Code of Conduct

Default Appropriate fragrances for a hospital worker?

Hi, I'm quite new to the world of fragrances and I'm in need of your guidance and suggestions.

I'm looking for 3-4 fragrances to wear whilst at work. I know there's loads of other posts on this topic but they all seem to be aimed towards office workers. Being a hospital worker and the nature of my work, I need something that's quite specific I suppose. Its got to be:

* Fresh and not too heavy, cloying
    * Understated but interesting (enough projection to get noticed, but not enough to awake a patient from a coma - though this could be seen as a good thing!)
    * Good in the warm (its a hot hospital and a pretty physical job)
    * Not so boring, that the ladies won't notice it ;-)

Looking around the site I've picked out 2-3 that look suitable (Bulgari Aqva Pour Homme, Thierry Mugler Cologne and Lanvin L'Homme) - what do you reckon to those?

If its any help, I'm 24.

Any help or suggestion would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

Blog Entries

Default Re: Appropriate fragrances for a hospital worker?

Mugler Cologne is an EXCELLENT choice! I'll also suggest Gendarme, CK be, Burberry Touch, and Clinique Happy.

And welcome to basenotes!!!
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 25th April 2007 at 11:44 PM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Hi Pete,
    And welcome!

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but if I were working with patients (maybe you're not?), I would be very cautious about using fragrance at all. Even apart from the usual allergy concerns, which are legion nowadays, I would think that being sick would increase one's sensitivity to scents even more, so even if it didn't make someone have an asthma attack or the like, they may find scents much more annoying than they usually would.

I would think that someone not hovering near patients could probably wear more types of fragrances.

But an opinion on this would be best given by a health professional; let's see if any of them chime in.

On a more positive note, you'll get loads of ideas from people here!
    Best of luck, Dave

I agree with CJ,Mugler Cologne would be a great choice.

I think Bvlgari pour homme would be a better option than their Aqva. Its much more understated IMO. That would be my first choice. Its one of the best anytime, anywhere fragrances out there. Not to mention, its pretty unique as well.

A few others i would try are Creed's Original Vetiver and Odeur 53 by Comme des Garcons.

What an interesting topic!

I am in love with L'Antimatiere by LesNez - it's all I want to smell these days, and it's extremely light (some people claim it's like spraying on water).

However, Cognoscento has a point - maybe you could try the hypoalergenic Burberry Baby Touch baby cologne?

Dependent

Isn't this covered in the employee handbook? I can see a doctor arriving at the bedside of a patient and exclaiming "it's gagrenous" and you come out of the loo and announce no it's "cuir mauresque"

I'd check with Human Resources and see what they suggest.

Wink Re: Appropriate fragrances for a hospital worker?

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Isn't this covered in the employee handbook? I can see a doctor arriving at the bedside of a patient and exclaiming "it's gagrenous" and you come out of the loo and announce no it's "cuir mauresque"

I'd check with Human Resources and see what they suggest.
    That is really a good one!

Thanks for the replies people. I can't speak for the US, but in the UK employers are pretty relaxed about things like this. They're more concerned about excessive jewelery and make-up (neither of which I wear by the way!). Still, as you say, if I was a patient I wouldn't want to smell anything too strong, and being in quite close proximity to patients this is why something more understated would be better.

I've tried Clinique Happy before but it didn't have great longevity on my skin. CJ - I've looked at Gendarme before and I've been meaning to get a sample. I was a bit worried that I am a bit young to pull it off though.

Has anyone tried the Lanvin.

Cheers
    Last edited by pajohns6; 26th April 2007 at 01:39 AM.

My dentist wears Mugler Cologne.

Chiming in from the cardiopulmonary department... (Just got my temp state license today, matter o'fact. )

As a rule, I'd say "None, period." Not only can it irritate potentially hypersensitive respiratory systems... it's not even really the appropriate 'scene' -- The for-instances that come to mind make the lifelong anti-authoritarian in me think, "Dude, relaaaax", so I'll keep them to myself, but let's just leave it with, "Bad Idea." *heh*

Skipping -around- the rule that certain exceptions just helps to prove: It also depends where you work and what type of patient you're talking about. If you're sitting somewhere in an administrative office away from patient contact, I'm sure it's a bit safer. If you're doing postmortem pathology, I'm sure fewer will care. Some absolute no-no's would be: Any acute care: ICU, (And PICU/NICU) ER. Anything with children/babies (Smaller airway radius to begin with = greater effect of bronchospasm). Anything with chronic lung disease (Asthma, COPD, CF, Chronic Bronchitis, ILD, etc.).

So, that leaves the subacute adult population. However, a lot of -those- patients can have respiratory issues. I regularly get orthopedic patients... COPD-ers tear rotator cuffs, too! *grin* Also, post-operative atelectasis can kick down even a person with normal lungs' reserve.

All THAT ranting aside, a lightly-applied aftershave-strength something is fairly safe. The moral of the story? No Kouros.

Basenotes Institution

I would think that any 'cologne' would be appropriate in a hospital job.

By cologne, I mean colognes strength scents. Many of the larger and niche fragrance lines now include atleast one 'cologne' style scent. Much lighter, more alcohol vs oil and therefore less sillage/longevity. However, some of them are quite good.

