Code of Conduct

Default My Creed Erolfa dilemma

I have received two decants from different basenoters in the last couple of weeks and have a sample that I ordered from Les Senteurs a few months ago.
    Hesitating to buy a bottle after falling in love with the sample I thought I'd buy a 1/3 oz decant first and so I did.
    But the Erolfa decant that I received was clearly far far away from the fresh and uplifting sample that I had. Believe it or not but it actually smelled rotten. Anyhow, since I was ordering two more decants from another basenoter and he had Erolfa, I asked him to throw in a small sample of it and he actually sent half a decant (very kind btw). I received it and hoped that my first experience was with a bottle gone bad. But actually I was surprised that it was similiar to the other decant and not like the sample I had got from Les senteurs. While the first decant smelled spicy and rotten, and clearly had gone bad, this last decant smelled spicy and slightly less rotten, not as rotten as the first decant, but still far away from the uplifting and fresh Erolfa that I fell in love with. While it is hard to compare the difference in words, the later decants seemed to lack the very refreshing citrus note of the sample I had.
    So now I'm thinking, is it easy for a Erolfa bottle to go bad? I've bought about 5 Creed decants from basenotes members and they have all smelled like the samples except for Erolfa.

Is it just bad luck or something else? Do you smell a prominent citrus note in your Erolfa? Have you had a similiar experience?

Thank you for your replies!
    For swap:
    1. 90-95% full 2.5 oz bottle of Creed Orange Spice
    2. 99% full 1.6 oz bottle of Kenzo pour Homme
    3. 90% full 4 oz bottle of Creed Millesime Imperial

Looking for: GIT, Baie de Genièvre, Idole de Lubin, Chergui, decant of FM Carnal Flower, decant of vintage Tabarome

Default Re: My Creed Erolfa dilemma

I haven't detected much of a citrus note in Erolfa, at least from my decant and when I tried it at the store. I think of it as a sea sort of scent lacking citric elements. I like to wear this when I go to my in-laws house by the river during the summer.

Your milage may vary of course!
    Last edited by MisterK; 24th April 2007 at 05:43 PM.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
    I haven't detected much of a citrus note in Erolfa, at least from my decant and when I tried it at the store. I think of it as a sea sort of scent lacking citric elements. I like to wear this when I go to my in-laws house by the river during the summer.

Your milage may vary of course!
    That must mean something, because clearly the sample I have from Les Senteurs has a detectable and very uplifting citrus note in it but the other two decant's don't. I'm starting to think that Creed has altered the formula or maybe half of the people on basenotes who have smelled Erolfa may have smelled a bottle gone bad!!!. Disturbing
    Last edited by abg1234; 24th April 2007 at 05:52 PM.
    For swap:

Looking for: GIT, Baie de Genièvre, Idole de Lubin, Chergui, decant of FM Carnal Flower, decant of vintage Tabarome

I don't get much citrus in Erolfa either. Anything's possible - the bottle could have gone bad. You can probably trust Erolfa testers at the high end department stores if that's a good option for you.

BTW, many folks think Erolfa is the best-ever "marine scent". I'm a member of that group. It's a classic. Good luck...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    I don't get much citrus in Erolfa either. Anything's possible - the bottle could have gone bad. You can probably trust Erolfa testers at the high end department stores if that's a good option for you.

BTW, many folks think Erolfa is the best-ever "marine scent". I'm a member of that group. It's a classic. Good luck...

Mike
    Thank you for your reply,
    Of course it is a marine scent, but the first hour or so after application I can smell a citrus note, after is has dried down it is all about brine and sea air though, it smells almost like clean sweat.
    Last edited by abg1234; 24th April 2007 at 06:02 PM.
    For swap:

I don't get much of a citrus note with Erolfa either - which is why I usually layer it with Neroli Sauvage - because I like the effect of the neroli/citrus at the top of the Erolfa scent

It seems unlikely that Les Senteurs would have sent you the wrong sample, but is it possible?

I get a citrus note as the top note.

Acually on Creeds website (http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/sit...ime_fragrances) Tangerine and Bergamot are listed as notes in Erolfa, and no it is a correct sample of Erolfa that I've got, I know that because it has some similarities to the other decants.

Maz24: May I ask where you got your bottle and how old it is?
    For swap:

I have noticed a "variance" in different samples of erolfa as well. I think it belongs to a group of Creed scents that I believe to be more apt to spoilage. I will only buy these scents directly from the department store and only the freshest bottles available.

I've mentioned before that just because something is sold at the department store, that doesn't mean that it is fresh. Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, Santal Imperial, and Erolfa seem to only have a shelf life of a couple years. I've found all of these, dated 3 years old, at my local Neiman's.

So odds are, you've got at least one example of a not-so-fresh sample.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I would trust the sample you had. Sometimes decants get traded around in circles, passed from one person to another, they may be quite old.

Buy it from a reputable source and I am sure it will be fine.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Welcome to the world of "delicately balanced" Creeds.

A bad or "off" bottle of Erolfa is probably one of the most disgusting things I have smelled - it smells like rotting salty decomposing tortoise with very little if any citrus goodness.

A "fresh" or good bottle on the other hand is one of the finest marine fragrances created - a melange of citrus notes which blend superbly with the salty notes to create a strikingly realistic sea shore image.
    -

Off-Scenter

My bottle of Erolfa goes on just as my sample did: in a burst of very fresh, tangy tangerine that lasts into the first hour or so. Of course, citrus notes are highly volatile, so if anything were to evaporate off of a sample, they would be first...

