Code of Conduct

Default Scent for my wedding

I'm looking for a frangrance that is new for me for my wedding. My usual favorite is Dior's Dolce Vita. I love the sweetness about it - but it has depth and warmth as well. I went to the local mall and got loads of samples. I started testing away. Only then did I realize how different each frangrance was. I thought this would be an easy task...but it's not! I think I fell upon Dolce Vita years ago - which is why I had no idea picking a perfume was that hard!!! So - I'm looking for some suggestions. I don't know what I really like: woody, floral, etc...but I know I love love love Dolce Vita. I hope that helps people!

My wedding is in August in the evening in Maine. I am looking for a deep frangrance. I don't like florals and I usually like something on the sweet side.

I also want something my to-be husband will be able to smell in the future and remember our wedding

Here is what I've tried so far:
    Chanel No. 5 - didn't fit me
    Chanel Chance - too flowery
    Very Wang Princess - smelled GREAT on the paper - horrible on me
    Flower Bomb - another one that smelled GREAT on paper - horrible on me
    Betsy Johnson - love this - but it's more of a daytime perfume for me
    Coco Chanel - I like this - but not sure I want a whole bottle
    Lolita Lempick (can't remember the exact one) - this was WAY too sweet
    Dior Miss Dior - just didn't do it for me

When I got these samples I had no idea about the different frangrance types (or whatever they're called...sorry I'm still new!!).

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scent for my wedding

I think Creed's Love in White would be a perfect wedding frag . But actually...if you love Dolce Vita I'd probably go with that!!! It's a familiar scent to both your and your hubby-to-be, & will probably be very comforting to both of you on that special day. Then, maybe you could pick up some new frags on the honeymoon as souvenirs! By the way, an August evening in Maine sounds AMAZING for a wedding!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Welcome. I would love to try and help you find your perfect wedding day scent. I was married 6 months ago and finding the perfect wedding day scent was very important to me as well. A couple things you should keep in mind:

1.Sample and wear the scent before your wedding day. You do not want to find out on your wedding day that a particular scent doesn’t work with your chemistry or gives you a headache. However, don’t wear this scent every day or else it won’t be associated solely with your wedding. Sample it, make a decision, and then put it aside for the big day (and then special occasions).

2.Pick a scent that your fiancée really likes on you.

3.Try to find a scent that is a classic or one that sells well. These days so many frags are discontinued a couple years after release and you want a wedding perfume that will be available on your 25th anniversary and beyond so you can relive the day through the perfume.

4.When you sample/wear the scent – try to envision yourself in your gown, the probable weather & temperature, the way you will look, the environment, and then see if the scent “fits”.

For my wedding I finally decided on Coco by Chanel. I have always loved Coco and my husband loves it as well. I purchased a half ounce bottle of the parfum and opened it on my wedding day. Looking back on the day this was the perfect scent. My dress was a heavy beaded satin, champagne in colour, it was a very cool autumn day and Coco just fit. (I had the following in mind to choose from for my big day: No. 5 parfum, Tiffany, Creed Fleurissimo, Coco)

I think you really just need to sample, sample, sample and find something you love, feel comfortable in and will treasure for many years to come.

Here are some suggestions for you to try:

Tiffany
    Joy
    Chanel No. 22
    Chanel Gardenia
    Vera Wang (original)
    Boucheron
    Creed (any one that you love)
    Tresor
    YSL Paris

Actually the first fragrance that hit me when you said you loved Dolce Vita was Dior Addict,but I also think that you should try Chanel's Bois des iles or maybe Sensi by Armani.Happy hunting

Blog Entries

Why fix what ain't broken? Dolce Vita is a wonderful choice:

1. You already know and love it
    2. It will help calm and ground you on what is a very stressful and fraught day.
    3. Dolce Vita translates as "[the] Good Life" which you and your SO intend on having - together!
    4. Your SO already knows and associates this wonderful scent with you, so the scent will remind him of your wedding day anyway - because it will make him think of you!

That being said, if you really want something new to mark this festive occasion then it is probably best to stick to scents that are from the same scent family (that you love) rather than trying to do a crash course in all things perfume just before the wedding.

NB: May I suggest that you seek out a scent with a complimentary body range so that as an alternative, you can 'layer' with the body products (shower gel, body lotion, talc) for a subtle 'aura' of scent that doesn't overwhelm in the summer evening heat...

Christian Dior Dolce Vita is a warm (slightly fruity) woody floral, with a cedarwood dominated base. I do believe sandalwood based perfumes will work well for you too.

Perfumes that have a similar feel include:

Shiseido Feminite du Bois
    Etro Etra
    Arran Aromatics After the Rain
    YSL Y
    Chanel Bois des Iles parfum
    Ava Luxe Chaos type
    Ava Luxe Moksha
    Ava Luxe Biba
    Diptyque Tam Dao
    Ava Luxe Royal Parvati
    Ava Luxe Shisha
    Ava Luxe Fig Wood
    Ava luxe Sweet Amber Wood
    Ava Luxe Ambra Tibet
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles
    Serge Lutens Santal Blanc
    Fendi Theorema
    Balenciaga Talisman
    Jil Sander No.4
    Badgely Mischka
    Lagerfeld Sun Moon Stars
    Annayake Miyako
    L'Artisan Parfumeurs Passage d'Enfer - unfortunate name, wonderful scent (means either 'Rite of Passage' or 'Through Fire' - though many take gothic delight in translating it as 'Road through / to Hell')
    Rochas Absolu
    Prada Tendre
    Gucci Eau de Parfum
    Gucci Pour Homme - made for the men but wonderful on a woman.
    Yardley Sandalwood
    Coty Wild Woods

At http://www.ava-luxe.com there are plenty of other scents that may work for you - I recommend you start a load of samples from the 'Woods / Resins' section. There is also a bespoke scent service where you can commission a unique scent for your special day - but there may not be enough time for that.

