoud' has a real Goth Patchouli Rose feel to it. But a rose that is very close to my heart is 'Nahema' by Guerlain. Very creamy, sweet Rose, but not a 'green' rose.
    'Bvlgari Femme' & 'Bvlgari Rose Essentielle' to my nose has the 'leaves and stem' with the petals - which gives it the fresh scent. Does that make sense?

Good luck

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

"Rykiel Rose" by Sonia Rykiel is beautiful also... it is built around Bulgarian rose, and has amber, teak and sandalwood at the base to stabilize (for that spiced pot pourri effect you're looking for). Worthy of a sniff if you can find it locally.

I've just started my own 'perfect' rose hunt, and was so pleaded to find this old thread! Are there any additions to anyone's suggestions that have been released since 2007?
    At the moment Sa Majeste is defintely winning - I have already sampled Rossy de Palma and L'ombre rose original (too citronella - like for my taste which was a pity as BF loved it), Donna by Villoresi, and a slew of Rosine which just haven't managed to hit the spot.
    I'm very happy to adopt Sa Majestie, it is heavenly... But just want to try more, just in case... And of course, the quest is so delicious, who'd want it to stop?

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many amazing roses that is hard to pick just one.
    If you want a Rose made by Guerlain, i`d recommend you Nahema, Rose Barbare or Idylle Duet.
    A lovely rose oud fragrance that pleased me a lot was rose oud by killian, but it`s quite expensive.
    If you love spicy roses you should try rose 31 by le labo.
    And i`ll also recommend you my latest rose discovery, rose bohème of the indie company Providence Perfume Co. It`s a complex rose fragrance with a lot of contrasts, a rose that uses oud and saffron but doesn`t seem like the usual oud, rose and saffron combination. Also, the patchouli base is really good!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Minkymaid - welcome to Basenotes!

Here's a much more recent and comprehensive thread you should peruse -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/280...e-Perfect-Rose
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Thank you both! I'll certainly check out the list, Evangaline. My BF sings the praises of Guerlain but oddly I've not (yet!) been as captivated - I'll have to return and hunt them out Rick. the others may take bit more searching, but that will be fun I see Christmas approaching !

Looks like a weekend in Paris is needed for the Guerlain, Rick! Fortunately BF and I were discussing it only a few days ago - so it would be good to have a list of must try Guerlain that we can't get in our city store here in England. So thank you for that - maybe there is a thread on ridiculously difficult to try perfumes that you have to trek to another country to find

Amouage lyric is all about roses.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Stella +1

Lovely recommendations you have there already..I'll just give "Nahema" a quick +100,'cause it's a great spicy,green,powdery rose.
    Also:give "Rose Poivrée" by The Different Company a try(be careful,it's kind of skanky!)! Andy Tauer has a lot of interesting and heady roses too!

I don't mind skanky! Whether skanky and rose are together in my nom sandwich of rose lovely we'll see! I was amused at how horrified I was at myself when I had to admit I was drawn to Musc Ravageur. So very ... knowing. So, I dont mind being surprised by a scent - its exciting. I will therefore skank along with you all if I can. No doubt there is a thread for the exploration of the best baaaad - you - know-its-good scent?
    Last edited by Minkymaid; 3rd October 2011 at 10:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parma View Post
    Hi all-I'm looking for a rose perfume to wear--there are so many out there, so I'll try to explain--I'd like it to have a true rose scent, but intense, but still very feminine. I don't care for it to have citrus, or a "fresh" or "clean" scent--I'd like it to be very heady and lush, but still undeniably rose. I like the idea of old-fashioned rose potpourri, with the spices and salt--I'm thinking maybe something like that. The spices kind of intensify the rose, but in my idealised potpourri of memory, it's still very much rose and very feminine. I really like violet, but in this case I'd want the rose to take center stage.

I think that you did explain very well! For a beautiful spicy rose try Histoires De Parfums 1876 (Mata Hari). It is incredible, and it has that kind of spicy rose pot pourri aspect that you describe.

Ah, sorry! Just realised that this thread has been resurrected and has taken a new turn! So, if you are not working to the criteria above, try Editions Frederic Malle Une Rose!!
    Last edited by Foustie; 3rd October 2011 at 11:13 PM.

I'll will, thank you- I can see a few requests to Les Senteurs for samples coming together here. I have to see if I can smell truffles

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, and L'Artisans roses are lovely, Drole de Rose, an hommage to vintage style rose and violets, and then Voleur De Rose, a very beautiful rose with patchouli.

I know the difficulties with access, grrrrrrrr. I have been using Les Sentuers for many years. I recently picked up a tip on Basenotes about a German online store Aus Liebe Zum Duft. I have used them and I was very impressed. They have ranges that Les Senteurs dont have, they are fast and efficient, the samples are huge and they come with good quality paper spills which is great if you want to make the most of exploring a sample I think. Happy hunting. Do let us know what you discover.

I really love Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher.

Foustie, that's a great tip , thank you, I'll check them out online. My BF will appreciate it too, he's on his own hunt for delicious things that are not gourmands - but keeps succumbing to various puddings

I also want to add Tresor by Lancome. It's a pretty nice rose fragrance.