Code of Conduct

Default the smell of gardens

i know this is a male fragrance discussion but hope someone indulges my sentimental journey here..

can anyone recommend or has anyone come across with a nice garden-ic scent that doesnt border on being girly? im more looking into non-soliflore scents, those that have layers of scents in them. preferably floral but i can also consider those that are green gardeny ones

i like diptyque's jardin clos.. any other scents you know?

thanks!!
    Last edited by lilyboy; 22nd April 2007 at 10:21 PM.

Default Re: the smell of gardens

Bustan from Uns Fine Crafts is incredible. It is supposed to (and does) remind one of a walled garden after a rainstorm. Think Generalife in al-Andalus and you're pretty close.

Basenotes Institution

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur is a Basenotes favorite - rose, and a distinct smell of flower stems, water and dirt also. For me, it is the complete outdoor garden experience, in a bottle.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd April 2007 at 12:48 AM.

I don't know if herb garden falls into this category, but if it does, Diptyque's Vergilio is at the top of that list. Very green, very herb-y, with the usual Diptyque androgeny.

Hermes ~ Un Jardin en Mediterranee

Gobin Daude ~ Jardins Ottomans

Voleur de Roses is an outstanding rose garden scent. It's "warm", pretty strong, and long lasting. It's not "green" smelling but more of a "dirty" scent - roots & mud. The predominant scent is sharp as opposed to sweet. To me this is not an office scent, and would probably best fit formal, romantic, and spending-time-alone situations. I liked it immediately upon sampling but some people say they have to get used to it, so you might want to test first...Good luck.

Mike

Would you consider a Demeter cologne, like "Wet Garden" or "New Zealand"?

Can gardens be girly or manly? I believe that answers my attitude towards garden smells in a bottle. Voleur dR and Jardin en M
    have already been recommend. So let me add:

- Jil Sander's SUN - a feminine (sorry) that smells like the summer wind over meadows with lots of flowers.
    - Sisley, Eau de Campagne - a bit expensive, for a green garden with freshly cut grass and no flowers.
    - YSL Paris - same green grass as above and lots of spring roses (rose du May, probably synth) enormous longuevity for such kind of cologne.
    You got to have courage though, the advertising for Paris is crazily feminine.

Guerlain has this great natural Aqua Allegoria line with soliflowers and combinations of two or three flowers, herbs or fruits. Lilia Bella seems
    to be new and I liked it (flower bed magnifier). Avoid the famous Jardin des Bagatelles which is exactly the opposite of what the name
    indicates: a screaming feminine, maybe suited for the ball room queen !
    Last edited by narcus; 23rd April 2007 at 07:28 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    Bustan from Uns Fine Crafts is incredible. It is supposed to (and does) remind one of a walled garden after a rainstorm. Think Generalife in al-Andalus and you're pretty close.
    Do you have any info on this? Can't find it on the net. Generalife? - me want
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

If you want dirt, stems, flowers and all, a couple of the CB I Hate Perfume scents would work. To See a Flower and Violet Empire.
    Visit our perfume blog - Perfume Posse

Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic. Veddy veddy green.

I get a grove kind of feel from L'Occitane Vetiver (old juice, I can't vouch for the new juice); I recall it has cypress in it so that might be what does it for me. Not exactly a garden though...
    Last edited by MisterK; 23rd April 2007 at 02:12 PM.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Coincidentally, I happen to be wearing Anucci Man this week, which is I think exactly what you're looking for (check out the reviews in the Basenotes Directory).
    "She allowed subsequently to Cottard that she found me remarkably enthusiastic; he replied that I was too emotional, that I needed sedatives, and that I ought to take up knitting." --Proust, *Cities of the Plain*

L Ombre dans L Eau by Diptyque resembles the smell - as someone pointed out in a review - of a "riverside garden". Its mostly black currant and rose, all in all a wet garden on a rainy day in early summer or spring. Very green.... Another interesting one is Reverie au Jardin, the new fragrance by Andy Tauer. Main theme here is lavender but it has also a noticeable rose note. To me it is also a "garden smell". Ah, so many differnt gardens.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    I am interested in info on that one too! Lately I was thinking a lot of al-Andalus.....
    Last edited by costello; 23rd April 2007 at 06:22 PM.
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Quote Originally Posted by costello View Post
    L Ombre dans L Eau by Diptyque resembles the smell - as someone pointed out in a review - of a "riverside garden". Its mostly black currant and rose, all in all a wet garden on a rainy day in early summer or spring. Very green....
    I was going to mention this one. This is just a wonderful wet garden smell. Much lighter in tone than VdR, which gets overrun by patchouli at times. L'Ombre is one of my most loved scents.

-Slim

"Beyond Paradise" by Estée Lauder for men is reported to encompass floral, green and woody accords that have been extracted from hundreds of plants from a famous botanical garden whose name escapes me right now.

Its not really my bag, but it is pleasant, floral, with some nice patchouli and woods on the drydown. Worth a sniff when looking at 'garden'-like scents.

creed chevrefeuille original - honeysuckle and greeness
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 23rd April 2007 at 10:14 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

It depends on whether you're looking for "charmingly evocative of a garden" or "damn, it smells like a garden, I think I just smelled a worm."

I can offer you a suggestion in the latter, "disturbingly realistic" category: Comme des Garcons Series 5 Sherbet:Rhubarb layered over CB I Hate Perfume Forest Floor (single accord). The Rhubarb is juicy and smells so tart it makes me drool slightly, and the Forest Floor gets the complex smell of damp ground dead-on. Together they smell like . . . a garden.

I second the previous poster that Christopher Brosius perfumes are good bets for garden scents - the man is apparently obsessed with the various smells of dirt. In a good way. When he was with Demeter, didn't they actually release Earthworm?

Hmm...Bustan isn't on the website anymore. I just sent the owner an email to see if it is still available. I will let you know.

It may not smell of a garden, but something that one could wear while strolling in a nice country garden.... Caron PuH

I love the fresh wet grass smell of Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Lorenzo Viloresi Spezie this is a herb garden with to my nose a strong smell of tomatoe leaves standing out the most.