Code of Conduct

Question Are there any scents which contain a Lantana note?

I was thinking today about scents in nature I've always really enjoyed and the first one that I thought of was Lantana Camara.. For anyone not familiar with the plant this is the one I'm speaking of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantana

I searched the Directory for this as a note and tried using the search feature here on the forums but didn't find a thing. I know the plant itself is considered toxic and it's leaves can cause skin irritation. Apparently alot of people also find it's odor rather foul (I've even heard several people refer to it locally as "stink-flower") But it's such a distinct and unique smell that I'd really enjoy seeing how it could be integrated into a fragrance.

Anyone else a fan of this scent? Is there anything out there that smells a bit like it?

Default Re: Are there any scents which contain a Lantana note?

I know this is a way old post, but I've only just spotted it whilst searching 'lantana' on the forum. I too am a fan of the Lantana plant! We had a hedge of it growing in our back yard when I was a kid and whenever I smell it now I get hugely nostalgic. There is nothing in the world that smells quite like it. Unfortunately I've never come across it in any fragrances or perfumed products, but I'll keep on looking.

Edited to say: I lived in Africa then, not England!
    Last edited by Lalage; 27th April 2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: additional info

Lantana has a very distinctive scent that borders between the divine and the noxious.

It is the very prominent top note of Anna Sui's "Dolly Girl".

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Lantana has a very distinctive scent that borders between the divine and the noxious.

It is the very prominent top note of Anna Sui's "Dolly Girl".
    Dimitri, thanks for this very exciting information, you've given me a wonderful mission for the weekend : to try this Dolly Girl stuff as soon as humanly possible!
    Last edited by Lalage; 27th April 2007 at 02:00 PM.

Youre very welcome Lalage
    As far as "fine fragrance" is concerned, the scent itself falls a bit short, and the flacon (although fun) is a far cry from class and refinement... however, if its Lantana you want, its Lantana you'll get!

Please report back here with your impressions

I tested Dolly Girl on Saturday!

Lol, well you were certainly right about it not being a fine fragrance and its not something I can see myself actually wearing, but I recognized the distinctive Lantana right away and it made me smile! I will definitely be revisiting this fragrance in the future for another dose of nostalgia...

Hahah! I thought as much
    But Im happy you found something that holds a sense of nostalgia for you... even if it is packaged like a $2 hooker....

Default Lantana essential oil

pm sent instead
    Last edited by Apis; 30th April 2007 at 11:06 PM.