Do let us know how your search goes, and whether you find what you are looking for...

Congratulations on your big day! And remember, if all else fails you already have the perfect scent!
    Last edited by moondeva; 26th April 2007 at 09:51 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Congratulations!

Like Chanellove, I'm coming up to my six-monthiversary, and I had some fantastic recommendations on here for a wedding day scent. I agree with everyone's ideas - you could think about getting the pure parfum of dolce vita and layering it for something extra special.

I thought of Serge Lutens un Bois Vanille, but it might be a little too sweet if you found Lolita Lempika too sweet. For my October wedding I chose Serge Lutens Daim Blond, and it was perfect. I bought Agent Provocateur fMaitresse for the honeymoon, along with an old favourite Ormonde Jayne Frangipane Absolute.

Let us know how you get on and good luck with all the planning.

For you, do whatever is necessary to get a sample of Chanel Bois de Iles. You might also like Nahema by Guerlain --PM me and I'll offer a sample of the parfum. I second Love in White as a special, warm but minimal vanilla wood. Consider Sage Machado's Pearl and Hanae Mori Mystical Moon as well, though I've not tried them yet myself they have your notes and come well thought of by people whose taste I trust. I put a lot of thought and links and crap in a longer post but I accidently deleted it and now I have to go to work.
    Last edited by Shycat; 27th April 2007 at 12:02 AM.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

yes I agree sniff Chanel Bois de Iles- could be perfect- also try Bond Chinatown -peaches and gardenia yummm or maybe Prada? Have fun

Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Bond No. 9 West Side reminds me of Dolce Vita.
    Another vote for Bois des Iles! Definitely try the parfum (my favorite) as well as the edt. You may want to try Anné Pliska, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Secrete Datura, Parfumerie Générale Aomassai, 10 Corso Como, People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo, Susanne Lang Cashmere

Thumbs up Re: Scent for my wedding

I too love Dolce Vita. The woods and sweetness are just divine. The body products are amazing and I would invest in them - even if you don't wear DV for your wedding day.

Feminte Du Bois by Shiseido is very similar - but not as much fruit. A couple of others I love that are a bit woody too are:

Trussardi Skin (lovely on hot, humid days)
    Tresor by Lancome
    Hypnose' by Lancome is a wonderful fragrance. Touch of fruit on a vanilla/wood base
    Alien by Thierry Mulger

Everyone...Thank you so much for your suggestions...I'm heading out to the local mall this weekend to get what I can (as samples of course). What I can't find there - I will surely find on the web. Then I get to test away

Shycat...I would love a sample as you suggested - but I'm new to this board and don't know what PM means...sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by michellek75 View Post
    Everyone...Thank you so much for your suggestions...I'm heading out to the local mall this weekend to get what I can (as samples of course). What I can't find there - I will surely find on the web. Then I get to test away

Shycat...I would love a sample as you suggested - but I'm new to this board and don't know what PM means...sorry!
    Hi Michellek75! PM means private message. If you click on the user name you can scroll down to send a PM to that user. Also, if you are interested, I would love to send you a sample of Bois des Iles, which happens to be one of my VERY favorite fragrances and would be lovely to wear for a wedding. Just PM me if you would like a sample. Bois des Iles is only available in Chanel Boutiques so if you are fortunate enough to live somewhere near one you can try it there. Good luck with your search.

Bois des Isles is a wonderful scent and I think it would be perfect. But bare in mind that this one is no longer available in pure parfum (at least we can't get it in Canada any more and Chanel told me it has stopped production) and only exists as an eau de toilette in a 200ml bottle only available in Chanel boutiques (Les exclusifs). Personally, I would be worried about being able to find it 20 years from now. If that is not a concern to you, then it is perfect. I own the pure parfum and well as the EDT and I love it best in the summer heat.

Another one I thought you might like is Narcisco Rodrigues. Sample that one. A bit sweet, musky but it stays close to the body. It's very sexy.

i love dolce vita too! love those sweet, woody oriental perfumes
    another of my favourites is versace woman, although it isnt really similar
    actually i recommend angel by thierry mugler

If you want something different for your wedding, and don´t want Dolce Vita, why not go for wonderful Coco, if you are fond of it? If you don´t want a whole bottle, just go for samples! The bottle you can always get later, whenever you deside! I like all concentations of Coco, but if it is hot when you get married, perhaps the EdT is preferable.

Do trust your own nose! All perfumes turns out different on different skins!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I love Dolce Vita too! I haven't worn it in a while.

You know I just love the story behind Fleurissimo by Creed. This fragrance was made especially for Grace Kelly on her wedding day. Can you imagine your man having one of the best perfume houses create a perfume just for you to wear on your wedding day.

The scent is very floral though. It makes me feel pretty when I wear it. I love it. It's funny because I usually either like sweet or spicy perfume.