Code of Conduct

Default What Would Leonidas wear?

The famous Spartan Leader.
    Just watched 300 and thought....

He's a Kouros type of guy

Default Re: What Would Leonidas wear?

Hmm...maybe Mitsouko? Just playing. Perhaps Kouros or something like Quorum. Or, dare I say, Egoiste? For some reason, that one is coming to mind.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme. It's brooding, dark, and uberly masculine; perfect match for him.

Rochas Macassar!

Diptyque - EAU D'ÉLIDE

Bitter orange, wild lavender, musk, aromatic shrubs : a bucolic water suggesting the ancient Greek country at the hour of noon. A trace of faun.

He'd wear Antaeus!

Xerxes would wear Kouros.

Speaking of 300, I'm more interested to know what Xerxes would wear. But I agree that Leonidas will be a Kouros type.

Of all these kinds of threads, this is the most intriguing and I have to confess I don't know the answer! I've never smelled Antaeus nor Kouros so I can't say I'll agree or disagree. Interesting thread though. I'll do some thinking.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Talking Re: What Would Leonidas wear?

Quote Originally Posted by mugler View Post
    Speaking of 300, I'm more interested to know what Xerxes would wear. But I agree that Leonidas will be a Kouros type.
    'Iranians are regarded as the first manufacturers of perfume and discoverers of decorative and cosmetic powders and sweet smelling oils or beauty creams.
    It would be a pity for Iran not to be among the main manufacturers of expensive perfumes in the world at the present time.
    According to the stone inscriptions of Persepolis (1 & 2), making of chains and umbrellas were among the innovations of Iranian of the Achaemenian era.
    Plants and flowers, perfumes and aromas always attracted the attention of Iranian since the most remote times. In ancient sources, including the stone inscriptions of Achaemenian periods, as well as the Greek and Roman sources and Pahlavi texts, clear indications can be found about the Iranian's attention to, and interest in, various kinds of perfumes, incenses and sweet aromas.
    In stone images of Persepolis Darius is shown while sitting on a nice chair with two scent bottles or incense bones in front of him, and Xerxes is standing behind him while holding the same kind of flowers in the left hand. These flowers are probably Lily of the Valley or narcissus which were peculiar to the Fars province, and which were mentioned in Islamic sources.
    In another image the Iranian monarch is shown holding a beautiful flower in his left hand (and a protruded umbrella is kept over his head).
    According to Herodotus when Xerxes wanted to pass through Dardanel strait, his troops "burned various kinds of sweet smelling materials or the bridge, and branches of myrtle were scattered on it. Then the sun rose and Xerxes sprayed wine in water from a golden bowl. Everybody was crowned by means of flowers."

Who would have guessed????

So I take it he was smelling better than what most people would assume!!!!

Oh and by the way if you'd like to read he whole article the link is:
    http://www.parstimes.com/women/perfume.html

My answer to the initial question is:

Leonidas

Diptyque-Philosykos,
    Why?Well the fig tree says it all,he also had a great heart,would have probably shared it with his wife.
    Last edited by marcos_xs; 27th April 2007 at 03:52 PM.

I'm gonna say Aqua Velva. There's something about an Aqua Velva man.

(plus having to shave their chests all the time, they definitely would need an aftershave!!)

I'm sorry but i don't see him as the kind of person to use a fragrance, maybe he would use some body oils?
    maybe some incense scented body oil?

Dependent

Caron L'Anarchiste
    he'd love the smell of blood and copper in the morning... it would smell like...
    nah I won't spoil it.

As a historian, I'm prone to thinking of what the ancients had at their disposal in the past. While I think that the Greeks of antiquity surely enjoyed some of the fragrances available to them, whether they used them as we do or not is the real question...or rather, the first part of the question.

At the time, it was common for the well-to-do to used perfumed oils in their beards and hair (a practice I've personally seen used in various parts of the world, and I actually used to do it myself; I would add that this was more widely practiced in warm climates, and it was much more noticeable when done there. My wife still laments me shaving off my beard for the military because now I have lost a prime place for me to apply my fragrance) and was a very efficient method of maintaining one's personal fragrance. It literally lasted until the oil was washed off.

This practice, well known to the anicient Greeks, was used by some, but more often than not it was life itself that scented the individual; a good thing for an herb or citrus farmer, a horrible thing for a tanner.

As for the Spartans, they would have shrugged off such personal accents as "frivolous." This should come as no surprise to anyone who has used the word "Spartan" to describe something that is austere and completely lacking in anything that is not absolutely necessary.

In short (I know; too late) Leonidas would have smelled like...well, Leonidas. It would have been such a departure from the Spartan ideal to smell like he added something to his own scent that it would have cost him the respect of those around him, and perhaps even his kingship.

Xerxes would wear...Xeryus!

When I saw the movie I thought of what Xerxes would wear. Especially during that crazy orgy scene with the giant hookah. I say 15 sprays of Muscs Koublaï Khän!!! Oh wait, he probably smelled like that naturally I mean, that guy was obviously a sex animal.

As for Leonidas...I have to agree with CJ. Nothing under any circumstances. He would probably smirk at any guy wearing a scent and tell him he smelled like a cheap prostitute, then kick him into that big hole in the middle of town.

Maybe he would smell like Philosykos...only because he ate a lot of figs.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 28th April 2007 at 12:45 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    As for the Spartans, they would have shrugged off such personal accents as "frivolous." This should come as no surprise to anyone who has used the word "Spartan" to describe something that is austere and completely lacking in anything that is not absolutely necessary.

In short (I know; too late) Leonidas would have smelled like...well, Leonidas. It would have been such a departure from the Spartan ideal to smell like he added something to his own scent that it would have cost him the respect of those around him, and perhaps even his kingship.
    For sure. I'm referring to the character Leonidas in 300. Not the historical figure Leonidas.

I guess if the caracter were to remain true to Spartan ideals no excesses like fragrance would be appreciated.

Carthusia Uomo

Kouros or Antaeus seem credible to me!

some Aoud, original Aoud or Attar (Montale)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Yatagan or Kouros, depends from the mood
    Last edited by Aromabar; 17th February 2009 at 04:52 PM.