Colognes I'd wear if I worked in a hospital:

Vetiveru by Comme de Garcons
    Eau de Cologne by Chanel
    Cologne Blanche by Dior

More cologne recommendations can be found on that thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=193380
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th April 2007 at 03:46 AM.

I've been working in a hospital setting for ~10 years, and would have to say that it's generally considered inappropriate to wear fragrances during patient/client interaction(s). That being said, no one said that you can't bring along your MKK spritzer for post-work "special" occasions
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

I don't believe the poster asked for advice if he should or should not wear scents to work.

I second CdG Vettiveru and Creed OV.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

The first scent to come to mind for me would be Gendarme and maybe Mugler Cologne next.

"I don't believe the poster asked for advice if he should or should not wear scents to work."

Not to be a pain, but it's an actual health issue -- and on the 'What's appropriate?' question, 'Nothing' is the best answer in many situations.

If someone asks, "What's the best model flyswatter to steal from Bob's Flyswatter Emporium?", I don't think people should get condescending about the phrasing of the question if someone suggests not stealing anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post

I think Bvlgari pour homme would be a better option than their Aqva. Its much more understated IMO. That would be my first choice. Its one of the best anytime, anywhere fragrances out there. Not to mention, its pretty unique as well.
    Exactly my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I don't believe the poster asked for advice if he should or should not wear scents to work. . . .
    TNMA
    The op did ask for guidance - something that someone, who has already experienced the questioned situation, may, in fact, have some knowledge about. In the decade at one of the world's leading research/medical institution, I've never come across any other doctors wearing any noticeable scent. Therefore can't this amount of "in the field" background data be utilised as perhaps some sort of "guidance"?

But then again, the op never claimed that he/she was a physician nor nurse, so perhaps there is no patient contact/interaction?
    Last edited by zeram1; 26th April 2007 at 07:39 AM. Reason: omitted idea
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by pajohns6 View Post
    Hi, I'm quite new to the world of fragrances and I'm in need of your guidance and suggestions.

I'm looking for 3-4 fragrances to wear whilst at work. I know there's loads of other posts on this topic but they all seem to be aimed towards office workers. Being a hospital worker and the nature of my work, I need something that's quite specific I suppose. Its got to be:

* Fresh and not too heavy, cloying
    * Understated but interesting (enough projection to get noticed, but not enough to awake a patient from a coma - though this could be seen as a good thing!)
    * Good in the warm (its a hot hospital and a pretty physical job)
    * Not so boring, that the ladies won't notice it ;-)

Looking around the site I've picked out 2-3 that look suitable (Bulgari Aqva Pour Homme, Thierry Mugler Cologne and Lanvin L'Homme) - what do you reckon to those?

If its any help, I'm 24.

Any help or suggestion would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete
    Dont think twice and get your hands on some Versace Metal Jeans. Tough to find, but it's what you're looking for.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I would think that any 'cologne' would be appropriate in a hospital job.

By cologne, I mean colognes strength scents. Many of the larger and niche fragrance lines now include atleast one 'cologne' style scent. Much lighter, more alcohol vs oil and therefore less sillage/longevity. However, some of them are quite good.

Colognes I'd wear if I worked in a hospital:

Vetiveru by Comme de Garcons
    Eau de Cologne by Chanel
    Cologne Blanche by Dior

More cologne recommendations can be found on that thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=193380
    This seems a prudent recommendation regarding cologne strength fragrances.
    Being a non clinical ER worker, I do wear fragrance, but am conscious about the amount of application. It is frowned upon where I work, for Nurses or Doctors to wear fragrance, though many nurses get around this using scented body lotions, which are generally more subtle.
    Of course if you ask me about a specific scent these days, you KNOW I'm going to recommend Himalaya
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I wouldn't over-emphasise the importance of a hospital over any other work institution - (many people like to do this) as if they are some form of holy shrine.

I'd apply the same rules for fragrance for any professional situation. Wear a subtle fragrance (the ones you've picked are perfect) and apply judiciously, such that only someone coming very close to you can smell it distinctly, at a distance you will just smell like someone who values personal hygiene, which BTW many in people who work in hospitals do not. Much better to smell like Bvlgari PH than cigarette smoke or body odour.

Saying fragrance in a hospital is tabou / inderdit (pun) is ridiculous.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Gendarme
    Gendarme V
    Gendarme 20
    Grabazzi

anything clean/soapy smelling IMO.

If I'd known this would have provoked such an intense debate I wouldn't have asked!

Just to set the record straight, I'm a Radiographer so I'm in pretty close contact with patients. I've always worn stuff that is pretty subdued because of this. This reason I posted is that I've recently started wearing a scent-free deodorant and wanted a few new fragrances purely so I don't smell of nothing, or worse, body odour!.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's given me a good selection that I can go out and try.

Many thanks
    Last edited by pajohns6; 26th April 2007 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I don't believe the poster asked for advice if he should or should not wear scents to work.
    I don't believe those replying are obligated to answer the poster's question and say nothing more.

May I suggest:
    Gendarme V
    TM Cologne
    Bulgari PH
    Monsieur Galimard
    Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo
    Acqua di Parma - Colonia
    Paco Rabanne Sport
    Acqua di Selva
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    Last edited by MisterK; 26th April 2007 at 05:49 PM.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Hehe, my apologies to all; I meant no offense.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)