Thanks alot for all your replies!
    I knew something was wrong. Actually I've seen many people on the board saying negative things about Erolf, and of course scents is a very subjective thing, but something leads me to believe that many of those people have smelled it from a bottle that is more or less 'off''.

Anyhow, before I pay full price for this great scent, is there any source you know of that have a fresh stock? I am thinking of creedirect (former Bond No. 9 store right?) on eBay. Have you zztopp or anyone else tried his Erolfa testers? Are they what I'm looking for?
    Last edited by abg1234; 24th April 2007 at 07:43 PM.
    For swap:

Actually, I got an EXTREMELY fresh bottle of Erolfa from Scentiments.

When I got my bottle I was initally alarmed because the boxes I'd previously seen for Erolfa had a little picture of a yacht in the center of the box and said "Erolfa"-- Mine, however, had a deep blue velvety sticker that said Erolfa in gold script. No sailboat.

Then I read on here that that's how the newer specimens of Erolfa are being packaged. I got out all my various Creed boxes and was comparing them. I think Creed changes little details in their boxes every year or so. I was looking at my Virgin Island Water box, which I just bought at retail through an authorized dealer-- it's as new as can be--It doesn't have a date on it, by the way. I noticed that the box for Virgin Island Water and my Erolfa were the only two that were exactly the same in the fact that they had a little embossed "1760" right under the crest on the front of the box (right abovve the label). I think that's a feature of this year's boxes. Plus, both had no date. I'm pretty sure that my Erolfa is from a very, very recent batch (I bought it in late December).

Scentiments had been out of Erolfa for a while, but I kept checking their site and as soon as I saw that they had gotten Erolfa back in stock, I jumped on it. And got a fresh, prefect bottle.

I can't guarantee the same will happen to you, but I've had good luck with Scentiments on the Erolfa issue.

I love Erolfa!

Quote Originally Posted by abg1234 View Post
    Anyhow, before I pay full price for this great scent, is there any source you know of that have a fresh stock? I am thinking of creedirect (former Bond No. 9 store right?) on eBay. Have you zztopp or anyone else tried his Erolfa testers? Are they what I'm looking for?
    I have bought Erolfa from both Scentiments and Creedirect and they were good stock.
    -

Right now Scentiments has 2.5oz Erolfa EDT for $99.88, and 4oz Erolfa EDP for $98.99.

Is there some reason why a larger bottle of stronger juice is cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
    Right now Scentiments has 2.5oz Erolfa EDT for $99.88, and 4oz Erolfa EDP for $98.99.

Its probably a pricing error (scentiments has had a few in the past) and I would take advantage of it if I were planning to buy Erolfa !
    -

I'm certain that there's some variation in Creed "vintages" of Erolfa, among others. My first sample vials of Erolfa came from Parfums Raffy and smelled somewhat different than the full-sized bottles that I've purchased since... I also think that Erolfa's one of those scents that changes a bit according to whether its sprayed through an atomizer or splashed on. I've never smelled a bad one though -- great stuff!

-Ronald

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post

uh...

Don't pay attention to whether it says EDT or EDP. It's always the same thing with regard to Creeds. Sometimes different sites will use the tems EDT/EDP-- but they're not to be taken literally with the Creeds. All Erolfa is Millesime strength. Always and without exception!!! All Creeds that are Millesimes are the same strength.

Erolfa is Erolfa is Erolfa.

Green Irish Tweed is Green Irish Tweed is Green Irish Tweed.

Himalaya is Himalaya is Himalaya.

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Actually, I got an EXTREMELY fresh bottle of Erolfa from Scentiments.

When I got my bottle I was initally alarmed because the boxes I'd previously seen for Erolfa had a little picture of a yacht in the center of the box and said "Erolfa"-- Mine, however, had a deep blue velvety sticker that said Erolfa in gold script. No sailboat.

Then I read on here that that's how the newer specimens of Erolfa are being packaged. I got out all my various Creed boxes and was comparing them. I think Creed changes little details in their boxes every year or so. I was looking at my Virgin Island Water box, which I just bought at retail through an authorized dealer-- it's as new as can be--It doesn't have a date on it, by the way. I noticed that the box for Virgin Island Water and my Erolfa were the only two that were exactly the same in the fact that they had a little embossed "1760" right under the crest on the front of the box (right abovve the label). I think that's a feature of this year's boxes. Plus, both had no date. I'm pretty sure that my Erolfa is from a very, very recent batch (I bought it in late December).

Scentiments had been out of Erolfa for a while, but I kept checking their site and as soon as I saw that they had gotten Erolfa back in stock, I jumped on it. And got a fresh, prefect bottle.

I can't guarantee the same will happen to you, but I've had good luck with Scentiments on the Erolfa issue.

I love Erolfa!
    I bought a 4 oz. bottle of Erolfa last month at Hall's, the Creed retail seller in Kansas City. My box also had the blue embossed velvet label on the front side, but it also had what appeared to be a date stamped in a rectangular border just below the Millesime name at the top of the back side of the box.
    My box was "dated" 2005, and although I don't have other samples to compare to (this is my first bottle), it smells wonderful, with no off or rotting smells. I do pick up very slight citrus notes, but they're not the headliners - When I smell Erolfa, I search for the salty, briny, summer sweat notes.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I am so tempted to give up on Creeds completely. They're either ripped off, counterfeited, or go bad. And getting a completely fresh and genuine one costs an arm and a leg.