Code of Conduct

Default Today's lunchtime stroll through Nordstrom's

After a two and a half hour conference call, I decided I needed to get out of the office for a moment to clear my head... and what better way to do it than a stroll through the mall adjacent to my office building?

Of course I was drawn to Nordstrom's Fragrance Department, and decided to spend a few minutes sampling a few things I'd not yet tried. Here's my findings, in order of WOW factor:

Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Wow, what a wonderful, tremendous opening! Can't speak about the drydown yet, as it's only been a half hour, but I'm really thinking this will make an appearance on my "to buy" list. Sweet, elegant, dark - I actually got a bit of a "goth" note (in a good way) that I can't think of any other way to describe.

The Art of Shaving Sandalwood
    The first thing I put on today, and now I can't stop smelling my left wrist, hand, palm, etc. Just beautiful, clean, old school, and very much right up my alley. Yes it's got a medicinal quality, the eucalyptus makes me think of that clean, barber/disinfectant smell I love so much. I can see this being one of my big summertime scents this year - since I don't really feel like splurging for Santalum. But I think I'll hold off until I try Santal Blanc and Geo Trumper's take on Sandalwood before I go buying a full bottle.

Pal Zileri Sartoriale
    This was weird, I really liked it at first - and I think because of that I'll give it another shot - but then it quickly sorta blended into the background. Maybe it's just the overbearing effects of the Sandalwood and Black Orchid drowning this one out... Classy dry scent with a touch of fruit - but more like a fermented fruit (ala Michael Kors for Men, but only in that one note). Can see this one being good for work, assuming it lasts a bit longer than it's appearing to at this moment.

Asprey Purple Water
    Sweet! Fruity! Light! NOT MY THING!
    Like citrus and strawberry flavored cotton candy. The inital blast reminds me of Blue Sugar with fruit in the mix - maybe it's just the florals and ginger playing tricks on my nose. I can see this being a fun spring scent for a younger person than myself, but let's just say it's not for me at this point in time.

Gucci PH II
    YUCK! As someone who loves, Loves, LOVES Gucci PH - this is just all kinds of wrong. And I don't think I'll waste any more words on this than that.

Default Re: Today's lunchtime stroll through Nordstrom's

Just the mention of anything being like the evil Blue Sugar is enough to send me in the opposite direction, fast.

Basenotes Institution

You work near Nordstroms? That can be dangerous!

Black Orchid has been getting some love recently here on BN - I'm at the very bottom of my decant, I think I have only about 2 more wearings of it. I am saving them for a special occassion. Let us know what you think of the famous 'stinky' drydown. I think I referred to it, on another thread, as 'candied decomposition' - in a good way. Lasts, and lasts and lasts. One of the very few that will actually last thru a hot shower on my skin. I'm interested to see how the new 12 Tom Fords compare to Black Orchid.

AoS Sandalwood - is the medicinal note like the one in Pomegranate Noir? If so, it sounds promising. Also, I see you mentioned wanting to try Geo F Trumpers Sandalwood but be prepared: It does not smell much like Sandalwood (think of it as the anti-Santalum...). You should still try it - I love it (bright, strong, sillage for miles) but I don't love it for its sandalwood properties that's for sure.

The 2 others I know nothing about - my curiosity is now piqued...

Don't you just love lunchtime excursions into the fragrance stores? Sometimes it's almost better than actually eating food.

p.s. - Oh almost forgot - yeah I think GPH2 blows also.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th April 2007 at 10:14 PM.

You can throw me into the GPH II hater's crowd. I'm a little surprised that the reaction has been more positive here than negative (overall on BN). Good reviews on the others by the way, especially AOS Sandalwood that took me about 3 wearings to get to like.

Hold off before you buy the AoS Sandalwood (like you said).

I was crazy about it at first, but then lost my momentum on this one. I've found myself more attracted to the AoS Lemon cologne.

Still like it quite a bit, though.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Wink Re: Today's lunchtime stroll through Nordstrom's

I am a BIG sandalwood fan and I find the Art of Shaving's version a bit lacking. It has too much of that generic-men's-fragrance-thing battling it out with the sandalwood note, at least for my tastes.
    Tom Ford Black Orchid is kind of a novelty/drag queen fragrance. I love certain women's fragrances on men - why not gender bend it if you want to? - but Black Orchid is way too slutish for a guy to pull off.
    As for the other three, I don't know them, but they sound awful by your description.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th April 2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: capriciousness!

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Wow, what a wonderful, tremendous opening! Can't speak about the drydown yet, as it's only been a half hour, but I'm really thinking this will make an appearance on my "to buy" list. Sweet, elegant, dark - I actually got a bit of a "goth" note (in a good way) that I can't think of any other way to describe.
    If you like Black Orchid, consider YSL Nu. I found them to be similar; you might be able to get the Nu EDP at bargain basement prices. I'm not sure, but I think Nu came out during Ford's reign at YSL.
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    You work near Nordstroms? That can be dangerous!.
    Oh it is, it certainly is. There's a Nordstrom's, a Macy's, a Saks and a Sephora in the mall next to my office building - it's a dangerous thing indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Do yourself a favour, go to a Neimans or a Saks and try some Creeds, Hermes, Lutens, etc. Nordstroms is a very nice store, but their men's fragrance department is kind of pedestrian.
    Hahaha... thanks for the advice but I already have Creeds, Hermes, Lutens... and the "pedestrian" Nordstrom's fragrance dept carries Hermes, by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
    If you like Black Orchid, consider YSL Nu. I found them to be similar; you might be able to get the Nu EDP at bargain basement prices. I'm not sure, but I think Nu came out during Ford's reign at YSL.
    K
    Will see what I can do to find it and check it out. Thanks for the tip!

K
    I agree, and I actually commented on this to the SA who was pushing Black Orchid. Of course, she knew nothing about Tom Ford's work with YSL. (That's O.K. though, I'm a waiter and I don't really know sh*t [or care] about wines all that much and sometimes I'll get a real wine snob who drives me nuts with questions. I'm surprised how much I'm into the nuances of fragrances, but get bored to tears with anything to do with wine. Though I do like to drink red wine, on certain occasions. Only for the effect though-- it puts me in a lovin' mood. So to a wine snob, I must be their version of the "Aqua di Gio guy"

But yeah, I found Black Orchid to be based on the same framework as Nu, but with some differences in the topnotes.

Talking Re: Today's lunchtime stroll through Nordstrom's

Gucci II is boring and got no lasting power...smells a bit like banana :-)

Basenotes Institution

K
    Sorry to hijack this thread and turn it into a discussion on Nu, but...

I recently read a review of Nu, that intrigued me too - now I really want to sniff it. I found out that Nu was the very first scent Tom Ford created for YSL. Interesting.

The bottle, I've heard, sucks though: It's pretty modern, it resembles some kind of space obelesk from a Star Trek episode, and it's incredibly hard to spray. You need 2 hands to spray it, and then sometimes it drips down the bottle if you don't spray it hard enough...But, if the juice is good, who cares, right?

The reviewer said that it smelled like a 'cold and metallic incense scent - as if a drop of chlorine were added to the formula' and 'incense I can imagine David Bowie wearing onstage'.

Sounds neat.